Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts
Default 55 and above

I was just curious in learning how many of us here who frequent SCS pretty regularly are 55 or above. I am fully retired now and have more time to be here participating and I was wondering how many of you fall into that category with me. I would love to see your response. We could call ourselves "over the speed limit'!!LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I am over 55 as well. I prefer to think of myself as fine wine.......better with age. Hopefully that comes with the wisdom not to buy impulsively, not to rush out and buy every new stamp and trend. As. Result I do not have to post on the threads with regrets for buying something I never use......with one exception. I have learned to walk out of Mikes for example with that coupon still in my wallet, instead of at least picking up more ribbon, because I just had to use it.�� Yes I have a good supply of ribbon, which ironically I seldom remember to use on cards.
I go in get what I came for,and that includes my local card making stores as well.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Just hit 62 on the 2nd! Age is such an ambiguous idea to me. I know people much younger than me who are "old souls", and people older than me who will never, ever grow up! One of my friends says, "I'm not going to have my second childhood until I'm good and done with the first one!" (He's right, by the way...) It's more about your head and heart than what the calendar says, in my opinion.

I would love to be fully retired (or even semi-retired), but Life threw us a few curve balls that we are still recovering from, so it's a few years off. We're making great strides toward the goal, though!

Amen to being more discerning about purchases now! I rarely even go to any stores unless it's for something specific - like adhesive. I don't even really pay attention to releases or sales or whatever, as I pretty much have everything that was on my wish list! Now and then something new and wonderful comes along that I have a hard time resisting, but fewer and farther between. I suppose 20+ years of collecting does that...

Since you've brought the age thing to my attention, I should probably think about updating my profile photo - it's from 2007, for crying out loud!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, here the speed limit on the highway is 60 in places and 70 in others........I exceed both.......sometimes literally...! I told my children a long time ago that they will have to tell me when I'm old because age is just a number. I find that one of the best things about retirement is being able to do what I want when I want to do it. I have a lot of supplies and pretty much only go into Mike's or Hobby Lobby for paper etc. I think being able to buy pretty much whatever I want makes me not want much...........if that makes any sense. Like everyone else, it's fun to have a few new toys now and then but something really has to strike my fancy for me to indulge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

While preparing for my last move to a age-restricted mobilehome community I got rid of a lot of excess art supplies, stamps, inks, paper, fabric, etc. I don't have the storage space or creative space that I had in my former apt. The materials/supplies I kept has been condense down to what I actually use. Since the inventory is fresh in my mind I'm using what I have on hand FIRST as I prepare for the upcoming holiday bazaars.
Like Canada Goose, I've walked in and out of Michael's, Joanns and Hobby Lobby with coupons still in hand without making a purchase, and it's a good feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I'm turning 62 this year and Yes! Age is just a number - mentally, I am 38!
DH and I are still a few years from retirement. We love doing what we want, when we want and spoiling the grandchildren. We have downsized a lot and love the lighter feeling. I have plenty of crafting supplies and I detest shopping of any kind - food, clothes, crafts, etc. - NOT my idea of fun. If I run out of something and need it - then I'll get it; otherwise, I don't like going into stores to shop aimlessly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Me! But I'm immature. :rolleyes:

I think you'll find tons of us here.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

In addition the sale emails from online vendors and the announcements of new products just don't move me like before... I guess it comes with age and experience of "bought that and got rid of it".
I want to spend my time honing my skills on techniques I luv.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Wow, I am loving all the responses from you ladies! I have to say the most motivating I get about spending my craft budget (which is of course, now more limited) is finding any awesome deals I find at TM and HB. Newest and latest are not even high on the list of motivation. And like you Bohodiva, if I have something similar, it will do sufficently or it is something that I have already gotten rid of as well.

Sue, I am 67 and my picture is at least 12 years old (I have been on SCS for 14) so, I guess it is time for an update on pictures for me too. I really need to show off those new highlights Mother Nature as put in my hair!!!

Age is exactly how you have all described it. We just have different motivating factors that are determined by different seasons. When I worked every day I had more money, bought lots of crafting stuff, because I knew eventually "retirement" would come and I would have a lot more time to spend in my craft room. Now I spend a little more time reintroducing myself to these hidden away treasures. KWIM??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I went over 55 twenty-two years ago! I didn't start this wonderful hobby until after I retired and I'm so glad my cousin got me started.

As you might know already, most of my card-making supplies were/are bought/found at Good Will and other thrift stores in my area. I've been so lucky to find much more than I'll ever need in my lifetime. I have to stop myself from buying more now.

I shop with my cousin and we go to Joann every month or so, with our without coupons but I have to say that since the store we go to has added the security measures like those little round tabs on the displays that only an "associate" can open with a key, I rarely buy anything. It's such a hassle to find someone and when you finally do, asking for them to open the darned thing is like asking them for a really big favor! I know it's for the best but it sure tries my patience (which it seems as I get older, I have less of... )

Anyway, I like this topic, thanks for starting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be 66 in September and will be retiring at the end of that month. I am so ready to be done with that job! I've loved it (banking) for the last 28 years, but I'm more than ready to be a SAH again.

I regularly visit the forums and am doing the card ministry at my church (gets rid of my stash!) and I look forward to taking that to another level as the Lord leads.

Here's to over the speed limit! Let's start a new group!

Hugs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I will be 78 in October. I have stamped for about 22-23 years. I am a mentor mom (maybe mentor great grandmother) at MOPS, which I absolutely love. I tell my MOPS moms that I'm just not old enough for the senior citizen center so I hang out with the young women and enjoy myself. They laugh....I'm happy to amuse them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

69 and holding. Full time job at the same place for the last 18 years. Just became a Grammy for the 6th time in 8 years. DH had heart surgery 10 months ago and recovery has been slow and complicated, so stamping has been infrequent but a great stress reliever. My sister (older and super artistic, 1200 miles away) and I share bargains for card making. SCS has brought us hours of joy and inspiration, not to mention great tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 77 and I've been stamping almost 30 years. Husband and I are both retired for 15 years and keep busy with our hobbies. I also do counted cross stitch and charted needlepoint and make beaded jewelry; he's a model railroader and we share a craft room [was supposed to be a dinning room] with a small desk/hutch for him and a large one and the rest of the room for me since he has a 10 x 24 room for his model railroad.

I'm at the point now that I'm purging tons of stuff and bringing it to my bi-weekly Card Making Group. Some of my stamps go back to the 90's or earlier and I ordered a bunch of new stamps last year during Black Friday sales and I'm ready to get rid of stamps that I've used for years. Whatever my friends don't want will go to a local thrift shop.

I love making cards and make them for just about every holiday along with the birthday and anniversary cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Add me to the retired and over 55 club. Just over a year retired and loving that I get more stamp and scrapping time, although I gravitate more to stamping. I know I have enough supplies to last forever, but I'm still unable to resist some of the new products every season. Good news is that I know my style (finally) so I'm more particular and find I actually use the stuff I buy. I am slowly purging after reading all the great tips on these forums and realizing I have a lot of older stamps and other supplies that I've just really grown out of. Love SCS and all the great cards and stampers on here just blow me away. I appreciate all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm 65 and in Sept. on my BD I'm retiring. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 05:00 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I am 60 and have been an active stamper and scrapper for over 25 years. Now I have more time, a quieter life, an emptier house (which equals craft room!) and I make more cards than ever. Scrappin' is still behind, though.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 56, still working full time as a high school teacher. During the school year, I don't have much time to stamp, but do check in here every so often. Summer break is my time to rest and recharge my brain doing creative things. Since school got out June 14th, I have made over 100 cards! I've probably got about six more years to work, but when I retire, look out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

When I make cards, I feel like i'm 10 years old. Love the coloring, the gluing, the creating. Everything else in my mind goes somewhere else. I have been stamping for 21 years now and it still soothes my soul. And when I see my old lady self in a mirror like yesterday when shopping for baby granddaughter, I see my mom. I am 62 years old. I appreciate all of you when I come to visit splitcoast for the comments, the sharing of craft ideas, hints, and the goodness of others. I know Bugga would have chimed in on this thread and I miss her comments very much. I never post my cards; I'm lucky enough to finish one now and then to send on time. I work full time in the medical field, and help my three children, their spouses and soon to be six granddaughters. I need to organize my home especially my craft area but it is clean! Also my lovely parents are needing a little help now and then. Thank you for posting this thread. I thought all of you were age 30 or under!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 59 and have been with Stampin Up for 13 years. I don't know what I would do without a hobby. A person can only watch so much Fox News and baseball! Im now starting to be more particular about my buying. I have a stash of about 1800 cards, but I still keep making them. I figure my kids can sell them at my funeral to help offset the costs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No baseball today! Or probably tomorrow and many days next week. After no rain for a long time, an ark or two just floated by. We�re at 1.5� today so far and no sign of let up - 2-3 expected. And no fox news here - other than a red fox couple sit at the foot of our yard by the lake most mornings for a few minutes, or one meanders by on his way to/from their dens. ;)

Speaking of being surprised at all the 55+ers, I guess I wasn�t because most of the people who take classes at the three LSS�s I�ve visited (one since closed) have generally been in our age group. It�s made me wonder about the future of products for sale if younger people don�t step up to the plate (speaking of baseball).

Of course many of us here seem to have enough in our stashes to last us forever...

ETA: We got 5+ INCHES OF RAIN! :shock:

Last edited by bjeans; 07-22-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Raising hand...I am over 55 too by the calendar...my body is even older but my mind is much younger so everyday is a fight between the two LOL

One of the things I love about this is that it is something we can do for as LONG as we want to. We could be 100 and still going.....and I firmly believe doing it is GREAT for our brains!

I thought all of you were age 30 or under!
See what I mean? But then again, creativity knows no age right? ;) Here all ages are adventurous.

Also love how SCS embraces newbies no matter what the age so this will continue on for many more years!

I am *better* than I was before about buying but I still LOVE supplies...so I can be pulled in by that. ie I have a lot of embossing powders but I still just got the Hero Sand color people were talking about here the other day....

What is fabulous is that ****IF**** I can resist till I get here and can ask for advice...(I asked about pencil extenders once for example) I often can avoid pitfallls/get good stuff via the huge experience info "bank" in the members here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

67 here. However, not retired. If my dh says anything about "never having time to spend with him (he JUST retired), I'm going to retire for a week. He can spend time with the grandkids 3-4 days a week. And do laundry, and shop for groceries, and cook, and clean up after cooking, and clean house, and do errands...you know, all that stuff a grandma still has to do, no matter what.

I find that there's a lot of us in our age group. I was super excited when I found out that my friend's daughter, age 12, absolutely loved to make cards, had tons of supplies and tools, and was getting card-making stuff for her birthday!

Maybe we should ask how many people on SCS are under 35!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

I am loving this thread. I too have been stamping forever! I turned 70 this past May and I still love making cards and trying new techniques. I don't post often but check in here almost daily. Funny that I assumed most of you were much younger than I am. I can't see ever giving up this hobby, it really feeds my creative soul.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I'm 67 and running out of room for crafting. And SU keeps coming out with some great stamp and die bundles! Love this place. Everyone is so kind and generous with their comments and help, and lol-their enabling!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

61 here. Some days I feel older, but in my mind I'm still 35 and can still work circles around my kids! I usually pay for it with sleepless, painful nights but it doesn't stop me! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm 60 and have been stamping for 12 yrs. I am one who is not quite sold on the "age is just a number" philosophy . I'm still in great health. I'm very active, flexible, and get around without aches and pains. Still I feel age creeping up!

I'm still working and recently changed jobs. This one requires physical activity but I keep up as well as my younger co-workers. I am working fewer hours and I love it (32 hrs. A week).

I think I will be bored when retired so I'm sure I will have to have a little sideline job at least as long as I'm able!

Also, I used to be a shopaholic! I loved clothes shopping. That changed over the last two years. I never shop now! I have plenty of really nice clothes, shoes and purses.

I am 90% SU and I'm to the point of buying very little! I want to use what I have!

I don't buy home decor any more either!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-21-2018 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

71 in body, but 30 in mind. Been retired for over ten years, and lovin' it. I have got to get back into scraping though. I have so many pics to put into so many scrapbooks that I gathered over the years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like a kid in the backyard watching the neighbours have a party! Not quite 55, I have a couple years to go and then I can hop over the fence to join the party ...or I will sedately, as befits my ‘maturity’, open the gate and walk decorously through.

I bet there are a lot in the early 50’s club too, do we start another thread??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

I am 57 and on my second career. Retired from my government job after 25 years and work for a non-profit now. I love to craft and can't imagine ever giving it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I feel like a kid in the backyard watching the neighbours have a party! Not quite 55, I have a couple years to go and then I can hop over the fence to join the party ...or I will sedately, as befits my �maturity�, open the gate and walk decorously through.

I bet there are a lot in the early 50�s club too, do we start another thread??

Nah - party crashers welcome!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I feel like a kid in the backyard watching the neighbours have a party! Not quite 55, I have a couple years to go and then I can hop over the fence to join the party ...or I will sedately, as befits my �maturity�, open the gate and walk decorously through.

The more the merrier! As anyone can see if reading these post, creativity does seem ageless, keeps us young and our minds going!! So, please jump the fence whenever you like. I wish I could say I could jump a fence!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2018, 03:03 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is the "love" and "laugh" button for comments?! I think the mods need to add a few more. I am loving this group already! Count me in as a full time member!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2018, 03:46 AM   #34  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

ME TOO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'm way over the 55 limit! Will be 77 in August! However in my mind I am still in my 40's! Still love new toys! Order most of my supplies on line! Have loved reading others posts! Love this community! Keep on keeping on!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am going to be 60 on the next birthday! I love being in the stamp room again! It is so nice to create and let anything else just fall into the background.

I retired at 53. I spend my time stamping, playing with my three little dogs and taking care of hubby. We are cruising to Alaska in a couple weeks with 3 other couples we love. I am finding I would really rather be home stamping than going on cruises. We went to the Caribbean in February and I am just ready to stay home for a few months.

I love reading all the responses to this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

65 here, have been stamping about 10 years. I am purging lots of sets/paper/embellishments I don't use. I have given a lot of stuff to our 12 year old great niece who loves cardmaking and stamping. I am bored with the old and enjoying purchasing new sets and dies. Ooops, forgot to say, I am retired for about six years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

I'm also "over the speed limit". I started card making sort of by accident. After retiring 5 yrs ago my hubby & I started going to a rv park in South Texas for the winter. There was a group of crafters there that made cards. I enjoyed their company and started making cards with them. I didn't think I would continue this hobby when I came home to WI in the Spring. However, my step-daughter had a bunch of stamping & card making supplies she wanted to get rid of so guess who got them. But as others have mentioned, with age comes wisdom. I try to be very careful what I purchase. It isn't just a matter of economics but also of just having too much clutter. I am really trying to make an effort to clean out the clutter. I feel better every time I make some progress. My card making is just for personal use so I don't feel I need every nifty gadget out there. However, I did just purchase a set of Prismacolor colored pencils. LOVE THEM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
You know I love RED

Received 742 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm 74, so you'd better count me in!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

Quote:

This made me giggle! :p:p

That's me too - not quite 55 but getting close.

Twin Sis and I will be 53 in November :eek:

We both love to stamp and make cards. Twin likes to scrap so she handles DS's scrapbooks and it's great since she knows almost all of the people/events in DS's life, which means I don't have to do much journaling!

Twin and I straddle the "generational fence"......we both volunteer at a local hospital with many "older" volunteers plus Twin is the Volunteer Manager at a different local hospital and we work a lot with the junior volunteers (ages 14 to 1 so we hang out with both ends of the spectrum as far as ages go.

Love this thread and yes, Bugga would have chimed in. She is greatly missed.
Reply With Quote Likes