Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeti Falliday Fest sponge daubers

Has anyone else had this problem? I have a number of fingertip sponge daubers - some are new from a number of years ago.

I have decided to try them again for blending and I find they disintegrated after dipping them onto my ink pad. They left tiny pieces all over the pad? Have I been storing them improperly all these years? I place them "dauber up" lined in a box I made especially the size for my daubers.

I cleaned my pad with a paper towel to get all the tiny pieces off but my daubers cannot be used. I also have a large number of Pigment ink pads (Colorbox cats eye) and some of those pads have disintegrated also. I'm thinking it's not from "using them too much" but rather from "lack of use?"

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

The sponge daubers I use the most are disintegrating. The Frugal Crafter reviewed different blending tools recently and talked about having the same problem. She lists pros and cons of the different tools and there is a video of her techniques. One of her options is to glue make up sponges in bottle caps to create her own sponging tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

The foam deteriorates over time. I think that's why the Cat's Eye pads do the same thing. They are foam ink pads. I do find that the large daubers don't disintegrate like the small ones do. Maybe it's a different kind of foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
The sponge daubers I use the most are disintegrating. The Frugal Crafter reviewed different blending tools recently and talked about having the same problem. She lists pros and cons of the different tools and there is a video of her techniques. One of her options is to glue make up sponges in bottle caps to create her own sponging tools.
Thank you Covington Crafter! I have seen her video and yes, makeup sponges ARE more dense than the finger sponges. Thanks so much for letting me know that others have had that same problem. I'll have to look up the frugal crafter and take a look at her ideas! I appreciate your help with this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
The foam deteriorates over time. I think that's why the Cat's Eye pads do the same thing. They are foam ink pads. I do find that the large daubers don't disintegrate like the small ones do. Maybe it's a different kind of foam.

Thank you scrap Jenny for your views on this. I guess I expect things to last and last and last, but foam wouldn't do that anyway, right? I wanted my "cat's eyes" pads to last forever - that's why I bought re-inkers for everyone. lol OK....Linda....back to reality! lol At least I can use the reinkers to paint with or watercolor with. All is not lost. Thanks for your help with this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My stamping buddy had the same thing happen with hers and it surprised us both. Since then I bought a rather big sea sponge at JoAnn's using a coupon and snip pieces of it off and attach to an alligator clip on a paint brush handle (like a water color brush, detail brush, etc.) I've found I get better control and smoother blending with this than with the daubers. I can vary the size of the pieces I cut too. I've had the thing for several years and have maybe used up a quarter of it.........I just toss the pieces I've used in the trash but I probably could wash them and reuse if I wanted to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thanks for the great tip on the sea sponge. I've looked at them several times, but hadn't picked one up. I will now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
My stamping buddy had the same thing happen with hers and it surprised us both. Since then I bought a rather big sea sponge at JoAnn's using a coupon and snip pieces of it off and attach to an alligator clip on a paint brush handle (like a water color brush, detail brush, etc.) I've found I get better control and smoother blending with this than with the daubers. I can vary the size of the pieces I cut too. I've had the thing for several years and have maybe used up a quarter of it.........I just toss the pieces I've used in the trash but I probably could wash them and reuse if I wanted to.
Thank you, too Rockybeta! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. There is "safety in numbers." I bought so many things in the past so I could use them "when I retired" and have a fixed income, only to discover that some things will not last. And like you, it DOES surprise me. Thanks for your help with this one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 08:10 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This just happened to me also. After being away from my daubers I found that about six of them were disintegrating. Now I am wondering if the Japanese ones are any more durable than the Chinese ones. I had some of both but not sure which ones went south as they look alike. I am getting ready to buy more but the Japanese ones are about double the price on Amazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Another thing you ladies might find useful are the egg shaped sponges. There are lots of 'craft' versions out there, but I've found that ones bought from stores as make-up sponges are exactly the same, just way cheaper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Good to know about the egg ones. I’ll try the Japanese dollar store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

This may mean nothing but a crafty friend of mine has all Tsukeneko daubers, has had them for longer than I have had mine and is not seeing any spontaneous shredding. I do not use mine on stencils because I know that tears them up fast. I’m getting ready to do the Betsy Veldman method of using daubers on my stamps so I checked out my dauber box and bummer......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
This may mean nothing but a crafty friend of mine has all Tsukeneko daubers, has had them for longer than I have had mine and is not seeing any spontaneous shredding. I do not use mine on stencils because I know that tears them up fast. I’m getting ready to do the Betsy Veldman method of using daubers on my stamps so I checked out my dauber box and bummer......

Oh my...I didn't know stenciling with daubers will "tear them up some." That's exactly what I was planning to do with them. Bummer.....I suppose if they weren't disintegrating before using them on my stencils, they would have after trying them on my stencils? Also, what is the "egg sponges?" Thanks for your help Maryalena and everyone else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

My favorite tool for stencils is the makeup brushes. Watch the video in the Frugal Crafter link I posted below. She demos sponges and two different types of brushes. I bought make-up brushes on Amazon that are very similar to the Picket Fence brushes and paid $12. I love the way they work with stencils, good ink transfer and gentle on the stencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I second using the makeup brushes - I got the brushes and a rack for them on Amazon for under $20, and they appear to be identical to the Picket Fence brushes - same shape, selection, color, etc...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 12:29 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

These are the 'egg' sponges. The ones at the top, the sort of flesh coloured ones are 'craft sponges' often marketed as 'Craft Smoothies'
the ones below are make-uo application sponges. Because of the shape they are great for colour application where you maybe want to get into a small area, using the pointy end, or for larger areas & edges, you have the broader rounded end.

As you can see, there are often more variations in size available in make-up ones- the small ones are great if you want to add spot colour- and they are much cheaper then the 'craft' version usually. You should get them at any place that sells make -up.

And re the Make-up brushes, I bought one of the sets from Amazon, and yes they are fab. I did a blog post on them, and one lady left a comment that yes, they are the same as the PF ones, as she bought a set of the PF ones, and a few had 'foundation', 'eyeshadow' & 'Blusher' on the handles!

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 06-25-2019 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for posting "egg make up sponges." I can see how nice they would be to use the pointed end for smaller places. Thanks EVERYONE for all your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird52paView Post
Has anyone else had this problem? I have a number of fingertip sponge daubers - some are new from a number of years ago.

I have decided to try them again for blending and I find they disintegrated after dipping them onto my ink pad. They left tiny pieces all over the pad? Have I been storing them improperly all these years? I place them "dauber up" lined in a box I made especially the size for my daubers.

I cleaned my pad with a paper towel to get all the tiny pieces off but my daubers cannot be used. I also have a large number of Pigment ink pads (Colorbox cats eye) and some of those pads have disintegrated also. I'm thinking it's not from "using them too much" but rather from "lack of use?"

This has happened to me as well and I also think the foam just deteriorates over time (used or not). My pigment pads seem to have a definite lifespan, unlike my dye pads. The worst are metallic pigment inks. They start to appear "melted", and are completely unusable. If you used a rubber stamp with the metallic pigment inks, and didn't clean them thoroughly before storing, then the rubber will sometimes deteriorate as well. I lost several wood-mounted Anna Griffin stamps that way. All of my stamps and tools are stored out of the light, and in drawers, so I don't think it was a storage problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Forgot to say not to toss your old sponge daubers because you can dig out the old foam and replace with makeup sponges. You can buy the wedges, and shove them into the space where the old foam used to be. Tuck all the raw edges in until you have a rounded shape. I did that with my old ones and they work even better than before! Some daubers are hollow all the through (like little tubes), and you can put foam in each end.

Hope this makes sense to you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thank you scrap Jenny for your views on this. I guess I expect things to last and last and last, but foam wouldn't do that anyway, right? I wanted my "cat's eyes" pads to last forever - that's why I bought re-inkers for everyone. lol OK....Linda....back to reality! lol At least I can use the reinkers to paint with or watercolor with. All is not lost. Thanks for your help with this!

AWK! I share your pain. I too, bought things that I expected to last and last. I can't tell you how many bottles of acrylic paint, Tim Holtz crackle paints etc. that I bought and had dry out. Even the ones that I hadn't opened yet seem to have dried out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2019, 10:36 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

My favorite tool for stencils is the makeup brushes. Watch the video in the Frugal Crafter link I posted below. She demos sponges and two different types of brushes. I bought make-up brushes on Amazon that are very similar to the Picket Fence brushes and paid $12. I love the way they work with stencils, good ink transfer and gentle on the stencils.

I've been using my ink blenders on stencils but now I think I need to give the makeup brushes a try. The Picket Fence ones are too pricey for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I second using the makeup brushes - I got the brushes and a rack for them on Amazon for under $20, and they appear to be identical to the Picket Fence brushes - same shape, selection, color, etc...

How do the make up brushes differ from using basic stencil brushes that you use with acrylic paints? I have stencil brushes that I've never even used! Yes, just another example of a craft that I thought I would try one day..sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

I like the makeup brushes on stencils. They apply very evenly and not too dark depending on how much pressure you apply. You can keep reinking them to deepen your color. I use some of the little brushes from my set to get into corners of a stencil especially in areas that I want to shade in a darker color.

This foam disintegration discussion makes me wonder about the wisdom of buying reinkers for pigment pads. I have a lot of Fresh Ink pigment pads and reinkers. Wondering if the foam will deteriorate before I use up all my reinker. They get a lot less use than my dye pads.

I like the look of those egg sponges. The ones with the little tips would come in handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 02:31 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
This has happened to me as well and I also think the foam just deteriorates over time (used or not). My pigment pads seem to have a definite lifespan, unlike my dye pads. The worst are metallic pigment inks. They start to appear "melted", and are completely unusable. If you used a rubber stamp with the metallic pigment inks, and didn't clean them thoroughly before storing, then the rubber will sometimes deteriorate as well. I lost several wood-mounted Anna Griffin stamps that way. All of my stamps and tools are stored out of the light, and in drawers, so I don't think it was a storage problem.
Kazeka, it's not just you. Although all my pigment inkpads, almost all metallics, are absolutely fine, 10-15 years old- I too have noticed the damage on rubber stamps from not getting them completely clean, and I can also say I ruined a couple of the perspex sheets from the older Stamp Positioners this way too- the pigment ink seemed to burn into the surface.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 02:34 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Maryelan, I can only say I bought my Encore Metallic pads & reinkers when I started stamping, and that must be 15 years or more ago now, They all still work fine, the pads still look the same as when I bought them. And I don't re-ink very often either. Mine don't get a huge amount of use, I'm pretty sure that some may go a year or more between uses!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 02:40 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Forgot to say not to toss your old sponge daubers because you can dig out the old foam and replace with makeup sponges. You can buy the wedges, and shove them into the space where the old foam used to be. Tuck all the raw edges in until you have a rounded shape. I did that with my old ones and they work even better than before! Some daubers are hollow all the through (like little tubes), and you can put foam in each end.

Hope this makes sense to you?
What a wonderful idea Kazeka! I will remember that before pitching them out. I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

How do the make up brushes differ from using basic stencil brushes that you use with acrylic paints? I have stencil brushes that I've never even used! Yes, just another example of a craft that I thought I would try one day..sigh.

The makeup brushes have softer bristles than stencil brushes. I'm able to get more detail with them. Here's the Frugal Crafter video comparing the different brushes and the sponges. She has used the Judikins dusters for years and includes them. I think they're the closest to stencil brushes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

The makeup brushes have softer bristles than stencil brushes. I'm able to get more detail with them. Here's the Frugal Crafter video comparing the different brushes and the sponges. She has used the Judikins dusters for years and includes them. I think they're the closest to stencil brushes.

Thanks for the link..off to check it out I have only started using my stencils on a regular basis for the past several years (even though I've had them for a long time), so still experimenting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I've had a bunch of the daubers disintegrate also. Irritatingly enough, some were brand new, never used ones. Booger! I find myself using 2 kinds of wedge makeup sponges a lot now- the dense white foam ones and the yellow, more traditional sponge type ones. I'm using them mostly with the Cosmic Shimmer Opal Polishes. I am keeping the dead daubers to try and put new tops on them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2019, 01:04 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thank you so much! I have seen her various brushes/sponges and I do have a set of dusters coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2019, 01:07 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I've had a bunch of the daubers disintegrate also. Irritatingly enough, some were brand new, never used ones. Booger! I find myself using 2 kinds of wedge makeup sponges a lot now- the dense white foam ones and the yellow, more traditional sponge type ones. I'm using them mostly with the Cosmic Shimmer Opal Polishes. I am keeping the dead daubers to try and put new tops on them.
Thank you very much for your input too. I know how you feel as most of mine were also never used. I found myself purchasing things that I can use once I retire, but now I'm retired and using some of these items since I have more time and they are disintegrating despite being stored in boxes untouched for years. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 03:27 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was a great post. I thought it was only me because I didn't wash the tips after each use. I don't buy daubers anymore. But I WILL save the bodies to insert makeup pieces now. I, too, bought the $12 brushes from Amazon instead of Picket Fences. The only thing I don't like about them is the fragileness of the handle/head area. I have the egg shape makeup sponges and never use them for anything. Now I'll give those a try. I did like the daubers for doing the bokeh technique, however.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 03:34 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridapersonView Post
This was a great post. I thought it was only me because I didn't wash the tips after each use. I don't buy daubers anymore. But I WILL save the bodies to insert makeup pieces now. I, too, bought the $12 brushes from Amazon instead of Picket Fences. The only thing I don't like about them is the fragileness of the handle/head area. I have the egg shape makeup sponges and never use them for anything. Now I'll give those a try. I did like the daubers for doing the bokeh technique, however.

I agree, I thought the neck of the handle felt fragile, but I thought if I held the head part, which I've seen some You Tubers doing, they should be ok. Also, I think that may make me be more gentle with applying ink, so should be able to get lighter coverage. I can only hope, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I agree, I thought the neck of the handle felt fragile, but I thought if I held the head part, which I've seen some You Tubers doing, they should be ok. Also, I think that may make me be more gentle with applying ink, so should be able to get lighter coverage. I can only hope, lol.

Shaz I have noticed Kristina Werner always holds them by the head.

I am curious to see that vid...I am ready to let go of my dusters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Thought anyone buying these brushes, might be interested in this stand: LINK to Amazon.com Brushes not included.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I like the makeup brushes on stencils. They apply very evenly and not too dark depending on how much pressure you apply. You can keep reinking them to deepen your color. I use some of the little brushes from my set to get into corners of a stencil especially in areas that I want to shade in a darker color.

This foam disintegration discussion makes me wonder about the wisdom of buying reinkers for pigment pads. I have a lot of Fresh Ink pigment pads and reinkers. Wondering if the foam will deteriorate before I use up all my reinker. They get a lot less use than my dye pads.

I like the look of those egg sponges. The ones with the little tips would come in handy.
I know what you mean Maryalena - but don't forget you can still use your re-inkers without having an ink pad. I place a "dot" of the reinker onto an acrylic block - add a blob of water and just swirl my brush through the ink - you get so many various shades of ink and you can use your water brush or any brush to pick up color to add color to your stamped images. I don't think any reinkers are a waste of money because of this but someone may prove me wrong on that too. I did have a few plastic caps on the reinkers break so THAT would cause the ink to harden, I suppose. Unless you have a container to pour that ink into? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridapersonView Post
LOL - and I thought it was only ME - because of something I did or didn't do. I'm shocked that so many of us have the same problems with our supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Thank you very much for your input too. I know how you feel as most of mine were also never used. I found myself purchasing things that I can use once I retire, but now I'm retired and using some of these items since I have more time and they are disintegrating despite being stored in boxes untouched for years. lol

Me, too! I had stocked up on things on sale, and now that I'm retired, I'm finding stuff has aged beyond it's best use. For example- I have tape runner that doesn't reliably stick anymore (and it used to be wonderful!). The daubers disintegrate, etc. Thank God cardstock doesn't seem to age out (if you keep it out of the light). And, amazingly to me, the really old SU pads I bought used many years ago just last and last and last. I don't even have to reink hardly ever.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
Me, too! I had stocked up on things on sale, and now that I'm retired, I'm finding stuff has aged beyond it's best use. For example- I have tape runner that doesn't reliably stick anymore (and it used to be wonderful!). The daubers disintegrate, etc. Thank God cardstock doesn't seem to age out (if you keep it out of the light). And, amazingly to me, the really old SU pads I bought used many years ago just last and last and last. I don't even have to reink hardly ever.
Good to hear that even the un-inked daubers disintegrate with time. I was thinking the ink was speeding up the decay and not looking forward to cleaning them after every use .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
Thank you so much for the tip!! I have 2 of those clips and now I know what to do with them, because I just pulled out my daubers and found they were disintegrating, but only the ones with ink on them. I was wondering what else I could use to ink smaller areas. Brilliant idea!!
Reply With Quote Likes