Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ATG Gun (The Pink one)

I have finally used up the very last roll of adhesive that I had. I believe its time to chunk this thing in the garbage. It seems that it wastes more tape than I use. It consistently jams up and I end up have to discard portions of unused adhesive and then the adhesive sometimes will start to stick to the case itself. I know I have it loaded correctly, trust me I have watched all the videos to make sure! Anyone else seem to have trouble with theirs? You know when it works, its a great thing. But I cannot go thru an entire roll without it messing up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love my pink gun! What brand of tape are you using? I find that 3M tape is awful to work with. I buy tape from Tape Jungle and rarely have issues. I’m working on my 4th case of tape so I’ve gone through a lot of rolls.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Yes, I have been using 3M tape. It's so frustrating. I just don't get why it gets clogged up on the lid. It's the weirdest thing. Maybe I will try to order some from Tape Jungle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmc123macView Post
I have finally used up the very last roll of adhesive that I had. I believe its time to chunk this thing in the garbage. It seems that it wastes more tape than I use. It consistently jams up and I end up have to discard portions of unused adhesive and then the adhesive sometimes will start to stick to the case itself. I know I have it loaded correctly, trust me I have watched all the videos to make sure! Anyone else seem to have trouble with theirs? You know when it works, its a great thing. But I cannot go thru an entire roll without it messing up.

I used to have the worst time when I used 3M tape as well, and ended up buying some off-brand ATG tape from the Tape Depot. There's a woman I know who buys a case and sells them for her cost. It is so much better and I almost never waste tape. Loading mine is still kind of a hassle, even though I've been doing it for 5 years, ha!

I started out with the pink ATG, but my husband ran over it in the car (just as I was packing to go to a crop, ugh). I was able to tape it back together enough to use it until I got the red version, which is a bit sturdier.

I can't imagine crafting without my trusty ATG now. I used to use the small Tombow mono adhesive tape runners and went through them so quickly.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 05:58 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I've been using this trick for years, and not had any problems with my ATG as a result - no glue sticking to the dispenser, no tape slipping off the roll: airbornewife's stamping spot: The shim I use in my ATG's I have used the ribbon-roll cardboard, but you could use a couple of circle dies or just freehand-cut. It doesn't have to be pretty to be effective, lol.

Also, in case anyone is curious, I buy refills from Tape Jungle: Shop Scrapbook Tape | ATG Tape | Tape Jungle

Last edited by gregzgurl; 09-03-2019 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

I too have these problems. I hate the bunching up of adhesive at the end of laying it down on the paper. I get some lumps! ugh! Going to try the suggestion of a different tape and the shim. Thanks ladies...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I've been using this trick for years, and not had any problems with my ATG as a result - no glue sticking to the dispenser, no tape slipping off the roll: airbornewife's stamping spot: The shim I use in my ATG's I have used the ribbon-roll cardboard, but you could use a couple of circle dies or just freehand-cut. It doesn't have to be pretty to be effective, lol.

Also, in case anyone is curious, I buy refills from Tape Jungle: Shop Scrapbook Tape | ATG Tape | Tape Jungle

Oh my gosh!! I had never seen or heard of this, even though I used to read airbornewife's blog. Off to make one of these myself. I haven't had much trouble with my tapes but they do sometimes start sliding off the roller.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Instead of the ribbon roll cardboard, I use the plastic core from an empty roll. Just lay it on top of the new roll. It keeps the new roll from moving and keeps it aligned on the rubber roller so you have more control in where the adhesive goes.

If you're getting boogers (that's why I call a lump of adhesive), try stopping about 1/2" from the edge of the paper. Instead of pull up to rip the adhesive, pull back parallel to the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frustration big time... have found myself contemplating throwing the pink ATG gun across the room just to stop the madness with the tape. I tried the shim in the past but the tape still had issues. I finally quit using the gun and just using up the 3M tape by itself, which defeats the purpose of having an ATG tool. Thanks to the OP for posting this as I had thought about asking if any solutions. Will try the Tape Jungle tape. Appreciate the replies about that tape.

Sue, which of the tapes offered at Tape Jungle are you using? I'm thinking the Standard one would work for me as mainly just gluing paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymintView Post
Frustration big time... have found myself contemplating throwing the pink ATG gun across the room just to stop the madness with the tape. I tried the shim in the past but the tape still had issues. I finally quit using the gun and just using up the 3M tape by itself, which defeats the purpose of having an ATG tool. Thanks to the OP for posting this as I had thought about asking if any solutions. Will try the Tape Jungle tape. Appreciate the replies about that tape.

Sue, which of the tapes offered at Tape Jungle are you using? I'm thinking the Standard one would work for me as mainly just gluing paper.

I got these, 1/4" wide for pink ATG, 12-pack: ATG Tape, Double Sided Scrapbook Tape - Wholesale

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Sue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow Sue, looks like the Tape Jungle has just about the same pricing as my current source and they have free shipping so it's even better. I usually buy 24 at a time and I still seem to go through it quickly! Have you experienced any of the rolls having a mishapen core? I once got a pack that had 2 rolls with a core that was mishapen, which meant it wouldn't fit down snugly on the ATG spindle. The recent orders that I got are just fine, and come off the roll better too.

Thanks for the link!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2019, 01:40 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Awesome conversation and great tips ladies! Thank you all for your help. I was beginning to feel like I was the only one to ever complain about the ATG gun problem and yes, I was just about ready to chunk mine into the trash. Definitely going to look at purchasing my tape from sources mentioned!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Wow Sue, looks like the Tape Jungle has just about the same pricing as my current source and they have free shipping so it's even better. I usually buy 24 at a time and I still seem to go through it quickly! Have you experienced any of the rolls having a mishapen core? I once got a pack that had 2 rolls with a core that was mishapen, which meant it wouldn't fit down snugly on the ATG spindle. The recent orders that I got are just fine, and come off the roll better too.

Thanks for the link!

Karen

If you ever have issues with Tape Jungle, just contact them and they will replace those rolls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post
If you ever have issues with Tape Jungle, just contact them and they will replace those rolls.
Good to know! So far I haven't had any issues, but you just never know...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I have abandoned my ATG for SNAIL, 3M double sided tape, and Tombow glue. I have come to hate the ATG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I love my ATG! I am excited that you shared the Tape Jungle, Sue!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2019, 04:11 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
I love my ATG! I am excited that you shared the Tape Jungle, Sue!!

Yes, I'm also really happy that Sue told us about the Tape Jungle. In fact, I was so excited about that find, that I counted my ATG tape rolls to see if it's too early to order more. Well, I have 19 rolls to go...so yeah, even I can't justify ordering yet..ha!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Tape Jungle usually has sales around the holidays so keep a watch for 10-20% off deals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post
Tape Jungle usually has sales around the holidays so keep a watch for 10-20% off deals.

Thanks for the tip! I just signed up for their email newsletter.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

This post truly stood out to me, as I have never been able to get mine to work. I was just thinking the other day of chucking it. Just like you all have said I made sure it was loaded correctly and even had my hubby (mr test engineer) do it also, and still it gets stuck all over etc. Plus I had to listen to my hubby's explanation of how the thing works. LOLOL That's the down side of asking him to fix something or help! LOLOLOL Usually as he explains I repeat " uh huh, yes I see" lol Ok tu ladies, I will try it again and get a refill and redo it. TU!! and do it MYSELF. LOLOLOL
And if anyone ever wants to know EXACTLY how something works, just contact my hubby. LOLOLOLOL

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

SueEllen, your post made me laugh. I am 100% dependent on having my DH put the tape in my ATG guns. (I have the red and the pink ones.) I gave up trying to put them in myself years ago. Every so often he will try to show me how to do it. I refuse to listen, and tell him consider it "job security". I said if I knew how to do it myself what would I need him for? (I know, that sounds awful, huh. lol We've been married 20 years if that makes it any better. ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

The Tape Jungle and The Tape Depot are owned by the same people, just located in different cities. When you order, make SURE you let them know if you have the red or pink ATG because there are more holes in the cores for adhesive that fits those models. If you don't specify this, you will get the core made for their brand of ATG which has fewer holes, and you will have problems!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 01:35 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I use the tape without the gun. A lovely lady in the framing department at Hobby Lobby taught me that trick. When you first start the tape you will waste an inch or two till you get to the part that is not sticky on the outside. Once you get to that part it rolls like Scor-Tape on your projects. I will never use an ATG gun again.

I burnish the tape down with my finger. Then I pull off the backing. I have a beautiful line of tape on my projects. ATG was evil for me, lol.

Add me to the DH club of standing there with my ATG gun looking at him with sad deer eyes if he could fix it or reload it for me, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
SueEllen, your post made me laugh. I am 100% dependent on having my DH put the tape in my ATG guns. (I have the red and the pink ones.) I gave up trying to put them in myself years ago. Every so often he will try to show me how to do it. I refuse to listen, and tell him consider it "job security". I said if I knew how to do it myself what would I need him for? (I know, that sounds awful, huh. lol We've been married 20 years if that makes it any better. ;) )

If I had to depend on my DH to load my ATG, then I would have to resort to staples and glue!! That said, I had to watch the video of how to load it for the first 10 times that I put in a new tape...eek! I still have to sit there and look at the mechanism before I take the old core off...just to make sure that I put the new one on correctly. When my 9 year old granddaughter watched me put on a new tape roll, she thought I was doing it wrong because it's kind of counter-intuitive for those of us who are not mechanically minded!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Dee Ann, I've used the tape without the gun when I had a few defective rolls with a crooked core. The core wouldn't fit snugly over the spindle so I had to make do by using it like regular scor-tape. The biggest problem for me was that the outside was sticky and the whole roll stuck to everything in sight (including my arm!)
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Dee Ann, I've used the tape without the gun when I had a few defective rolls with a crooked core. The core wouldn't fit snugly over the spindle so I had to make do by using it like regular scor-tape. The biggest problem for me was that the outside was sticky and the whole roll stuck to everything in sight (including my arm!)

Karen
If you take your fingers and roll the sticky off the top it will become a normal tape roll with no sticky. The sticky will only be on the bottom part. If that makes any sense, lol. You will lose 2-3 inches of tape at the most. This is for Scotch's brand. I am not sure if the other brands would behave the same way. I do know there is a "reverse" tape that is sold I think at Tape Depot.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

I can't imagine crafting without my trusty ATG now. I used to use the small Tombow mono adhesive tape runners and went through them so quickly.
Karen

How do you prevent the blobs of adhesive when you lift up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I put this on the other ATG thread, but I'll add it here, too:

One thing that I've noticed that makes a difference (for me, at least), is to release the trigger just a titch (technical term) before I get to the end of where I'm laying down the tape, then pull the gun slightly towards me as I lift it up. That seems to tell the tape to stop dispensing or something and breaks it off more cleanly. It may help...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I found that I release the trigger right before I'm at the end of whatever I'm gluing down, and quickly press down then lift at slight angle. If I pull straight up, it seems to leave a string.

If I end up with a string of adhesive hanging over, I just use my finger to flip it back onto itself and not worry about it. Same when I have some of the adhesive overhanging the edge if I'm not moving in a straight line. You can always use your fingers and run them along the extra adhesive to smoosh it back onto the paper.

Hope that makes sense!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmc123macView Post

I recently purchased the pink ATG and I'm having similar issues but mostly with blobs forming when I release the trigger.:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I recently purchased the pink ATG and I'm having similar issues but mostly with blobs forming when I release the trigger.:confused:
Refer to posts #5 and #8 farther up this thread ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

The ATG and I are parting ways, I'm sending back to Amazon! I just received it Monday.
The @#$# tape broke apart and I was having a heck of a time trying to get it to work! :confused::mad:
It can go. I have too much work to do for that aggravation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 10:51 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah, sometimes you just have to know when to say "when" - I'm sorry it didn't work out for you...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2019, 12:26 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Believe it or not, there are differences between the red ATG and the pink one. The red is manufactured for professional framers. The pink is manufactured for the crafter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2019, 01:04 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Bohodiva I said cartoon cusswords about mine too, lol. It was such a hassle for me. I was so glad when somebody taught me how to use the tape without the gun. I have been using a lot of generic "Tear" tape lately.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

This evening I went to Michael's to return the refill tape rolls for the (returned) ATG. The young lady at the register asked me "is there was anything wrong with the tape?". I told her "no, it was the ATG gun that was giving me problems and wasn't worth the aggravation so I sent it back". She looked at me and told that she felt the same way and returned her's as well. We shared our experiences and had a good laugh. :smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2019, 01:14 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I have both the red and pink ATGs and don't have any issues with tape (all 1/4" from the Tape Jungle) in either one. They've never asked which ATG I have.

I did get one batch of wonky tape that just wouldn't stay on track. It was an issue with the spools, which I could see were not completely round. TJ replaced with no questions asked. I'm using the bad rolls on projects away from my craft room so without the ATG.

I am the "go to" person for many of my friends for reloading. I'm happy to do it for them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2019, 05:48 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm so sorry you're having trouble with yours. I have the pink Scotch ATG and the ATG50 (I believe this is the name) that I bought from Amazon before the pink one came out. They've both been going strong for many years, and although I've had some issues with the tape (easily fixed), I've never had any problems with the tape guns. The pink one squeaks a little, but that doesn't bother me. The ATG50 uses both 1/4" and 1/2" tape. I rarely use the 1/2", but it's nice to have around for my husband's larger projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I know that a lot of crafters have issues with the ATG at first, as I did, but once I got the hang of it I can't see ever giving it up. I first bought the pink one, and then my husband accidentally ran over it when he backed the car out...ouch! I had packed for a 4 day craft retreat, and he was loading the trunk. He put my bag with the ATG in it on the ground behind the car and forgot to put it back in the trunk. I was able to piece it together and duct tape it (ha!) so at least I had it for my retreat but sheesh...
When I got back home I ordered the red one, which I find to be much sturdier and easier to use. I buy generic ATG tape now, which I prefer over the Scotch brand. Used to use Tombow mono-adhesive and went through so many refills that I started to look at the ATG. This, and my trimmer are my must-haves for card making and scrapbooking.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes