Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what app is best to organize and retrieve individual stamps in a stamp set

stamp sets are great because they usually share a common theme. but, if i want a stamp that wasn’t included in that particular set i have to look through all my stamp sets to find the object or word that i’m looking for. i’d like to have an app or system that would allow me to type in the name of a stamp set and then have the ability to describe each individual stamp (leaf, tree, frog) etc. this way i’d have an inventory of all my stamps and when i needed to find all “tree” (or whatever) stamps the app would search to find the stamp i need. does anyone have a method, program, or app that has this ability? i was considering evernote but was concerned about some of the reviews. thank you
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started using the “Color My Life” app and love it. It lets you tag your supplies. Say you had a zoo set you could add: zoo lion giraffe “be wild” (or whatever the sentiment is), monkey... whatever keywords you want to associate with the set. There’s another post in forum that has a video attached. Also-the developer is very responsive to questions and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2019, 05:42 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default color my life app to organize craft inventory

wow, it looks like a cool app. thank you so much for your reply. this app will help me tremendously in tracking my inventory
QUOTE=smdap;21840673]I just started using the “Color My Life” app and love it. It lets you tag your supplies. Say you had a zoo set you could add: zoo lion giraffe “be wild” (or whatever the sentiment is), monkey... whatever keywords you want to associate with the set. There’s another post in forum that has a video attached. Also-the developer is very responsive to questions and suggestions.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’ve used Evernote forever. I take a photo of the set, then tag it with all the individual words and phrases and the way the set could be used, I.e. “baby” or “sympathy.” All the stamping stuff goes into one notebook.

In fact, I use Evernote for just about everything. I use it for genealogy with notes tagged by surnames and counties and other identifiers. I uploaded all my mother’s healthcare info and receipts. I have recipes uploaded with a notebook for recipes to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 04:42 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve also started using the Color My Life app. I think it’s about the same amount of work as Evernote, but much cheaper, and I like that it’s specifically for crafting. There’s a separate thread on the app in this forum if you want to check out more, and lots of advice on Evernote. There’s also a thread for stamp cataloging using binders in the General Forum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh my gosh, thank you for this post! Some friends and I were just discussing how we could organize each of our collection of stamp sets so we can know what we have individually and as a group so we dont buy the same set and for seeking a particular image or sentiment. yeah! this sounds great!

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just looked for the app, seems to be only for Apple products?

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2019, 03:36 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The android version is expected to drop in September.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2019, 03:03 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've been using Evernote for over a year now, and I can find any stamp, die, or embossing folder in under 30 seconds. I use the free version, and I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2019, 03:27 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

May I ask how do you have it set up? Any hints on how to use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2019, 06:12 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazooMIView Post
May I ask how do you have it set up? Any hints on how to use?
I label each stamp set, embossing folder, and die with a letter and number. I enter them in the first line of the description. I then store them by number consecutively in drawers (soon to be transferred to my new Origami carts). I use tags, as described in previous posts, along with a list of the sentiments and images in the set in the description. I include the name of the manufacturer in the title, so that I can search that way as well. I also include a picture, whether I get it from the internet or take it myself.

I know this might sound complicated and time consuming, but it isn't complicated once you decide how your brain works. I prefer to look for a number. Others prefer to look for a category. I think the most important step with this type of organization is to figure out what will make sense to you. It does take some time to enter the information, but you will save a lot of time and eliminate the frustration of trying to find something. I've also saved myself some money by not buying something I already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm another happy Evernote user. The thing that really turned it around for me was the "web clipper". I can either use an online store, or Google, to quickly find a photo of what I want to add. I right-click on the photo, and have the option to "clip photo". I have it set up so that anything I save from the Internet automatically becomes a new note, and gets put in my "Inbox". I use my inbox the same why I use an old-fashioned paper one: everything in there is just waiting to be cleaned up and sorted.

Now that I have everything cataloged, I usually just use a receipt when I make a new purchase. I sit down, go through the list of items, and quickly Google & right-click each item. Then, when I have time, I go to my inbox, click on each new note, and copy & paste a list of information I want to include. I have a template set up with things like manufacturer, name, ID number, purchase amount, purchase date, etc. - whatever information I personally want to keep. I add tags, then type any other info I want into the description (including the various sentiments, or any word that might help me find the item). And then I sort it by product type: stamps, dies, embossing folders, etc.

It's sounds like a lot, but it take me literally no time at all to right-click on web pictures and save them. Adding descriptions and sorting takes a smidge longer, but is so worth it. I use "copy and paste" whenever I can, to save time on typing. I can add links from one note to another (such as adding links between stamp sets and coordinating dies). I can easily add photo examples of cards using that set, if I see a good idea.

I also have a folder for "quotes", where I keep all sorts of quotes and sentiments that I might want to use on a card. And a folder for card designs: ones I made as well as ones I would like to make. I can link cards with quotes that go well together.

And really, there's no limit to the way you can use this. For example, you could scan or photograph your receipt, and add it to each item's note, instead of typing in things like purchase date and price. Or you can copy and paste the description from an online store.

I make use of both tags, and detailed descriptions, but both work for searching, so you just need to figure out which one is easier for you to use. I might have a tag called "Beach", but I might type "Seashell" into the description. Both words will work with the search function. And you can search "all notes" (which will give you beachy quotes, and maybe photos from a beach vacation), or you can search "stamps" and it will just pull up rubber stamps with beachy images.

I haven't tried the new crafty app myself - it might be amazing. However, I use and LOVE Evernote, for everything - not just crafty stuff. It's like an encyclopedia for my life, with an awesome search function, back-up to the cloud, and available anywhere, on any of my devices.

Reply With Quote Likes