Thread: Challenge Chat
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #1888
Cook22
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Sorry for being MIA from this thread. The last three weeks have been beyond busy. When I get home on Saturday evening, I'm looking forward to a relatively quiet week with DH away, and maybe a chance to catch up with things a bit.

I love books, love the feel and smell of them (so long as they're not from a smoking home, and not really cheap paper). And I'll never use a bulky bookmark in one. But I have no hesitation at all about using old books on my cards. Almost all my gel prints are done on book pages or old sheet music. It was my grandmother's, and there's very little of it that I've ever played, though I've kept a couple of albums of Chopin pieces intact.
Our library has a shelf outside where people leave books for others to take, so I've picked up a few from there. It's a good place for getting them in foreign languages.

When we cleared out my dad's house after he moved to a rental near my brother a few years ago, I took one volume of my mother's Shorter Oxford Dictionary, and while that was harder to use, I felt that in this day and age very few people were likely to want to give over 6" of shelf space to one dictionary. (I've probably got more than that dedicated to dictionaries on my shelf, but that's two different editions of an English one, plus French and Greek) At least it's getting good use rather than being pulped. Every time I use it, I can picture just where it was on one of the bookcases in the dining room when we were children.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!