Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Question Need some advice!

Hi Everyone,

Recently I was gifted with a 20+ yro blanket that at first I thought was knitted, but it looks more like an oversized needlepoint type stich? It was wadded up in a box in storage and was given to me when I discovered it. It is very dusty and I would like to clean it. Does anyone know how I should do this? I'd hate to do the wrong thing and ruin it. Gentle wash and dry flat? Dry clean? Any and all help is appreciated

! (The photo is from when I first took it out of the box)

*if this is the wrong spot to post, I am sorry...just wasn't sure what heading to put it under!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

It might be cross stitch over 2 threads on a 18 count afghan fabric since I see a lot of back stitching. I do a lot of stitching on this type of fabric. Cleaning would also depend on what type of thread is used: wool, cotton floss, etc. Red thread tends to run at times and could ruin the item if washed in anything other than cold water and some fabric and/or threads are not recommended to be dry cleaned. I'll look through some of my books and see if I can find more info for you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
It might be cross stitch over 2 threads on a 18 count afghan fabric since I see a lot of back stitching. I do a lot of stitching on this type of fabric. Cleaning would also depend on what type of thread is used: wool, cotton floss, etc. Red thread tends to run at times and could ruin the item if washed in anything other than cold water and some fabric and/or threads are not recommended to be dry cleaned. I'll look through some of my books and see if I can find more info for you.

--Diane....that would be a huge help! Thank you! It definitely feels like wool. When I get off work, I will go home and try to get another close up photo of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #4  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's beautiful! No idea on cleaning but if nothing else (or as a kind of pre-cleaning), could you vacuum it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

The person who gave it to you does not know what the yarn is? There is no tag at all on it? It looks like it could have been professionally made, but some people are that talented and it could also hand made.

If you go with washing, my suggestion would be in the tub, COLD water with oxyclean then hang dry. Dont rub it. Just let it soak and gently swish it around every so often so all parts get it. If a lot of dirt comes out, drain the tub and repeat. I have used it on wool and it was fine. I just did an American Indian wall hanging this way and have always done the decorative embroidery table linens like this. But the safest thing to do is test a corner.
On the other hand....dry cleaning is a thought. Feels like I see the red has already bled a bit? A good dry cleaner could probably tell you by feeling it if it is safe to do.

Let us know what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Follow up on my post: I don't think this is needlepoint canvas since it looks soft but if it is it needs to be dry cleaned and not pressed. If it is fabric, I can see the cross stitches especially in the leaves, it can be washed but in cool water but I would not put it in a washing machine. If you have a needlework shop near you they would be the best to help you figure out the fabric and thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #7  
Linking Queen

I would research ingredients etc but perhaps dry shampoo might do the trick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
The person who gave it to you does not know what the yarn is? There is no tag at all on it? It looks like it could have been professionally made, but some people are that talented and it could also hand made.

It's definitely hand made. The person I got it from was clearing out a garage from a estate sale and the box on the side said 'Grannie''s stuff'. I thought whoever made it, definitely put a lot of time and effort into it and I wanted to save it. I'm taking it over to a dry cleaners after work today to see what they say, but I like your bathtub idea too. I called a local, well regarded yarn shop and they just said, 'Take it to the cleaners'. I've got it laying out in my spare room, flat on the floor, trying to get the wrinkles out from being wadded up. I'm really hoping I don't screw this up. I also looked at it again, there isn't a bleed from the red, its the way my camera took the photo, thank goodness.

Last edited by pepperann; 10-04-2019 at 06:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a local quilt shop they might have a suggestion. This is lovely by the way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Yay for no bleed!
How big is it?

Grandmas rock. They make the coolest stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2019, 03:30 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

After searching on line, I recently took a 70-year-old wool knitted or crocheted afghan that was made for my mother, to a dry cleaner known for taking care with vintage items. I called a couple, checked Yelp for reviews, then talked to the manager and made sure he’d be there when dropping it off. He said it would be dry cleaned separately.

A forum I found mostly did not recommend dry cleaning, but it looks brand new, as it did before. And there’s no dry cleaning odor.

If washing, mild soap like Woolite or baby shampoo in cold water was mostly recommended due to the lower PH. Some said enzyme free but others didn’t. Several pointed out movement is what shrinks wool, so for rinsing, gently press down in the water, and never wring. Then lay out carefully.

My afghan is double thickness and brightly colored, including reds, with white cat hair on one part (thank you Luka), and washing seemed difficult plus I was afraid of bleeding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Default Looks like it was made in the late 70s or early 80s

This is Tunisian crochet, a form of crocheting that uses a very long hook to make that even appearing background fabric. Because of its appearance, the fabric can be easily cross stitched.

Your afghan is a real piece of art and I am so happy that you appreciate it enough to take proper care of it. I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come!!!

Last edited by valeriecathleen; 10-08-2019 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by valeriecathleenView Post
This is Tunisian crochet, a form of crocheting that uses a very long hook to make that even appearing background fabric. Because of its appearance, the fabric can be easily cross stitched.

Your afghan is a real piece of art and I am so happy that you appreciate it enough to take proper care of it. I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come!!!

Many people appreciate quilts for their handiwork and IMHO, the same is not given to other needle-crafted items such as your lovely afghan. If you wash it, use cold water, gently squish baby shampoo through it, run cool water back into the bathtub to thoroughly rinse, gently roll it in a towel to dry, then lay it flat to dry on a large table or bed. Then shape it (that's called blocking it back into shape.) Never hang it to dry as the weight of the wet afghan will pull on the threads and pull them out of shape or perhaps break them, depending on how vintage your afghan is. When dry, enjoy by displaying on the back of a sofa or on a padded quilt rack out of the sunlight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default TEST COLOR-FASTNESS BEFORE WASHING

This looks like a crocheted afghan (single crochet) with embroidered design. Best bet is to hang outside first to get rid of as much of the dust as possible. Then wash gently in cold water with a gentle lingerie soap (NOT Woolite), after testing a little corner to see if the red is color-fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

If you go with washing, my suggestion would be in the tub, COLD water with oxyclean then hang dry. Dont rub it. Just let it soak and gently swish it around every so often so all parts get it. If a lot of dirt comes out, drain the tub and repeat. I have used it on wool and it was fine. I just did an American Indian wall hanging this way and have always done the decorative embroidery table linens like this. But the safest thing to do is test a corner.
On the other hand....dry cleaning is a thought. Feels like I see the red has already bled a bit? A good dry cleaner could probably tell you by feeling it if it is safe to do.

I would NOT hang something like this to dry, it could easily pull out of shape. If you wash it (and I'm with taking it to a cleaner that handles vintage pieces) I would lay it flat to dry. If you have an unused bed, cover the bed with a plastic dropcloth, then layer with towels {beach towels work well}, and lay it flat to dry. Really, don't hang it, just like you wouldn't hang a hand knit sweater.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #16  
Linking Queen

Just adding that the towels should be white or ivory (definitely NOT red) to prevent color bleed/transfer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I've never had a towel bleed, but that's a way to extra sure, I guess.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #18  
Linking Queen

Yes, Pat ... extra caution because the item is precious.
Reply With Quote Likes