Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arthritis/tendinitis and stamp positioning tools...THSP, Misti, Stamparatus, etc.

I’m trying (emphasis on try) to get back into stamping after a very long hiatus. Over the past several years, my arthritis and carpal tunnel have been joined by a couple extra forms of tendonitis that make it difficult to provide enough pressure to get a crisp image on a medium sized stamp, let alone a larger one. I’ve also begun the process of unmounting the last 100 or so sets and another couple hundred solo stamps to save some space...sold 200 sets and have no idea yet how many singles, and still have some vintage sets to sell....but I digress.

I know it’s a little easier to hold an acrylic block than a wood one. I’ve read you shouldn’t un mount your background stamps, but haven’t been able to figure out why.

To those of you using the Misti, Stamparatus, or one of the other positioning tools....does it take less hand pressure to use these, since you can move your fingers around on the acrylic sheet?

What do others of you with hand strength issues do to compensate?

Thanks in advance!
Kate
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have two different types of arthritis and I love my MISTI. The best part is being able to stamp over and over if needed to get a good image. I can't press hard because of the arthritis, but I can stamp as may times as needed to get a good image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it's fine to unmount your background stamps. I just use them face up anyway, so having just the rubber (or rubber and foam) is not a problem.

Lay it on your work surface, ink it up and place the paper/cardstock face down, then run over the back of the paper with your hand or a small acrylic block
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2019, 01:27 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the advice about background stamps is because they are harder to get a good print from, due to the extra pressure needed. Having said that, I've unmounted mine, and was doing as PikkuLilla said. Then I got my TH Stamping Platform, and they really do make all the difference in the world. You need to put in far less effort to get a good print, and yes you can just move your hand over the plate to get good pressure. And if you get poorly stamped spots, you just reink your stamp, and stamp again, as many times as you need to get it perfect. So that also helps relieve the amount of pressure you need to apply.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 06-06-2019 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2019, 05:55 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

My grip strength is very poor, too! Using a stamping platform will change your life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2019, 06:27 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Yay! Thanks, ladies, that’s what I was hoping to hear. Now I can justify the cost, and get busy finishing the unmounting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have limited strength and have a MISTI then got Holtz platform for the larger area. Sometimes I need to press on the lid to make a connection in some areas of the image and found that I can with MISTI and the TH platform has a much more resistant lid....impossible to press hard enough, and have to place paper 'shims' under my cardstock and try again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have severe arthritis in my hands. I own the Misti and the Stamparatus and love them both. I use my background stamps with both of them and it works great. I drop things easily and it sure solves that problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't have issues like those being discussed here, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I have both sizes of Tim Holtz platforms and both the original and mini MISTI, and I almost ALWAYS default to the mini MISTI. It's almost impossible to mess up, and it's very easy to use. There is considerably more "give" on the MISTI (any size) than the Tim Holtz. I am NOT kind to the poor little thing, and it just keeps keeping on. Can't recommend it highly enough! One thing that might make it even easier to use would be to make a "tab" with washi tape or something to open and close the lid - it can be tricky to get a hold of sometimes...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I would agree with the others that the Misti is was more flexible and thus easier to press on than the TH positioner. I have an autoimmune disease that mimics RA and causes inflammation and arthritis in the joints of my hands and feet. The Misti has kept me stamping and crafting on days I wouldn't have been able to. That said, I can still be a klutz and drop an ink pad onto my freshly stamped perfect image, but you can't save someone from themselves sometimes! Haven't tried to Stamparatus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have lupus and I’d definitely recommend a stamp positioner. I prefer one with a hinge as it’s easy to close. But please, don’t stress your hands! Use your forearm to add pressure once it’s closed. You might have to stand unless your desk is low/chair is high but it means no real joint strain. Alternatively, I find that if I’m using a small stamp and placing it and the paper in the positioner on the side closest to me, I actually line it up with the edge of the desk and pinch it closed with my thumb under my desk and my other fingers on the lid of the MISTI or TH stamp platform. For some bizarre reason, it’s easier on my wrist than direct downward pressure with the palm of my hand. But my desktop is thin, 1/2” glass so that helps. These might now work for you but maybe for someone.

You also have another advantage with a stamp positioner. You can restamp. So if it isn’t perfect the first time because you can’t press very hard, just add more ink and stamp again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Crafting with hand challenges

I think you got good advice from lots of people.
I want to mention Sandy Parker’s Vlog on YouTube: Crafting for Almost Everyone. Sandy has issues with her hands and does a great job of recommending accommodations and tools that help her out. She’s also funny and creative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I have limited strength and have a MISTI then got Holtz platform for the larger area. Sometimes I need to press on the lid to make a connection in some areas of the image and found that I can with MISTI and the TH platform has a much more resistant lid....impossible to press hard enough, and have to place paper 'shims' under my cardstock and try again.

I have both. I find the MISTI easier to use. The Tim Holtz one doesn't have a fun foam cushion like the MISTI. I received a stamp-making kit for my Cameo as a gift. The sheets to be cut into stamps were very thin, so I never bothered. But one of those stamping sheets is the perfect thing for Tim's platform!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 02:19 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I have arthritis in my hands and I have tried the Misti, Tim Holtz platform the Stamparatus. By far the Stamparatus is the easiest on my hands and I get great results. I always felt the Misti was going to crack on me. I got better results with the TH platform but it is a harder surface. The Stamparatus I don’t feel like I am pressing too hard even if I have to re-stamp an image, which isn’t that often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2021, 05:15 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Has anyone tried a brayer to help? Or would it crack the misti? I use it for background stamps, face up, ink, paper, then brayer. I do have some hand problems but not severe, I can roll over the paper lots of times and it seems to help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I created a burnishing tool out of an old stamp block and felt to rub over the closed door of my stamp platforms instead of using the palms of my hands. It applies good even pressure without putting a lot of pressure on my hands.

Arthritis/tendinitis and stamp positioning tools...THSP, Misti, Stamparatus, etc.-wood-burnish-tools-1.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Burnisher tool
Attached Thumbnails
Arthritis/tendinitis and stamp positioning tools...THSP, Misti, Stamparatus, etc.-wood-burnish-tools-2.jpg   Arthritis/tendinitis and stamp positioning tools...THSP, Misti, Stamparatus, etc.-wood-burnish-tools-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I created a burnishing tool out of an old stamp block and felt to rub over the closed door of my stamp platforms instead of using the palms of my hands. It applies good even pressure without putting a lot of pressure on my hands.

Attachment 373658

SMART!! I knew I saved all those old blocks for something!

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #19  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsporkView Post
Has anyone tried a brayer to help? Or would it crack the misti? I use it for background stamps, face up, ink, paper, then brayer. I do have some hand problems but not severe, I can roll over the paper lots of times and it seems to help.
Yes, I use a brayer on my Misti quite often. It’s much better for my hands than pressing with my hands on the lid of the Misti.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2021, 06:13 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

BTW, came across this YouTube video recommending various Amazon products for crafters with arthritis:

There wasn't anything I felt the need to order immediately, but some caught my interest.
Reply With Quote Likes