Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Stamping with gray instead of black ink

I almost always stamp my images to be colored with either Versafine Onyx, or Memento Tuxedo black ink. However, there are times when the black ink is a little bit too dark, especially if i use my Misti and stamp more than once to get a good full image.

Does anyone use gray ink instead of black for some of their stamping? I have Smokey Gray, by Versafine and Basic Gray by Stampin Up. The Basic Gray seems a little light, and Smokey Gray is a little on the brown side..plus my Smokey Gray ink pad is a bit too juicy and doesn't give a sharp image. So, I've been considering trying Memento Gray Flannel. Just wondering if anyone uses that for stamped images and how that works. If Basic gray is about the same, then I'll just stick with that instead of buying yet another ink pad.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

its a different shade. ( my sample book of swatches of ink pads is at home) but, one of the memento grays has more of a blue ish tint to it.

and yes, I do use all the ones you mentioned and a few others.

sometimes when I want it to look like "no line coloring" I will grab a Distress Antique linen. (brown) or if its a plant leafy type thing I will do the Old paper pad as it has a greenish tint to it.
sometimes I use the Memento shoot whats the name. something sand I think. its also a pale brown tan color.

any of them will work, I think it just depends on how you are going to color it and how dark the colors are going to be.

eta and then I do the sentiment in black because, I tend to want it to pop better. and I am like that new versafine clair nocturn (black) ( I have not bought a gray shade in that yet but, the blues, greens and browns are all being used in my room)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't used the Momento, but know what you mean about Smokey Gray having a brown undertone. A gray I use that's close in value (to my eyes) to Smokey Gray but with no brown is Ranger Archival/Wendy Vecchi Watering Can.

And Versafine Clair Morning Mist is a little lighter than both, with no brown.

I have a comparison photo but switched phones and am not sure how to access the photo. If I can figure it out I'll post it, though it may look different on different monitors/screens.

ETA On my computer Watering Can looks fairly black, but it's not. I guess I should have stamped the cats in Jet Black for a better comparison. If you'd like me to, yell.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: photo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
its a different shade. ( my sample book of swatches of ink pads is at home) but, one of the memento grays has more of a blue ish tint to it.

and yes, I do use all the ones you mentioned and a few others.

sometimes when I want it to look like "no line coloring" I will grab a Distress Antique linen. (brown) or if its a plant leafy type thing I will do the Old paper pad as it has a greenish tint to it.
sometimes I use the Memento shoot whats the name. something sand I think. its also a pale brown tan color.

any of them will work, I think it just depends on how you are going to color it and how dark the colors are going to be.

eta and then I do the sentiment in black because, I tend to want it to pop better. and I am like that new versafine clair nocturn (black) ( I have not bought a gray shade in that yet but, the blues, greens and browns are all being used in my room)

I looked at samples online of both Memento gray inks and it seems like London Fog is a little more blue..and possibly lighter than Gray Flannel. However, not seeing either them in person , it's just a guess. Thanks for your reply..and suggestion for no-line coloring choices. I wasn't necessarily ready to try no-line coloring, but am looking for something that isn't as bold. Some of the stamps I've used have heavy stamping lines and the black ink is kind of overpowering, you know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Memento Espresso Truffle when I think tuxedo black is too dark.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I haven't used the Momento, but know what you mean about Smokey Gray having a brown undertone. A gray I use that's close in value (to my eyes) to Smokey Gray but with no brown is Ranger Archival/Wendy Vecchi Watering Can.

And Versafine Clair Morning Mist is a little lighter than both, with no brown.

I have a comparison photo but switched phones and am not sure how to access the photo. If I can figure it out I'll post it, though it may look different on different monitors/screens.

ETA On my computer Watering Can looks fairly black, but it's not. I guess I should have stamped the cats in Jet Black for a better comparison. If you'd like me to, yell.

So Watering Can is a dark gray, right? I like it! I may have to go search for that one online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
So Watering Can is a dark gray, right? I like it! I may have to go search for that one online.

Yes, exactly, dark gray. Right now it's being sold all over. I need a re-inker so glad you brought this up!

Wendy Vecchi Designer Series Archival Ink Pad - Walmart.com

https://rangerink.com/products/wendy...d-watering-can

We use Ranger's Archival in a little class where we use water-based mediums and it's great.

It's on sale for $5.09 on Joggles (who's also having alcohol ink sales, yum).
Archival Ink Pad - Watering Can - Joggles.com

Photo isn't showing the difference well at all on my screen but it's there! Top is Archival jet black, bottom is watering can - a charcoal gray, no brown, no blue, just neutral to my eye.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-12-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Hero Arts do a couple of nice grays - Charcoal (they class it as a mid tone ink) and Soft Granite (one of their shadow ink range).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 04:07 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The Memento London Fog is a lighter, cooler gray than Flannel and my preferred ink for stamping in gray. Hope you find something you like!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 04:21 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Hero Arts do a couple of nice grays - Charcoal (they class it as a mid tone ink) and Soft Granite (one of their shadow ink range).

Sorry, meant to say I don’t have swatches stamped but can do if you’re interested in seeing them.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 06:06 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used lots of different colors back when scenic stamping was all the rage. Amy from Beeswax stamps tells everyone to think outside of the box and let what and how you are coloring the image dictate what color it is stamped with. She would do beautiful work with blue, lavender, terracotta etc, not just neutrals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post
The Memento London Fog is a lighter, cooler gray than Flannel and my preferred ink for stamping in gray. Hope you find something you like!

Wow, thanks so much for the comparison chart. This is just what I needed for comparison.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

I looked at samples online of both Memento gray inks and it seems like London Fog is a little more blue..and possibly lighter than Gray Flannel. However, not seeing either them in person , it's just a guess. Thanks for your reply..and suggestion for no-line coloring choices. I wasn't necessarily ready to try no-line coloring, but am looking for something that isn't as bold. Some of the stamps I've used have heavy stamping lines and the black ink is kind of overpowering, you know?

I have both Gray Flannel and London Fog and I use both, depending on what my subject is and what colors I will use for coloring.

London Fog is a cool gray. You might say it is "bluer".
Gray Flannel is a warm gray, or even a French grey. You might say that it is "browner".

If I am trying to make my stamped image a little less bold than black, I will use the London Fog.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I have both Gray Flannel and London Fog and I use both, depending on what my subject is and what colors I will use for coloring.

London Fog is a cool gray. You might say it is "bluer".
Gray Flannel is a warm gray, or even a French grey. You might say that it is "browner". ...
Nice to see that someone else follows the same 'gray' line that I use! lol
I've had London Fog for years, and this year picked up Gray Flannel. The Gray Flannel is now my preferred gray for stamping "lighter than black" on images to color with Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

Agh!!! It's threads EXACTLY LIKE THIS that are the reason I have over a dozen different black inks! lmbo I think I have three grays. Anyone want to bet how many I will end up before the month ends? It wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that I always end up using the same ink, and rarely touch the others. For example, the only black ink pad I've used in forever is the VersaFine Clair Nocturne. Now I'm thinking, "Hmmm, I don't have a gray in this brand/type..." :???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I use gray quite a bit. Recently I purchased a few more Lawn Fawn gray inks. I had Hippo for some time and added Manatee, a really light gray, and Narwhal which is a dark gray. I have used Memento inks for several years and also use Gina K Designs inks. The dark gray of Gina K called Slate is very much like Narwhal of Lawn Fawn. It is darker than the Memento gray ink colors. Gina has Moonlit Fog a lighter gray that is close to Manatee, though you can't tell from the screen, and those colors are a close match to London Fog by Memento. In Gina's store there are a few new grays, many read for No Line Coloring. I do not own them, so can't do a comparison to other brands.

I just noticed that Lawn Fawn has Storm Cloud. It looks like a dark gray. I might need to pick another ink pad up.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Last edited by lovinpaper; 07-13-2019 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: adding another color
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #17  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
Agh!!! It's threads EXACTLY LIKE THIS that are the reason I have over a dozen different black inks! lmbo I think I have three grays. Anyone want to bet how many I will end up before the month ends? It wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that I always end up using the same ink, and rarely touch the others. For example, the only black ink pad I've used in forever is the VersaFine Clair Nocturne. Now I'm thinking, "Hmmm, I don't have a gray in this brand/type..." :???:
I get what you're saying. I do have 3 or 4 VersaFine Clair pads, but as soon as I realized they aren't compatible with Copics, I knew immediately that I had 2 or 3 too many for me. However, I really like their performance with sentiments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

For me, Versafine, Memento, and Gina K Amalgam. Resisting another black. Trying, anyway.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
For me, Versafine, Memento, and Gina K Amalgam. Resisting another black. Trying, anyway.
I have those three but keep forgetting about Memento. I use Ranger Archival Jet Black the most since it works well with water and over paint and it’s used in my LSS classes - just what you get used to it.

I lost mine so bought another. Then lost it. They reappeared. Then there were three.

Versafine Clair Nocturne may be the richest, deepest black I’ve seen/used. It - and all Versafine Clair colors - can be heat embossed a good 5-6 minutes after being stamped, even when they feel dry.

I told the owner of a stamp company that at a Stamp and SB Expo when he was making a card using V. Clair. He didn’t believe me but was willing to take the challenge and liked that he was wrong. (I wonder if Fiona will keep resisting.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I get what you're saying. I do have 3 or 4 VersaFine Clair pads, but as soon as I realized they aren't compatible with Copics, I knew immediately that I had 2 or 3 too many for me. However, I really like their performance with sentiments

Wait, what? VersaFine isn't compatible with Copics?! No, it has to be. That's a main reason I use that ink as my go-to ink. :eek: It works with Copics, plus I can also emboss with it and the black is a wonderful shade. I could swear I've colored images stamped with it. (I only use Copics or SU Blends to color, 'cause I stink at coloring and they make my coloring passable at least.)

>>>>>>>>>One hour or more after my last sentence ... come to think of it, MAYBE it doesn't. I'm realizing I almost always emboss my images with clear EP. I recently stamped some without embossing, but I had DD color those for me. She's been coloring for me since she was in middle school, and she'll be 20 this month, so I'm almost positive she wouldn't tolerate a smeared image. I have to go investigate and check for myself. It will make me nuts until I know for sure. To be continued... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

PS: Kazeka, I'm so sorry I got off topic talking about a black ink! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Wait, what? VersaFine isn't compatible with Copics?! No, it has to be. That's a main reason I use that ink as my go-to ink. :eek: It works with Copics, plus I can also emboss with it and the black is a wonderful shade. I could swear I've colored images stamped with it. (I only use Copics or SU Blends to color, 'cause I stink at coloring and they make my coloring passable at least.)

>>>>>>>>>One hour or more after my last sentence ... come to think of it, MAYBE it doesn't. I'm realizing I almost always emboss my images with clear EP. I recently stamped some without embossing, but I had DD color those for me. She's been coloring for me since she was in middle school, and she'll be 20 this month, so I'm almost positive she wouldn't tolerate a smeared image. I have to go investigate and check for myself. It will make me nuts until I know for sure. To be continued... ;)
The Versafine clair does not work for me and copics. It smears. But it's a really nice and crisp black ink otherwise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2019, 06:51 AM   #23  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Specifically it's the VersaFine Clair ink that isn't compatible with Copics.
As everyone has mentioned, it's an awesome ink for crisp sentiments. Plus, it's a good one for watercoloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I almost always stamp my images to be colored with either Versafine Onyx, or Memento Tuxedo black ink. However, there are times when the black ink is a little bit too dark, especially if i use my Misti and stamp more than once to get a good full image.

Does anyone use gray ink instead of black for some of their stamping? I have Smokey Gray, by Versafine and Basic Gray by Stampin Up. The Basic Gray seems a little light, and Smokey Gray is a little on the brown side..plus my Smokey Gray ink pad is a bit too juicy and doesn't give a sharp image. So, I've been considering trying Memento Gray Flannel. Just wondering if anyone uses that for stamped images and how that works. If Basic gray is about the same, then I'll just stick with that instead of buying yet another ink pad.

Thanks!

I've used Memento London Fog, which is very close in color to SU Smoky Slate.
They both seem like a softer grey than SU Basic Gray, which to me reads like a 'light black' lol.

I do prefer Memento inks for stamping images I'm coloring with alcohol markers, it works great.

Hope this might help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my goodness, you’re all correct about it not working with Copics!!! I am well on my way to senile! I went and found some images I’d already had stamped to do a color test. Know why it never smeared for me? Because I always emboss with clear over it! It’s all coming back to me now. Fell in Love with that ink because the ink was so dark and I could emboss with it even if I waited a few minutes to get to it. I’m such a big dummy sometimes. Lol. This is what happens when I’m not on SCS regularly. I forget stuff! (I haven’t been on here much at all the last few months. Lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
I've used Memento London Fog, which is very close in color to SU Smoky Slate.
They both seem like a softer grey than SU Basic Gray, which to me reads like a 'light black' lol.

I do prefer Memento inks for stamping images I'm coloring with alcohol markers, it works great.

Hope this might help!

I am using an old Stampin' Up Going Gray ink pad and re-inking with Basic Gray. The gray is lighter than I want, kind of a mid-toned gray instead of the darker gray that I'm looking for. Maybe I need to add more Basic Gray re-inker and see if it darkens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I almost never use black. I stamp mostly in brown. I do sometimes use gray.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

keeping for reference later....thanks for all the info....grey sounds like a nice color to get
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I am using an old Stampin' Up Going Gray ink pad and re-inking with Basic Gray. The gray is lighter than I want, kind of a mid-toned gray instead of the darker gray that I'm looking for. Maybe I need to add more Basic Gray re-inker and see if it darkens.

Do you have the newer Basic Gray ink? I mean to say, a few years ago they changed it up and made that color an Archival ink formula and sold it on a linen-style pad (rather than the foam). Supposedly the Archival is good for coloring... so you might want to look at your re-inker just to see.

Still when I want grey to color with alcohol markers, I stamp witn my Memento.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Stamping with grey ink

Quote:

Do you have the newer Basic Gray ink? I mean to say, a few years ago they changed it up and made that color an Archival ink formula and sold it on a linen-style pad (rather than the foam). Supposedly the Archival is good for coloring... so you might want to look at your re-inker just to see.

Soooo, my original ink was and still is Versafine onyx black which is older than dirt and still great. I did buy Momento two years ago and still have not opened.
Why you may ask.......because like others here have posted I have yet to find any problems with bleeding when using Watercolors, alcohol inks. I do not use Copics and can’t understand SU saying you have to use Momento with alcohol inks.....this is not the case and a I humbly suggest they just promote for whatever reason.
I am not sure why no one else has discovered that you don’t need to use Momento. I also like that Versafine Onyx Black gives such nice crisp image. I do use the above mentioned greys and do agree with the description of the color.
Did not mean to highjack but just wanted to share my thoughts on Momento.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I was also wondering if it is on SU paper that you have to use Momento? I don’t use their paper much. I have always used 110# paper but last week did use SU thick whisper white Nd Versafine worked just fine on that one. I use a number of Momento products just not their black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Hmm, I'm not sure which version of Basic Gray ink refill I have. I know I have the old linen ink pad (as in really, really old), not the foam pad. I'll check to see which I have.

I do prefer Memento ink for alcohol markers too, but am wondering if I can get by with what I have in terms of gray.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #33  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't use any alcohol markers but there are several (older) web articles that explain why Memento is one of the recommended ink pads.

From 2015:

http://kathleendriggers.com/copic-fa...copic-markers/

I didn't notice a date, but this article was written by Patter Cross (identicaltriplets):

Choosing Stamp Inks to Use With Copic Markers - Scrapbook.com

And one from 2009:

In Touch: Best Inks To Use With Copic Markers by Sharon Harnist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So funny: I use Versafine Clair ink with alcohol markers frequently and it does not smear for me! Very strange… My favorite ink color of all time is VF Smoky Grey and my new favorite now is definitely VF Clair Morning Mist. I think I have at least 6 other gray inks :-) but this is the one I go back to again and again instead of black, trading off with Memento Espresso Truffle if I need a warmer shade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

subbing. I love discussions like this!

And yes...it could make me look at picking up a couple more lol....unfortunately, VF clair does not fit into my organize more ink storage slots so unless I can find another place I have to keep those down. I have the black that I keep with all it's black pals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Removed my comment about Versafine Clair. The Organize More newer, compact design doesn’t hold Versafine Clair pads. I have the older style, and when needing a new one, they agreed to make an older style so height would match. I didn’t realize that the inside measurements were different too.

For those considering buying the the holders it might be worth asking if they’d make the old style if Versafine Clairs are part of the ink stash. If they agreed the cost would be higher and the wait longer since it would be outside the norm. (It’s a small family business.)

Last edited by bjeans; 07-17-2019 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Correction
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I often use gray to stamp with, I also like sepia. I use Watering Can; Ranger/W.Vecchi Archival Ink..waterproof, Shadow Gray; Umbrella Crafts dye ink and Vintage Sepia; Versafine pigment ink along with Onyx Black from Versafine. These give me sharp images. All my "go to's" for stamping.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, let me just add to the discussion that Altenew has a couple families of gray inks...four to a family, ranging from light to dark...just in case you need a few in both warm and dark grays. Cuz you know...some of us just need more options...you know who you are. <cheesy grin> You are welcome

https://altenew.com/products/gentlem...-mini-cube-set

https://altenew.com/products/warm-gray-mini-set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
Soooo, my original ink was and still is Versafine onyx black which is older than dirt and still great. I did buy Momento two years ago and still have not opened.
Why you may ask.......because like others here have posted I have yet to find any problems with bleeding when using Watercolors, alcohol inks. I do not use Copics and can’t understand SU saying you have to use Momento with alcohol inks.....this is not the case and a I humbly suggest they just promote for whatever reason.
I am not sure why no one else has discovered that you don’t need to use Momento. I also like that Versafine Onyx Black gives such nice crisp image. I do use the above mentioned greys and do agree with the description of the color.

Did not mean to highjack but just wanted to share my thoughts on Momento.
If you have an unopened Memento inkpad you really should give it a try. I always used nothing but Versafine in onyx for years...even with my alcohol markers. LOVE the crisp images with detailed stamps. However, I bought a Memento black ink pad about 6 months or so ago and wow, it works just as well as the Versafine, and is better with the alcohol inks. I used to get a little bit of bleeding with alcohol inks when I used Versafine, but there is absolutely none with the Memento ink pad. After reading about not using Versafine with alcohol inks, I need to go back and do a test with both inks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
Nice to see that someone else follows the same 'gray' line that I use! lol
I've had London Fog for years, and this year picked up Gray Flannel. The Gray Flannel is now my preferred gray for stamping "lighter than black" on images to color with Copics.

I'm liking that Gray Flannel color a lot too (even though I still haven't seen it in person). The London Fog looks a little bluer than I would like but it would probably be really great with no-line coloring. I like the extra definition that the darker gray would give however, without the boldness of black.

Ugh, I do not need more ink pads but I think that Gray Flannel is going on my list next.
Reply With Quote Likes