Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has this happened to you?

I have been making cards for more than 10 years. I confess I am a technique fanatic. I love trying new. I have many ideas, make tons of cards, and do not have a slump or usual burn out. BUT as much as I enjoy making the cards and love them at the moment, I find when I want to send one from my stash, I no longer like them. Is this a normal passage of the long term card maker?

When I make a card for a special occasion or person and it goes out right away— no problem. It is when I stockpile the ones I had so much fun making. They just don’t measure up when I look back at them.

Any clues? Any advice?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

It doesn't often happen to me. The ones I'm slower to send, it's more because they're not my style than that I don't actually still like them. Especially CAS cards ths t I might have made for a challenge.I have a box of "keeper" cards that only get sent to special people, and some of them could be ten years, I guess. Occasionally I cull it and move since into the sending box, but I have plenty of older ones I still love.
But, if you've enjoyed making them, that's the most important thing. Would you consider donating them if you find you don't send them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Well I cringe when I see my older work. (which could be 2 days ago-just kidding! sort of)

Perhaps because your skill set has advanced you see those cards as less than what you would make today?

We are always our own worst critics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

For me it's when I made a card that not my style. I just finished making a lot of Halloween cards and I made one with printed paper that had very muted, dull colors in shade of orange, brown and black with an image in the same shades. Usually my Halloween cards have cute or funny images with bright orange, green and purple and black. That card is still sitting on my desk and I can't think of anyone I'd send it to and I really don't like it. It will probably end up in the trash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Sometimes that happens to me when I set them aside for a while. Also, as others said, when I try something that’s not necessarily my favorite style. But that’s ok, lots of styles out there and I’ve found that my family and friends are usually less critical than I am and enjoy using them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes, the same exact thing happens to me and my sister

It's so true when looking at my premade cards, I always think, "I need to make one new with the receiver in mind"! Glad it's not just me that thinks that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Cards We've Made That Don't Meet Our High Standards

Oh, please don't ever throw away one of your handcrafted cards! Even if you hate it, every single one is precious.

As was mentioned, we are our own worst critics.
I have a few things I do with cards I can't bear to look at after I've made them: I drop them off at church with a note "Save for the next Rummage Sale, give to a shut-in/ill parishioner, use as a thank-you card..." OR I donate to the local seniors thrift store - I never see them in the "cards for sale" box, so someone quickly buys them, even if I thought they were ugly.
OR I will stop and talk to a homeless person begging on the street and ask them their name. Then I write their name in the card and give it to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I, too, have had cards which are not my style any more. Try to think of someone to send one to. What we don't like, someone else will probably be thrilled to receive. Carry a few in your purse and give it out to someone who has done something nice for you (ie..waitress, store clerk, gas station attendant, desk clerk at a hotel,etc).

Hope this help you out. Happy Stampin'!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2019, 02:57 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I throw away cards all the time, what I see in my head is not what is on the finished card so out it goes. When I need to get a card in the mail in a timely fashion, I usually do simpler cards and save my experimenting for cards for the stash or just for the fun of trying something new to see what happens.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2019, 04:18 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

That happens to me and, like others have said, it's usually with cards where I tried a different style that ended up not being "me". Those cards always linger in the card box for awhile and eventually either my daughters will use it to give to a friend or it goes in the bag with the other cards I donate to a local senior center. I find people (especially elderly people) see beauty in many, many things I may not. Once or twice I did actually throw the card out but that's definitely not what I usually do.

Do you have more people you could send cards to so that they get mailed sooner? Can you donate them to senior centers, hospitals, libraries (our local one likes to sell them for extra funds)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2019, 05:37 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your skills evolve, interests change as do your style and preferences. Isn't that why we are always decorating our homes.

Ironically enough more often that not if I let a loved one "shop" for a card from my stash they end up picking one I had decided I didn't like/wasn't good enough and had given serious consideration to tossing in the trash. Those changes in style have given you variety in your stash and that is a good thing. As has been mentioned, look at what you have thru the lense of what the recipient's tastes are not yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I put a box of assorted cards at church and fill it regularly. Ironically, the cards I didn't like were the first to go! Some of my favs were still there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 06:31 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are we so hard on ourselves, lol.

I'll second the "don't throw them away" sentiment. My creative endeavors rarely turn out as they were envisioned, creativity tends to take over. Embrace it, it is a gift and probably the reason you had fun making the card.

I can pull out all the elements for a card but not glue it together. When I go back "to finish the card", more often than not I've change my mind and end up using completely different papers, embellishments, etc. This could even happen at different times of the same day. That too is creativity at work. My question for myself now is why did I take the time to put something together when I know I'll change it later. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 653 Likes on 438 Posts

I'm in this club too. Often it's because I'm in love with whatever the "latest" cards on all the cards artist/stamp company blogs. I have simply just moved on to a new look. My strategy: I make a list at the end of each year of all the special people I want to make cards for and I work down that list and store them till their birthday, special occasion, etc. Since I made it for that person, I am usually still pleased even it's months later that I send it. And I make the cards for individuals as I'm inspired by the blogs, not chronologically by the dates (if that makes sense). When I finish a card that just doesn't seem right or I decide I want something different for that person, I put it in a second pile. When I get a bunch, I donate the cards. There are a few orgs I have found on line and there are several great suggestions here in this thread. Keep stamping and trying new things and enjoying. It's good for our souls -- the crafters and the card recipients.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I totally agree with estamps - I have tons of cards, and when I need one to send, I don't like the ones I have, or I like them too much to send them out. They seem to multiply overnight. I give some to my niece as a gift, but I still have way too many. And I can't stop making them - I'd go nuts!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

A similar thing happens on this end. Often I like the card alright...but something is off. Like, although I too am a technique fan, they’re not me, or like earlier mentioned it’s not ideal for the person in mind. Sometimes, to me, they look like I was trying too hard, lol. I have a friend who does a lot of written correspondence and snail mail and I pass a bundle on to her every few months.
Terry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Oh boy-so glad to know that I am not the only one. I will think they are not good enough to send - that I must make a special one for each person I want to send to. If I do have a favorite one that I have made-I hate to let the last one go-because I might want to make more and I need to save one for a sample of how I did it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

When I get a bunch of cards stockpiled that I'm just not crazy about, I send them off to my elderly aunt who is thrilled to get them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Faded fondness for cards after making them

I’ve come to realize that what I like most about paper arts and Cardmaking is the excitement of:

1. acquiring materials and equipment

2. playing with ideas

3. the actual process of creating

4. sometimes casing a card I love that someone else has designed

5. someone else truly liking the outcome

Sometimes I like cards so much, I’ll share/teach/demo the making of them with a fun group (sometimes ad Infiniti’s), having all materials necessary. Then there’s the dry spell until the next motivation to make one. Occasional collection purge to a women’s organization or school or church or senior residence or anyone who might enjoy sending or giving them to someone who might enjoy them.

Last edited by macroartist; 09-17-2019 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every so often I sort thru my collection of completed cards. If after a while I've skipped over it when selecting one to send or my regular card buyers don't choose it, I will salvage any useful parts of it and throw the rest away. However, I've been rethinking that recently. I'm considering donating the ones that just don't suit my taste because I'm certain there are those out there that would appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm just the opposite. I've pretty much gotten out of stamping the last few years and have no desire to get back in. I have some I have made 5-6 years ago and am really impressed that I would do that!!!!!

Wanda, buttons2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Donate them to Cards For Soldiers! You'll feel great about them going to a good cause plus your freeing yourself of hanging onto them! Look up the name- there is probably a contact in your city and if not, maybe reach out to the closest one and see if they want to take up a donation in their group of card makers to cover shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I’d definitely donate them. I also write to More Love Letters and send cards. They highlight a few people who are in need of cheering up and explain why. They are very deserving. Or give them to friends. I have a girlfriend who loves my cards. I give her special cards just for her but I also give her cards to give away. I do the same for my sister. I also package up cards to give as hostess gifts. They don’t have to be a set, just pack the cards and envelopes in a nice bag or box and add a cute tag! They also make a nice Thank you gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
I have been making cards for more than 10 years. I confess I am a technique fanatic. I love trying new. I have many ideas, make tons of cards, and do not have a slump or usual burn out. BUT as much as I enjoy making the cards and love them at the moment, I find when I want to send one from my stash, I no longer like them. Is this a normal passage of the long term card maker?

When I make a card for a special occasion or person and it goes out right away— no problem. It is when I stockpile the ones I had so much fun making. They just don’t measure up when I look back at them.

Any clues? Any advice?
I have the EXACT situation....when I die there will literally be hundreds of cards in boxes in my craft room that never got sent...also in the boxes are ones that at the moment I thought were so cute I had to keep it! At the moment I am obsessed with the box card die-Dang, those are cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

I like the idea of giving to senior residents, often they get no mail at all. I can call all the senior living residences and get a list of names....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I belonged to a club years ago. I just found a box of the cards I had made back then. They're really nice cards but they're just not my style anymore. So just the other day, I gave my next door neighbor 65 cards (and envelopes). She was thrilled. So don't throw away your cards. There are loads of people who would love to have them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I, too, look back at cards I made ages ago and don't really care for them. From everybody's input so far I've gleaned some great ideas - remake the card; salvage what I want off it; give away to any number of charitable organizations; package them for a hostess gift; give to a homeless person etc. Thanks so much!!!!

I have one other idea - I often thank people who serve me or work somewhere I go like a doctor's office and even the mall. I thank them for coming to work that day because they've helped me have a good visit, a clean bathroom, a lovely meal etc. I think I'm going to keep cards with me and give to these people. That way they have proof - lasting proof that someone saw them that day and acknowledged them and was grateful for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I once had my SIL take my rejects out of my waste basket & go home with them! I was blown away... More often, my problem is I love some cards so much, I never send them! Then I have a talk with myself & realize how silly that is...but I still save those favorites for someone I feel will appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
For me it's when I made a card that not my style. I just finished making a lot of Halloween cards and I made one with printed paper that had very muted, dull colors in shade of orange, brown and black with an image in the same shades. Usually my Halloween cards have cute or funny images with bright orange, green and purple and black. That card is still sitting on my desk and I can't think of anyone I'd send it to and I really don't like it. It will probably end up in the trash.
Follow up to this post: I showed my husband this card and asked his opinion on it. He looked at it for several minutes and didn't say anything then asked who I was sending it to. When I replied I couldn't think of anyone who would like it he replied "That's good because whoever received it would think that you disliked them. This is the most depressing Halloween card you've ever made."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

DianeinSparks: If my husband had ever said something like that to me, I'd never show him another card I'd made! Just a bit harsh...IMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
DianeinSparks: If my husband had ever said something like that to me, I'd never show him another card I'd made! Just a bit harsh...IMHO.
My husband is my biggest fan and I've been making cards for over 25 years and this is the first one he's ever disliked - that's how bad a card it is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2019, 05:47 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My husband and I have very little family so card stash builds quickly. I save the "spectacular" ones for my own use. My neighbors always wanted to buy my cards, would pick out some and say they would be back with the money. Never happened. I started donating them to a local nursing home until I found out the staff kept them. Now I take them to the home and sit with the residents while they sign the cards in advance, making it difficult for the staff to take them. I also recently called a neighbor, showed her a box and said "Just take any you want. I don't care if it's one or all of them."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
My husband is my biggest fan and I've been making cards for over 25 years and this is the first one he's ever disliked - that's how bad a card it is!
My husband was my biggest fan as well...the problem being he would NEVER criticize any cards, so asking for a real opinion was useless...he just loved them all! So at least your husband was truthful...and I sincerely doubt your card was all that bad...after all, it was a Halloween card which is supposed to be a little dark...LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

I’m actually the opposite. I go on creative binges and make lots of cards. Then I sell them or give them away. When I look back at my older cards I’m always amazed that I made that cause I forgot what I had made
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

Default stockpile of cards

I too sometimes don't like some of my cards because I like to experiment. The fun is in the designing. My problem is an abundance of cards and I need to find a home for them. I do give some to a nursing home near me but they can only take so many. Does anyone know of places that I can send my cards too that will put them to good use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 06:00 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Too many cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmksugarView Post
I too sometimes don't like some of my cards because I like to experiment. The fun is in the designing. My problem is an abundance of cards and I need to find a home for them. I do give some to a nursing home near me but they can only take so many. Does anyone know of places that I can send my cards too that will put them to good use?
I have seen lists of addresses on this site to donate, but you sound like me. You Love the designing and techniques and most donation sites have limits .

Even when I give my cards as gifts, I hesitate to tuck in the ones that take extra postage. Those are the ones I have the most fun designing. Interactive cards and layers layers plus bling additions are favorites. Lately I have been trying to make flat cards and it seems like I am making the same card over and over— just changing themes, dies, and colors. I like trying different. Happy card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmksugarView Post
Please check out our Cards for a Cause right here on the forum. Each month there is a different place that wants or needs our cards and it is so satisfying have a "home" for our cards if you want to do that. I don't have a large circle of friends or family but I love to make cards!
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by Dorie95; 09-21-2019 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: wanted to add something
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

The staff at the nursing home took the cards? Oh H No....I would be on the phone to the admin in a heartbeat. :mad:

If one has the time, one might approach their local hospital to ask if they can walk around on the floors and ask patients if they would like to pick from a basket/box-maybe go with the volunteer with the mag/book cart. People like to thank the nurses and staff or send a bday card and dont want to bother friends to bring them one...or dont have someone to ask.

Or take them to a family homeless shelter so a parent can give a kid a bday/holiday card.

I know if I let my friends at them, they would definitely take some.

Absolutely have had the same experience-cards I dont love are the ones other people do, and not the ones I like best. I think bc we are looking at them with different eyes. We see the elements, we know we love this particular technique...

Sounds like the lesson here is DONT hold on to them too long! :lol: Take a pic of the ones you love so you can repeat them later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely stockpile pre-made cards inasmuch each card is made for a specific person. I do make Christmas cards ahead of time - one design for all my recipients. I just found an extra Christmas card I made many years ago and, even though it is very simple, I still like it. However, that is not to say that I don't sometimes make ugly cards. I just grace the trash can with those as I don't think they are even fit for donation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

I feel like crafting is like fashion......today it's IN, tomorrow, it's OUT~
We evolve with our techniques and when we look back, it's like saying
I can't believe I ever wore that!
Reply With Quote Likes