Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paper Cutters

I have been considering purchasing a new paper cutter. Right now I have an ancient Fiskars rotary cutter. I am at a loss as to where to start. May I ask my fellow Splitcoasters for what their favorite paper cutter is and why? I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Barb
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have gone through a ton of paper cutters and have finally found what works for me. I have a cutterpillar pro and a cutterpillar crop. I also have a Carl cutter for when I need to cut chipboard or multiple sheets at a time.

I found that for me to get a straight cut, the important thing is that the guide the blade runs down needs to not have any "give." So any with a plastic guide it seemed I was always pushing more to one side or the other and getting crooked cuts. I don't have this issue with the cutterpillar or Carl as the guides are metal. I also like the cutterpillar's guide light, and the rotary blade that seems to self sharpen so I have never had to change it.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I love my "ancient Fiskars Rotary trimmer" !! I have tried models where you have to pull out an arm to get the full measurement, and just don't want to bother with that. They still carry the Fiskars Desktop Rotary Trimmer at Joann for about $65 before sales kick in. They also have the replacement blades (rarely needed) and the cutting strip, too.
This one has a big footprint on my work table, but it's so easy to use I would not swap it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

I LOVE my Tim Holtz by Tonic guillotine trimmers. I have both the smaller and larger versions. I use them both every single time I craft. They stay sharp, can cut the tiniest slivers of paper, don't need replacement blades, and cut the straightest of any cutter I've owned.

I also have a 20 year old Fiskars trimmer that has a plastic guide bar, orange replacements blades, and swing out arm for measurements over 4-1/4". It does not cut as straight as my Tonic ones, the numbers have worn off my plastic cutting guide, and it is a pain to constantly swing the arm out BUT I have sentimental attachment to it so I will never let go of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 05:11 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I recently replaced my SU trimmer. I first bought the Tim Holts Tonic cutter. I have the small one which I love. I wasn’t happy with the larger version. My eyesight is a problem, so I had extreme difficulty with the inch markings. I just couldn’t seem to line up my paper correctly. I gave up!

I then bought a Fiiskar one very similar to my old one. It Is so much easier for me to use.

Last edited by Inkykitten; 07-31-2019 at 05:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 06:14 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Another vote for the Tonic trimmers..........I have three sizes and use them all.......best I have ever owned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

I've been using the Cutterpillar for years and still love it! It cuts clean and crisp without replacing the blade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 03:38 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My go-to is a Carl Cutter. Paper is clamped down and many sheets of paper (35?) and CS (fewer) can be cut at once, though cutting single sheets is often done, as well as chipboard. Being rotary, there’s no measurement to the right like on other types of trimmers. So if cutting an already narrow strip to a narrower strip, I grab my Fiskars (non-rotary) or occasionally a small Tim/Tonic gullotine for a very skinny cut but no measurement is needed.

I also have a Cutterpillar rotary and think it’s very good but wanted the Carl for multiple cuts at once - one of the steps I took to be easier on my hand. I only used it for a very short time. In fact if you’re interested in it, PM me and I can show you photos and would sell it inexpensively to a good home.

The Fiskars is this one, never had a spec of trouble, but a similar one comes with an aluminum bar instead of a wire, if getting straight cuts with the wire is an issue. And it goes into my craft bag if I need to bring it to my LSS. The Carl is not a traveler.
Robot Check

Last edited by bjeans; 07-31-2019 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for posing this question! My current cutter is the latest StampinUp trimmer, which I like, but they have discontinued it and my demo isn’t even able to order replacement blades; every time they came up for order, they sold out in literally minutes. Clearly there are demos out there with big customer bases that took advantage and cleaned them out. (There was a 3 limit per customer but anyway.)

I will be on the look out for a new trimmer at some point and won’t go with SU likely, no matter what they come up with. They change their product too often and then you can’t get blades. So I am interested in these other brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 05:18 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I went the office-supply route and got an Xacto guillotine cutter. Yes, it's kind of bulky and, yes, it's ugly and, yes, the ruler on the back doesn't match the markings on the bed. Still...it does what I need it to, is self-sharpening and accurate and that's really all I care about. In fact, I had to leave one behind when I moved and looked around at other prettier/fancier cutters and got another ugly Xacto...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Another vote for the Tonic paper cutter. I have a large older version but bought the smaller one based on Jennifer McGuire's recommendation. Wasn't sure about this smaller version when I got it...seemed "plasticy", BUT I've grown to love it! Cuts really straight, markings on platform are very helpful and I'm now a fan! Downside, doesn't cut larger paper sizes, so I still keep my large cutter nearby. Price is great on Amazon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #12  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
Another vote for the Tonic paper cutter. I have a large older version but bought the smaller one based on Jennifer McGuire's recommendation. Wasn't sure about this smaller version when I got it...seemed "plasticy", BUT I've grown to love it! Cuts really straight, markings on platform are very helpful and I'm now a fan! Downside, doesn't cut larger paper sizes, so I still keep my large cutter nearby. Price is great on Amazon!

That was my first impression, too, when I pulled it out of its packaging. It's won me over, though. The plastic seems more durable than most (kind of like how the toys I played with had more durable and substantial plastic than the ones my kids played with). I love both my Tonic trimmers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 03:35 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tonic guillotine cutter

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I LOVE my Tim Holtz by Tonic guillotine trimmers. I have both the smaller and larger versions. I use them both every single time I craft. They stay sharp, can cut the tiniest slivers of paper, don't need replacement blades, and cut the straightest of any cutter I've owned.

I also have a 20 year old Fiskars trimmer that has a plastic guide bar, orange replacements blades, and swing out arm for measurements over 4-1/4". It does not cut as straight as my Tonic ones, the numbers have worn off my plastic cutting guide, and it is a pain to constantly swing the arm out BUT I have sentimental attachment to it so I will never let go of it.
I have the Tonic cutter, too, but have a problem getting an accurate measurement on the side next to the blade. For example, if I need to cut 3” off a section of paper, how can I accurately cut it when you can’t see any measurement? Also, I can’t tell where the blade is cutting. Does anyone have any ideas to help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 03:59 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Love my Cutterpillar Pro with self-sharpening rotary blade. I've had many cutters over the years but none ever cut as straight as this cutter. I was ready to throw out my Scor-Pal because nothing ever lined up straight when cut with the other cutters. Glad I didn't because the Cutterpillar Pro solved all my problems and now I am a happy camper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post
I have the Tonic cutter, too, but have a problem getting an accurate measurement on the side next to the blade. For example, if I need to cut 3” off a section of paper, how can I accurately cut it when you can’t see any measurement? Also, I can’t tell where the blade is cutting. Does anyone have any ideas to help?

That’s just the nature of guillotine trimmers - the lack of measurements to the right of the blade.

If you have a wide enough piece of paper, however, you can get your accurate 3” cut - or even a much smaller accurate cut. Just insert the paper from the right of the blade over to the left until you get to the 3” mark. In other words, you’re not initially placing your paper on the “bed” of the trimmer. Clear as mud?

My Carl rotary trimmer is the same. I can cut a ton of paper at once and paper is clamped down so when the clamp is lightly holding the paper but before it’s locked down, adjustments are easy. I love it. But if I want to make a 1/2” cut off of a 2” piece of paper that’s tough. Then I use my Fiskars - which has always [knock on wood] worked well.

As to wear the Tonic cuts - it’s even with the end of the bed, right at the edge.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 04:56 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

You have hit on the bane of my crafting existence. Cutters. I have been through many-rec'ed here, online....I am either cursed or just such a brute I mess them up or both.

I use that kind of cutter-the guillotine. Does yours have 1 inch increments etched into the bed? You have no ruler at the top?

Feeding from the right, you go to the measurement you want to be left with. I took a sharpie marker and marked my most common cuts like 4 1/4, 5 1/2, etc. Because the markings on my fiskars are not so big. You know that part.

Taking some off...you do some math. Like you want 2 off 5 inches. So that leaves you with 3 inches so that is where you go. But if you are doing fractions then it is hard if you going smaller than quarter inches (at least for me)

Or the reverse-you want to be left with a two inch strip. Same-you are just using the other piece.

My fiskars got loose and so did my 12" Tonic and the purple cow and others I cant even remember. I am convinced now I need something that is not plastic. I am so sorry I got rid of my mom's old metal office guillotine style years ago before I started this. I am saving up for something better. Maybe a Carl or a rototrim.

Maybe part of my problem is space. I store them on their sides upright. Maybe that had something to do with it-always handling it? Certainly the blade keeps popping out of the fiskars now. If I get the metal I have to figure out what I am going to do. I will still have to be sideways but maybe not on the floor.

The endless exercises of finding space.

In the meantime I will give the smaller guillotine tonic a shot bc it isnt expensive and seems to be really good for thin strips and people like it. I will just flip paper to be able to make the distance of 12". I tried the other day on the sale at EH but she was sold out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 05:53 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cutters

I love my Tim Holtz cutters but when I am cutting a lot of cards in different sizes to have ready I love the Zutter. It cuts 5/6 pieces of 110# cardstock at a time and is easy to set measurements. I have had it for a long time and the blade is still sharp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a Roto-trim Professional M12. I had an M15, but wanted a bit smaller footprint. I can't say enough good things about this trimmer. It is self-sharpening (a must) and has a guide so cuts are always straight. When I need tiny slivers I now use a Fiskar cutter instead of my discontinued Stampin' Up! trimmer. The Roto-trim is not very portable, but I love it just the same!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I have 2--the Tonic Maxi guillotine (it has an arm that stores underneath & you can attach to cut widths greater than 6"--up to 12") & the Fiskars one with the aluminum rail for the blade. I mostly use the Tonic, since it cuts so well & I do NOT have to replace blades. My one and only gripe about that particular model is there is no "ridge" at the bottom that I can butt my paper against so I can see better to get a more accurate cut. Mostly that's just if I need to cut on a specific line, since it can be hard to see when the paper is up against the top. But, otherwise it's a great trimmer. Just don't cut more than 1-2 sheets of cardstock and NO chipboard--it's just not meant for that kind of thing. For chipboard I just use a cork-backed metal ruler & a sturdy craft knife. The Fiskars trimmer I like for making very narrow cuts when I need a specific measurement, like 1/8", 1/4", etc. It is also handy for cutting a slit in the middle of a piece of cardstock, like when cutting a frame or something (like for fancy-fold cards). Obviously, a guillotine cutter just isn't made to do something like that--it cuts all or none. My one gripe about the Fiskars is the blades seem to dull rather quickly. I used to have one with a wire guide, & tried the more expensive titanium blades, but despite the hype & Jennifer McGuire's recommendation, they didn't seem to last much longer. The aluminum rail trimmer doesn't have titanium replacement blades, so that's moot anyway. Good luck in your trimmer search!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I too have been through many many paper trimmers. I first started with a green Provocraft trimmer, which was lightweight and did the job, but didn't want to keep replacing blades, so purchased an Exacto rotary, which self sharpens, but only has markings up to 4" (I use that one for heavy duty jobs where accuracy isn't important).

Then began my love affair with Tonic guillotine trimmers. I had/have the small, medium, tabletop and maxi. Awesome trimmers. My only complaints: the colors (why Grey? Why Orange?), that the maxi trimmer took up a lot of space, that the travel version ruler has a gap between the end and start of the attachable ruler and that it was a tad bulky. It cuts like butter though, has a nice kushgrip handle, on the larger versions has a paper guide that is spring loaded (allowing for thicker materials like foam to be cut), has stayed sharp over thousands of uses over a decade and has been the most reliable trimmer.

Nevertheless, I just purchased the Crafters Companion Large Professional Guillotine trimmer and am so far really liking it. I got it because it was a bit sleeker, had a cutting surface of over 6, " an extendable ruler with no gaps, is lightweight. White/pretty and has scoring capability. Pros: cuts accurately and like butter, is beautiful, reasonably priced and for all the above reasons. Downsides so far: the plastic paper guide is close to the base only allowing paper or thin material to be cut (and can't be removed easily, which is good for safety, not for thick materials), the ruler is a little small and slightly higher than the edge (to accommodate the scoring grooves) so is a little tougher to measure (but not impossible), the scoring feature is great, but because they added horizontal scoring lines too, you see tiny ticking marks (not a deal breaker, but wish they would have made the horizontal lines slightly less etched or painted on instead). I'm a little concerned that the extension foot may not last and wish it had a rubber grip on its bottom, but really not a big deal.

For traveling, I replaced the Provocraft with a Fiskars blade trimmer, but thinking of selling it as the CC version seems somewhat portable.

I use a Fiskars guillotine trimmer for detailed trimming (replaced the smaller Tonic guillotine) and I love that (only wish it were white with the light blue accents instead of orange).

Overall, I prefer the guillotine style trimmer to all. The only thing they can't do is slots in the middle of a page, but I can use an Exacto knife, ruler and cutting mat for that because I don't need them that often.

Hope this is helpful,
Doreen G
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Love hearing about products I didn’t know about - thank you, Doreen! I’m guessing still no measurements to the right of the cutting blade? (I’ll go look on line too.) The one downside of a guillotine, though I do have one - just the little Tim one - and I have more trouble with it than my Fiskars. Just yesterday for DTGD I had to carve off a tiny bit of CS and the Tonic grabbed and twisted it. So I used the Fiskars for second one and I’ve found by moving the blade very quickly, it’s accurate. But a lot is what you get used to (and I use the Carl rotary for everything else).

(ETA: found the HSN video)

Last edited by bjeans; 08-08-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Love hearing about products I didn’t know about - thank you, Doreen! I’m guessing still no measurements to the right of the cutting blade? (I’ll go ok on line too.) The one downside of a guillotine, though I do have one - just the little Tim one - and I have more trouble with it than my Fiskars. Just yesterday for DTGD I had to carve off a tiny bit of CS and the Tonic grabbed and twisted it. So I used the Fiskars for second one and I’ve found by moving the blade very quickly, it’s accurate. But a lot is what you get used to (and I use the Carl rotary for everything else).
I'm a tool junkie, so me too ! Unfortunately, like the other guillotines out there (that I've seen) no markings on the right of the blade or on the 1" of the metal cutting surface. It can cut a a hair's width of paper off, but on a paper wider than the metal part (otherwise too fiddly and likely to cut askew, I find). I usually flip the paper if I need to cut the right side using the markings on the left of the trimmer.

I haven't invested in a Carl, but they look lovely. Sorry to hear about your Tonic twisting the paper. I haven't had many problems, or maybe it's a newer version and made differently? Dunno. That's disappointing, sorry to hear.

Here's an idea that I thought about but never executed: taping a paper ruler (perhaps laminated)(thinking Ikea) or a fabric measuring tape, or a ruler printed washi tape to the machine where you want the measurement. I haven't tried it, but thinking it could work. Perhaps you could be the brave tester and let us know

Cheers,
Doreen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by GdoreenView Post
I'm a tool junkie, so me too ! Unfortunately, like the other guillotines out there (that I've seen) no markings on the right of the blade or on the 1" of the metal cutting surface. It can cut a a hair's width of paper off, but on a paper wider than the metal part (otherwise too fiddly and likely to cut askew, I find). I usually flip the paper if I need to cut the right side using the markings on the left of the trimmer.

I haven't invested in a Carl, but they look lovely. Sorry to hear about your Tonic twisting the paper. I haven't had many problems, or maybe it's a newer version and made differently? Dunno. That's disappointing, sorry to hear.

Here's an idea that I thought about but never executed: taping a paper ruler (perhaps laminated)(thinking Ikea) or a fabric measuring tape, or a ruler printed washi tape to the machine where you want the measurement. I haven't tried it, but thinking it could work. Perhaps you could be the brave tester and let us know

Cheers,
Doreen
I think the twisted CS was product of being so small. It was a little square sentiment that I wanted to cut a sliver off of. With the Fiskars I can press a tiny piece down firmly and very quickly push (slam!) the blade against it and it’s straight.

But like some others have reported, some (?) of the newer Tim cutters angle off when cutting paper at the bottom. I’m not explaining that well.

And how funny I forgot, but you reminded me - when I used to use a Cutterpillar (rotary), I did exactly what you said to the right of the blade! In fact the Cutterpillar people sent me a paper ruler to do that, but any printed ruler would do.

The Carl sits on my trimmer station (small IKEA table top with expandable legs) with the Fiskars and baby Tonic to the left of it or in a Totally Tiffany bag that hangs on a hanger on a hook on the wall, but if I ever donate the Tonic I’d definitely consider your trimmer; looking for the width when the arm is closed. (Admittedly I love trimmers!)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2019, 06:01 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Just a suggestion that I've found helpful with slivers on a guillotine cutter: when you lower the arm to cut, put a bit of pressure on it to move the blade closer to the bed (swing it slightly left instead of straight down). It will cut cleanly with no twisting/shredding...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Good hint/reminder, Sue. I tend to do that in general. When the piece is [too] tiny, however the trimmer gets a little grabby. But with a bit of fiddling, the Fiskar works. Alternatively, I could measure before cutting. But I tend to be a cut twice measure zero for certain things. Not recommended.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Default My vote is for Xacto

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I went the office-supply route and got an Xacto guillotine cutter. Yes, it's kind of bulky and, yes, it's ugly and, yes, the ruler on the back doesn't match the markings on the bed. Still...it does what I need it to, is self-sharpening and accurate and that's really all I care about. In fact, I had to leave one behind when I moved and looked around at other prettier/fancier cutters and got another ugly Xacto...

I've had my Xacto Laser Guillotine cutter for at least 12 years now and its going strong! Its still sharp as ever and I only have to change the batteries for the laser light every few years. I always cut by the grid on the base as my eyes aren't up to reading the tiny ruler at the top. I can cut up to 3 pages at a time, and it has no trouble with magnet sheet or acetate. I don't think I've ever cut chipboard but I have cut the backing of scrapbook pads, that thinner cardboard. I did remove the finger guide, as I found it kept me from cutting smaller pieces of paper. It hasn't presented any issues though. I still have all my fingers! :p And I don't think its ugly at all! But it does take some space. Mine has measurements for 12 x 12", but it is slightly bigger overall, maybe 14 x 14". I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I had an idea....if one wanted an adhesive ruler...maybe the replacements from My sweet Petunia for the MISTI? I just checked. She only has them for the standard-unfortunately not (yet) for the Memory which is the big one for 12". But if people want them for smaller cutters?

They come in white and blue and one of them goes up to 8 inches. You could probably jig it by layering to get to 12 if you can tape over and put in 9. 10, 11. 12.
Turquoise Stickers for Original MISTI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Me, too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

I love my Xacto! Mine is over 20 years old, still going strong, and Wouldn't trade it for any other cutter. I love having the various lines and markings- I can be sure my cuts are perfect all the time. Yup, it's bulky, but it's so so so worth the space it occupies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Cutterpillar Pro is the best I've had but it takes up a lot of room. It self sharpens so no buying of replacement blades. I also have the small tonic guillotine which works good. I had a Carl but it was heavy and I was never able to figure out how to use it properly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 05:37 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

I've never had an expensive trimmer, so I don't know what I'm missing until I do have it and then don't have it, then I'll know what I'm missing. hahahaha With that said, I had been on the ever elusive search for the lesser expensive trimmers and I found it about a year and a half ago and haven't looked back. It's the latest Cricket trimmer. I actually got it at wal mart for under 13 dollars and I watch when the blades are on sale at Joanns and stock up. You can get it cheaper at Joanns when their Cricket items are on sale, but I needed one and picked it up at wal mart, I'm getting another one just to finish my life out with, hahaha It is without a doubt the best inexpensive trimmer I've ever had, and I have a box beside my desk with the bones of 10-15 trimmers in it and the one I always grab is my white Cricket. best 13 bucks I ever spent!!!!! I've probably cut 2 million paper, cardstock, and chipboard paper beads with it and all the other crafts I do. patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

Good to know about the Cricket -- I'm just looking for a stop-gap trimmer to last until SU! rolls out their new one.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I have had many different style and brand of cutters over the years. I STILL go to my original Fiskars cutter that has the flimsy plastic. I just hold my left hand along the plastic rail as I cut which stabilizes the paper and the plastic runner. My problem is finding refill blades because it is so old.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default the Tonic is my "go to" choice paper cutter as well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
I love this one also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSiskView Post
I have had many different style and brand of cutters over the years. I STILL go to my original Fiskars cutter that has the flimsy plastic. I just hold my left hand along the plastic rail as I cut which stabilizes the paper and the plastic runner. My problem is finding refill blades because it is so old.
You and I must have the same Fiskars cutter! Mine is almost 20 years old! The measurements have rubbed off the plastic rail. The Sharpie write-ins I did have even rubbed off, it's so old. I can't bear to part with it, though, because of sentimental reasons (first trimmer I ever bought) and because it does work for me since I know its quirks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here! I've had mine before they were l guess licensed by Tim Holtz. I bought the one with the full 12in base way back in 2005 and I've never had to replace any parts or have it sharpened. It still gives me crisp cuts everytime. I loved it so much I bought the 12in. trimmer with the 6in base to take to crops a few years later, and that one cuts like new also.

Does anyone know why SU stopped selling them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Reply With Quote Likes