Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky and stained clear stamps

Some of my clear stamps are so sticky that they pull up the paper I am stamping on and makes it very messy. With some of them even the super sized magnets on my Misti can't keep the paper from being pulled up.

Others are getting very stained and I am looking for a way to clean them without damaging them.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Thank you, Lucy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2019, 01:30 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Lucy, for some reason clear stamps do tend to lift the paper when stamping, no matter what the brand.Mine do it all the time, and watching other crafters You Tube videos, they have the same thing.
On the subject of staining, again, from respected You Tube crafters, the staining is actually an indication of high quality stamps. The better the quality, the more they will stain. I've seen this to be true, as cheap silicone ones- the ones typically given as magazine freebies- always just wipe clean, but many of my photopolymer are stained black,lol. Also, ink colour can play a part, as reds tend to stain worse than any other.
The simple truth is that the staining won't harm them, so it's a case of living with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Default thank you

Thank you for this information. I guess you're right that we just have to live with it. But I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one with these problems.
Lucy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2019, 05:51 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally agree with silverwolf.
Though if the stained is on the 'extra' bit of the stamp (I mean the part that isn't part of the image -- the flatter part that has no raised image), sometimes a scrub with a rougher surface like a washcloth and some more pressure will take away a bit of the color. The reason I'd do this is if the staining is affecting my ability to see thru the stamp when positioning it, like if I'm layering stamps and not using my misti.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Just had a thought. Tim Holtz recommends using Hand Sanitizer to clean ink off the Stamping Platform, which he says should be wiped with a baby wipe/damp cloth after. I'm guessing it would also work with ink on stamps, but I reckon they would need a wash in soapy water after, due to the alcohol in the sanitizer. Whether it would remove the staining I don't know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

One of the things I have started doing with clear stamps in the Misti is instead of using the little circle magnets that came with mine, I use those shoot right angle pieces. ( they have this accessory set, I cannot think of the name of it off hand but, there are two 45 degree angles that are clear acrylic with magnets in the ends & the centers of them. and I use both of those to hold the paper I am stamping on in the Misti.

these things seen here (you actually get all those pieces but, I use the right angles every time)

Creative Corners

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 05:44 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When the urge hits, I clean all my stamps including clear with Simple Green or Judikins regular stamp cleaner and it has not hurt them but I always rinse my stamps with plain water. FYI, many of my stamps are very old, 10 - 20 years or more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 06:09 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thin bar magnets hold better than the little round ones that come with stamp positioners. Maybe try those? They can be found from various sources. Here’s a two-pack on Amazon that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Neod.../dp/B0181LX6JQ

I put washi tape around it in the center and sticking up about an inch to make a handle. Jennifer McGuire idea.

Staining is fine - it’s not a problem, just shows well used (rather than just collected!) and well made. : ) Some people, though not many, put ink on new stamps in a color they know will stain to see the image better!

Last edited by bjeans; 05-25-2019 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Seeing stampinstacy comment on stamp cleaners, I do (occasionally!) lol, clean mine with a homemade cleaner- there is a recipe on here I use. If I recall correctly, it's baby bath, water and a few drops of glycerine. They recommend using Distilled water if you are going to be keeping it a while. On another note, the one cleaner you should NOT use on clear stamps is Staz-on cleaner, and even the ink itself isn't recommended by most stamp manufacturers of clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

After stamping I generally just use a spritz of water and a small Zwipes microfiber cloth, or just the cloth. They’re the ones Jennifer McGuire uses; I’ve had mine for years. They’ll stain immediately but no ink will come off onto anything else. Eventually I toss them in the washing machine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also clean my stamps occasionally with Hero Arts stamp cleaner or use the Stewart refill, again with microfiber cloths. Stewart is what Hero Arts uses.

And occasionally I use Kirkland (Costco) baby wipes. They can be purchased on Amazon, are lint free, and stay moist even down to the last wipe even months later by pushing the top of the container down so the air swooshes out the opening. Then snap closed. I’ve also tossed some in a ziplock for a class and discovered the ziplock months later and the wipes are fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I also clean my stamps occasionally with Hero Arts stamp cleaner or use the Stewart refill, again with microfiber cloths. Stewart is what Hero Arts uses.

When you clean with the Hero Arts or Stewart Superior, what do you use to place the cleaner on while cleaning?--a microfiber cloth or something else.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
When you clean with the Hero Arts or Stewart Superior, what do you use to place the cleaner on while cleaning?--a microfiber cloth or something else.

I just leave the stamp on whatever it’s stuck to - a block or stamp positioner. I wipe off the stamp and then the block or positioner with the microfiber cloth.

Occasionally when stamps from different sets, when done with a stamp I’ll stick it onto the top right corner of my glass mat (that I’m working on anyway) and spray them all at once. I don’t usually do that since I like putting the cleaned stamp on top of the acrylic sheet it comes on and then will put the set in its pocket when dry. Not that it ever gets that wet.

Clear as mud, huh.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
TiaLis (05-09-2023)
Old 05-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
One of the things I have started doing with clear stamps in the Misti is instead of using the little circle magnets that came with mine, I use those shoot right angle pieces. ( they have this accessory set, I cannot think of the name of it off hand but, there are two 45 degree angles that are clear acrylic with magnets in the ends & the centers of them. and I use both of those to hold the paper I am stamping on in the Misti.

these things seen here (you actually get all those pieces but, I use the right angles every time)

Creative Corners
can anyone send a link to find this accessory kit ? Thank you !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Here is Amazon: Amazon.com: Creative Corners Positioning Pieces for Precision Stamping; 5-Piece Set Includes 2 L-Shaped Magnetic Pieces; from The Designers of The Misti Stamping Tools and The Cut-Align Rulers
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2019, 05:33 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I just leave the stamp on whatever it’s stuck to - a block or stamp positioner. I wipe off the stamp and then the block or positioner with the microfiber cloth.

Occasionally when stamps from different sets, when done with a stamp I’ll stick it onto the top right corner of my glass mat (that I’m working on anyway) and spray them all at once. I don’t usually do that since I like putting the cleaned stamp on top of the acrylic sheet it comes on and then will put the set in its pocket when dry. Not that it ever gets that wet.

Clear as mud, huh.

ETA: I forgot, I sometimes rub dry the stamp in the microfiber cloth too. That sometimes also removes a bit of ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2019, 06:14 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Microfibre cloths are great for removing any lint left behind from babywipes too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2019, 06:19 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Microfibre cloths are great for removing any lint left behind from babywipes too.

That. ^^

And do you have Costco in the UK? Their wipes (under their brand name, Kirkland) leave zero lint. I get mine on Amazon because Costco isn’t fun for me, usually. And they last forever since you can very easily squish the air out of the container.

Someone told me Target wipes are also lint free, but I haven’t tried them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Hopefully helpful

Hi Ladies -
When I get a new clear stamp set, the first thing I do before stamping with them the first time is ink them up with versamark, stamp and stamp off, then ink up with your ink color of your choice and that helps with the stickiness. As for staining, if you ink it up with a light color ink and stamp with it first, it is less likely to absorb the darker inks later. But remember, even if they are stained, that does not effect the stamping image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to laurap

This is something that has been happening to me and I just saw this video yesterday on Youtube featuring Tim Holtz talking about oxides but, as always, he gave a few more gold nuggets one of which was how to get rid of the stickiness of photopolymer as well as making the stamped images from them crisp...this does involve staining your photopolymer stamps...I can't remember where on this video he shares the ink to prep your clear stamps with (which is why I saved this video on my favorites so I can watch it again) but here is the link to the video:

Peace & Blessings,
Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 01:04 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky2View Post
Some of my clear stamps are so sticky that they pull up the paper I am stamping on and makes it very messy. With some of them even the super sized magnets on my Misti can't keep the paper from being pulled up.

Others are getting very stained and I am looking for a way to clean them without damaging them.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Thank you, Lucy
One thing you can do, especially with new stamps, to take care of stickiness, is to rub them with your fingers. The oil from your hands will take off anything left behind from manufacturing and you will get a) no stick and b) great stamping, no odd missed places. I just use my thumbs and make sure I go all over the stamp. You can tell when you've gotten it done, because the stamp looks cloudy. That is when it is ready to use.

I always clean my stamps. I use Kirkland baby wipes, and if I need a bit of stamp cleaner, I try stampin up's first, and if that doesn't work, I try a little StayzOn. I will use the baby wipe to scrub, or a microfiber cloth...either works. Keeping stamps clean also reduces sticky stamps. Generally I find if I've been using a stamp and it is that sticky, it needs cleaning. Mild soap and water will work if the other methods don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 02:00 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My favorite inks for good, solid impressions are Colorbox and Ranger archival inks. They require some elbow grease, soap, terry cloth rag and hot water to get ink off rubber, but they do not come out of silicone. They seem to permeate the material.

I have found, though that my stam-a-ma-jig works great for placing stained clear stamps just like it does rubber stamps. It’s an oldie, and a cheapie, but it works great. It’s also really small and easy to store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 04:15 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I also heard that Stazon ink should not be used with clear stamps, however, I have many sets which are 10+ years old, stained with Stazon, and are still work perfectly. I initially tried Stazon with a set when I couldn't get a good image with other inks. Once the first layer of Stazon dried and coated the surface, the stamp performed perfectly every time. They do still stick to the paper but that is just their nature. You can still use Stazon cleaner, but wash the stamp with soap and water after.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 06:15 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Default best way to keep paper down on misti

Hedgehog hollow has a super easy way to keep paper from pulling up on the misti sizzix sticky sheets. heres a link to the video
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Just as a word of warning on the Staz-on cleaner- this is what it does to acrylic blocks. I used to use it years ago, and despite wiping the blocks clean with a baby wipe after, this is eventually what happened.

I do know that Lavinia stamps, and Visible Image both advise not using Staz-on on their stamps. The problem, I think, is that there are so many formulations for clear stamps, and where the problems can occur. Some may be fine, others won't like it at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by thpingelView Post
Hi Ladies -
When I get a new clear stamp set, the first thing I do before stamping with them the first time is ink them up with versamark, stamp and stamp off, then ink up with your ink color of your choice and that helps with the stickiness. As for staining, if you ink it up with a light color ink and stamp with it first, it is less likely to absorb the darker inks later. But remember, even if they are stained, that does not effect the stamping image.

I was going to suggest using Versamark first (if you can remember and take the time to do it!!) to reduce staining on photopoly stamps, but thpingel beat me to it! ;-) I also try to look on the bright side of a little staining: it makes it easier to see and find the clear stamps when I drop or lose one, which I inevitably do!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Many of my clear stamps are several years old and I've always cleaned them and my rubber stamps at my kitchen sink with original blue Dawn dish washing liquid and a nail brush. Then I rinse them under the faucet well and set them on a kitchen towel to dry. Come to think of it, I originally used diluted Simple Green for a little while before that. I still have full bottles of stamp cleaner, never used. My stamps are still in great shape, too, other than the staining already mentioned.
Reply With Quote Likes