Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Making Card Sets

I make cards and I want to make Card sets for family for Christmas this year. I'm not quite sure which type/categories I should make. I welcome your ideas.
Thanks a bunch!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Julie,

I include a variety of cards. Card styles are dependent on the personality of the person receiving the set. I've got some friends who love silly and snarky cards to send. Others prefer more traditional cards.

The stage of life of the person receiving the set determines the types of cards. Younger recipients may have friends getting married and having babies. Older recipients have requested sympathy cards.
Birthday cards
Thinking of You
Encouragement/Sympathy
One trick is to leave off any outside greeting and include a variety of stamped banners or die cut greetings they can add. Similarly for the inside, you can leave the it blank for them to write or include a variety of stamped liners with removable tape strips.

I like to give the card sets in pretty packaging. Here are a couple I've made, WT715 Stationery Box for a Friend, DTGD16ashjoy Pretty Bird. Check out the tutorials for some pretty card packaging options.

Your family will love the thoughtfulness and creativity of the card sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you Carla! I love that little box! You did such a nice job! I will definitely work on that for my cards. I was hoping for a larger list. That's a good start though!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Looking for more? I can do that ;)

I’ve given a set of monogrammed thank you cards, FF16Jacqueline Monogrammed Thank You by Covington Crafter at Splitcoaststampers.

All occasion cards with a greeting of Hello, Thinking of You or Miss You work well.
Get Well cards
Wedding and Anniversary cards
Baby cards

The last batch I gave included graduation cards since I knew her daughter was graduating.

If you’re giving to a mother of school age children, children’s birthday cards are appreciated. You could also make small cards, ATC size, for her to add to her child’s lunch.

Possibilities are endless!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 03:48 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

New Home cards, Passed( exams/driving test), some with inspirational/encouraging words on the front, for when a Get Well card isn't quite right. I did these for that reason recently. Maybe it's going to be a long road to recovery, or maybe it will be a lifelong illness/disability.

Retirement, New Job, and I definitely agree with Carla, that some 'blank' cards are so useful. Scenics can be great for this, as they can be used for any purpose.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 06-18-2019 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Shaz, you create such beautiful scenes. Love the negative die cut frames.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post

One trick is to leave off any outside greeting and include a variety of stamped banners or die cut greetings they can add. Similarly for the inside, you can leave the it blank for them to write or include a variety of stamped liners with removable tape strips.

I like to give the card sets in pretty packaging. Here are a couple I've made, WT715 Stationery Box for a Friend, DTGD16ashjoy Pretty Bird. Check out the tutorials for some pretty card packaging options.
Love these tricks, Carla! Cute boxes, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stampin' Fool

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

I make some for the ladies at work and they just about always request I make monogram cards. In April & May I made 7 sets of monogram for them to give as gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you ladies! Will be working on those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 04:53 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I make card sets all the time for gifts. Those receiving them really like having nice cards to send out. I normally make "blank inside" cards but always have a Bible verse somewhere on the card. I make them in sets of 4-6 cards. I tailor the front of the card to the person. One person loved horses so hers were with horses and she loved having some cards like that. Another loves turtles so I included that. Our former pastor likes biking and I use a high wheel bike on his. I will try to add some pictures here with examples.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Carla, I have to 'fess up though, I saw some on Pinterest using a leaf or feather die cut aperture!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 05:46 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

If I'm giving a set of 4, I usually include a birthday, a get well, a thank you and a hello/best wishes/thinking of you. If more, I'll add a sympathy and double up on birthday and/or thank you.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

MONOGRAMS are ALWAYS NICE! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I have also made personalized sets. These were a big hit for teachers when my daughter was in school. In Microsoft Word, I make 4 text boxes on an 8.5 X 11 size sheet and print "A Note from XXX" or "Thank You From XXX" in each box. I cut that into 4 to use as the front of the card and either stamp or embellish on it. I usually cut the sheets 3.75 X 5, back it up with a pretty DSP cut to 4 X 5.25 and then pretty up the printed sheet.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I've made card sets for my (now former) counselor & this past Christmas for my current counselor. In the past, I did a variety including birthday, thank you, general, and maybe a sympathy card or 2 thrown in. This past time, I just went with all general. Maybe a hello greeting or something similar on the front, but nothing theme-specific. I also always leave the insides blank, so they can write a personal message. I figure, they can then use them for whatever reason. They liked them very much! In fact, my current counselor didn't want to send hers out and give them up that way! So, since I'd taken photos of all the cards, I printed them & made a small album of those for her, which she greatly appreciated. Also, a couple of years ago, the daughter of a friend I'd gone through school with graduated from high school. I gave her a set of thank you cards, figuring she'd have need of those. She loved them! Good luck with your endeavors!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

You all have such lovely cards! I love them all, especially the scripture cards. I need to get more of those. I think I'm getting a better picture of what type to make. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to start with a few Birthday for women and men, maybe one child one too. For now that will get me started. Thank you ladies! You're awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monogram Stamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalla WallaView Post
I make some for the ladies at work and they just about always request I make monogram cards. In April & May I made 7 sets of monogram for them to give as gifts.

What stamps sets make for the best monograms or do you buy individual letters as needed?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Default 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
If I'm giving a set of 4, I usually include a birthday, a get well, a thank you and a hello/best wishes/thinking of you. If more, I'll add a sympathy and double up on birthday and/or thank you.

Great way to give a thoughtful variety. Thanks! For sets of 6, 8 or more I'd slip in some cards that are blank on the inside and have no sentiment on the front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

If you look at alphabet sets from companies and look at the size of the cap ones...you can decide which ones you like the size of or font of....you may already have sets in the house.

You can stamp a letter, die cut with a circle and go from there. Or...you can use it at the top of writing paper with a flourish on the sides...

I made stationary with images important to people. Just bought stationary on sale and punched it up with embossed images.

If you look at the cards the person sends that can inform you as to their sensibilities as even though they may try for what you like, it is highly unlikely they dont like the card themselves.

Questions I ask if making card sets:
Favorite colors
hobbies
fav animals
fav flowers
job
volunteers for
and so on....
I dont usually hide that I am doing it. They are happy to answer and still surprised by whatever I come up with. I usually leave them blank.

But if I was doing sentiments I like the choice for them to stick on what they need...

or I would go with birthdays, get well, thinking of you, sympathy, romantic (for anniversaries or whatever if in a couple), congratulations/best wishes. Maybe some snark general humor. Landscapes with no message at all for blanks.

But be warned. Once you start that...they will always want more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcgView Post
What stamps sets make for the best monograms or do you buy individual letters as needed?
I prefer a script and larger size. The Tuesday Morning in my area has a number of alphabet stamp sets. Large script by Kelly Creates and a smaller script. Another option is use your computer and print out a monogram then stamp or emboss around it. Lot's of variety that way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
But be warned. Once you start that...they will always want more!
I've given a dear friend card sets for her birthday and for Christmas for the last three years. The other friends in the group did a "what about me" at Christmas. Works for me. I have a huge stash of cards that need homes. And now I try to make challenge cards fit for those that get the card sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stampin' Fool

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

My mother has a Cricut and I just usually have her cut out the letters I want. It takes her no time at all to cut out the size or color I want. Plus she has a lot of different fonts.

I also have an alphabet set with large letters and an A did from Our Daily Bread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love giving card sets and agree it's nice to tailor them to the person, if possible. Did get some feedback from my mom-in-law that she prefers cards without a sentiment so I always include more of those in sets for her.

When I do monogram sets I go to Word and create and print a page full of initials in different pretty fonts and sizes, leaving enough space around the letter to punch it out with a circle or scallop punch (or whatever shape I want). This allows me to tailor the monogram/shape to the size and design of whatever card I'm making. Hope that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris4436View Post

When I do monogram sets I go to Word and create and print a page full of initials in different pretty fonts and sizes, leaving enough space around the letter to punch it out with a circle or scallop punch (or whatever shape I want). This allows me to tailor the monogram/shape to the size and design of whatever card I'm making. Hope that makes sense.

What a great idea. Saves,money,saves, time and is very personalizeable [not sure if that word is in the dictionary...lol]. I can do that!!! Thanks, again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
Hi Julie,

I include a variety of cards. Card styles are dependent on the personality of the person receiving the set. I've got some friends who love silly and snarky cards to send. Others prefer more traditional cards.

The stage of life of the person receiving the set determines the types of cards. Younger recipients may have friends getting married and having babies. Older recipients have requested sympathy cards.
Birthday cards
Thinking of You
Encouragement/Sympathy

Your family will love the thoughtfulness and creativity of the card sets!
Wonderful advise. Your card sets are lovely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Wonderful advise. Your card sets are lovely!

I AGREE, your sets are BEAUTIFUL!!! ;) SUCH NICE GIFTS!!! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Last birthday I made cards to gift to my sister. She's a gardener so I made some with lady gardener image and stamped with Thank You, and Hello, and Thinking of you, so she could send to friends. Then I made some for her to send to each grandchild, (9) taylored to each one, from 21 years old down to 3 yrs old.
"You're my Favorite" is a stamp I use on the front a lot...then she can send one to both grandsons in the same house! Kiddy birthday, romantic for the teen girls. "Love your Smile" "You make me Happy" kind of sentiments on the fronts.
I recently made a whole boxful for my best friend (and great card appreciator). Same idea, but added Happy Birthday for women and men, and Your My Favorite on adult-style cards, since she has grown kids. Then age-appropriate birthdays for her grandkids.
It was lots of fun thinking of what she would enjoy and like sending out....No sympathy or 'GET WELL' cards because you never know the relationship, and I HATE saying GET WELL on a card, when you are trying to encourage a sick person. That sounds like a command to me!
Reply With Quote Likes