Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2019, 01:45 AM   #1  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause

2019 Cards For A Cause
AUGUST MISSION
Stamp from the Heart!

ORGANIZATION BEING FEATURED: Bring Smiles to Seniors, Inc.

DESCRIPTION:
Established in March of 2016, Bring Smiles to Seniors, Inc. is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that serves senior communities across the country. Our staff consists of volunteers who are dedicated to supporting seniors in nursing homes and assisted & independent living communities, as well as those that are homebound or participating in elderly nutrition programs.

Their mission statement: We strive to connect the circle of life by working with schools, civic organizations and employers to decorate cards for seniors in nursing homes, assisted & independent living communities, and those that are homebound or participating in elderly nutrition programs. Our team hopes to help younger generations understand the importance of remembering the ones who paved the way for us, while reminding seniors that they are cared for and not forgotten.

Instagram: @bringsmilestoseniors

They have delivered over 100,000 cards since they started in 2016! Ron began this organization when he visited his grandmother and noticed that many of the residents didn’t receive visitors, gifts, or cards. His heart was touched by those forgotten by their family and society. This is a great opportunity for us to not only help him with his vision.

CONTACT PERSON:
Zella

TYPE OF CARDS REQUESTED:
General thinking of you are the types of cards they use most but will also use Birthday and holidays.
SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS:
Envelopes are appreciated if possible. Please keep that in mind when it comes to layers and/or embellishments. Religious and non religious cards are both welcome.

GUIDELINES:
Please keep in mind, we are representing SCS by sending our cards each month. Recycling is always good, but only use products on your cards that you would like to receive on cards. Also, our card donations are not tax deductible and it is not required. Please do not ask for a receipt. There have been groups that will send thank you's but the "referred by" person keeps us informed and passes on the thank you's. Most of these organizations are volunteers and spend countless hours helping others, let's help make their jobs easier and bless them in helping others.

MAILING ADDRESS:
Please mail cards to...

Bring Smiles to Seniors, Inc.
P.O. Box 226
Odessa, FL 33556
Attn: Ron

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a little added inspiration you can join us in playing along with the
OPTIONAL challenge each month. This is only optional and you do not have to play along to send your cards to the featured cause for the month. We always take cards no matter if you play along in the challenge or not.

This months challenge is to be inspired by the words SMILES and HAPPY. Let's do everything we can to lift the spirits of those who lived long lives making others happy!

Be sure to use the keyword C4AC so that we can check out your card and comment! To see this gallery C4AC click here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Another exciting announcement, we now have a badge for you to proudly display on your blog; here is the link.
Sticky:Cards For A Cause Blog Badge
Also, we have a section now for on going Cards For A Cause, these are organizations that take cards all year. If after your monthly generous giving you have others, go here..thank you so much for all you do!

Fellow SCSer's, thank you for spreading your SCS love! Once you have mailed them come back to us here __________________

As for me and my house - we will serve the Lord
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in - and my efforts will be in memory of my mom - who we just lost 2 weeks ago to Alzheimer's. I made Christmas cards for kids on the edge of her dresser in her room while sitting with her towards the end...I can make cards for her others of her generation who are still here and more than deserving of being reminding that someone still cares!!!
Having spent the last several years visiting my parents in independent, companion and assisted living, and finally mamma in Alzheimers facilities, I very much agree there is a need there! We would go visit, and everyone looked at us like they'd never seen a 'visitor' before, and would try to come and sit close to us, and engage us in conversation....envious....
Mom and dad would tell us about how everyone asked after us if we weren't there that week, or if everything was OK when only one of us showed up, or we didn't look good. They 'adopted' us as someone to care about, even though we weren't theirs, cuz they had nobody else.
And the West Coast of Florida has sooooo many retirement communities - well all of Florida does actually.

Zella - If we were to do a "National" or "Regional" project i would suggest it be something like this. There is nowhere in the country that doesn't have some kind of assisted living/skilled nursing/nursing home/alzheimers facility with folks in long term care who could use a smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 04:03 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 158 Likes on 137 Posts

I am definitely in, this is a cause that is near and dear to my heart. I belong to a Facebook Group called From the Heart where requests are made for cards to seniors for birthdays, thinking of you, get well, etc. and I've been participating for about a year now. It is very fulfilling and I've actually got a "pen pal" that is an 86 yr. old gentleman who writes to me every time I send him a card.

Gina, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom, I lost my mom 5 years ago to cancer and stayed by her side until the end. We were fortunate to be able to have her at home with hospice. It's so sad when people are put in assisted living or other facility and just left there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 06:16 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Count me in!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Here's a few cards I am sending out next week

I love the birthday one of the man and woman lol
Attached Thumbnails
AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-senior-cards.jpg   AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-senior2.jpg  

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This wonderful organization was featured here last December and I discovered there is also one in Michigan.

So, that's where I've been trying to send cards every now and then. Just sent them 20 cards Wednesday. They are so grateful!

---------------------------------
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 242 Likes on 145 Posts

Gina, I am so sorry for your loss! I lost my dad in 2016 and I still miss him everyday. I know he is no longer in pain and is at peace but I still miss him.

I am so happy this is August's recipient. I didn't know it was featured here before. I actually found out about them on Instagram. My dad and father-in-law both spent time in rehabilitation/nursing homes and it was so sad to see the ones who never had visitors. I know they ship their cards all over the US and usually before the end of the month they post where the cards were sent. I have sent them several boxes and will be getting another one ready for this month. I'm working on Halloween and general cards for them this month. Thanks for featuring them this month!

Last edited by SBinGA; 08-03-2019 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #8  

I'm so glad that you all love the cause this month! I'm happy about them too and it holds a special place in my heart as well. I'm part of a Senior Angel program and I have 4 seniors I write every week. Two of them I've had for 5 years. My heart is so blessed by them!! And my heart is blessed by each of you being so supportive each and every month. You all are so amazing!!!!! ❤❤❤❤
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #9  

What a lovely tribute! And I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers!!!!❤❤

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainginaView Post
I'm in - and my efforts will be in memory of my mom - who we just lost 2 weeks ago to Alzheimer's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Count me in. My husband was recently moved into a nursing home as I could no longer give him the care he needed. Lucky for me I am 5 minutes away and visit him every day. Yes, many resident don't seem to have any visitors and that is so sad. Have made it a point to give every resident I happen to see when I am there, a smile and hello. They will always give you one back. After awhile, you are getting smiles and hellos from everyone. No better feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I'm in for this!

My mom has been in a skilled nursing facility for almost 2 years now. It's a big campus and has assisted, independent and memory care living also. My daddy goes almost every day to see her - some days are better than others regarding her alertness. She's never recovered well from breaking her hip in September 2017. She's not ambulatory and we are starting to see some cognitive issues arise. My twin sister and I go on the weekends and I also take my DS pretty regularly.

There are many folks in her building who get no visitors or cards which is heartbreaking to see. Twin and I walk around and chat with folks and we always bring flowers and holiday decorations to whomever is Mom's roommate at the time. One roommate she had for awhile is now in a different room but we still visit her and it means the world to her since her family isn't nearby.

What a wonderful cause to help with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just mailed 12.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2019, 06:49 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Count me in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

I have missed 2 months of making cards for the causes, but I think I am ready to start again. Seniors are important to me. I take care of my 90 yr old mother who has dementia. I know how it lights up her day when she gets a card or letter from family.

It is sad when the elderly are in care centers and don't have visitors ofr family close.

I am going through my cards today and will be making more. I hope to mail next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

What a great cause! I am looking forward to supporting this organization, especially since is resonates with so many of the other contributors to C4AC. I am going to a 4 day crafting retreat tomorrow and will be working on some bright and cheery cards to send out.

Have a great weekend all!
Becca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2019, 03:22 AM   #16  

Question

Hello everyone! Well it seems like this months cause has really touched the hearts of many of you and that touches my heart too! I'm so glad!! So I was wondering what are some other causes that resonate strongly in your hearts? For September I just found one that I hope you're going to love just as much...our cards will be traveling to CO...that's all I'll tell you for now ;). So how about some other causes....any of these or add your own thoughts...I'd love to hear!!
  • Fallen heroes (military or first responders)
  • Victim's assistance (crimes such as domestic violance)
  • Families of active military
  • Families of those incarcerated
  • Disabilities (either child or adult)
  • Health issues (such as cancer, MS, Parkinson's Disease)
  • Animals (domestic or wildlife)
  • International assistance (Africa, South America, etc)
  • Senior Citizens
  • Homelessness/Poverty
  • Addictions (drug or alcohol)
If you or your family have been touched by something that is deep in your heart and you want that cause (either a specific organization or just the general theme) focused please either post here or if it is too personal feel free to send me a private message. This group exists because of YOU and your support...It's your heart that makes this group successful.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Blessings to you all!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by russnzellaView Post
Hello everyone! Well it seems like this months cause has really touched the hearts of many of you and that touches my heart too! I'm so glad!! So I was wondering what are some other causes that resonate strongly in your hearts? For September I just found one that I hope you're going to love just as much...our cards will be traveling to CO...that's all I'll tell you for now ;). So how about some other causes....any of these or add your own thoughts...I'd love to hear!!
  • Fallen heroes (military or first responders)
  • Victim's assistance (crimes such as domestic violance)
  • Families of active military
  • Families of those incarcerated
  • Disabilities (either child or adult)
  • Health issues (such as cancer, MS, Parkinson's Disease)
  • Animals (domestic or wildlife)
  • International assistance (Africa, South America, etc)
  • Senior Citizens
  • Homelessness/Poverty
  • Addictions (drug or alcohol)
If you or your family have been touched by something that is deep in your heart and you want that cause (either a specific organization or just the general theme) focused please either post here or if it is too personal feel free to send me a private message. This group exists because of YOU and your support...It's your heart that makes this group successful.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Blessings to you all!!!!
A young woman our family knows well (Staff Sargent Lindsay Koch) is a part of Operation Care and Comfort. In September they will be collecting items and cards to be sent in holiday packages to active service men and women. I'll send you her number, her email and her address. She said she'd be thrilled to collect the cards herself and make sure they get delivered to the organization when they run their next packing event.

Operation Care and Comfort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #18  

Louise - I LOVE this!!! I received your PM and will make contact regarding getting this set up for a future month! Thank you so much for the suggestion...

Have I mentioned how much I love this group? :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
A young woman our family knows well (Staff Sargent Lindsay Koch) is a part of Operation Care and Comfort. In September they will be collecting items and cards to be sent in holiday packages to active service men and women. I'll send you her number, her email and her address. She said she'd be thrilled to collect the cards herself and make sure they get delivered to the organization when they run their next packing event.

Operation Care and Comfort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Louise's idea sounds great. I hope we do this cause.

I have been doing some of the DTGD challenges. Some of the cards will be going to this month's cause for Seniors. I have also gone through my other cards and found I have 22 so far to send for thiis August cause. I hope to make a few more and will try to mail by Wed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you have Instagram go check out their page: @bringsmilestoseniors
The post pictures of the cards they receive and it is fun looking at all of them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Love this month's cause!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 01:58 AM   #22  

Hi everyone! If you haven't noticed I have been cleaning up the thread a little bit. I've posted a new sticky tread that will have a "sneak peak" so to speak of what will be upcoming for those who like to think ahead. The details will of course be provided on the first of the month for the organization, but the sneak peak will give you some idea of what type of cards are being requested so you can check your stashes. Right now the next two months are listed...I will try to have three months listed at a time. I'm working on getting the last two months of the year filled now so as soon as I get that info I will post that there as well.

I will start working on getting the ongoing list updated and keep it current. If you have an organization that you support regularly and would like to have it added to that list just let me know.

Lastly I want to have one last sticky post that will show how many cards our group provides each organization. This will depend greatly on whether the organization will keep track of what they receive...so that one might be a hit and miss type of thing but I thought it would be neat to see the numbers listed.

Of course spread the word - we would love to have lots of participation in our group and shower the causes each month with lots and lots of cards.

If you have any questions or suggestions you are always welcome to post them in the current thread of PM me.

God bless you all!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for giving us a sneak peek at what cards are going to be needed for future cases. This will give me the opportunity to focus on what cards I need to be making. I use to make a big box of Christmas cards every year for Operation Write Home. Unfortunately that cause has ceased to excise anymore. I really am happy to make cards for whatever causes need them. I enjoy making cards and knowing that they are being sent to organizations who can pass them on to people to make their days, well that is just a win, win situation for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

First - Thank You to all who sent condolences. Mamma went on to join her Jimmy, and they're happy - but it's been quite the adjustment for those left behind. I appreciate all the warm fuzzies being sent in our direction.

Secondly - i looked at the list and was pleased to see Military / First Responders on the list (I am a former OWHer after all). As an Air Force Retiree the Military causes hold a special place in my heart, and probably always will. And Health and aging - My father was a survivor for over 18 years, having battled and achieved a solid remission against an aggressive Lymphoma 3 times. Chemo created kidney and heart issues, and pneumonia destroyed his lungs. We lost him just over 2 years ago. And most recently mamma, at 89 years old, lost to the ravages of Alzheimer disease.
This is not to denigrate any of the other causes - but these are the ones near and dear to my heart.

And lastly - I'm really really appreciative of the sneak peek!!! My time for crafting is left last on the list behind work, and hubby and MIL and housekeeping - not necessarily in that order. I have a very small bank of extra cards, and knowing what's coming up will help me be smarter about what i'm creating in the time i have available!!! Thank You!!!

And again to All - Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Zella
Love, love, love the idea of knowing what is coming next Sometimes I am forced to mail my box of cards a little early and then the last week of the month I don't know what to make for the next month. This will be awesome. Thank you for all you do. Really appreciate it.

Also love the idea of seeing how many cards went to an organization.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

I totally agree with Louise. It is nice to know about the challenges ahead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

We lost dad in May 2017, and yeah - it was a blessing in disguise for him. And now mamma - another blessing in disguise, as she was in end stage Alzheimers,and there's little apparent cognizance, and little quality of life at that stage ...
We will miss them both for a long time to come.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBinGAView Post
Gina, I am so sorry for your loss! I lost my dad in 2016 and I still miss him everyday. I know he is no longer in pain and is at peace but I still miss him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Zella,

I love knowing what challenges are coming next, and it's also great knowing how many cards were sent to a particular organization. Appreciate all that you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2019, 03:44 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Has something been posted somewhere (I can't see anything) that says what is coming up? Or hasn't that been done as of yet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
Has something been posted somewhere (I can't see anything) that says what is coming up? Or hasn't that been done as of yet?
There's a sticky called Coming soon. That's probably where it will tell us. I'm excited to see what Zella has for us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #31  

Yep - that's it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
There's a sticky called Coming soon. That's probably where it will tell us. I'm excited to see what Zella has for us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Just boxed up a hundred cards that will get mailed on Monday. I posted a few of them in my gallery and tagged them with C4AC, if you want to see them. I've added just a few below
Attached Thumbnails
AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-bouquet.jpg   AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-boots.jpg   AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-cornonchairlittlethings.jpg   AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-looking-sharp.jpg   AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-peacock.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Gorgeous cards, Louise! I love all the details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

I love that birthday card with the old people! LOL! Somehow they look very familiar...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 04:22 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I use a lot of Mo Manning's digital images because digital images can be resized and he creates images that are ethnically diverse. After a few communications with him, he's begun adding images of kids that are differently abled (wheelchairs, downs syndrome, artifical limbs). He has one with a boy in a "rocket chair" one of "super girl" (megan) with Downs Syndrome. I know he plans to add a few more. Just thought some of you might be interested in these images as well as images that show both kids and adults with various ethnic backgrounds.
http://www.mosdigitalpencil.com/brows-all-stamps/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2019, 03:32 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mailed out a box of 85 Halloween cards yesterday. Will be making more but I wanted to go ahead and get those in the mail and off my table!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

I mailed a box of 25 cards. (Thinking of You, Hello, Thank you and Birthday)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Greetings all! I just prepped this month's cards for mailing, but am going to wait until tomorrow to send to see if I can add some birthday cards to this month's package. I have 66 cards so far. An odd number, but that's the way it worked out this month, lol. Pics are attached.

Louise, thank you for the link and information on Mo Manning's images - I'm going to take a look. Based on the sneak preview in the Coming Soon thread, I think these can be a great addition for cards.

I hope everyone is having a great August!
Becca
Attached Thumbnails
AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-20190809_212235.jpg   AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-20190809_212548.jpg   AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-20190822_114614.jpg   AUGUST 2019 Mission - Cards for a Cause-20190822_115006.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Just mailed out 25 cards this morning. Already working on next month's cause.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Beautiful colors and designs on your cards, Becca! Very productive. I need to try to speed up my production.
Reply With Quote Likes