Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Absolutely dead-on point, Shaz! Thanks for mentioning it, as I 'm sure most of us would not have considered it, but it's totally true!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

when people say this i treat it like "how are you?" polite banter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Oh that is a good point Shaz,

( I refer to my cards as OOAK ... One of a Kind)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by this is funView Post
But it gets me thinking...if we want to sell this type of art; perhaps we should do it and frame it! Then they are looking at ORIGINAL wall art and then people would be comparing to merchandise priced more in the target price ranges.

This is a brilliant idea! Especially for card fronts that have a lot of dimension and don't really need a big fat greeting obscuring them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my cards for a while at a shop and while I enjoyed it, I did feel pressure then to create with seasons and holidays in mind and even did some that were not my personal style in order to be more sale-able. However, I was in control of the pricing and people were free to buy or not at the prices I designated.

I have a cousin who asked me if I sold my cards and when I said yes she asked me how much I sell them for. I said that they were $3-5 each. She said she wanted to buy 20 cards but only wanted to pay $20. I naively said that I could do some simpler cards for that price thinking it was a family member and a one time deal. However, she then ordered another set here and there. She recently got in touch again and I had some card pieces already cut from a previous project and put some cards together for her, but this time I paid attention to my time and even with the precut pieces it took me a couple/few hours! I sent the cards to her via my sister, but this time I didn't give her envelopes. She still hasn't paid me and we had a text exchange about the lack of envelopes and I pointed her to places where she could purchase some.....never heard back and still haven't received a check in the mail. I wish that I had never gotten started on this track because I do value family relationships more than money, but I was feeling resentful. I want to enjoy what I do....not spend time feeling used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Money Saver Expensive

I agree with Covington.

I think I have solved my own problem of the "recurring sales suggestions." I had a stamp made that I use on the back of my cards (except for condolences.) It reads, "The World's Most Expensive Card Company."
Long ago I had a friend and her husband made her cards out of paper napkins, papertowels, back of receipts, etc. They were so sweet and usually scribbled in ballpoint ink. Always they would end "The World's Most Expensive Card Company," and where the price would be on a Hallmark card would be his price, usually in the million to trillion dollar range.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 12:54 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

You are a gem! That is the perfect answer. I am so CASE'ing your answer, lol. It is perfect.

Contrapat- Your friend is a doll. I loved your story of her and your beautiful cards. Yes, they are art. I didn't know we can upload our coloring page creations. You inspired me so much. That's what I am doing now is coloring book pages and turning them into little pieces of art. I swear my stamps are now embellishments and my coloring pages are focal points. I am so happy I peeked at your gallery. You have always inspired me.

On the topic of how long our cards take to make. My DH quilts. I kid you not we had a relative ask my DH to make her a quilt around Christmas one year. She wanted it as her present. She demanded it and said he should make her one because quilts take only one week to make! We are still in shock. This has been several years ago, lol. Of course this is the same relative that told an artisan quilter her $3,000 quilt was way over priced and you can get "quilts" at WalMart cheaper. I am still horrified.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 01:47 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

CovingtonCrafter- I was saying you are a gem. To everyone who is trying to figure out who this gem is. I am having a day, ROFL. I actually quoted you and then started typing like a two year old. No offense to two year olds who can type better than me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #49  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Contrapat- Your friend is a doll. I loved your story of her and your beautiful cards. Yes, they are art. I didn't know we can upload our coloring page creations. You inspired me so much. That's what I am doing now is coloring book pages and turning them into little pieces of art. I swear my stamps are now embellishments and my coloring pages are focal points. I am so happy I peeked at your gallery. You have always inspired me.

I am beyond honored by what you've said! Plus, I am tickled that you can actually use the tip about the coloring pages. Thank you for the kind words.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2019, 03:15 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend posted this on Fb today, thought it was perfect for this conversation.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
It seems that the devaluation of "hobbies" is largely restricted to hobbies in the "craft" realm. I've never heard anyone suggesting that golfers or bowlers or woodworkers or guys who restore cars (or build model cars, for that matter) have "too much stuff or too much time" on their hands.

Yes. The sexism is quite blatant, isn't it?
I rarely tell anyone I craft or even that I sell at craft shows unless they see me working on something and ask specifically what I am doing.
Only other crafters really get it
Reply With Quote Likes