Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Envelope storage

Hi. Over the years, I've acquired envelopes in various sizes. I mostly make A2 cards. But, every once in awhile...well you know, the slippery slope. So, now as I'm putting my crafty area back together, again, I have found many packages of all imaginable sized envelopes. I have some Stamp n Storage pieces, but I don't think any are made for an envelope collection. How do you store yours? Do you have an envelope collection? Do you have any ideas for me? Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2019, 04:41 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't have a huge collection of "other-size" envelopes, but all of the envelopes that I have are in the top tier of my Ikea rolling cart. I also have my most-used patterned papers there for easy access. Prior to that, they were all in a decorative shoe box on one of my shelves.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2019, 05:25 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was lucky to find a closable plastic tote with a handle that was big enough to hold even my 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 envelopes. I found it on clearance after Christmas one year and I love that it has a hinged lid to keep everything dust free. The handle makes it easy to grab off a top shelf (I not very tall) when I need but is otherwise out of the way. I have all my envelopes in there by size and then color.

Maybe you could do a search for a hinged plastic tote with handle and find something that would work for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a drawer in my craft zone where I keep mine in order--smallest to largest (or bigger ones placed flat). Keeps them dust-free and they don't fade--I've used ones over 10 years old!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This won’t work for really large envelopes, but my A2s and some oddballs are in this make-up organizer that i bought to organize something else. It holds a surprising number, including packs of 25.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/40-...rylic%20makeup
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Here’s a thread from 2017 about envelope storage, including photos of the rack I use, though now I have more than one size envelope in it. But really large envelopes are in stacking plastic trays.

Storage of envelopes - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Prior to that, they were all in a decorative shoe box on one of my shelves.
My solution is similar. I keep mine in a photo storage box from Michaels. I put the largest on the bottom and smallest on top, all placed as far back as possible. Then I keep a bunch of A2 on the top at the very front. I don’t have many odd sizes, some 5x7, 5x5 and 6x6, otherwise mostly ones that I inherited from a drug store (ones people didn’t pick up) and from my grandma. I make most other sizes on my WRMK envelope punch board using those huge discount scrapbooking paper pads. You know the ones, 180 sheets for $12.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine are in a plastic set of drawers, the front being fairly see through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My idea is to get rid of them, read the rest if you're in any way interested in why I say it;)

I had also amassed a huge envelope collection. When I re-did my space in2015 I stuffed them all into an Ikea Alex drawer.

After 3 and a half years of totally ignoring the odd sizes in the back (which used to be stored in a box since 2004-no joke) I finally came to the realization that:

1 -I will (more than likely) never use those envelopes

2 -the envelopes I do use look much nicer and are easier to get to now that they are no longer stuffed like sardines

and finally 3 -If I do find the need for an odd sized envelope, I can make one using the mass of papers I have also had since 2004-and let's face it, it will be a lot prettier than the faded ivory ones that no longer "stick" and the ones that were still in perfect condition did not "Spark Joy"

so I just donated/recycled them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I have mine stored in the top drawer under one of my work tables. I keep them in boxes I acquired years ago that held 250 A-2 envelopes standing up vertically. They have lids like a shoe box that come completely off and will fit on the bottom. That's How I keep them with white envies in one stacked on cream envies in the other. I rarely have any other colors. For other sizes I use the cardboard photo boxes with like sizes together. The A-6, 5 1/2 x 5 1/2, 5x7 can stack vertically the normal way. The 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, large business envelopes all go in vertically but turned sideways. I love that I can grab the number, size and color I need without going through a stack piled up to get what I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, I ended up using a deep drawer to store the envelopes that are not A2 size. And I noticed that this is the second time that I started a thread about envelope storage. How goofy is that? :-) However, I think the best idea is to get rid of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I have some large envelopes in a drawer. I decided to make cards to fit them, as some of the stamps and embossing folders etc. are large enough to make a 5" x 6 1/2" card look nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Also, I like to put any card in a larger envelope and add some photographs from the mass amount that I have and am going through to thin down. The recipients like getting the (family) photos with the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are thinking of getting rid of any scraps or envelopes, PLEASE think of your local organizations...4-H, Scouts, Sr Citizens, Disabled. ADRC, Human Services, youth groups, churches, thrift stores, Goodwill, Savers, etc. They will LOVE the donations!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Good question. I need to redo mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean County StamperView Post
Hi. Over the years, I've acquired envelopes in various sizes. I mostly make A2 cards. But, every once in awhile...well you know, the slippery slope. So, now as I'm putting my crafty area back together, again, I have found many packages of all imaginable sized envelopes. I have some Stamp n Storage pieces, but I don't think any are made for an envelope collection. How do you store yours? Do you have an envelope collection? Do you have any ideas for me? Thank you!

I keep all of my envelopes for A2 cards in a shallow box where they are all lined up in rows so I can see them. The odd-sized envelopes are in another cardboard box (no lid) that sits on a different shelf. I organize those with the small ones in front and larger toward the back. I have to admit that I rarely use the large ones, but I just can't get rid of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 05:09 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

A quick craft idea if you aren't using those "other size" envelopes, is to cut the corners off, decorate them, and use them for corner bookmarks. Some can be smaller or really large, left plain or decorated with fancy edges, embossed, etc. Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps4funGinView Post
I have some large envelopes in a drawer. I decided to make cards to fit them, as some of the stamps and embossing folders etc. are large enough to make a 5" x 6 1/2" card look nice.

Good idea to make cards to fit the odd-sized envelopes. I've done that with envelopes that are smaller than A2 but don't usually go larger. I've noticed that many UK crafters make larger sized cards on a regular basis but I have trouble filling too much space. They also make a lot of square cards in the UK but I avoid them if I have to send through the mail because of extra postage required.

Sometimes my A2 cards are rather bulky, due to layers etc. Or I do an off-the-edge design that results in my A2 card being oversized. Those slightly-large envelopes are good for mailing these types.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean County StamperView Post
Well, I ended up using a deep drawer to store the envelopes that are not A2 size. And I noticed that this is the second time that I started a thread about envelope storage. How goofy is that? :-) However, I think the best idea is to get rid of them.

Another idea would be to use some of them for extra die cut storage, if you die cut at all. I often make extra die cuts that I don't use right away and I mark the envelope with general themes (such as Christmas Snowflakes). Pop the snowflakes into the envelope and store them upright in a small box. When I need a die-cut, I rummage through my stash and pull out what I need.

As I mentioned in another reply, I also use larger envelopes for those A2 cards that are a bit bulky and won't fit easily into the A2 envelopes.

I donate a lot of cards to nursing homes etc. so use a lot of envelopes. I've also been known to cut down a really large envelope and alter to fit a smaller card. Some of my large envelopes were so big that I could fit a card inside upright. I cut off the excess and adhered the side to make a smaller envelope. Those I used to send cards to friends and family in the mail as the flap had to be adhered with adhesive since the new flap only had adhesive on one half.

As you can see, I like to use up everything, haha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
My solution is similar. I keep mine in a photo storage box from Michaels. I put the largest on the bottom and smallest on top, all placed as far back as possible. Then I keep a bunch of A2 on the top at the very front. I don’t have many odd sizes, some 5x7, 5x5 and 6x6, otherwise mostly ones that I inherited from a drug store (ones people didn’t pick up) and from my grandma. I make most other sizes on my WRMK envelope punch board using those huge discount scrapbooking paper pads. You know the ones, 180 sheets for $12.

I don't have the WRMK envelope punch board but found a tutorial on how to make my own envelopes with a scoring board. YES!! Love using up those huge paper stacks with thin paper that I may never use. I went through my stash and pulled out the papers that I like the least, and spent a day making envelopes. It's almost addicting!

Oh yeah, and I also had crazy old envelopes inherited from my mom. Those are thin, faded, and weird sizes. Even I had to recycle those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftiemaView Post
A quick craft idea if you aren't using those "other size" envelopes, is to cut the corners off, decorate them, and use them for corner bookmarks. Some can be smaller or really large, left plain or decorated with fancy edges, embossed, etc. Have fun!!

This is another way to use some envelopes (especially those really nice ones...some are lined with AWESOME paper) that we get in the mail. You can usually use 1-3 corners for other projects....Keep on Crafting!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

This is another way to use some envelopes (especially those really nice ones...some are lined with AWESOME paper) that we get in the mail. You can usually use 1-3 corners for other projects....Keep on Crafting!!

I actually remove the liners when I get really nice envelopes, and use the liners for die cuts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

LOVE this idea. Thanks for sharing it. I usually just use whatever is available at the moment...an old receipt, a piece of tissue...old mail....THIS would make it much prettier though and something I'd give to my book lover friends and family and keep for myself as well. I used to make the magnet ones a long time ago and loved them. No idea what happened to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Great idea! My LSS recently had a class where we decoupaged and decorated envelopes - even throw-away types that junk mail come in. It was my first foray into a vintage look and so much fun. The envelopes could be used for gift cards (they can be cut down too), for mailing if not embellished - or for your clipped-corner bookmarks!

Last edited by bjeans; 09-02-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I don't have the WRMK envelope punch board but found a tutorial on how to make my own envelopes with a scoring board. YES!! Love using up those huge paper stacks with thin paper that I may never use.

Do you remember where you found the tutorial? If so, would you share the link?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Also, if you have a Scor-Pal and if the cost of the envelope punch board is too high (though Michaels often has a 40% off coupon), Scor-Pal has an envelope template that they and other vendors sell:

Scor-Envi Template | SCOR-PAL - Maker of Scor-Tape and Scor-Pal scoring board for making cards, envelopes and over 150 free craft projects

Scroll down on the page for a video. It won’t have all the measurements that the punchboard has but there are a bunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 04:58 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnsyrView Post

I'm sure this isn't the one referred to, but it's one I've used for years for non-standard sizes that weren't covered by the Scor-Pal insert.

Any Size Envelope Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Default making your own envelopes

Quote:

the Martha Stewart score board has an insert on the bottom edge that you pull out and put in the corner of the board, has measurements on it for different sizes. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

here's one (of many) tutorials for making an envelope.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Here are the two envelope tutorials that I first saw, on how to make your envelope without an envelope board. The first one doesn't even require a Scor-Pal.

The second one uses a diagonal score-plate, which I don't own. So I just use my regular Scor-Pal and turn the 8 inch paper square so that it's in the shape of a diamond. Then you can figure out the score lines by placing your card on the paper square straight across. Follow the instructions as shown. I've actually use a marker to mark the fold lines for a standard A2 envelope right on my board, along the top measurements. The trick is to make sure your diamond points are on the same exact line up and down or your envelope will be skewed (ask me how I know this!).

I use pp that I don't care for to make my envelopes, but use the pattern on the inside of the envelope so that I don't have to add a label on the outside for the address. It's relaxing for me to just cut a bunch of paper into 8x8 and score them all in a row, then make envelopes. So satisfying to have a stack of envelopes and use up extra paper at the same time.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Hi Janis,
Just shared the link! I'm actually thinking that I should make a cardboard template for the corner of my Scor-pal to make it even easier!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2019, 03:39 AM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Sorry I am being dull...I dont get the cut apart the envie for the corners thing? Is there a YT on this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2019, 04:53 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Sorry I am being dull...I dont get the cut apart the envie for the corners thing? Is there a YT on this?

Recycled Envelope Corner Page Bookmarks | ThriftyFun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2019, 06:27 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

You can just leave the envelope closed, or even glue the flap down, if you want. Then just cut across the corner diagonally, so you get a triangle shape, that will slip over the top right corner of the pages of your book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Just Checking in... Please Check your Post Office for Envelope Sizes. Any other shape than the standard Card Size, cost extra to mail. Costs goes up by thickness also. Just some info:

Once a piece of mail exceeds the maximum length, height, or thickness of one shape, it automatically gets classified as the next largest shape.
Minimum size for Postcards and Letters
5" long x 3-1/2" high
Maximum size for Postcards
6" long x 4-1/4" high
Maximum size for Letters
11-1/2" long x 6-1/8" high
Maximum thickness for Letters
1/4" thick
Maximum thickness for Large Envelopes
3/4" thick
Large Envelopes exceed one of the letter size maximum dimensions.
Unusual Shapes and Sizes

Sometimes a piece of mail requires additional postage because it is a certain shape or size that is difficult to process on mail sorting machines. To make sure you’re paying the correct postage, visit pe.usps.com. These are examples of mail that could require additional postage:
  • Square envelopes
  • Envelopes on which the address is written parallel to the shorter edge square
Check the USPS on-line for more information.

Some Envelopes are just out-dated, but like others use them for storage....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money Saver Make envelope books and give them as gifts

I would just use them to make quick and easy envelope books to give as gifts. There are many ideas for them on Pinterest and the you won't need to buy something to store them.
You can always make an envelope if you need one.:smile:

Best of luck!
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 03:50 AM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

I had never heard of envelope books. Interesting!
Reply With Quote Likes