Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-25-2019, 03:17 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paper and ink organizing

I’m hopeful to spend some time organizing my craft room and have pondered the way to organize my SU inks and paper.

I haven’t come up with a way I think is best for any clear pro/con reasoning so I figured I would ask other crafters.

How do you organize your SU paper and ink? Do you love that method or does that work best for you, and if so why?

Options are:

Alpha by SU color family
Alpha in general
Color coded rainbow style

I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Regards,
Julie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 03:39 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I store mine in a variety of ways:

Ink pads are stored by color family. I have the cases marked "B", "R"... (brights, regals, etc.) and I simply pull them out and put them back into the general category. No fuss with alphabetizing and I can see all of the color names clearly.

Ink refills are grouped by shades -- blues/greens, pinks/reds/oranges, etc. I glue a punched piece of card stock to the top of the refill to make them easier to find.

Paper - I used to have my paper in color family order and labeled alpha within family. A year or so ago, I switched to a strictly alpha system and find that I like that much better since I don't have to remember which family has which color. Yeah, way better for me.

I realized that rainbow won't work for my paper storage because the light isn't good in that area, meaning that individual colors don't really stand out.

Best bet: Pick the one(s) that work best for you. Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 05:24 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In don't have SU but my paper and inks are stored in rainbow order: R-O-Y-G-B-P, then neutrals, then metallics. One note, I sort inks by type first then by color.

I highly recommend storing scraps with the full sheets of paper. My colored scrap piles have gone down greatly since I started doing this because I remember to use them now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have done this many different ways over the years. Right now my pads are sorted by type and then color from lightest to darkest in that color family. My Stampin' Up paper is in a two drawer file cabinet........current colors in the top drawer and retired ones in the bottom drawer. Sorted into color families from light to dark.........each in a pendaflex holder with a label done from that particular color and within each pendaflex is the pack of paper and a cellophane bag the same size that holds the scraps for that color. My scraps are where I look first unless I am making a card base.......really gets them used up. Since I don't have all the colors, I will sometimes double up colors in one pendaflex........this seems to be the best system I have found........so far........lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I store my inks by brand then color - ROYGBIV. Paper I store just in color order, on a shelf in vinyl pouches, job ticket holders I think they're called. I also store my scraps in with the paper and I keep patterned paper in a CTMH plastic stamp box all cut down to size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2019, 02:31 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I store my inks by brand then color - ROYGBIV. Paper I store just in color order, on a shelf in vinyl pouches, job ticket holders I think they're called. I also store my scraps in with the paper and I keep patterned paper in a CTMH plastic stamp box all cut down to size.
I also store my inks this way!! I have 2 ink pad holders from Organize More that I store my SU inks in rainbow order, then misc. full pads, like Mama Elephant or Simon Says Stamp-those are also in rainbow order. I store my Distress Inks (regular ones) in the second holder in rainbow order. My black and Versamark inks are stored in my desk drawer since I use those 90% of the time. I store Distress Oxide in a drawer in small stacks, metallic inks and ink cubes are in drawers since I don't use them very often.

I also store my paper on a shelf, but instead of job ticket holders I use XL page protectors (they hold 50-100 sheets, much cheaper but thinner) also in rainbow order and that is all Stampin up, other company cardstock fits in one protector. I used to store my cardstock in a drawer which I really liked, but I would hardly ever use it. I tend to grab it more now that it is out in the open and it looks nice on the shelf. I still store my neutral in a drawer since I use those colors most often.
When I switched to storing my cardstock on the shelf, I was also asking myself "would I really use this color?" and ended up de-stashing about a quarter of my stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2019, 04:45 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I have weeded down my SU colors and inks dramatically. I now keep color groupings that work together in colors that I LOVE. I can't see keeping colors that don't make me smile.

...They are stored by color in rainbow order.

...I keep quarter sheets of the colors (and scraps) and the ink pads and sponges for those colors in small drawers. So all of one color is together. Since I use mostly white bases for cards, I will only cut color card bases when needed.

...My full sheets are kept in rainbow order in the dark on a shelf. I also use the extra large page protectors. They were easier to find than the job tickets.
...Then I have a bin on my desk where I keep card bases already cut and folded. Mostly that is white and Neenah desert storm. Also some white woodgrain and white linen. There's a few light color bases as well.

If you want a rainbow order file of SU colors it is attached below...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stampin Up colors by ROYGBIV.pdf (169.1 KB, 76 views)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
...Then I have a bin on my desk where I keep card bases already cut and folded.
I need to do that! I keep threatening to and never do. I would probably do white and black for now because I'm fresh out of Crumb Cake which is my all time favorite. Speaking of which, I think I need to order up a new pack while I'm thinking about it!! ...and now you know why I haven't yet gotten around to cutting and folding card bases!!! haahhahahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you SO much for the color chart. I have been trying to rearrange my vast hoard of SU papers...some back from the early 2000's! I didn't keep them in their original plastic for a long time and am having trouble figuring out which green is which, etc. This chart will help me group!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 05:20 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
In don't have SU but my paper and inks are stored in rainbow order: R-O-Y-G-B-P, then neutrals, then metallics. One note, I sort inks by type first then by color.

I highly recommend storing scraps with the full sheets of paper. My colored scrap piles have gone down greatly since I started doing this because I remember to use them now.
This sounds very similar to my system. I too do not have SU cardstock but all my card is sorted in rainbow order in polypockets in hanging files, with all the scraps in the polypocket with the full sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 06:15 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjulierView Post

Options are:

Alpha by SU color family
Alpha in general
Color coded rainbow style
Which of those options matches how you think when you need colors? That’s your answer.

I think “need yellow” so papers and inks are sorted in rainbow order, brands mixed together. For grabbing and putting away, I want them in one spot. (I have some but not much SU CS, no inks.)

Exceptions: Distress Oxides are separate in rainbow order. Distress mini cubes are separate in a container, and other companies’ mini cubes are in a container. All rainbow.

Metallics and other weird CS are separate.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-04-2019 at 04:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default XL page protectors?

What are XL page protectors and where do you get them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Alphabetical all the way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2019, 10:09 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post

<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:pYou can find these with the other page/sheet protectors at most office supply stores. Regular sheet protectors will hold just a few sheets of copy type paper so look for the ones that say they hold 50 or 100 pages. They're referring to copy weight paper, so won't hold as many sheets of cardstock, but they work great to keep my color CS together. Here's a link to some I found online that say they hold 70 pages, although I usually buy the store brand locally: AveryMulti-page Sheet Protectors<o:p

</o</o</o</o</o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default XL Page Protectors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris4436View Post
<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:pYou can find these with the other page/sheet protectors at most office supply stores. Regular sheet protectors will hold just a few sheets of copy type paper so look for the ones that say they hold 50 or 100 pages. They're referring to copy weight paper, so won't hold as many sheets of cardstock, but they work great to keep my color CS together. Here's a link to some I found online that say they hold 70 pages, although I usually buy the store brand locally: AveryMulti-page Sheet Protectors<o:p

</o</o</o</o</o
Thanks for the info! I just bought a package of 50 protectors at Office Max for $7.29. Cheaper on Amazon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

My stamp room is all about color, so I keep all my stamping supplies by color in a ROYGBIVish manner as well as neutrals and metallics. I have SU only cardstock in colors, but in neutrals and metallics I get from everywhere. After color they are named with the SU names. I do not use the grouping SU does and I have lots of retired colors that live happily and blend nicely with the newer colors. My paper is all in file drawers standing vertically so I can grab easily and also see quickly what color I'm low on. My ink pads and reinkers are first by type (dye inks, pigment inks, chalk inks, etc) and then by color. For dye inks pads I have a drawer for all greens, one for blues, etc. My pigment inks are all in two drawers (metallics in one, regular colors in another) with the colors separated in rows. Same goes for chalk inks and permanent inks. Reinkers are in two drawers---one for dye inks and one for everything else. Each color has a row and I put the color on the top of the bottle so I can see at least about what color it is before I pull them up.

I'm somewhat OCD (OK, a lot OCD), so you have to find what works for you. You may find your style is more of a mixture of the great ideas already mentioned. Good luck in finding the solution that suits you. You will be happy you took this journey.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper and ink organizing-top-drawer.jpg   Paper and ink organizing-ink-paint-cabinet.jpg   Paper and ink organizing-reinker-storage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceylovespaperView Post

I also store my paper on a shelf, but instead of job ticket holders I use XL page protectors (they hold 50-100 sheets, much cheaper but thinner) also in rainbow order and that is all Stampin up, other company cardstock fits in one protector.

When I switched to storing my cardstock on the shelf, I was also asking myself "would I really use this color?" and ended up de-stashing about a quarter of my stock.
I, too,have de-stashed a lot of paper.I really like the idea of oversize page protectors for storing my 81/2 x 11 cardstock. Where did you get the over size ones?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Wow, thank you. I printed it out. It will help greatly with my organizing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post

They hold between 50 to 100 pages (so about 25 to 30 or so pieces of cardstock, depending on thickness) I got mine at Office Depot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcgView Post
I,too,have de-stashed a lot of paper.I really like the idea of oversize page protectors for storing my 81/2 x 11 cardstock. Where did you get the over size ones?

Office Depot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I got them at Staples...yay!!! Thanks for all your help and ideas...I love this site!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I have weeded down my SU colors and inks dramatically. I now keep color groupings that work together in colors that I LOVE. I can't see keeping colors that don't make me smile.

...They are stored by color in rainbow order.

...I keep quarter sheets of the colors (and scraps) and the ink pads and sponges for those colors in small drawers. So all of one color is together. Since I use mostly white bases for cards, I will only cut color card bases when needed.

...My full sheets are kept in rainbow order in the dark on a shelf. I also use the extra large page protectors. They were easier to find than the job tickets.
...Then I have a bin on my desk where I keep card bases already cut and folded. Mostly that is white and Neenah desert storm. Also some white woodgrain and white linen. There's a few light color bases as well.

The SU rainbow order is interesting---almost identical to what I created, only in reverse! I start with neutrals, then yellows to oranges, on to peaches, pinks, reds, followed by red-purples, blue-purples, next the blues from purplish on to true blues then to greenish, and finally to the green with a blue cast to the yellowish ones. When mine did not follow closely (in reverse) with the list, I found they were quite a bit off. This may be that while I have all of the old retired colors, I have very few of the In Colors---retired or not. Anyway, it was fun to compare, and I actually made some changes where I thought the list made more sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Any color order that works is all that matters for the CS owner - and it’s fun reading other ways people sort.

For nerds (me!), rainbow order (remembered by the name ROY G BIV) is the color order in actual rainbows - how light disburses/breaks apart in a prism. Or a diamond. red-orange-yellow-green-blue-indigo-violet. But separating indigo from blue seems like splitting hairs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I organize in rainbow order for both ink and paper. I love that method because it is easier for me to pick out the "right" red, or blue, etc. I also can more easily see what colors look great together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Jeanne3579 LOVE the drawer cabinet. Where did you find it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by labellafloraView Post
Jeanne3579 LOVE the drawer cabinet. Where did you find it?

My wonderful husband, who was a wood worker and did all the furniture and cabinetry in our house, built it to my specifications. However, If I had to purchase something, I would buy a wooden file cabinet, or two (which I just did for my daughter who is starting to need housing for her cardstock). I will tell my DH about your kind words. He will be thrilled, especially since he is no longer able to woodwork. Can't find the exact same one, but these are similar.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...e-eoz1371.html

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...000217975
Reply With Quote Likes