Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-29-2019, 03:09 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY Wink Of Stella

This may be old hat to someone else but I just saw this video and thought I would post it because it was new to me:

And here is another one:

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the links. The first video shows using a product that I happen to have in my stash, the Windsor Newton sparkle product, so it would be cost effective for me to DIY my own wink of Stella pens.
That being said, having to buy all of the products she used to make the DIY Stella would be more expensive than just buying a couple of pens. Considering that my 1st Wink of Stella is still going strong after several years of use, I think that buying the real thing is the most cost effective solution for most of us.

I do appreciate you doing the research on this and providing the video links. I intend to pull out the WN sparkle product and use it now! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 06:52 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

LOVE THIS! THANKS Agust29! I ALWAYS ENJOY seeing HOW we can make our own product! Now, I know what to look for in the stores! LOL ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also seen a yt video where you can pull the pen apart and put in a bit of isopropl alcohol to get the last bit of sparkle out of the pen I tried it, it works!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the long run, both these formulas would definitely save money over the WOS pen if you were only looking for irid. shimmer. But what I buy it for didn't show up in either of them and that's glitter. The newer superfine glitter in a clear suspension that dried quickly without bleeding out the subject's color hasn't crossed any of my info spots yet. Sure would be great if it did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize that when doing crafts we all have different needs and expectations concerning supplies and consumables. I am just an average card marker... I do not sell my cards, I just make them for the pleasure to make them.Then I pop them in the mailbox to send happy mail or a little bit of cheer to my friends and family.
I have used Wink Of Stella pens in the past and love them but they are expensive at 6.00 a pen (with a coupon at Michaels) and I usually make 15 duplicate cards at any one time. Then add in that I live in a tiny town and over 80 miles from any kind of craft store. So if I run out of supplies I either have to order them and pay shipping or do without.
The video I linked showed an alternative for anyone interested....will it work for everyone, No but it works for me.

I ordered a bottle of the Winsor and Newton Iridescent Medium from Amazon and it cost me 8.50 for a nice sized 2.5 Fluid Ounce bottle (not much more then 1 Wink Of Stella Pen). I put a few drops on a paper plate and spritzed it with a little water to dilute it. I had an empty Wink Of Stella pen and I dipped it in the concoction I made and tried it out. After it dried i couldn't tell the difference between the real Wink of Stella and the iridescent medium.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I seem to remember a video from the Frugal Crafter where she just added more water to extend the life of her Wink of Stella pen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if the iridescent watercolour ink by Hero Arts would also work. Many of us have that as it came in a recent kit. And maybe iridescent watercolour like Finetec too! Just mix it up with lots of water in the pan then pour it out and further dilute it. We used to add Perfect Pearls powder to mini mister bottles for a spray but I bet that works in a pen too. Maybe different looks but still shimmery goodness!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts

I think i saw a video where they added rubbing alcohol to extend the WOS when it was running out of liquid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Clog?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I wonder if the iridescent watercolour ink by Hero Arts would also work. Many of us have that as it came in a recent kit. And maybe iridescent watercolour like Finetec too! Just mix it up with lots of water in the pan then pour it out and further dilute it. We used to add Perfect Pearls powder to mini mister bottles for a spray but I bet that works in a pen too. Maybe different looks but still shimmery goodness!
I just saw a video of using bit of Perfect Pearls with lots of water in a Ranger spray bottle, and was thinking of the small amount I would use, Then I see your post about a mini mister. Since this was "we used to" can you tell me if it clogged? Were you able to save the liquid in the mister for a time? If you cleaned the mister after using with Pearls, did the pearly stuff wash out well?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2019, 02:13 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a bottle of the Iridescent medium, so I'll remember this. I bought it to add to acrylic paints, if I recall, to make them a bit like H2O's? It does work, so it's another use for it if you have some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2019, 04:42 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I still use Perfect Pearls in mini misters with water and a few drops of re-inker for colour. I've never had it clog. I've left the mix in the misters for extended periods of time with no issues (maybe a slight smell after prolonged neglect, but it passes, you don't get it from the sprayed card). I soak the misters in warm water and clean them with a mini bottle brush.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I just saw a video of using bit of Perfect Pearls with lots of water in a Ranger spray bottle, and was thinking of the small amount I would use, Then I see your post about a mini mister. Since this was "we used to" can you tell me if it clogged? Were you able to save the liquid in the mister for a time? If you cleaned the mister after using with Pearls, did the pearly stuff wash out well?
Reply With Quote Likes