Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does it bother you that....?

Does it bother you that the music on some Youtube videos is too loud or just plain awful?

Does it bother you that Youtube presenters do a live video and do more "Hi, Maisey... Hello, Dan... I see you Alicia" than the actual crafting stuff?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes, and usually I will just move on to another video/channel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes both Really Bug me. Over enthusiastic presenters really bug me too!! You can’t possibly be THAT elated over your technique. Also I’m watching to learn about something you know how to do. Please don’t share overly personal details about your Mother’s friend’s Gallbladder or your Gallbladder for that matter. I really don’t need to know!!
What I DO love are clear and concise videos about something I’m interested in learning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
Does it bother you that the music on some Youtube videos is too loud or just plain awful?

Does it bother you that Youtube presenters do a live video and do more "Hi, Maisey... Hello, Dan... I see you Alicia" than the actual crafting stuff?

Yes! I don’t understand why music is played while instructions are being given. Music isn’t playing in the background at a lecture. I’ve contacted a few bloggers and companies that have wonderful work and videos except for that, asking if they’d consider fading out the music as the speaking begins, and bringing it back at the end. Or not including it if that’s too time consuming.

Even when the music isn’t loud it’s distracting and I lose track of what the speaker is saying. Though that’s my dumb brain, it does mean I generally give up and move on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I really appreciate you tubers who share techniques and cards I might not see otherwise, generally, I haven't come across any loud videos or ones with music, although some are a bit hard to hear. I don't watch any live videos because you never know how long they will be, and I really dislike the "hello Barbara and good to see you here janes" as you mentioned. I can skip through those by watching the replays. I am much less frustrated with videos by only watching replays, although you can't ask questions in real time then. But I guess I could always send a question to the video maker...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Does not bother me. I am usually eating while watching...sometimes I have the tv on..not enough hours in the day.

As long as it isnt Rap I dont care. In fact I have heard some nice instrumentals.

I dont watch live enough to care about shout outs. I find them choppy no matter what if they are fielding questions.

It is just a matter of my mood. Some days I can sit through gushing/rambling and sometimes I cant.

I can always turn it down but I cant turn it up enough if someone is way too low-That annoys me. When I cant hear.

Or being reeealllly slow. I either give up or move the bar along. People cant help it-some people just talk like the Sloths on Zootopia. In a co*inky*dink-the first sloth is stamping. Notice the mug? I love the little details they do now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Once the music starts on a video I fast forward it and after watching my first "live" video I never wanted to watch another!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In most instances I would rather watch a speed up video of how to do something than have to sit through a video that is way too long and/or has a way too chatty demonstrator. I'm there to learn how to do something not for the music or the chatter. If the music is too loud then I can turn down the volume on my end or mute it altogether if I don't like the music.

I do not need to watch someone cut out everything or watch them sitting there going hmmm...well while deciding what to do next. IMO that is way more annoying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I really dislike all the chit-chat about whatever before they begin showing you what they plan to show you, all the while patting the stamp set or dies that they are going to feature. I've gotten to the point that I hover over the progress bar and jump to where they actually start working. That's when I turn on the sound too. Sometimes it's half-way into the video.

As for music...I don't mind that people put music on when they are doing their speeded-up coloring. They would not be talking in that part anyway. I haven't experienced any where talking is done over music. That would be a bit much.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 06:08 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

well, I am deaf... and a lot of the time if I look at a video ( depending on whose it is, I really don't watch too many of them) I am sometimes peeking at them while I wait for my hair to be dry enough to dry with a hairdryer. ( its really long) so, I tend to just put on the closed captioning and read them so I do not notice the music and I have never read chatty little hey there good night johnboy type comments.

maybe its the video maker?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I started to watch one video and when the lady started saying "hi" to different people and/or asking them questions I terminated the experience. I just don't have the patience to sit through it and there is usually more than a few tutorials out there to look at. Unless the people here really endorse a certain one I'll move on if they annoy me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Comments about videos

Even if I only have the video on while I'm doing something else ,when those shout-outs and" hi's to those tuning in" begin, I'm done; I find it very annoying. Also annoying: prolonged and unrelated chit-chat. Don't get me wrong- I love to talk as much as the next person...maybe a little more even. But usually I will only watch videos when I am in search of a particular craft item or technique. I am so glad stampers do make videos, though- love being able to rewatch to refresh my mind on a technique!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

My craft room has my computer and a TV. I usually have the TV on and watch video demo's online with Closed Captions.
I REALLY hate it when they are supposed to be showing new products and just talk to each other about it on the screen. I didn't tune in for a Chat. I want to see the new products.
Also I just don't understand when you see their hands on the work table and they are doing nothing but talk. I had one on and it was TWO MINUTES of a 5 minute demo before she started working.
FAST FORWARD!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #14  

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

Keep in mind that during live videos the "demonstrator" is trying to connect with their followers. I like it when they acknowledge at least some people as they pop on to watch the video. HOWEVER, it annoys me when it takes 5 minutes (or more) to actually get to the point of the video. I also don't mind a bit of idle chatter but keep it short, maybe a minute at the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I confess that I have turned the sound off or down. And I have fast forwarded a lot of the videos. I can adjust and go to plan B.

What other things bother you?

The packaging that is hard to get into?

Spellbinders envelope packaging that does not shoe you the dies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Related to what others have posted, not showing the product or demo-ing the technique for a long time. A video someone posted on a current thread shows nothing for more than five minutes.

This thread came to mind while watching a new Kristina Werner video (on her own and SSS’s blog). She has the music and timing down perfectly. If there’s a lot of repetition in what she’s doing, she stops talking, turns on the music and speeds up the video. When she speaks, zero music. Many who make videos don’t have the time or experience to go through advanced editing, and I truly appreciate what anyone teaches - at no cost to us!

But turning off music when speaking is easy (?) and won’t bother anyone. Keeping it on bothers some of us easily-distracted humans who may leave. And speaking of leaving, giving a thumbs up and leaving even a one-word comment helps youtubers stay visible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Oh - another one on blogs/videos: not mentioning the Neenah CS being used is from the *Classic Crest* line, not Exact Index. How many crafters buy Exact Index at big box stores, thinking that’s the CS so many like, only to be disappointed. I even had a visiting instructor at an LSS say she didn’t like Neenah. She was using Exact Index. She never spent much time on line and just never knew.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to read, rather than watch, tutorials. I'm a fast reader, and find too many video tutorials aren't tightly edited and take far longer to get through than necessary. I stick to a few favorites, like Jennifer McGuire, who take the time to produce a polished tutorial.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm with you, Sue. Some don't like Jennifer's long videos, but I love that she shows many ways to work with what she is teaching...and like you said, they are polished. I think filming and cutting and then doing voice-over is the key for some.

Then I also like Debby's (limedoodle) videos. Short, focused on one project, beautiful, and helpful. I love to watch watercoloring!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I too am with Sue, I prefer to read a tutorial. So even when I link a video for the TLC, I try to make sure that I also give adequate written instructions for any other oddballs like me. My attention span for videos is not much more than five minutes, generally. The Unity DT do great ones. But generally I only watch when I'm sick in bed. When I'm at my desk I'd rather be creating. I haven't come across, but wouldn't like, simultaneous music and speech. I quite like videos that have captions and music, no speech.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

There is one You-tuber that plays music, Mimi with Penny Black stamps. I assume she's French. The music she selects is so - I don't know how to describe it, inspiring? All piano music, and free for downloading, which I did.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

She's Canadian, actually, but French speaking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
She's Canadian, actually, but French speaking.

Thank you. I enjoy watching her so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I totally agree about the music and chatting, although I know that some people seem to enjoy it. Another thing that irritates me is disorganization—“now where did I put that?” Also, including cutting every piece of paper, and diecutting, stamping, or coloring every last thing seems like a waste of time. I really appreciate the well edited videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

To clarify, I like music - just not at the same time someone is instructing. My brain tends to go to music before words, so I have to keep rewinding. Videos that solely have music are fine, or it can be turned off.

There seems to be a push toward music playing during speaking - in advertising, sports commentary, etc. Like we won’t pay attention to content unless we’re sufficiently entertained, like little kids.

I watch lots of videos, and when some illusive video that explains an approach is finally found, that’s often the one where the person talks as music plays behind her throughout.

Although I read a lot, written craft instructions are tough for me. I’m more monkey see monkey do - and it’s as if I’m working along with the demonstrator, so when i do it myself it’s almost like I’ve already done it. Kinesthetic.
Reply With Quote Likes