Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: new type of makeup brushes for blending

OH my goshhh, I absolutely L:pOVE the new type of makeup brushes for blending inks. I have tried and tried many different tools to blend ink but, I could never get them to blend without lines and uneven marks on my cards. I have tried the finger daubers, makeup sponges and have watched many videos on it , but have not been successful. Plus, with my arth, it really hurts to use these... until now.....
I bought some of those makeup brushes with the very fine bristles and they WORK! Plus my fingers don't get all cramped in using them. Where have they been my whole life?! I love the long handle on them, they are just magnificent! Plus with very little effort on my part.
I only have one question, how does one clean them? I have used a baby wipe on mine and that seems to work, but I just want to check with the experts here for more ideas.
Color me (pardon the pun) so happy to blend!
Sue Ellen

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2019, 12:56 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Sue Ellen, I've seen Jennifer McGuire use the Picket Fence ones in videos, and she said, and showed that all she does is to scrub them lightly over a microfibre cloth. I have a set of the Make up ones from Amazon, and intend to get a couple more, as like you say, they are great to work with, and brilliant if you are just trying to get a very light background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2019, 04:13 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I've chosen the new brushes from Taylored Expressions because of the colored handles and white bristles. I don't think that cleaning after each use is going to be a big deal, since each brush is used for a different color family. I will be doing the "Jennifer McGuire thing" and using a dry microfiber cloth to deal with any cleaning issues I need to.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have the makeup brushes (and stand) from Amazon. I do the microfiber thing, too, until the end of the session. Then I just take them to the sink and run water over them, squeeze out the excess, and put them in their stand to dry until the next go 'round. Probably overkill, but I am who/what I am...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I use the microfiber towel and sometimes spritz it with water from the small spray bottle that's always on the desk. I never could use the Tim Holtz tools.......got good with a dauber but these brushes really are amazing.........so much faster!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sue Ellen,
Exactly what are your blending brushes called from Amazon? I can’t quite determine exact product from your post.
I purchased Life Changing brushes and they have not made much diff in blending for me.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not Sue Ellen, but this is what I have:
These are the brushes: Yoseng 10-pc brush set
and this is the rack: Clear acrylic 10-hole drying rack

From what I've been able to gather, these are pretty much identical to the Picket Fence brushes except for branding. They've made a huge difference for me (and many others). If you haven't seen a difference it's probably because you're really good at blending!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 03:00 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I wanted to get some more the other day, and a search for professional Make Up brushes yielded only the typical make up brush shape. Turns out, they now seem to be called Toothbrush Style Make-up Brushes. So, if you're having problems finding them, give that description a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 04:21 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Just out of curiosity, do people tend to use all the sizes in a set, or one size more than the others. I'm still quite happy with my blending tool and brushes, but I was wondering down the road if 5 the same size would be more practical than a set of mixed sizes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 04:23 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Gregzgurl.......you made me laugh and I had to reread your comment.
Good at it? I have to work way too hard to get smooth results. Ok for a couple cards, not ok for bunches of cards.
Could be my technique. We’re told not to have a heavy hand. I start out light handed but find I have to bear down for an all over even look.
The make up brushes.....are these the ones that look identical to the Picket Fence brushes?
Wonder if there really is a difference in how and what they’re made of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Duh.....I see where you say identical looking to Picket brushes. Guess it doesn’t matter if same quality or not.
They work and cheaper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 05:15 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Chris01, I did a blog post on these brushes when I bought them- the make-up version- and had a commenter leave a comment saying she had brought a set of the PF ones, and three of them had 'foundation' 'blusher' and 'eyeshadow' on the handles!
Cook22, I do use the larger ones more than the smaller, but the small ones are really useful for adding 'spot' colour to images, so don't use them as often, but do use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It’s unlikely, but in case anyone else has the same type of minor hand issue I have, these brushes are too painful to use. (And the results were about the same as what I get with blending tools, or if I want an even softer look, Tim’s brushes or Clarity. I mostly blend Oxides, which are very forgiving.)

The problem is gripping something thin, due to a minor injury and then arthritis, below the thumb on that pad just above the wrist. If you touch a finger with your thumb, that area that folds in. (It’s not carpal tunnel.)

Sleeves made to widen grip can be slipped over narrow pencils/pens. But since the make-up style brushes are curved and ultra skinny, it would be difficult to widen them enough. Holding at the bottom hurts too.

Even Ranger’s/Tim’s blending tools are a little narrow, but manageable.

I’m a brush/blender (and trimmer) addict, so this pains me, and I’m not talking about my hand. ;)

Last edited by bjeans; 09-21-2019 at 03:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
mcschmidty (09-22-2021)
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments on using the makeup brushes for blending. I had been wanting to order a set, but found the Picket Fence ones expensive. I just placed an order on Amazon for the makeup brushes and the clear holder, can't wait to try them out, as my blending is not so good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Blender brushes

I would love to buy a set of Taylored Expressions blender brushes but can not seem to find them anywhere. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought the picket fence brushes first, (had a credit from Amazon) and then the makeup brushes that are similar looking. If you bring up the picket fence ones, the makeup brushes are also shown.

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.

My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

ohhh I missed the holder! tu

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin"T"View Post
I would love to buy a set of Taylored Expressions blender brushes but can not seem to find them anywhere. Any suggestions?
Taylored Expressions sells their own products on their website; they are not sold through other companies like Simon Says Stamp. They have excellent customer service, in my opinion, and ship promptly. I believe the brushes are currently in pre-order status for the next shipment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 02:47 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Sue Ellen,
Exactly what are your blending brushes called from Amazon? I can’t quite determine exact product from your post.
I purchased Life Changing brushes and they have not made much diff in blending for me.
Thanks!
I find the ink and paper make a big difference as well. Distress Oxide Inks are amazing and for perfect results use Bristol smooth card. I got terrible results before I tried this combo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin"T"View Post
According to the Taylored Expressions website, they are expecting their next order in mid-October, and it should be in stores by the end of October. I was talking with one of their reps today, who said that TE's first two orders were very small and this next one is huge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

good point about the paper! I generally use Stampin up paper, what weight is the Bristol?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 04:12 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I’m so frustrated!

I bought the small set of PF brushes and love them. But for the same amount of money I could have bought the whole set of makeup brushes and the holder on Amazon. Oh well. Now I know and I will add the set of makeup brushes to my collection because I definitely want smaller ones.
As far as cleaning, I use a microfiber cloth as I’m working on a project, but do clean with a tiny bit of soap and water when I’m done. Shake as much water out as possible because it does take a little while for them to dry completely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 04:30 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I got my make-up brushes on Amazon- Starter Makers, recommended by Dina when the brushes were all the rage in the beginning, when they first came out. The handles are flexible & won't break. (I hold the head of the brush on the larger brushes when blending too, which might help with your hands bjeans!) I also got my carousel through Simon Says Stamp. Had to snatch it up quickly when it came back in stock, now they have the clear ones too. AND then I got a small 4" Lazy Susan on Amazon which works nicely! I only needed to add a bit of oil to make it roll smoothly when it came. Do I use each brush? I color coded mine with Washi Tape for colors & sealed them over with clear packing tape. The only one's I don't use as much are the little ones, but for small areas they might be useful. I too LOVE the smooth blending they do !!!! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 05:02 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my blending brushes from Honey Bee, on line shop out of Oregon. Inexpensive, quick ship. They have a set of 2 or a set of 3 depending upon what you might need. Inexpensive. I love them. I find I am using the med. sized one the most but the little ones are great for using with stencil accents. I clean them off on paper towel or micro cloth. Easier to use for me and a better result in a smoother blend.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I have a set that I bought on Amazon too. At least PF isn't going after other companies that are coming out with the same products. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I forgot to mention, I tried cleaning my brushes in the beginning, buying some silicone scrubby pads on Amazon... (They were the closest I could come to what was offered by one company, to hurry you to buy the brushes as it was only a promotional) but I don't think they removed the deep down ink. And I would just let them sit on Paper Towels- bristles down to let it drain/dry. Ink was always on the paper towel in the morning. But, color coding them helps so I don't have to do anything, but wipe them on my Micro Fiber Clothe. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish I had seen that holder when I bought my brushes @ Amazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Got my original make up brushes at Walmart and have gotten others thru Amazon. I find I use the medium and smaller ones more than the large unless I am doing a whole stencil in the same color. I rinse under the faucet, sometimes with a bit of dish soap, rinse and dry on a terry cloth. I store them upright in wide mouth jar. Never saw the holder - may be tempted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

I also found some at the dollar tree, they would be medium size. I already had the ones from amazon but bought some dollar tree ones because, why not have extras?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I have a set that I bought on Amazon too. At least PF isn't going after other companies that are coming out with the same products. ;)
They can't go after other companies because they are not the originators of the idea or original execution of that idea. These brushes were already being used for makeup - see Shaz's post (#12) above. The same thing is true of those egg-shaped "blending sponges"...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejluykView Post
I purchased my blending brushes from Honey Bee, on line shop out of Oregon. Inexpensive, quick ship. They have a set of 2 or a set of 3 depending upon what you might need. Inexpensive. I love them. I find I am using the med. sized one the most but the little ones are great for using with stencil accents. I clean them off on paper towel or micro cloth. Easier to use for me and a better result in a smoother blend.
Is that the same HOneybee that sells natural cosmetics? I used to love the shiny penny lipstick. It had sparkles! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
They can't go after other companies because they are not the originators of the idea or original execution of that idea. These brushes were already being used for makeup - see Shaz's post (#12) above. The same thing is true of those egg-shaped "blending sponges"...
Right. Other companies have done this anyway, though. It's good to have choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I got my make-up brushes on Amazon- Starter Makers, recommended by Dina when the brushes were all the rage in the beginning, when they first came out. The handles are flexible & won't break. (I hold the head of the brush on the larger brushes when blending too, which might help with your hands bjeans!) I also got my carousel through Simon Says Stamp. Had to snatch it up quickly when it came back in stock, now they have the clear ones too. AND then I got a small 4" Lazy Susan on Amazon which works nicely! I only needed to add a bit of oil to make it roll smoothly when it came. Do I use each brush? I color coded mine with Washi Tape for colors & sealed them over with clear packing tape. The only one's I don't use as much are the little ones, but for small areas they might be useful. I too LOVE the smooth blending they do !!!! ;)<3
Thanks for thinking of me - and yes, I had also tried holding the head of the larger brushes, which is what I meant when I said holding at the bottom hurts too, since the head (top) becomes the bottom when putting the brush down on paper and not up on faces. And if you follow that convoluted logic of mine, be afraid. ;)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgpunkyView Post
Is that the same HOneybee that sells natural cosmetics? I used to love the shiny penny lipstick. It had sparkles! LOL

Nope. Honey Bee Stamps: https://honeybeestamps.com/ They have some neat stamps.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I have the makeup brushes (and stand) from Amazon. I do the microfiber thing, too, until the end of the session. Then I just take them to the sink and run water over them, squeeze out the excess, and put them in their stand to dry until the next go 'round. Probably overkill, but I am who/what I am...

This is what I do. I have a separate brush for each color family and they are labeled. Still I wash them with mild soap and warm water aftr each session. they dry in no time and after much use, they still look the same as the day they arrived.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Just out of curiosity, do people tend to use all the sizes in a set, or one size more than the others. I'm still quite happy with my blending tool and brushes, but I was wondering down the road if 5 the same size would be more practical than a set of mixed sizes?

I bought a set of the different sizes and found the smaller ones come in handy for small spots and the larger ones for stenciling and backgrounds. That being said I did buy another set of all the same size and labeled them for each color family. I still like sponging (never did do well with dabber or the blending tools) but I truly live these brushes for very fine professional looking blending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Thanks for thinking of me - and yes, I had also tried holding the head of the larger brushes, which is what I meant when I said holding at the bottom hurts too, since the head (top) becomes the bottom when putting the brush down on paper and not up on faces. And if you follow that convoluted logic of mine, be afraid. ;)

Beth
Smiling here! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Nope. Honey Bee Stamps: https://honeybeestamps.com/ They have some neat stamps.

What category are their brushes under? I've looked & can't find them. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I decided I’d prefer all the same size too. I got one set with lots of sizes but only uses the medium and the tiny ones every so often. So I found just the medium ones. They are about 1.25” long way of the oval. I have one dedicated to each colour family so I just brush the excess off on a rag, with a tiny squirt of water if the colour is dark.

But the smallest and largest I don’t have dedicated to a colour family. So I clean them after every use. I just use a spray of water on my rag, maybe three spritzes instead of just one and repeat until I don’t see any colour on my rag. That’s it! I also clean them like this when I use pigment or hybrid ink as they seem to leave more residue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Not including my paint brushes, I have 5 sets of different brushes (Judikins dusters, stipple brushes, stencil brushes, makeup sponge brushes, and makeup duster brushes) already and they will do. No more brushes for me.
Reply With Quote Likes