Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 130 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Have you liberated a bunch of retired Cardstock?

After your purge, do you have piles of old card stock or retired designer paper you don't know what to do with? I don't know why I didn't think of this before but someone offered it and I thought WOW!

Here are three ideas you may not have thought of:

!. Visit cards for a cause forum on this site and make cards for the cause of your choice. They will be gratefully received by the organizations - however old your materials are.

2. Support a card maker on cards for a cause by asking THEM if they'd like your unwanted card stock.

3. If no one local wants it, BrighterBirthdays.org , a charity supplying birthday bags to disadvantaged kids, would LOVE to have your useable (especially birthday themed) paper and Card stock for our student volunteers to make cards and bag toppers from. A medium flat rate box holds a lot, and would be gratefully received. If you choose this option, please pm for address.

Happy Cleaning!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Would Brighter Birthdays have a need for other craft supplies too like pigment ink pads, glue, etc.?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 01:07 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps a silly question for some of you, but what does it matter that cardstock is retired?
And what is retired cardstock anyway?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 02:39 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,700 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trios53View Post
Perhaps a silly question for some of you, but what does it matter that cardstock is retired?
And what is retired cardstock anyway?

Stampin'Up retires cardstock colors each year. Many of the people who frequent SCS are demonstrators and they like their cardstock to be in colors that people can purchase. After a while, the retired colors add up and they can have a lot of cardstock that is sitting there not getting used.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 02:50 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hobbyists might want to get rid of retired cardstock they no longer have ink for to make room for new cardstock.

Last edited by vgpeterson; 03-06-2019 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: Redundant reply
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 04:38 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes "Senior" Centers use cardstock for classes or making materials for their programs, decorations, etc. You may want to check with a nearby center to see if they are interested in your donations of retired paper, craft supplies, or clean, gently used stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 05:03 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I don't think I have any retired cardstock, I haven't given it the possibility to retire, no matter how old it gets, as long as it isn't wrinkled, saggy, and gray it's gonna work and perform as well as it ever did. hahaha I just don't think about how old my cardstock is because it's still very usable. as far as ink goes, I love to do a mish mash, so old card stock and unmatched ink is right up my alley. But I don't do a lot of big projects either, so I can where it could be a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 05:41 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

If you can't donate the paper, try your hand at Junk Journals or altered books! Certainly a shame to have it go to waste, "retired" or not. I'm retired but still going strong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 05:55 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

My cardstock isn't allowed to retire. If I love it, I use it---even purchase extra when I know it is going to retire. Just said goodby to the last of my beloved Baroque Burgundy (which has been retired for a long time), and before the tears were dry SU came out with Merry Merlot (a bit brighter version, but nearly the same). I don't purchase any "In Colors" as the "Core Colors" are plenty to work with along with all the retired ones as well. I can understand demonstrators needing to be current, but recipients of my cards have no idea how long the cardstock I use has been put out to pasture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 06:05 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 930 Likes on 851 Posts

I never understood why people want to get rid of retired papers. I guess it's understandable if your a demostrator and you don't want to show people cardstock they can't buy but it's still usable. I guess if you have unlimited $$$ you can get rid of retired stuff. I for one could not afford that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 06:12 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I have two full file cabinet drawers of retired cardstock plus inkpads and markers. When colors retire, I stock up on my faves. If a new similar color comes out, I may use more of the retired color to use it up at that time. Since I am not a demo, I used retired stuff a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered several sheets of retired Basic Grey patterned card stock to go with a few sticker sheets of Oxford, Hipster, Max & Whiskers and Soleil I can't bare to see go unused. I donate my cards to a local charity and I find it challenging to use some of BG's patterns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get rid of mine just because the color is retired. I still have the matching inks. If I DO have paper I don't plan on using, I donate it to my grandson's school for his teacher or the art teacher to use. It doesn't go to waste!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Default using retired cardstock

My "Project Give Thanks" was last June's Cards for a Cause. I would love to have anyone's retired SU cardstock; it's really the best quality out there for card bases!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaBabeView Post
After your purge, do you have piles of old card stock or retired designer paper you don't know what to do with? I don't know why I didn't think of this before but someone offered it and I thought WOW!

Here are three ideas you may not have thought of:

!. Visit cards for a cause forum on this site and make cards for the cause of your choice. They will be gratefully received by the organizations - however old your materials are.

2. Support a card maker on cards for a cause by asking THEM if they'd like your unwanted card stock.

3. If no one local wants it, BrighterBirthdays.org , a charity supplying birthday bags to disadvantaged kids, would LOVE to have your useable (especially birthday themed) paper and Card stock for our student volunteers to make cards and bag toppers from. A medium flat rate box holds a lot, and would be gratefully received. If you choose this option, please pm for address.

Happy Cleaning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 01:11 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I think it's because I'm not a SU user that I don't think it makes a difference how old cardstock - or any material you work with for that matter - is.
I understand though why it matters for SU demonstrators.
SU quality is excellent, but for economical reasons I mostly use papers without a specific brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wegretView Post
Sometimes "Senior" Centers use cardstock for classes or making materials for their programs, decorations, etc. You may want to check with a nearby center to see if they are interested in your donations of retired paper, craft supplies, or clean, gently used stamps.

Aaaannnnnndd! The light bulb over my head just turned on!

My Dad is in a skilled nursing facility right now for rehab, and they have an Arts & Crafts class for the residents. I'm going to check with the lady at the front desk to see if they can use some of the supplies that I am have boxed up & ready for donation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
Aaaannnnnndd! The light bulb over my head just turned on!

My Dad is in a skilled nursing facility right now for rehab, and they have an Arts & Crafts class for the residents. I'm going to check with the lady at the front desk to see if they can use some of the supplies that I am have boxed up & ready for donation.

They will usually love to have it. A friend at work is a Therapeutic Recreation/Programs person at the nursing home I work for. She usually does a stamping cardmaking class each month, and the residents love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Old Card stock and papers

When I upgraded from my beginner level cheap card stock to high quality card stock I put that cheap stuff in a box. After purchasing about 4 sets of designer paper from the dollar store about 20 years ago for starter paper (it was good quality paper) I used it frequently and slowly introduced new stacks into my stash. After 15 years I still had about half of my original stash from the dollar store and honestly, I couldn't even look at it any more. It was beautiful but too "common" for me to look at.
I took the cardstock and papers to my local school and asked if the art teacher or any teacher could use it. The receptionist nearly tackled me to grab the box and said the teachers would LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2019, 06:16 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

As a ex-teacher, I can totally relate! You have no idea how much money most teachers spend out of their own pockets to provide stuff for their kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
As a ex-teacher, I can totally relate! You have no idea how much money most teachers spend out of their own pockets to provide stuff for their kids.

Sad but true... Prior to our cross-country move a few years ago I sold literally everything in our house, including a huge portion of craft/stamping stuff. A school librarian came through and bought quite a bit to put in the resource center for the teachers. I told her to come back the last day of the sale and she could take whatever was left. You would have thought I'd given her the sun, moon and stars! She did come back and I did load her up and it made me happy to think that my things were going where they would be appreciated and used. My best friend (and stamping buddy) donated a lot of her stuff to the Girl Scouts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried to give cardstock, 12x12 paper and quality art supplies to public schools in our area. No takers! So I give crafty stuff to the Life4Animals thrift shop in Maryland (we’re in Virginia) and all proceeds go to groups that help animals. The main one now goes into areas after natural disasters and also helps in animal hoarding situations.

I couldn’t believe the schools wouldn’t want it but so it goes. Since then I found a senior activity center - which means anyone 50 or over! - would also take stamps, dies, etc. They make cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 130 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad this post generated some fresh ideas! Honestly, I said "retired" for two reasons. I didn't figure anyone would want to get rid of their "good stuff" and 2) since this board is all about organgizing, sometimes I just plain get sick of looking at the old! Happy Crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am working on trying to use paper scraps and some of my ton of designer paper. I love baking/cooking; and plan to use my abundant designer paper and vellum overlay printed with recipe; for a decorated family keepsake, 'company cookbook', with menu planned and recipes enclosed in binder.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Great ideas, I love the thought of giving cards to people in nursing homes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I never get rid of retired cardstock. Cardstock that I no longer have any ink for I put all in one file for storage in my file cabinet.

When I need a color I just can't match I go to that file and usually find what I need.

Back when the first in colors came out I bought 2 extra packs of Morning Marigold, on top of what I already had. My demo said these colors were never coming back so I bought her stash. Well I still have about 3 packs left of this color! Seriously!

Also I have been hoarding the leftovers of True Thyme and Cool Caribbean-Oh I love that color! Really wish CC would come back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 06:03 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been making ready to use embellishments with my scraps for a few weeks now after seeing several YouTube videos. I have had a blast doing so and have a basket full of them made thus far which I am going to donate to the quarterly ladies craft nite at my church.

I have a room full of stuff and am determined to "use it or purge it" so this is a win - win for me. In addition to using up scraps, I get the pleasure of being crafty and others get the benefit of having ready made supplies to use if they want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 06:21 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Old cardstock I am using up making junk journals. The big florals K&Company make great soft covers junk journals and leftover bits is a few journaling cards to match.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 12:14 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

I am a demo.. I donate my time coming up with projects for the seniors to create, cards that I make for them in quantities of 5-50 because they have very limited funds and love having cards to give to their children/grandchildren, and more. Pick an event or holiday and there's something they can use a card or goodie for. Cardstock that isn't a current SU! color doesn't mean a darn thing to me for these items, and I've been known to even buy a second set of dies off of the clearance rack to make die cutting multiples of items a lot faster. I am also a big user of scraps - right after I finish a project I grab a few punches (even retired ones-gasp) and punch out whatever I can with those scraps. I keep flowers of all colors in one holder, trees, circles, etc, and then I can just grab them as needed. I've never understood discarding something because it is retired, however I am also not doing this as a business demo. I have found a number of packs of DSP from MANY years ago in my stash, and VOILA retired colors of cardstock come in very handy. I do have a TON of items, yet I manage to use it all over time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've also donated my unwanted supplies to the girl scouts - and more specifically the troop in NYC that was created at the homeless shelters. Also, any organizations that provide housing to families.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I never get rid of retired cardstock. Cardstock that I no longer have any ink for I put all in one file for storage in my file cabinet.

When I need a color I just can't match I go to that file and usually find what I need.

Back when the first in colors came out I bought 2 extra packs of Morning Marigold, on top of what I already had. My demo said these colors were never coming back so I bought her stash. Well I still have about 3 packs left of this color! Seriously!

Also I have been hoarding the leftovers of True Thyme and Cool Caribbean-Oh I love that color! Really wish CC would come back!
I laugh! Cool Caribbean doesn't "need" to come back- I have plenty stashed to last me until I die!!! Color Hoarders Unite!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 03:35 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I would add look at hospitals. A lot of them have rec rooms with activities for the patients. Here in NYC Memorial Sloan Kettering (cancer) has a huge one.

And afterschool programs

A friend takes supplies and teaches at a Ronald McDonald house.

Personally nothing retires here. If all else fails I will cut them for scraps or envie liners.
Reply With Quote Likes