Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Die Cutting Duct Tape

Anyone tried this? What were your results? Any tips to share? Wafer or steel-ruled?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

I am thinking, you are going to want to stick it to some kind of cardstock first, just so you have a chance of removing it from the die what ever kind you pick easier.

nope, I have not tried this but, I would assume a steel ruled die would do it easier than a skinny etched steel die off the top of my head.

Or you could you know lay an open die on top of it stuck to cardstock and trace around the inside of the window with something and then cut it with scissors maybe. ( I have done that with cardboard when I didn't want to smoosh it running it through a machine)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Well, considering my experience cutting duct tape with scissors...and having that super-gummy glue get all over my scissors, I don't think I would be using my dies of any kind on duct tape.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

It would probably be easier to take a piece of silver cardstock and run it through an old cuttlebug texture folder and ink and distress it to make it look more like duct tape than to actually cut duct tape itself into a shape is another random thought.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Thx for the input. Pretty much what I thought w/the stickiness. I'm afraid that if I put it on paper/chipboard first, which is a good suggestion except, I'll loose the pliability of duct tape if I do that. I need it flexible.

My project: I'm using a Sizzix die similar to this one sizzix-scoreboards-l-die-notebook to make some little travel notebooks which I wanted to put monograms on. I've never cut vinyl and don't have an electronic machine for that, so I was looking for durable, sticky options. The material I'm cutting for the folders is called faux leather ribbon which is very flexible so the monograms have to be as well; otherwise they will just peel off or tear or something.

Maybe vinyl would be a better option, but can I cut that with regular dies? I thought you had to have one of the electronic machines to cut vinyl. And which glue is best for bending and flexibility? Open to ideas; I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
Thx for the input. Pretty much what I thought w/the stickiness. I'm afraid that if I put it on paper/chipboard first, which is a good suggestion except, I'll loose the pliability of duct tape if I do that. I need it flexible.

My project: I'm using a Sizzix die similar to this one sizzix-scoreboards-l-die-notebook to make some little travel notebooks which I wanted to put monograms on. I've never cut vinyl and don't have an electronic machine for that, so I was looking for durable, sticky options. The material I'm cutting for the folders is called faux leather ribbon which is very flexible so the monograms have to be as well; otherwise they will just peel off or tear or something.

Maybe vinyl would be a better option, but can I cut that with regular dies? I thought you had to have one of the electronic machines to cut vinyl. And which glue is best for bending and flexibility? Open to ideas; I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this.

I am having a hard time conceptualizing what you're using, so forgive me if this is super off-base, but what about something like shelf-liner paper? I think that it comes on its roll with a backing, and then you peel that off and it has some tack to it (but not too much because you want to be able to take it off your shelves later). You could reinforce its tackiness with maybe some scor-tape or Aleene's.

For working with duct tape, my suggestion would be to adhere it to wax paper first, then cut. Maybe that will help keep some of the stickiness off your die. If you have an inexpensive (i.e., easily replaceable) die, maybe you would like to try cutting with that first.

I will say that I have cut straight through sheets of adhesive (scor tape, but in sheet form) with no ill effect on my dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

The shelf liner may work, it's durable and may be inexpensive - good idea1 I'll look on Amazon shortly to see what styles they have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I honestly think that regular dies, esp. steel ruled dies cut way better than say a Circut machine. ( with a cricut, the edges tend to be frayed with just paper, its not a totally clean cut like with a die) so, you know what? I would totally try the Vinyl with the die.

Can you get a scrap piece of it to play with from a fabric store?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2019, 04:00 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I honestly think that regular dies, esp. steel ruled dies cut way better than say a Circut machine. ( with a cricut, the edges tend to be frayed with just paper, its not a totally clean cut like with a die) so, you know what? I would totally try the Vinyl with the die.

Can you get a scrap piece of it to play with from a fabric store?

Don't think so, but Hobby Lobby sells it so inexpensively, I'm not concerned about the cost of one roll for experimentation. Now, when we say "vinyl" we're talking about the thinner, rolled stuff in tubes in the paper crafting department (what people put on t shirts and coffee mugs), not the heavy stuff in the fabric department, right?

BTW, thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

the vinyl used by cricut or silhouette machines etc ( often its Oracal brand) is actually very thin, it would be way thinner and easier to cut than duct tape. You can buy mixed colour assortments which are a set of sheets of it rolled together, or a roll of a single colour. Check the label, as it comes in removable and permanent. For a notebook cover you don't want the iron-on (or called HTV or heat transfer vinyl) as that's the kind you apply using heat to fabrics.
You might need "transfer tape" to apply it with, although for a small piece you might be OK just applying it like a sticker.
I strongly recommend you practice applying it before you do it "for real" especially if you need to use the permanent type.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you, AussieJenny. I went to HL yesterday and bought several rolls and some individual sheets - different thicknesses to practice with. I actually ended up with the HTV b/c I'm ironing the covers of these books anyway. Will try different dies to see what (if anything works). Next, I need to educate myself on transfer tape; the woman working there didn't know what I was talking about. I did up with some Wonder Under since I'm going to try ironing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use metaliccontact paper. It is thin and easy to cut with wafer dies. It embosses beautifully and is pretty cheap.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Craft-Vin...CO65/165444159

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Contact-P...?selected=true

Here are some silver. The Copper finish is my favorite!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #13  
Ris
Cardstock Collector

Default Duct tape.....

:confused:If you are mostly wanting a particular duct tape design die-cut to stick right onto your project (and there are some really cool patterns out there now), I wonder about adhering it first to a plastic liner (like underneath bacon), then die cutting that. The duct tape shape should peel off the plastic easily enough, although the duct tape might stretch out of shape if pulled too hard. Worth a try, I suppose. If any residual stickiness remains on the die itself, a minute amount of a citrus-type adhesive remover will easily remove it with no damage to the die. Just be sure to wipe off any excess remover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I have die cut duct tape before, but first I adhered it to a laminate scrap. No problem with stickiness to anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Why not use adhesive sheets on metallic paper? Adhere one side to the back of the metallic sheet, run it through your Big Shot or similar die cut machine with whatever die you want. After you cut your design and weed it, all you have to do is pull off the release paper and stick it to your card base or whatever project you want it on. I've done this many times and it works great and looks like metal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I've cut duct tape with my old lovely Top Note steel die. Put the tape on some kind of release paper first, is the only trick.
Reply With Quote Likes