Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-11-2019, 01:42 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Getting Gold Veining on Alcohol Ink Backgrounds - No Foil Needed

I have been playing around with Ranger alcohol inks and Copic ink refills to make backgrounds. I wanted the veining, but applying gold foil didn't give me the effect I wanted. Pinata Metallic alcohol inks to the rescue! Pinata has gold, silver, copper, pearl, and brass, which is my favorite. This idea came from a YouTube video by Astuary Art. Another fun discovery is that you can use poster board instead of Yupo paper to make your backgrounds. This idea came from Mary Polanco on one of her YouTube videos.

I posted photos on another thread (see post #36). Photos 1 and 4, I have used poster board. These panels are oversized, which is why I didn't apply color all the way to the edges. Photos 2 and 3 use 74# Yupo

New Distress Archivals and Oxide Sprays - Splitcoaststampers

You can get a pack of 5 sheets (11" X 14") of poster board at Dollar Tree for $1.00; broken down, that's 5 cents per card front. Yupo (same size) works out to 49 cents per panel. You can buy a Yupo 9" X 12" pad, still get 4 card panels out of one sheet, for a cost of 31 cents per panel. But the poster board works really well; it tends to curl a little, but you can easily flatten it back out.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 05-11-2019 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: ETA: more info
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #2  
sbd
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know. Thanks for posting here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

(Partially copied from the thread Linda linked to.)

Those are great, Linda! What great backgrounds or strips or pieces for die cuts or sky’s the limit! It would be fun to see how you use some. Mine arrived - just haven’t played with them yet.

Barb at Joggles just did a video about using the Pinata metallics with regular alcohol ink. Whether someone is into mixed media or clean & simple, the technique applies.

Her prices are good any time, with inexpensive shipping and sometimes a little gift, and there’s 18% off site-wide (with a few exceptions) in honor of Mother’s Day.

Video: Ethereal Abstract Alcohol Inks & Magical Metallics - Joggles Blog

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2019, 04:42 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Thanks Linda! Those panels are so beautiful. I love alcohol inks!

I also love hearing about frugal substitutions. I just got some of the heavyweight yupo but only because I had a big big discount.

Qs: Just so I am sure we are talking about the same thing...Poster board is the stuff we make posters out of for say school events? So definitely thicker than yupo; Even more than 110# CS? I also would not try to fold it as in making it into a card base...my experience is it cracks..? So I like the idea of having a border edge one would cut away to get the piece you want to use...

Cuz I am the silly git who will try to cut down a 24 x 36 piece....I have some in the house

Just as an FYI to us...
Did you try the ranger mixatives? Those are the metallics...you do have to shake em a LOT before using but they seem nice...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Poster board is not the same as Yupo. You cannot ‘wash’ mistakes off of it like you can with Yupo and it’s real paper, not plastic. Glossy cardstock can also work with alcohol inks. That’s what we used before we knew about Yupo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thank you, Linda!! I'm just delving into this beautiful art form and appreciate you starting this thread. Thanks to all for your info. I hope people will continue to post their news and discoveries (and hopefully, artwork) here. How long to you all think it will be before Ranger comes out with the forced air tool we're all looking for....lol!!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I got some of the poster board and it's fun to play with - not the same as Yupo, but still a lot of fun. And much less stressful, since the price is so low that I'm not worried if what I'm doing turns out completely awful. I had heard that the back side of Kirkland brand glossy photo paper was also a good substitute for Yupo, and it really is pretty close. I got mine on Amazon for around $30 for 150 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, so it would be about 10¢ per 5x7 sheet (although the 5x7 sheets would actually be 5 1/2 x 8 1/2).

I tried the technique from the video using Ranger Metallic mixative and a plastic straw, and it did form veins. I've heard that the Pinata metallics react differently than the Ranger, and after watching the video, I had to go to the Joggles store and order the Pinata metallics. Her prices seemed decent, and the shipping charges weren't out of line. So I will be able to report back as to whether the Ranger mixatives work the same as the Pinatas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I got some of the poster board and it's fun to play with - not the same as Yupo, but still a lot of fun. And much less stressful, since the price is so low that I'm not worried if what I'm doing turns out completely awful. I had heard that the back side of Kirkland brand glossy photo paper was also a good substitute for Yupo, and it really is pretty close. I got mine on Amazon for around $30 for 150 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, so it would be about 10¢ per 5x7 sheet (although the 5x7 sheets would actually be 5 1/2 x 8 1/2).

I tried the technique from the video using Ranger Metallic mixative and a plastic straw, and it did form veins. I've heard that the Pinata metallics react differently than the Ranger, and after watching the video, I had to go to the Joggles store and order the Pinata metallics. Her prices seemed decent, and the shipping charges weren't out of line. So I will be able to report back as to whether the Ranger mixatives work the same as the Pinatas
Glossy cardstock works too, and some prefer it to Yupo. (I like Yupo best, and since it’s plastic paper, if we don’t like what’s there we can add more or remove it with blending solution or alcohol when wet.

The mixatives from Ranger aren’t alcohol inks, so are different, but I still like them too. I hope you post photos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Glossy cardstock works too, and some prefer it to Yupo. (I like Yupo best, and since it’s plastic paper, if we don’t like what’s there we can add more or remove it with blending solution or alcohol when wet.

The mixatives from Ranger aren’t alcohol inks, so are different, but I still like them too. I hope you post photos.
Right now, I'm mostly just messing around I seem to have issues with knowing when to stop and just leave it alone!

I did try a tutorial that showed making your own alcohol inks with 91% alcohol and sharpie markers. The one I made was much thinner than the real thing, but it still was a lot of fun to play with! I plan on making more of those, mainly because I saw some sharpies a while ago for a decent price and ordered what I thought were 3 different sets. They actually were all the same - but they were a good price and way too much hassle to send back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Just for the record, I didn't mean to imply that poster board could replace Yupo, just that you could use it as an inexpensive substitute.

Wavejumper, yes we are talking about the same thing. But I only use poster board as a panel for the front of my card or to use as a diecut. I have used the metallic fixatives and they have worked really well for me. But I prefer using the Pinata.

Before the fixatives came on the market, I used Krylon metallic pens. But I would get frustrated because they dry up so easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReddyiscoView Post
Well thank you, Linda!! I'm just delving into this beautiful art form and appreciate you starting this thread. Thanks to all for your info. I hope people will continue to post their news and discoveries (and hopefully, artwork) here. How long to you all think it will be before Ranger comes out with the forced air tool we're all looking for....lol!!

Jo, Ranger has one! The "airbrush" attachment they made for Tim's markers will work!

I bought an air puffer, but decided I get better results using a straw. My sister has always told me I'm full of hot air - turns out she was right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 03:26 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

It would be fun to use a small electric one - did you see what Barb at Joggles is using in her video?! (Link in post #3.) Not practical for the average bear but smart.

What about a makeup airbrush?

Here’s the Ranger one - Amazon.com: Tim Holtz Distress Marker Spritzer Tool I have a similar one in teal.

Or like these - Amazon.com : Polaroid Super Blower With Hi Perfomance Silicon Squeeze Bulb : Lense Blower : Gateway
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Wow....thanks ladies! I'm in the process of a move and simply haven't had a spare second to play.....i can't wait to get started. thanks for the links....I'm off to shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

If I was going to get one, I'd go to Harbor Freight. And if I was inking larger "canvases", I'd seriously consider it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

HF sells airbrush kits for hobbyists, but I don’t think they sell tiny compressors - that would be in the make-up airbrush realm. One I was looking at was rechargeable. But some have a short time limit before turn-off for over heating. When lost in alcohol ink need lots of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'm starting to think a simple straw would work the best. You wouldn't get too big a blast of air, and you'd have the most control. I love the idea of the cpap machine....what a good idea....but as someone pointed out it's probably not realistic for most of us. I like the idea of a make-up airbrush, so I'm going to look into that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Straws and air spritzer both work well. I prefer the spritzer since I’m not as close - because of fumes and can see a little better being further away. Having a constant air supply would be a luxury, seems so fun.

Speaking of fumes, a must have tool for me has been a very small fan that sits to the side on the desk and blows fumes away from my face.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

This wonderful tutorial by Anastasia Kenner is justed LOADED with tips and tricks and information....thought I'd share:

https://www.facebook.com/anastasia.k...84792/?fref=nf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

For me the issue is the compressor - getting enough PSIs with a tiny, quiet compressor. Most make-up compressors seem to go up to 20 or 25 psi and shut off after a certain time - not enough time if you’re knee deep in alcohol inks. ;) But maybe that’s because I’ve been looking at the less expensive ones.

Anastasia Kenner doesn’t mention which compressor she has but the one that’s made by the same manufacturer as her airbrush (Iwata) goes up to 15 psi. She said she often uses 35-40. I wonder if hers is a type that needs good ventilation.

Last edited by bjeans; 05-20-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Krylon gold pens

When I first learned the "Polished Stones" technique with alcohol inks on glossy cs, it was using Krylon Gold Leafing pens with the inks that dazzled me! Veining was to die for and much easier than foiling. Amazon still carries them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Location: Outside the beautiful Rocky Mountains in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default Alcohol Inks and Photo Paper

I know you said you could use YUPO paper and Poster Board but I use Photo Paper - but NOT the glossy side - I turn it over and use the matte side - you can't tell the difference between YUPO paper and this. Economical!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyleeView Post
I know you said you could use YUPO paper and Poster Board but I use Photo Paper - but NOT the glossy side - I turn it over and use the matte side - you can't tell the difference between YUPO paper and this. Economical!

I’ve tried both sides and a few brands and have gotten different results depending on brands - fun! (It was the like when blending Distress Oxides on photo paper and then wiping off to reveal big color changes - some photo papers worked great and some not at all according to someone.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

I have looked and looked at all the Dollar Trees around my neck of the woods and can't find the poster board in the packs. Would love to find some of that. boohoo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2019, 05:23 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetresuresView Post
I have looked and looked at all the Dollar Trees around my neck of the woods and can't find the poster board in the packs. Would love to find some of that. boohoo

At my dollar tree, they are kind of hidden in the racks with the full size sheets of poster board. Check there Also, one of the workers mentioned that for some reason, those are hard for them to keep in stock at this time of year. Maybe garage sales? She was stocking them when I was shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Cheryl, thanks for the suggestion where to look for the poster board packs!!! I really appreciate the help on that!! patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Default Brass

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I have been playing around with Ranger alcohol inks and Copic ink refills to make backgrounds. I wanted the veining, but applying gold foil didn't give me the effect I wanted. Pinata Metallic alcohol inks to the rescue! Pinata has gold, silver, copper, pearl, and brass, which is my favorite. This idea came from a YouTube video by Astuary Art. Another fun discovery is that you can use poster board instead of Yupo paper to make your backgrounds. This idea came from Mary Polanco on one of her YouTube videos.

I saw someone using the Pinata brass on Instagram and had to buy it. I loved how it looked! I took a peek at your pics, they are gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I had some credit card rewards to spend and got a small compressor/airbrush on Amazon - one that was recommended by Myriam's Nature on Youtube: Amazon.com: Master Airbrush Multi-Purpose Airbrushing System Kit with Portable Mini Air Compressor - Gravity Feed Dual-Action Airbrush, Hose, How-To-Airbrush Guide Booklet - Hobby, Craft, Cake Decorating, Tattoo: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

It arrived yesterday and I. am. in. love. I was just goofing off and don't really have anything to show y'all, but this is so much better than my straws, or my puffer tool, or canned air. It seems to have much more control, doesn't make me lightheaded from blowing thru the straw, or give me carpal tunnel from squeezing the puffer bulb, or give me frostbite from the spray can Also, both the puffer and the canned air seemed to "poof" with way more force than I really wanted, and I couldn't seem to figure out how to lessen that. With the airbrush, the compressor only runs when the button on the airbrush is pressed down. I used it for about an hour or so, on what seemed like the lowest pressure setting, and the compressor didn't seem to feel warm when I was done and it never stopped working.

The only negative is that the instructions that come with it are somewhat lacking. I was able to put everything together and get it up and running with no problem, but that's more from watching videos of other people using them and the fact that I'm fairly handy with tools than from the instructions included with this.
Reply With Quote Likes