Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Problems with bar magnets for Misti snapping together

After having trouble keeping the disc magnets from snapping together (and breaking), I bought two bar magnets instead. I got 2 inch ones, and they are strong. However, I still need to use both of them when I use thick cardstock, or watercolor paper...which means I've been having problems with them snapping together and I can't get them apart! I'll be moving them around on my cardstock, and suddenly one jumps on top of the other so I have them stuck together the long way. Ugh...! Try as I might, I'm unable to pull them apart by sliding etc. My husband can do it but I'm sure he'd rather spend his time with something other than pulling apart my bar magnets, ha! Any tips on how to prevent this? I wrapped them in washi take today in the hope they won't be quite as strong and more manageable. Am I the only one who keeps having this problem? Help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't have the bar magnets, but I do have 5 of the circle MISTI magnets.
I, too, had problems with them sticking together. As you have found out, wrapping them with washi tape has helped to pull them apart. Although, I have had them over an inch, or more, apart and somehow they attracted to each other!!! Happy Stampin'!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need to be strong if you want them to hold your paper in place while you're stamping. (And even then, I find that a really sticky clear stamp still pulls the paper up from the magnets.)

I wrapped my round magnets in washi, too. While they will still attract each other, the tabs make it much, much easier to separate them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

I have separated mine by butting them against the inside of the MISTI, then pushing the top one onto the ruler section. Use both of your thumbs, and push far enough so they won't snap back and pinch you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the bar type magnets. They are so strong that they snapped together and one broke!! YIKES!! I covered them with washi tape ...they are still good strong magnets but separate easier by sliding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 06:55 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I just use one of the bar magnets. If a clear stamp pulls up your cardstock, just reposition in the corner and use one bar magnet while stamping. The intention of the magnets is to secure your paper while stamping, not preventing sticky stamps from lifting - that's the beauty of the corner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Like others mentioned, washi. I wrap two pieces layered (so it’s double the thickness) just around the middle of the bar magnets with extra to make a handle.

I trained myself to keep the magnet in opposite corners, like boxers in a boxing match. (Tim Holtz reference!) But if you’re using a small stamp positioner that can be a little tougher.

But as Lydia pointed out, as long as you have your CS in a corner - or use Creative Corners or chipboard or a 6” ruler, etc., to give the CS something to butt up against, it doesn’t matter if the paper pulls up. Just plop it back down.

Little video on doing the same with the round ones from AmyR (Prairie Paper & Ink):
https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Oh - here’s a Jennifer McGuire video showing how she wraps the bar magnets. Can fast forward 45 seconds. Exactly what I do with the double layer, and use it with my Tim positioner and Misti.

MISTI Tips + Giveaway! - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 735 Likes on 357 Posts

I recently had a bar mag crack in half when they snapped together. I was just glad I did not get pinched in the process. That would have been a blood blister for sure. (do we still call them that?) It startled me because as you mentioned they can really jump a good distance! But where's the fun without a little danger right? ;)

You made me smile. I used to ask my DH to separate them too.

Washi tape here too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 06:01 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When you wrap with washi, make sure you leave a tail. That gives you something to grab hold of when trying to slide them apart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 06:13 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Use the edge of a counter or table to separate bar magnets

When my bar magnets stick together, even with Washi tape on them, this is what I do. I line up the magnets (long side) on the edge of my counter (or table), so that 1 magnet is resting on the counter and the other one is off. Then I push down on the outer magnet until they are separated enough and I can pull them apart. It takes me less than a minute to separate the magnets with no broken finger nails or “ouchies”.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or… You can forget magnets and use a sticky mat to hold down your card stock! I just got my mats and I'm going to follow the directions from Hedgehog Hollow in this video:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I love sticky mats for holding many dies in place and most of all when stenciling if you don’t want tape across your paper. They hold the paper down on the work surface. Then hinge just the stencil at the top with tape (I use yellow Frog Tape - less expensive than Purple tape). So you can lift up the stencil to see how it’s going without the stencil or paper moving.

If you think about it, we often don’t even need magnets all the time in a stamp positioner if the CS is in snug in a corner. Sometimes I forget about adding the magnet (one bar) and it’s fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I just use one of the bar magnets. If a clear stamp pulls up your cardstock, just reposition in the corner and use one bar magnet while stamping. The intention of the magnets is to secure your paper while stamping, not preventing sticky stamps from lifting - that's the beauty of the corner.

I wrapped mine with washi and am trying to only use one at a time. So far it's working well, but takes a little trial and error to find the spot on the cardstock that keeps the paper in place without shifting. I think the washi dampens the strength just enough to prevent them from jumping at each other, but not enough to weaken the hold. Whew!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I love sticky mats for holding many dies in place and most of all when stenciling if you don’t want tape across your paper. They hold the paper down on the work surface. Then hinge just the stencil at the top with tape (I use yellow Frog Tape - less expensive than Purple tape). So you can lift up the stencil to see how it’s going without the stencil or paper moving.

If you think about it, we often don’t even need magnets all the time in a stamp positioner if the CS is in snug in a corner. Sometimes I forget about adding the magnet (one bar) and it’s fine.

Ugh, I always need the magnet because I often have to stamp over more than once to get a good image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the sticky grids that are sold by Sizzix and TH if I really don’t want to position magnets and card stock over and over. These sticky grids stick on both sides so no lifting. I also use them when I am stamping on die cut pieces and when my design is so big there’s no room for the magnets. I keep one of my stamp positioners permanently set up with a sticky grid. For a lot of my stamping though I just expect to reposition into the corner after each stamping. I use one bar magnet and sometimes add a round one. Two bar magnets is just too scary for me.

I noticed that Betsy Veldman from the Greetery in one of her flower coloring videos uses a cut down silhouette type stick on one side mat to stamp all her die cuts. It is cut to the perfect non shifting size to fit within the bumpers of her Misti and no magnets in sight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use blue painter's tape. Don't want to waste my Washi tape. Left a tab on each one, and they slide apart easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts

I had this happen the other night. I am usually careful with them, but i was tired and not paying attention.. Fortunately it didn't hurt my finger, just snapped together at the outside of my finger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhototakerView Post
I just use blue painter's tape. Don't want to waste my Washi tape. Left a tab on each one, and they slide apart easily.

I only use the washi tape that I don't care for. I've got a couple of rolls that are really blah. They came in a set and are so faintly colored that they don't show up on anything. Perfect for using to anchor dies to card stock when I cut, or wrapping magnets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
I had this happen the other night. I am usually careful with them, but i was tired and not paying attention.. Fortunately it didn't hurt my finger, just snapped together at the outside of my finger.

I've had the disc magnets snap my finger, but those bar magnets are so strong that I'm freaked out about the thought of getting my finger caught between those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post
When my bar magnets stick together, even with Washi tape on them, this is what I do. I line up the magnets (long side) on the edge of my counter (or table), so that 1 magnet is resting on the counter and the other one is off. Then I push down on the outer magnet until they are separated enough and I can pull them apart. It takes me less than a minute to separate the magnets with no broken finger nails or “ouchies”.

Oh, I never even thought to do this...great tip! I'll have to remember to try it. I've been shoving one against the corner edge of my Misti, and trying to slide one past the other but they're too strong. Using downward force and the table edge is genius!
Reply With Quote Likes