Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2019, 04:40 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New Alcohol Inks, Plastic Paper, Dura-Lar

For alcohol ink addicts (me), a new line of alcohol inks is out, plus a new Grafix plastic paper that’s similar to Yupo but maybe a little less expensive.

Regular Duralar by Grafix can also be used for alcohol inks. I never thought of that but happen to have a bunch used to replace acrylic sheets stamps were stored on. It’s clear but working over white paper would allow colors to show up.

Brea Reese Alcohol Ink - Joggles.com

Grafix - Joggles.com

Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Brea Reese art/craft products are available many places including at Target: I saw them in store, here's online list: Brea Reese : Target

Amazon, too: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Brea+Rees...f=nb_sb_noss_2

I've been following on YT for a while:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Would they be used like any alcohol inks? My impression was they could be inserted into our stash with the other brands?

I like Joggles because it’s a small, family owned business, prices are good, shipping fast and cheap, and super customer service. They have lots of sales. Oh, and excellent videos on the blog how to use products. While many are more mixed media oriented, techniques are techniques.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-09-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I would think they can be used with other alcohol inks.

I love Joggles - I take advantage of the 50% shipping ($50 order) every few weeks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hobby Lobby carries them as well as their liquid water color, pouring acrylics and accessories
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Dura-Lar project by Julie: Balzer Designs: Inspired By: Dura-Lar Luminaries
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

More about Grafix Opaque White Plastic and alcohol inks from Joggles email:

“1. The Inks do not stain Opaque White Plastic. As in not at all, nada. I tested lots of colors that are notorious for leaving a blob shaped mark when dropped on the surface and they all were removed with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol.
2. Opaque White Plastic is very heat resistant. When you consider the number of techniques that use a heat tool or hair dryer to move the inks around, you immediately realize what a big deal this is.

I mentioned that Opaque White Plastic is less expensive than Yupo. In the video you'll hear me talk specifics and I'll mention them here because the difference is so significant.”

Grafix is half the cost of Yupo, and there’s a 30% discount on Tim’s alcohol inks today through Friday 11:59 p.m.

One difference I don’t love is that the ring that blooms with some colors - like a pink ring on some blues - is absent with the Grafix, though the colors break apart when you work the ink. So the times wanting those rings I’ll stick with Yupo.

Link to video in blog:
Exploring Grafix's New Opaque White Plastic & Alcohol Inks - Joggles Blog

Last edited by bjeans; 06-19-2019 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

My Brea Reese alcohol inks should be arriving tomorrow. The colors are gorgeous, and I plan to use them with my Ranger alcohol inks. There shouldn't be any problems. I've combined Pinata inks with Ranger in the past with no issues at all.

Has anyone used alcohol inks on photo paper? I'm going to try it this week, but I wanted to know what to expect. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I haven’t. One thing learned from using Distress Oxides on photo paper - not all photo paper is created equally, even if sheen is the same. One technique a few of us tried worked well on some brands but not at all on others. So if you have more than one type, maybe try on both. And hope you’ll report back.

I wonder if the alcohol ink will chemically react and/or dissolve the coating of the photo paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Here'a a video (non-Joggles) using Grafix:
I recently saw that Marabu has alcohol inks: Alcohol Ink - Marabu Creative I wonder if Joggles will carry them. Barb has carried/demoed many Marabu products.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2019, 03:39 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I haven’t. One thing learned from using Distress Oxides on photo paper - not all photo paper is created equally, even if sheen is the same. One technique a few of us tried worked well on some brands but not at all on others. So if you have more than one type, maybe try on both. And hope you’ll report back.

I wonder if the alcohol ink will chemically react and/or dissolve the coating of the photo paper.
I have HP, Canon, and some generic brands that I think my MIL got at the dollar store. I'll try each one and report the results, hopefully today or tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2019, 03:40 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Vic, thanks for sharing that video. Off to watch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2019, 05:19 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

OK, so I tried the photo paper. Here's a link to my blog for all my results and descriptions of what I used: My Crafty Life: Alcohol Ink Backgrounds. Here's a photo of my results:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joggles is the whole package when it comes to art supplies. But their how-to videos by Barb and specially organized/managed online content by Simon ranks them right at the top. This is a small business well worth supporting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Here'a a video (non-Joggles) using Grafix:

I recently saw that Marabu has alcohol inks: Alcohol Ink - Marabu Creative I wonder if Joggles will carry them. Barb has carried/demoed many Marabu products.

Available August this year - and did you see that rainbow one???? Oh MY!! Dang, new stuff that must come I'm sure!!!! You guys are really bad for my wallet!!! Already looking for Grafix Opaque White!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
Available August this year - and did you see that rainbow one???? Oh MY!! Dang, new stuff that must come I'm sure!!!! You guys are really bad for my wallet!!! Already looking for Grafix Opaque White!
Besides Joggles: Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic 12" x 12" - Pack Of 25 [K10OWCP1212-25] - Joggles.com

Available at Marco's: Grafix - Marco's Paper

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

It’s available now from Barbara at Joggles - see links in post #1 and some others give thumbs up to Joggles too. Barbara demos it too, and shows the slight difference in blooming compared to Grafix. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

It’s available now from Barbara at Joggles - see links in post #1 and some others give thumbs up to Joggles too. Barbara demos it too, and shows the slight difference in blooming compared to Grafix. Enjoy!

That's Brea Reese - is that the same as the Marabu? I couldn't find a maker on it...and I couldn't find the rainbow or the metallics there. Thanks! Those look good too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

That's Brea Reese - is that the same as the Marabu? I couldn't find a maker on it...and I couldn't find the rainbow or the metallics there. Thanks! Those look good too!

I was just responding to your saying you were going to look for the Grafix, sorry. Joggles carries metallic alcohol inks - by Jacquard Piñata. I just bought some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I was just responding to your saying you were going to look for the Grafix, sorry. Joggles carries metallic alcohol inks - by Jacquard Piñata. I just bought some.

Ahhh, I think I'm caught up to the discussion now - been kind of a week here!! My mom (from another family but we adopted each other) just entered hospice and I also have 2 adult special needs children who always need something or other...so sometimes I don't always get conversations right. Sorry about that!

I love the Pinata inks - they are luscious! And yes, I saw the Grafix - am really looking forward to playing on that - have it bookmarked! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 06:11 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Ahhh, I think I'm caught up to the discussion now - been kind of a week here!! My mom (from another family but we adopted each other) just entered hospice and I also have 2 adult special needs children who always need something or other...so sometimes I don't always get conversations right. Sorry about that!

I love the Pinata inks - they are luscious! And yes, I saw the Grafix - am really looking forward to playing on that - have it bookmarked! Thanks!

Joni, with everything going on on your life, knowing up from down is a triumph. I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. (And what a wonderful gift and connection to find and adopt each other.) I hope you can carve out at least a little time for yourself to get [alcohol] inky or get a bit of rest.

The metallic alcohol inks from Jacquard (Piñata) are terrific. I still like smooshing foil into barely damp alcohol ink to get random bits too. And comparing to Marabou will be fun. Since Joggles carries many Marabu products, maybe she’ll include that line. I just emailed to ask. Or maybe someone already has?

Last edited by bjeans; 07-04-2019 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Update (already!) from Barbara:

Yes! Yes, I’ll have the entire line including the metallic and rainbow colors. That Rainbow… it so fantastic I’m not sure there are enough superlatives to describe it.

If you want to share this with your forum friends, I’m happy to let you know that not only will we have them, they’re going to debut at 50% off. And, there will be a freebie promotion tied directly to the inks. I’m not saying what, other than a surface the inks can be used on.<o:p></o

It looks as though they’ll be here at the end of next week, but don’t hold me to that as I’m not positive exactly when they’ll ship from Marabu’s South Caroline warehouse.

If you want to check back with me on Wednesday I should know more.<o:p></o

Far be it for me to disappoint you, but I’m completely incapable of not replying to emails. It’s just ingrained it me to answer as soon as I’m able. :+) Happy 4<sup>th</sup> to you too!

Barb“

(The last paragraph was responding to my saying I’d disappointed in her if she responded before Monday, since she deserved the holiday weekend off. )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Update (already!) from Barbara:

Yes! Yes, I’ll have the entire line including the metallic and rainbow colors. That Rainbow… it so fantastic I’m not sure there are enough superlatives to describe it.

If you want to share this with your forum friends, I’m happy to let you know that not only will we have them, they’re going to debut at 50% off. And, there will be a freebie promotion tied directly to the inks. I’m not saying what, other than a surface the inks can be used on.<o:p></o

It looks as though they’ll be here at the end of next week, but don’t hold me to that as I’m not positive exactly when they’ll ship from Marabu’s South Caroline warehouse.

If you want to check back with me on Wednesday I should know more.<o:p></o

Far be it for me to disappoint you, but I’m completely incapable of not replying to emails. It’s just ingrained it me to answer as soon as I’m able. :+) Happy 4<sup>th</sup> to you too!

Barb“

(The last paragraph was responding to my saying I’d disappointed in her if she responded before Monday, since she deserved the holiday weekend off. )

OoooOooooOooo. Now I can't wait!!! Good to know my instincts about that Rainbow were right...will watch for the announcement. Thanks for checking in this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

....told you Barb is something special!.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 04:11 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

OoooOooooOooo. Now I can't wait!!! Good to know my instincts about that Rainbow were right...will watch for the announcement. Thanks for checking in this!
You don’t have to wait any longer!

The inks are on Joggles with a 50% discount. There’s a freebie and a video.

If someone has full set syndrome and buys the set, they get two Masterpiece Alcohol Ink Art Panels (4x4).
Marabu Alcohol Inks - Complete Set of 28 - Joggles.com

Here’s the set plus the open stock colors:
Marabu Alcohol Inks - Joggles.com

And here are the panels, if curious - they come in different sizes/shapes.
Masterpiece Alcohol Ink Art Panels - Joggles.com

Last but not least, the video on Barb’s blog. While I rarely do traditional mixed media, her videos help me a lot with techniques and uses:
Introducing Marabu's NEW Alcohol Inks: You Save 50% On The Full Set! - Joggles Blog

Last edited by bjeans; 07-12-2019 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: Chrome weird spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

You don’t have to wait any longer!

The inks are on Joggles with a 50% discount. There’s a freebie and a video.

If someone has full set syndrome and buys the set, they get two Masterpiece Alcohol Ink Art Panels (4x4).
Marabu Alcohol Inks - Complete Set of 28 - Joggles.com

Here’s the set plus the open stock colors:
Marabu Alcohol Inks - Joggles.com

And here are the panels, if curious - they come in different sizes/shapes.
Masterpiece Alcohol Ink Art Panels - Joggles.com

Last but not least, the video on Barb’s blog. While I rarely do traditional mixed media, her videos help me a lot with techniques and uses:
Introducing Marabu's NEW Alcohol Inks: You Save 50% On The Full Set! - Joggles Blog

Has anyone told you lately that you are a gem? Cuz you are! Thank you, thank you! Off to check it all out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

My full set of Marabu AI arrived. !!!! Here's a video about them with gel printing: &feature=em-uploademail
I hope to get a chance to play in a few days.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Here's a Marabu swatch chart to download/print: https://www.marabucreative-usa.com/w..._printable.pdf

I found another video with some helpful hints:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

From Joggles’ newsletter:
I couldn't tell you the last time Jacquard expanded the Pinata Alcohol Ink line, though would guess it's been years. You'll imagine how excited I was when the delivery with the five new colors arrived a couple of days ago.”

Say hello to (left to right) Blue Violet, Coral, Golden Yellow, Pink, and Teal.”

Jacquard Pinata Color Alcohol Ink - Joggles.com

Marabu is still 50% off.

BTW, for storage different manufacturers are mixed together in Tim Holtz alcohol ink boxes: ROYGBIV - neutrals - metallics - mixatives. But the new Marabus are too tall. Messes up my quick grab rainbow scheme. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Roni Johnson did a "comparison" pot on her blog: http://inkstainswithroni.blogspot.co...Ink+Stains+%29
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Not about the new alcohol inks, but thought some of the alco-ink gang might enjoy this video of using a straw to make flowery petals. Knocked my inky socks off. I hadn't seen her work before but now am following her. And here’s her blog: http://www.inkyfairydesigns.com/2019...ique-save.html

Last edited by bjeans; 07-28-2019 at 05:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2019, 04:48 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Awesome video! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Just tried it... she makes it look easy! I got semi-okay results depending on how I blew through the straw (better for me than the squeeze thing) - short bursts of air versus longer. Issue was if wanting to add a petal, the new ink would push previously dried ink away. Practice!

I used the Grafix plastic paper and Yupo - still like Yupo best for how inks moved but Grafix was very good - and cheaper.

To "erase" some of my worst flowers, I applied dots of ink and alcohol with a fine tipped bottle onto a felt rectangle on an old Ranger blending tool and made stripes, and serendipitously found that pouncing made neat patterns on top of the stripes. No good photos though. It's not really lighter at the bottom.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-28-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

I just played with the Marabus for the first time. Impressions, which will be different for different people:

- They are easier to control than other alcohol inks, partly because a push pin is used to open them, so the opening is very small. But they also don't flow as much and there was virtually no blooming on Grafix or Yupo. That could be a pro or a con.

I only have a few colors and spent a few minutes messing around to make a test piece on a 5x6" (?) piece of Grafix, and was shocked at how much control I had.

- They stay wet longer.

- Foil stuck extremely easily. In fact, for the first time I wished that not so much had stuck!

- The odor is different than for other brands. I didn't like it, but a small fan blows across the desk, so I only caught occasional whiffs.

I'll get more since at $2.00 right now at Joggles.

Someone who wrote a comment (on a different site) said they make a huge mess and are leaky. It sounds like the opening was made too large. I bought pushpins (and will donate most) because that's what's on the bottle and recommended! LOL So not messy.

She also said they just sit there. I know what she means, but using air (straw for me, squeezy thing, compressor), they easily moved - just no blooming, at least not my colors. (Blooming for my other alcohol inks varies depending on color.)

ETA: It reminded me just a *little* of working with watercolors. And they’re fine with other alcohol inks - fooled around with them.

NOTE; this is not art, not anything except playing with AI movement. It could end up die cut into shapes or strips, but is not a card front!

Last edited by bjeans; 07-30-2019 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: because alcohol inks took away my brain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

I read the same article and had a far different experience. The leaky, messiest bottles to use are (still) my Ranger/Holtz brand. Initially, they didn't bother me at all...hey, they were alcohol inks, real live alcohol inks, and they were over-the-moon-fun to play with! Didn't much care about the Pinata inks getting crunchy detritus over the glossy paper at the most noticeable space: strained them, added more alcohol, and played on.

Bought all blue and green offerings by Marabu, tried them and fell in love. (Won't repeat "bjeans" comments since I agree with them.) I do wish they had more colors, Rangers' strong point, but will definitely fill in my stash with the rest of their rainbow at Joggles now, and whatever is available in future.

Just for the record, Marabu alcohol inks only come of the spout's hole you make and do not leak when horizontal if their white cap is closed tightly. Gotta' love 'em!

Last edited by crlfl; 07-28-2019 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: addl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

My Rangers’ don’t leak, but the holes are just too large, so very hard to control - though it depends somewhat on color, I’ve noticed. I’ve thought about pouring them into fine-tip bottles. What a job though. Like these, but I’d need more than 15:

https://www.amazon.com/Foraineam-Pre...crafts&sr=1-19

I’m not recommending them or know if that’s a good price; just grabbed them as a quick example.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2019, 06:23 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

[QUOTE=bjeans;21846210]My Rangers’ don’t leak, but the holes are just too large, so very hard to control - though it depends somewhat on color, I’ve noticed. I’ve thought about pouring them into fine-tip bottles. What a job though. Like these, but I’d need more than 15:

Amazon.com: Foraineam 24 Pack 30ml Precision Tip Applicator Bottle Quilling DIY Craft Needle Tip Squeeze Bottle Glue Bottle Applicator (White): Arts, Crafts & Sewing

I’m not recommending them or know if that’s a good price; just grabbed them as a quick example.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

I've thought about using super glue to adhere a dot of plastic (or packing tape) on the spout & then making a small hole in the plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Neat idea to try.

I swap Ranger Multi Matte Medium bottle tops with fine tip applicators like these:
https://www.dickblick.com/products/f...4aAmJrEALw_wcB

They’re way too expensive for so many alcohol inks but I wonder if another type that’s airtight might fit. Or if Marabu would sell empty bottles, haha.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

This article had some ideas and tips (not bottle tips, informational ones!) that I hadn’t thought of, and some beautiful AI art.

Artist Share Their Alcohol Ink Tips – Happily Ever Crafty

Last edited by bjeans; 07-29-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 06:18 AM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

I had emailed Barbara (Joggles) to ask a question about bottles for other alcohol inks and also my experience so far with Marabu. Her response, in part:

They're different than the others and a few folks are disappointed. My feeling is that it's good that they're different and let's figure out how and what we can do with those properties.
I'd love to hear about how you're using them. Any and all expertise is welcome as I try to celebrate those differences.”

I bought more because sometimes it’s nice to have a non- or less-blooming alcohol ink that sits still (or stiller) yet plays nice with other alcohol inks. People who don’t like that other alcohol inks can have a mind of their own, especially if the user doesn’t practice tons or use other methods/tools to control them more, may also like Marabu more. I think they have a bit of watercolor response in some ways. A calmer alcohol ink, haha. Just my take.

Barbara suggested the bottles I found on Amazon for other AIs could work fine; she probably will start carrying bottles but there’s no timeline.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-30-2019 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes