View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
traingina
Matboard Maniac

I'm in - and my efforts will be in memory of my mom - who we just lost 2 weeks ago to Alzheimer's. I made Christmas cards for kids on the edge of her dresser in her room while sitting with her towards the end...I can make cards for her others of her generation who are still here and more than deserving of being reminding that someone still cares!!!
Having spent the last several years visiting my parents in independent, companion and assisted living, and finally mamma in Alzheimers facilities, I very much agree there is a need there! We would go visit, and everyone looked at us like they'd never seen a 'visitor' before, and would try to come and sit close to us, and engage us in conversation....envious....
Mom and dad would tell us about how everyone asked after us if we weren't there that week, or if everything was OK when only one of us showed up, or we didn't look good. They 'adopted' us as someone to care about, even though we weren't theirs, cuz they had nobody else.
And the West Coast of Florida has sooooo many retirement communities - well all of Florida does actually.

Zella - If we were to do a "National" or "Regional" project i would suggest it be something like this. There is nowhere in the country that doesn't have some kind of assisted living/skilled nursing/nursing home/alzheimers facility with folks in long term care who could use a smile!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!