Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Clear stamp stuck to packaging

I recently ordered a clear stamp made by Prima Marketing. As usual, it came sandwiched between two pieces of plastic, one with the image showing. I got the plain piece of plastic off, but try as I might, I cannot get the stamp off the printed plastic. I have tugged as much as I dare, but I'm afraid of tearing the stamp if I put more muscle into it. I finally had to tape it to the Misti to use it.

This is a brand new stamp. I've never had a stamp do this, and I've emailed the company to get their advice, but in the meantime, I wonder if any of you has had this problem and how you solved it.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an SCS thread with some suggestions: stamps stuck to acrylic backing they came on by kayceebee at Splitcoaststampers

Most suggestions are for ez mounted stamps, but at least one is for clear.

HTH a little! I've never had this dilemna........yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #3  

And a post from Poppydarling on another SCS thread: "After reading another helpful thread here, I put all of my clear stamp sets that were fused to the clear index backing sheets into the freezer and they finally could be pulled off! "
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

15 minutes in the freezer didn't help, so I put left it in for another 15; it still will not release. I think I'll just leave it there for a good while - it can't hurt! Thanks to to two of you. If anybody else has another suggestion, please feel free to post it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I had an alphabet set that refused to let go of the packaging, so I just trimmed around each letter as if it was on cling foam and used them that way. I don't have them any more, but it worked for me at the time...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks, Sue. This is one solid stamp, and although I can tape it to the Misti or a block, I'd rather not. I'll tell you this for free, though: I'll never buy another Prima stamp again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemurLoverView Post
Thanks, Sue. This is one solid stamp, and although I can tape it to the Misti or a block, I'd rather not. I'll tell you this for free, though: I'll never buy another Prima stamp again!
If you still have the packaging, I'd be curious where it's made. And is the company Prima Marketing? Sorry you have to go through this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

bjeans, it's Prima Marketing Company and the stamp was made in Taiwan. Based on information in the post from QueenOfInkland above, I wonder if the index sheet (which is what's stuck) is acetate, apparently a real no-no where clear stamps are concerned.

I did get hold of someone at Prima Marketing this morning - she suggested soaking it in soapy water, although I can't imagine why that would work. I'll try it, but I'm inclined to try to release it with GooGone, swabbing on a little at a time, then pulling, swabbing some more, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm very surprised the lady at Prima Marketing didn't say, "We're so sorry. We'll send you out a replacement right away." That's what I'd expect if I received a defective item from a company.

I've had this happen to me with a set I received as a gift. I just did what Sue did, and cut around the images. Then stuck a piece of double sided tape on them so they'd stick to my MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #10  

Ok....a few suggestions that I found at the bottom of this scrapbook.com thread: https://www.scrapbook.com/forums/sho...p?tid/1581901/

"yup like Becky said, try washing them. I had a couple of sets that were like this and I just ran them under some warm water and they came off just fine. "

"Use your blow dryer not your embossing tool it gets to hot and blow on the back of the plastic sheet. Warm them up slightly and they should come free."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemurLoverView Post
bjeans, it's Prima Marketing Company and the stamp was made in Taiwan. Based on information in the post from QueenOfInkland above, I wonder if the index sheet (which is what's stuck) is acetate, apparently a real no-no where clear stamps are concerned.

I did get hold of someone at Prima Marketing this morning - she suggested soaking it in soapy water, although I can't imagine why that would work. I'll try it, but I'm inclined to try to release it with GooGone, swabbing on a little at a time, then pulling, swabbing some more, etc.
Let us know how it goes. I was thinking trying warmth instead of coldth too.

As per their website, GooGone shouldn't be used on rubber, but it doesn't say anything about photopolymer or acetate. In on-line comments back in 2012 or 2013 someone said Prima's clear stamps weren't photopolymer, but that was a long time ago, and believe it or not, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. (Can you imagine?!)

Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

My thought too was soaking in warm water a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Soaking it in really hot water didn't budge it much, but in the end, it was the hair dryer on the hottest setting that did the trick. I'd hate to have to iron out the curl in the index sheet, but this stamp will never make contact with that again, believe me! Thanks to all of you for the ideas and the references to other threads by prior sufferers for pointing me in the right direction, and sympathizing, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #14  

Diana, so happy to hear you found a working solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

I had emailed the company to ask if their stamps were photopolymer or acetate, and where they were made. They responded that they are acetate and made in China.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You are far more patient than I. I would have continued talking with customer in-service, requested a prepaid mailing label for return and a replacement stamp to be sent. Kudos to you for sticking it out until you found a solution that worked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was told to put the stamp in a bowl of warm water to help release it.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

You can't always find out, but I try to stay away from acrylic clear stamps, and stick with photopolymer, no pun intended. Really! I also try to find out if the backing sheet is acetate or polyester like Duralar. If it's acetate, I adhere it to a piece of Grafix Duralar, so the stamp doesn't touch it. Probably overkill, but simple and inexpensive, so I figure why not.

I assume other companies sell "safe" sheets too; Duralar is just readily available, including through Amazon, and their customer service is really good too, if you have questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

The Prima stamps I have actually have a very thin sheet of adhesive, thinner than cling plastic (kitchen) but looks similar, then a hard-backed ez mount style foam (kind of like SU! stamps have) with the image printed on it the the rubber (mint-colored) adhered to that. I found my stamps left the thin adhesive behind when I removed them from the acetate. when I showed Prima a photo they happily sent me a new stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
The Prima stamps I have actually have a very thin sheet of adhesive, thinner than cling plastic (kitchen) but looks similar, then a hard-backed ez mount style foam (kind of like SU! stamps have) with the image printed on it the the rubber (mint-colored) adhered to that. I found my stamps left the thin adhesive behind when I removed them from the acetate. when I showed Prima a photo they happily sent me a new stamp.
Nice to know they stand behind their products! What I had was a clear stamp which I bought cheap on clearance, so not quite the same situation. In any case, I got the thing off the plastic and it will never come into contact with that stuff again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Default Finally removed!

I had not used these clear stamps for years and they were welded to the acrylic. Prying did nothing. I tried very warm/hot water and a little soap. 3 came right off. The other 2 I chiseled off. I put the stamp on the lid of my MISTI and then, with the paper secured by magnets, closed the back to the stamp. It worked! I really like the stamps and did not want to lose them out of my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 05:06 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I have some of these too that I haven't used for a while, and I noticed the other day that the backing is separating from the foam.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 851 Likes on 509 Posts
Smile

Wish I had seen this in the past. I have had some that ripped when I tried to pull them off the sheet. I remember one was a new set and the company (don't remember which one) sent me a new set to replace it.
I'll have to remember; hair dryer! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I too noticed a lot of stamps are giving me a harder time being removed from the sheets. I struggle with dies too - wish I knew what double sided tape those companies use... it's like CEMENT. LOL.

Thanks for this thread... At least I know it isn't just me and my age creeping up on me..

Last edited by mac4551; 07-16-2019 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Ditto on the tape on thin dies. I have even bent dies getting the off the packaging!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Diana, Lemurlover, I am so happy you posted about this! It is so funny how we will come across something at just the perfect time. I got the most beautiful Nativity stamp set from Ldumont (Louise) on the PIF thread a while back, and I was trying to get the stamps off of the cling sheet, and a few wanted to stick badly (I have had lots of mine to do that also), and the hair dryer hint was just the ticket to get them loose. I am taking some of the sets I have and running the sheet with the stamp pics through the laminater, and using a laminated sheet for the backing also and putting them into storage pockets. The laminated sheets do not stick terribly like the cling sheets do.
The tips on here helped me so much, so I am so thankful to you for posting about it, and to the others who posted the solutions! You all have helped me so many times with issues like this! Was so grateful that none of the pretty stamps got damaged when trying to remove them! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Be sure you make a copy of your index sheet before using a hair dryer to get your stamp(s) loose. Otherwise you will likely be having to diy a new one as it can warp or melt the acetate/plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I was fortunate. It did not take too long to heat them and get them to remove from the sheet. I was very careful, pulled a small section at a time and didnt hold it in the same spot too long.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Be sure you make a copy of your index sheet before using a hair dryer to get your stamp(s) loose. Otherwise you will likely be having to diy a new one as it can warp or melt the acetate/plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 05:30 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh good, I hope others do as you described too.
Reply With Quote Likes