Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cardstock color equivalent

Hi, new to stamping and SCS.
I am wondering if anyone knows of more affordable cardstock companies that matches the color and weight of Stampin' Up cardstock?

Thank you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hi Traci

Hmmm matching weight isnt a problem. That is just matching 110lb. or 80lb depending on which one

But matching color? That's something else. I mean all companies have reds blues etc and some are the same bc they are made by the same factory, BUT some have their own and I believe SU is one of them. You could probably get colors that are close...but as for price....

I guess you could try Marco's Paper co. They are a mfg that sells retail. Sign up and wait on sales...

If your heart is set on SU...people on the buy sell here sometimes are selling some at a good price-usually a discontinued color but the quality is still good.

If you are looking just to layer it, look over at Michaels. They have a lot of 80lb cardstock in lots of colors-esp color groups. You can do it online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome Traci--I'm not a SU demo, or affiliated with any company. But as in lots of other aspects, you get what you pay for. Second wavejumpers suggestions about checking the buy/sell forum, or our local store where you can "feel" the difference...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you wavejumper and desertdeb. I will head on over to Marco's and sign up. I'm new to this site and will check out what's being offered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #5  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to SCS, Traci!

Marco's has great customer service!
The Buy/Sell forum here is a great resource. You can post an ISO post to let folks know what you are looking for.

I read somewhere (recently) that "mustard yellows" are a trend. I think Lawn Fawn has one called No. 2 Pencil. I haven't used their cardstock so cannot make any comparisons.

Hope you find what you need!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Welcome,Traci!

Desertdeb is right- you get what you pay for. I've bought other card stock and always come back to SU.. I like that the color goes right through - no white core, although a white core can be handy sometimes. I have found that the quality of SU card stock and DSP is very high. I can't afford to waste precious crafting $ on supplies that do not satisfy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I like Papertrey cardstock. It’s affordable and very thick. They have great colours but as was mentioned, nowhere will have exactly the same colours as SU! designs their own.

I save a lot on cardstock by using white cardstock from an office supply store for card bases. I used to use coloured ones but that gets pricey quick. I also cut the middle out of any large layering/matting panel so paper that isn’t seen isn’t ‘wasted’. This also keeps the cards lighter for mailing.

And I save my scraps so I have very little waste. I keep a bag each of white, ivory, warm colours, cool colours and neutrals. I keep them in large thick zip top bags. I keep a divider (just cheap cardstock) inside and have large scraps on one side and smaller ones on the other. A 1/4 sheet or larger is ‘large’ and smaller than that goes on the other side. It’s a system that’s worked for me for years. It makes keeping scraps more manageable.

I recently got some Hero Arts cardstock and I have some MFT and Simon Says cardstock. They are good quality but more $$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I too have tried different companies and instead of saving money I wasted more $$$! I try to stick to SU cardstock only and I buy watercolor paper from Walmart!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 01:13 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are just using CS for layering, you can use the flat square end of a wedge makeup sponge to sponge color color around the edge of your layering piece. I press the inked sponge against the white card. Continue this around the piece overlapping the sponge marks and rotating the sponge and angle of overlap. This creates a subtle pattern that looks nice along the edge. Let me know if you need to see a sample of what I am talking about and I will trek down to the stamp room and create one.

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can see a sample here

WT143 Noble Deer Faux Leather by Kathy LeDonne - at Splitcoaststampers

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

Stampin' Up! cardstock is very high quality and I think reasonably priced for the quality. I also like being able to match cardstock to my Stampin' Up! inkpads. There are other companies out there that offer matching cardstock/inkpads, Gina K Designs for one. I think you will find all of the high quality cardstock from the many companies out there to be very similar in pricing. That said, Michaels Recollections cardstock is very nice and very reasonably priced with lots and lots of colors to choose from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cardstock Comparison

Hello! I have been using SU! Cardstock almost exclusively, but I was at Office Depot recently for something else and spotted the I cardstock at the printing counter and bought some to see if I like it. Haven't used it yet, but grab a couple of sheets and see if you like it Perk..no shipping fees.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I only use Stampin up paper but they keep raising the prices which is making me think twice before ordering any extra. When I started this hobby the paper was 4.95. Now it's what? 8.75, that's crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cardstock

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traci HView Post
Hi, new to stamping and SCS.
I am wondering if anyone knows of more affordable cardstock companies that matches the color and weight of Stampin' Up cardstock?

Thank you.

I understand your dilemma. I never buy full packages of cardstock. I will get either the color family assortments or the cardstock packs that go with a DSP. The assortments have 2 (or 4 with the In Colors) of each color. That cardstock that matches the DSP has 8 of 3 colors. This way I have a large assortment of paper without a huge investment.

Another idea if you meet with your upline, get together with a few other demonstrators each buys a different color and you share. If you have 4 people, you’d each get 6 sheets of 4 colors. Or each buy 2 colors, you’d have 6 sheets of 8 colors for the price of 2 packs.

I wouldn’t advised using Michaels or Hobby Lobby. If you want similar weight. Michaels is 65 lbs and Hobby Lobby doesn’t put the weight on the package but also feels like 65 lb paper.

As far as managing my cardstock and scraps, recently I found an idea using sheet protectors as dividers and scrap holders. Right now I keep them in metal mesh magazine holders. I bought the We Are Memory Keepers TAB punch and the tab stickers. I’m loving it. I tried to post a picture but I haven’t posted enough to allow any URLs. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cardstock Comparison

I hear ya! They are also raising the prices on several products I love; such as Dazzling Diamonds. 😢
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

If you're trying to post a picture of your own organisation bin, you should be able to do that. Click on the little icon that looks like the old landscape icon on a camera, and that ought to open up a screen which will let you navigate to and choose an image to insert directly into a post.

While I have little experience with SU paper, I do second Kathy's suggestion of sponging the edges of a white base with whatever colour of ink you choose. I just always have to remember not to move it around on my mat as I sponge, so as to avoid getting unwanted smudges on the back of the card base.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsNic2View Post
I understand your dilemma. I never buy full packages of cardstock. I will get either the color family assortments or the cardstock packs that go with a DSP. The assortments have 2 (or 4 with the In Colors) of each color. That cardstock that matches the DSP has 8 of 3 colors. This way I have a large assortment of paper without a huge investment.

Another idea if you meet with your upline, get together with a few other demonstrators each buys a different color and you share. If you have 4 people, you’d each get 6 sheets of 4 colors. Or each buy 2 colors, you’d have 6 sheets of 8 colors for the price of 2 packs.

I wouldn’t advised using Michaels or Hobby Lobby. If you want similar weight. Michaels is 65 lbs and Hobby Lobby doesn’t put the weight on the package but also feels like 65 lb paper.

As far as managing my cardstock and scraps, recently I found an idea using sheet protectors as dividers and scrap holders. Right now I keep them in metal mesh magazine holders. I bought the We Are Memory Keepers TAB punch and the tab stickers. I’m loving it. I tried to post a picture but I haven’t posted enough to allow any URLs. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Clicking the icon did let me upload it into the draft message and preview it. But when I tried to post it, it stated I hadn’t posted enough to be allowed to upload photos. � ����
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Maple Leaf SU paper

Hi Traci, I use Staples white paper. Much cheaper than buying it at a craft store. And when I make cards, I use white as my base, so I can get 4 cards out of a piece of SU cardstock.
As for layering, I wait for Michaels to have specials of the 2 for 1 of their cardstocks and I use them for layering. I buy all their colours, but mostly the black, because depending on which SU colours you are using, you can get away with other companies colours to layer.
If there is no SU ink or paper, then red is red~ Navy is Navy~ and so on!

Hope this helps!

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsNic2View Post
Clicking the icon did let me upload it into the draft message and preview it. But when I tried to post it, it stated I hadn’t posted enough to be allowed to upload photos. ������

Sorry - I didn't realise that it applied to photos too, since they are internal from the SCS servers. I think it actually takes about 5 posts before you can (I think it says 3). Comments count as posts, so if you left a few comments on cards in the gallery, that would be one way round it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome Traci. I don't know your reasons for wanting same colors as SU. I like some of their colors, but I stopped buying except for layering because their 80 lb. weight feels too flimsy after using heavier.

I REALLY like Papertrey, and started with a package of MANY colors, so I could see in person before buying packages. Their cardstock is heavy and cheaper than SU. They have ink (regular pads and mini) to match plus other embellishments to match, also. It's a plus that I love their stamps, and dies, too!
When I began stamping I bought many packages of Michael's color groups. Now I can only use them for layering....WAY too thin for a card base. I do use their 110 lb white & cream & black, even though it's not really 'square' and each piece must be trimmed to make a card fold evenly. It's too cheap to pass up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like Gina K's paper--nice weight and IMO equivalent to SU's paper. There are lot of color choices too.

Shop - Gina K Designs

Scroll WAY down on the left to Paper/cardstock. You can buy some assortment packs or single colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Traci!

I find that I use the SU paper as a base and will use other paper for layering. That works well for me and the SU paper - the card will stand up! That's just my $.02!!!!
Live for today,
Hope fortomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes