Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Die cut machine in craft room?

This isn't exactly about stamping, but there doesn't seem to be a forum for die-cutting so I'll ask here. I do a lot of stamping, so my craft room is full of stamp sets, coloring tools, paper etc. However, I also love die-cuts and usually die cut my stamped images in a label shape, or stitched rectangle or circle etc. That means that I use my Big Shot almost as often as I use my stamps. My craft room is also the guest room, which means that I don't have enough room to spread everything out on tables. My Big Shot sits on top of a heavy plastic, portable file-box and my dies are in bins on the floor next to it.

This means that I always sit on the floor to do all of my die-cutting and dry embossing. Not only is it kind of messy-looking, but it's starting to kill my back and legs! This makes me wonder how other people organize their die cutting machines to fit into a smallish area and still have room on their craft table for stamping and coloring. My craft room is about 120 sq feet but I have to share it with a single bed.

In a perfect world I would have a huge craft room with counters and cabinets all around, and a huge work table in the middle. Alas...no perfect world here!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Could a cart like a Raskog from Ikea work? It could be wheeled into a corner or somewhere else when not in use. There are other similar carts, though a video with side-by-side comparison of the Michael’s one gave the IKEA higher marks.
RÅSKOG Utility cart - dark blue - IKEA

Someone on Etsy was selling a top to the Raskog in order to have that raised, hard surface for the machine.

Something a little larger, though you’d need more space, would be a kitchen cart. An example, also IKEA:
FÖRHÖJA Kitchen cart - birch - IKEA

And HSN sells Origami tables and carts that fold flat when not in use. They make it look simple though I’ve never seen one. There are videos for all the Origami products:
https://www.hsn.com/products/origami...-table/8100133

I keep my die cutting machine on the corner of my computer desk since it’s compact. Next to it is a 4x2 Expedit; dies are kept in two small bins in one of the cubbies. I like keeping die cutting separate from stamping, using mediums, etc.

If you want you can post photos of the room and I bet people could give ideas specific to your space. Take care of your back and legs, ouch!

Oh, there’s a section here in the forum called “Mission Organization” just below the section you’re posting in, which fits. And for die cutting, there’s “Tool & Product Talk” two below this section.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-05-2019 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I found a waist high bookcase at the thrift store. I do wish the top was wider, 12” is a bit narrow as a cutting surface, but it works. Bonus, all my dies and embossing folders are handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2019, 07:33 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a desk in my guest( seldom used lol) room/ workshop as hubby calls it. My cuttlebug sits on the floor next to it so I can easily put it on the desk when needed.
I also purchased a cart from Ikea a number of years ago that was meant for laundry.
You can purchase them in various heights. I chose the one with 5 grid baskets or solid baskets your choice .....very large fits 12x12 with room to spare. You can also get little assorted baskets to fit these larger ones. It can be on wheels which I chose as well as thick wood top for my BS.

I purchased this while visiting in Phoenix about 5 years ago but they still carry them. I think the unit, topper($3 extra) and baskets for under 35. WOW was I impressed....and the unit was packed flat so fit in car easily.

The best part is, if I had to move it away from near my desk, I can roll it into my closet and no one would know the room was used for crafting.
I could easily put cuttlebug next to BS. On top of unit.

Sometimes you find things in the last place you would think. If you have an ikea close by
Check out the laundry area.
Happy Hunting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Here are two Raskog tops on Etsy. Or someone who's very handy could make one themselves.

Ikea Raskog Cart Topper Custom Birch Hardwood | Etsy

This second one looks amazing, especially if moving craft supplies in and out of a room or sharing a room, etc. It's spendy but at least the Raskog is not! They make some other items for Raskog too, like side storage cups/buckets.

Ikea Cart Folding Work Surface Topper for the Raskog | Etsy

And here's a topper for the Michael's cart:
Topper for Michaels Lexington cart not included | Etsy

Last edited by bjeans; 07-06-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have seen several people who have put their Bigshot on a Raskog cart and here's a way to see a whole bunch at once:
big shot on raskog - Google Search
You have the ability to use the lower bins for dies. I like it!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #7  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a Facebook group called Pimp My Raskog (all carts are discussed).

Some folks assemble the cart so the top bin is upside down. Another member posted that, with some adjustments, she was able to fit the tray from a typical inexpensive tray table snugly into the top bin.

You'll also get ideas of accessories for inside and outside the bins.

HTH and ...

Happy Crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2019, 09:51 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
I found a waist high bookcase at the thrift store. I do wish the top was wider, 12” is a bit narrow as a cutting surface, but it works. Bonus, all my dies and embossing folders are handy.

Love the idea of storing all the dies and embossing folders on the shelves below but are you able to crank the handle easily when it's sideways? That's my problem in that I need to figure out a surface that will allow me to stand facing it with the handle to the right...so I can crank it. It needs enough space away from the wall for the platform to move as it die cuts. I'm trying a spot in the living room next to my computer desk now and we'll see how that works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, thanks for all the ideas everyone. It looks like I've figured out a situation that (hopefully) will work. I tossed out my malfunctioning ink jet printer/copier which sat on a 2ft wide x 3 1/2 ft long table next to my computer desk. That gave me all that space for my Big Shot and Spellbinders Platinum 6 (which I use to embossing my die cuts so I don't have to keep switching sandwiches on the Big Shot). THEN I spent a full day emptying a 2 drawer oak filing cabinet that sits right next to that table. Filled the drawers with my dies in bins. Next I need to figure out how to store my embossing folders under the table so I can actually see and get to them easily. Whew! Haven't actually tried the Big Shot yet so keeping my fingers crossed that it works for me. If not, I am off to Ikea to check out their rolling carts. The problem is that I prefer shelves below the cart top, instead of bins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Could a cart like a Raskog from Ikea work? It could be wheeled into a corner or somewhere else when not in use. There are other similar carts, though a video with side-by-side comparison of the Michael’s one gave the IKEA higher marks.
RÅSKOG Utility cart - dark blue - IKEA

Someone on Etsy was selling a top to the Raskog in order to have that raised, hard surface for the machine.

Something a little larger, though you’d need more space, would be a kitchen cart. An example, also IKEA:
FÖRHÖJA Kitchen cart - birch - IKEA

And HSN sells Origami tables and carts that fold flat when not in use. They make it look simple though I’ve never seen one. There are videos for all the Origami products:
Origami Folding Steel Trolley Table - 8100133 | HSN

I keep my die cutting machine on the corner of my computer desk since it’s compact. Next to it is a 4x2 Expedit; dies are kept in two small bins in one of the cubbies. I like keeping die cutting separate from stamping, using mediums, etc.

If you want you can post photos of the room and I bet people could give ideas specific to your space. Take care of your back and legs, ouch!

Oh, there’s a section here in the forum called “Mission Organization” just below the section you’re posting in, which fits. And for die cutting, there’s “Tool & Product Talk” two below this section.

Uh oh...I can see that I'm going to need a trip to Ikea! I thought all the carts would have bins only, when I'm looking for shelves. However, I see carts with shelves too...eek!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 06:33 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Love the idea of storing all the dies and embossing folders on the shelves below but are you able to crank the handle easily when it's sideways? That's my problem in that I need to figure out a surface that will allow me to stand facing it with the handle to the right...so I can crank it. It needs enough space away from the wall for the platform to move as it die cuts. I'm trying a spot in the living room next to my computer desk now and we'll see how that works.

Glad you've found a solution that works! My bookcase is 2-4 inches away from the wall so the curtains hang free. I turn my Big Shot diagonally and have plenty of room to crank the handle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Origami Folding Steel Trolley Table - 8100133 | HSN

Origamis are wonderful, Beth. I have 4 in my home: 2 utility (craft and laundry rooms), 1 bookcase (used as a pantry/kitchen appliance center), and this hobby cart which holds my Big Shot, Gemini (large), ScanNCut, laminator, and Fiskars Trimmer all on the 2 shelves:
Origami Foldable 6-Drawer Hobby and Home Cart - 8413606 | HSN

Origamis are like potato chips. They came out with a larger hobby cart and I was walking around the house with a measuring tape trying to figure out where I could fit it, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
Glad you've found a solution that works! My bookcase is 2-4 inches away from the wall so the curtains hang free. I turn my Big Shot diagonally and have plenty of room to crank the handle.

Well, I tested out my new die cut station last night and found that I need more open space on the table top than first though, because I have to turn my Big Shot diagonally (as you do). It's still workable because I can turn the die machines only when I need to use them. Since it's in a living room corner I don't want it to look messy if we do have company.

Only other problem is that the placement allows die cutting noise to travel up the staircase to the master bedroom. I often craft when my husband is asleep so will have to keep that in mind or move the Big Shot to the dining room table at night. Ugh, hope I can prevent doing that often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

If it’s on a rolling cart, moving may not be as much of a hassle? I wheel one of my carts - the one not in my office/craft room - from where it’s semi-hidden, into the kitchen for Gelli plating and other painty, messy techniques.

Occasionally I wheel it all the way down a long hall into the master bedroom. One of our cats used to love to ride in the bottom level, so that was a bonus for her, though space was lost for me.

The other one is in my office and it’s often rolled back and forth. It happens to be the Raskog, but high quality casters on any cart could make it easy.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-08-2019 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

If it’s on a rolling cart, moving may not be as much of a hassle? I wheel one of my carts - the one not in my office/craft room - from where it’s semi-hidden, into the kitchen for Gelli plating and other painty, messy techniques.

Occasionally I wheel it all the way down a long hall into the master bedroom. One of our cats used to love to ride in the bottom level, so that was a bonus for her, though space was lost for me.

The other one is in my office and it’s often rolled back and forth. It happens to be the Raskog, but high quality casters on any cart could make it easy.

haha...love that your cat rides in the bottom tier! When we had cats, I had to ban mine from the craft room after one of them decided to start spraying on the vellum sheets...ugh. He was neutered and everything, but apparently just couldn't resist the vellum. Either that, or he resented the time I spent crafting without him!

My house is a split level so a rolling cart wouldn't be able to move from floor to floor. Unfortunately, my craft room is already full of "stuff" , and every wall is taken. My bedroom also has more stuff stashed in corners and in front of my dresser, eek! So I don't know where I would be able to put the cart when I'm not using it. I would love to keep the cart in our nearly-unused living room or dining room but then would have no where to move it when we have guests. Ugh...I need a bigger house..or a bigger craft room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
Origamis are wonderful, Beth. I have 4 in my home: 2 utility (craft and laundry rooms), 1 bookcase (used as a pantry/kitchen appliance center), and this hobby cart which holds my Big Shot, Gemini (large), ScanNCut, laminator, and Fiskars Trimmer all on the 2 shelves:
Origami Foldable 6-Drawer Hobby and Home Cart - 8413606 | HSN

Origamis are like potato chips. They came out with a larger hobby cart and I was walking around the house with a measuring tape trying to figure out where I could fit it, lol.

Just wondering if you keep your Big Shot on your cart when you die cut, or do you take it off and place on a table? I would be worried that the Big Shot platform and plates would need enough room to move as it cuts and wouldn't fit well inside a cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Katya is gone now, but when I move the cart I often think of her insisting on rides... The cart would be instead of what you’re using now, not in addition. But while it has three levels - and you can get a topper for it for your Big Shot and still store things on the top level - it may not hold as much as what you have now, so wouldn’t work. It’s not large (as evidenced by a 10 pound cat almost filling up the bottom), just tossing out ideas. You’ll figure it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #18  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post

Some folks assemble the cart so the top bin is upside down. Happy Crafting!

That's what I did and I put my die cutting machine on top!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I keep my die cutter on my crafting table. I have a Spellbinder Platinum so I can close it up when I'm not using it & it takes very little space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2019, 04:24 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Just wondering if you keep your Big Shot on your cart when you die cut, or do you take it off and place on a table? I would be worried that the Big Shot platform and plates would need enough room to move as it cuts and wouldn't fit well inside a cart.
I take it off and use it on my kitchen counter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2019, 04:40 AM   #21  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

My top bin is upside down so it's a flat surface - and yes, I die cut right on that. It never leaves the cart
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 05:51 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

The cart ideas are great. Can you use the closet? You can then roll it out when need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I have a question: if you put it on top of the cart-does it move when you crank the big shot bc it is on wheels?

Me: I just put the big shot on my work desk, make my cuts and move it back into place. I mean you cant be doing anything else at the same time anyway right? It sounds like you could stamp out your images, put your stamps away/move them to the side and move the big shot over and cut away like I do. It would not occur to me to try doing it on the floor with my back. I would take it out to the dining room table first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
The cart ideas are great. Can you use the closet? You can then roll it out when need.

Don't I wish I could use the closet! It's filled to the brim already with shelving that holds my paper and card stock, embellishments, reinkers, mixed media supplies etc, etc. Not an inch to spare!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I have a question: if you put it on top of the cart-does it move when you crank the big shot bc it is on wheels?

Me: I just put the big shot on my work desk, make my cuts and move it back into place. I mean you cant be doing anything else at the same time anyway right? It sounds like you could stamp out your images, put your stamps away/move them to the side and move the big shot over and cut away like I do. It would not occur to me to try doing it on the floor with my back. I would take it out to the dining room table first.
I wondered that about the cart moving when I crank my Big Shot as well. Maybe they have carts with brakes, to prevent them from wheeling unless you want them to?

The reason that I ended up cutting on the floor was because my craft table is only 4 feet long and filled with too much stuff. I have my Ott light, bins of stamps that I am using on projects this week, and need space to use my paper trimmer and Misti. Oh, and a shallow box that hold my Memento black ink and assorted small ink pads to use with my Misti. I barely have room to stamp..eek! I think my craft area needs a major overhaul and the die cutting area is the first to undergo that process.

Also, I have a large box that holds all of my small cardstock scraps, which I go to first for die cutting. Rather than cut into a full sheet, I try to use up my scraps first. Of course, the more I die cut, the more scraps I end up with...a never-ending loop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your guest bed have a nightstand by it? If your guest bed isn't used very often I would plant my die cutter on the nightstand and it could easily be stashed somewhere else when you have guests. If you had a light on the nightstand I would switch it out to one that goes on the wall by the bed. I also went up the wall in my craft room. I used Ikea kitchen rods that my old style punches hang from and ribbons fill metal baskets that hang from the same rods. I found a wooden ink pad holder and my DH screwed it into the wall. If you can get a few things out of your closet you'd have a place to stash it when you have guests.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by postmarkView Post
Does your guest bed have a nightstand by it? If your guest bed isn't used very often I would plant my die cutter on the nightstand and it could easily be stashed somewhere else when you have guests. If you had a light on the nightstand I would switch it out to one that goes on the wall by the bed. I also went up the wall in my craft room. I used Ikea kitchen rods that my old style punches hang from and ribbons fill metal baskets that hang from the same rods. I found a wooden ink pad holder and my DH screwed it into the wall. If you can get a few things out of your closet you'd have a place to stash it when you have guests.

Thanks for your input! Lots of good idea here, but I just lack extra space. I do have a nightstand, but it's already full of a basket of stamps and a box full of embellishments. The lamp is on the wall and I also have an old wooden casette tape holder that is mounted on the wall with my most-used ink pads. In fact, I have TWO casette holders on the wall. I also keep my large foam tape roll, scissors, and double sided tape rolls hanging on the wall. A wall full of Iris carts with drawers, and three wall mounted shelves above them hold more stamps, twine, Nuvo drops, etc. Basically I have three rooms full of stuff in one room...sigh. Now that I moved my die stuff downstairs, I have freed up some space, but it's all on the floor! Hmmm, maybe I have room for a rolling cart now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, thanks so much for all the helpful ideas everyone. I have come to realize that I really need to overhaul my storage in general and consolidate more things because I'm already using every square inch of space on the walls and tabletops in that room. I even have boxes on the bed, which I clear away and put in my bedroom when we have guests. Thankfully my two granddaughters listen to me when I tell them not to touch anything in my craft room when they sleep over, unless I give permission. I'd hate to think about them going wild with my alcohol inks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

One last thought - not in everyone’s budget, and not everyone’s cup of tea. And that’s hiring a professional organizer for a couple hours, one with experience dealing with craft/hobby/dual-purpose rooms and adept at room flow/space reorganization - making shifts, not just sorting/“containerizing” items.

Some have a half-day minimum, and depending on location, there could be lots of organizing pros - or none. Going to NAPO’s site can be a good start; organizers have to do quite a bit to earn a certification. Googling for reviews doesn’t hurt.

I was 90% done sorting/organizing a space and burned out, could not see the big picture. Having someone come in with a fresh eye and years of the right experience helped - a few shifts and changes = big impact. It also inspired me to get rid of more stuff, which freed up more space and options.

(No matter how much I get rid of, going back in few weeks there’s always 10% more to get rid of.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

One last thought - not in everyone’s budget, and not everyone’s cup of tea. And that’s hiring a professional organizer for a couple hours, one with experience dealing with craft/hobby/dual-purpose rooms and adept at room flow/space reorganization - making shifts, not just sorting/“containerizing” items.

Some have a half-day minimum, and depending on location, there could be lots of organizing pros - or none. Going to NAPO’s site can be a good start; organizers have to do quite a bit to earn a certification. Googling for reviews doesn’t hurt.

I was 90% done sorting/organizing a space and burned out, could not see the big picture. Having someone come in with a fresh eye and years of the right experience helped - a few shifts and changes = big impact. It also inspired me to get rid of more stuff, which freed up more space and options.

(No matter how much I get rid of, going back in few weeks there’s always 10% more to get rid of.)

That's why I don't hire a professional organizer. I'm sure they would tell me that I need to get rid of over half my stuff..eeek (and they would be right)...sigh...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

A good professional organizer would help you decide what you want to get rid of - if anything! In fact mine suggested I not get rid of a few things I was ready to give the heave ho to!

Organizing often includes decluttering but not always, or not a lot. It can be what to put where and in what.

Example: why were lots of rarely-used adhesives on the top of my Raskog cart, prime real estate for most-grabbed supplies? It took months of being mildly irritated to dawn on me that didn’t make sense. All adhesives do not need to live together.

I stored the adhesives in a clear bin, still visible, near other supplies that are used but not often. A few were tossed. So instead of “adhesives” being the organizing category, “seldom used” was the category. Duh.

But a good organizer would have quickly spotted the mis-organization after asking questions about my goals and how I craft.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-12-2019 at 03:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Christmas in July here. I ordered the:Origami 10-Drawer Rolling Cart with Wood Top in Red. A $10.00 difference in price from the 6 drawer. Thanks for the ideas, I'd seen these carts a few years ago on HSN but at that time I didn't have as much hoard, er, I mean my collections weren't as big as they are now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I keep my frequently needed tools close at hand. I work on my daughters old French provincial desk with a knee hole and 4 side drawers and one in the middle. Bone folder,scissors etc in little container on desk. The drawers also hold tweezer#, blending stumps and other at hand supplies.The rest in rolling cart close enough and extra 8x11 cardstock envies and glues etc in cupboard.
I can get an awful lot in my cart which is bigger than IKEA one and the little inserts hold a ton of ink pads embossing powders etc.My BS sits on top of my cart and my bug on the floor close at hand to pickup onto desk...no need to keep either on desk if I am not using.yes I have to also place either one at an angle to cut but how often are you going to be cutting on a daily basis.

I routinely go through and purge my supplies for extra paper like too small pieces and those “small treasures” I picked up at various places and never used.
Hah don't ask about my ribbon drawer.........so many picked up because a I could not leave Mikes without using the coupon. So when I need ribbon of course I don’t have color that matches� ����.
Anyway I agree that organization and perhaps another place you can put extra supplies to free up space in room. I also have a daybed in mine and occasionally “stuff” gets placed on bed ......but only when a I am working ....so only untidy area at one time may be desk.
Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to find the right solution.
Now ask me about top shelf of cupboard........I like to make a lot of various boxes and packaging items made up that I keep on hand, so I can grab one to copy .....if I need to make bigger or smaller . I confess a I can’t give my grandsons couple of Hershey kisses without packaging them lol.
Lots of good advice here I am sure you will find a solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

bjeans, I tried doing that thing you did with your adhesives. I've tried it with inks, tools, adhesives, you name it. Every single time I did separate something or move it, that ol' Murphy's Law curse struck. It didn't matter if I'd had something for 10 years, and never needed it. I move it, and need it practically the next day! Really! I remember the last thing it happened with - feathers!!! I used them for a Sunday School project ten years earlier, and never once used a feather after that. You would THINK I'd be safe storing them away in a bigger tote (that was a pain to get to), right? Nope. Needed them a day or two after I moved them. (To make a toy for the cat.) What's worse? When you have an item in the same place for 12+ years, decide it should be stored with something else, and a couple weeks go by and you need it. By then, I'd totally forgotten where I moved it to! Tore the place apart looking for it, and ended up buying another. (Okay, I'm done with my rant now. hahaha)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Now that’s funny, Pam! Synchronicity! But I’m sneakier; I keep the put away things in clear boxes or boxes with big honkin’ labels (bad eyes). Totes are tough.

Moral of the story: keep your feathers close. The cats are waiting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 09:54 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
bjeans, I tried doing that thing you did with your adhesives. I've tried it with inks, tools, adhesives, you name it. Every single time I did separate something or move it, that ol' Murphy's Law curse struck. It didn't matter if I'd had something for 10 years, and never needed it. I move it, and need it practically the next day! Really! I remember the last thing it happened with - feathers!!! I used them for a Sunday School project ten years earlier, and never once used a feather after that. You would THINK I'd be safe storing them away in a bigger tote (that was a pain to get to), right? Nope. Needed them a day or two after I moved them. (To make a toy for the cat.) What's worse? When you have an item in the same place for 12+ years, decide it should be stored with something else, and a couple weeks go by and you need it. By then, I'd totally forgotten where I moved it to! Tore the place apart looking for it, and ended up buying another. (Okay, I'm done with my rant now. hahaha)

Yes! In fact, this happens so often to me that the best way to ensure that I will need a supply in the not distant future is to put it somewhere "safe". Then when I find that I really need it for a specific challenge or project, it's nowhere to be found. Something is just wrong with this picture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Now that’s funny, Pam! Synchronicity! But I’m sneakier; I keep the put away things in clear boxes or boxes with big honkin’ labels (bad eyes). Totes are tough.

Moral of the story: keep your feathers close. The cats are waiting.
My house is full of clear boxes with big labels on them. Nope, still can't find anything (and I don't even have cats anymore, so no excuses)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Keep a running list, hard copy or on the computer of where stuff is? Of course it would be easy to misplace the list. (I figured out the best place for something a few weeks ago and couldn’t find it the next day.)

Going through every single thing I had and donating tons of it to a non-profit thrift shop near and dear to my heart really helped. Plus breaking apart kits - that was hard at first. (When I started stamping/making cards I subscribed to Studio Calico’s scrapbooking kit to build up a stash!)

The biggest obstacle - besides just starting - was recognizing/accepting the difference between “cool/pretty/fun/cute/funny” versus “what I’ll actually use.” Once I got ruthless about that it was easier.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-15-2019 at 03:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I take my bigshot out and put it on the table when I cut. I store it in my Raskog, in the middle basket along with my magnetic bowl to hold extra dies while I cut.

Bottom basket holds my embossing folders and cutting plates.

Top basket holds two plastic bins, one for steel rule dies, one for thin dies on magnet cards. It's pretty heavy and I was worried about it making the whole card too top-heavy, but it's been ok so far. I like them on top so I can just flip through and see which I want.
Reply With Quote Likes