Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distress oxides and inks

I purchased a few distress oxides inks and some distress inks from various hobby stores around here. It seems like every single ink pad I purchased, even the 4 pack of inks is dried up. I have watched countless videos about juicy ink pads but mine won't put any ink on the sponge pads. Is this normal? I bought the refresher spray and it has done nothing to the pads. Are there better inks out there or do I need to buy them elsewhere?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I had this issue last summer with a relatively large order of Oxides, but they'd been sitting on my porch in the August sun in Las Vegas all day while I was at work. I bought refills and freshened them up. Since this is obviously not the case here, I'd take them back and explain the issue and ask for a replacement or refund. If no response there, email Ranger and see what they have to say...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2019, 02:30 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I bought two Oxide inks, from different stores, and I find them both to be on the dry side. I don't like the way they blend and find them difficult to work with. I must be the only stamper on the planet who doesn't like them. I like the original Distress inks, but I'm passing on the Oxides.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad (sort of) that I'm not the only one! My Distress Oxide pads are dried up after only a few weeks and used only once or twice. They were in a cool room, in a drawer, so not exposed to heat or light. Such a waste and very annoying! I won't be tempted to replace them, that's for sure.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:39 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Jumping back in to say that I felt the same as JaneUK and Scrapjanny before I added ink to the dry pads. Now I LOVE them! Great coverage, very versatile, easy to blend (especially if you get these brushes). Just in case you care...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Jumping back in to say that I felt the same as JaneUK and Scrapjanny before I added ink to the dry pads. Now I LOVE them! Great coverage, very versatile, easy to blend (especially if you get these brushes). Just in case you care...
Thanks for that, but really I'm just not that impressed with the oxides anyway. . . at least for what I do. I think they'd be more useful for doing art journals and mixed media. Thanks again, though.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUKView Post
Thanks for that, but really I'm just not that impressed with the oxides anyway. . . at least for what I do. I think they'd be more useful for doing art journals and mixed media. Thanks again, though.

I just use them for cards - regular stamping and tons of backgrounds, and die cutting from blends. (My style is basically clean and simple.) I don’t make art journals and the only mixed media is if I happen to use two types of media on a card, not “messy” mixed media, and often no water.

They’re my desert island inks, along with Versafine and Clair. But I’ve wondered if I hadn’t taken an LSS class with an amazing teacher if I’d love them quite as much. That said, there are lots good videos with them that aren’t using them in mixed media.

And there is no rule that we all have to love the same inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I just use them for cards - regular stamping and tons of backgrounds, and die cutting from blends. (My style is basically clean and simple.) I don’t make art journals and the only mixed media is if I happen to use two types of media on a card, not “messy” mixed media, and often no water.

They’re my desert island inks, along with Versafine and Clair. But I’ve wondered if I hadn’t taken an LSS class with an amazing teacher if I’d love them quite as much. That said, there are lots good videos with them that aren’t using them in mixed media.

And there is no rule that we all have to love the same inks.

I can't get a clean, simple, crisp image with Distress Oxide ink. The regular Distress inks aren't too (emphasis on "too") bad but I have to use Versafine, Memento, SU. etc. for that. I still only use the Distress inks for backgrounds or when I deliberately want a softer image.

I put my craft things away for about two years and have recently just pulled them out and regained an interest, so of course some of my pads have dried up. But the Distress Oxides are new.... they shouldn't have dried up already.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I can't get a clean, simple, crisp image with Distress Oxide ink. The regular Distress inks aren't too (emphasis on "too") bad but I have to use Versafine, Memento, SU. etc. for that. I still only use the Distress inks for backgrounds or when I deliberately want a softer image.

I put my craft things away for about two years and have recently just pulled them out and regained an interest, so of course some of my pads have dried up. But the Distress Oxides are new.... they shouldn't have dried up already.

Agree. I never do regular stamping with regular Distress but frequently do with Oxides and get a very good image - as many do. For really crisp, small, detailed sentiments I mostly use Versafine, Versafine Clair, a couple others. But Oxides should still stamp well for you. If they won’t give you a good image plus are dry, yet have been stored properly, something is wrong. Maybe even a bad batch?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got on the bandwagon and bought a bunch of the Distress Oxides, but now I wonder why. I like them, but I don't know that they are all that amazing for my purposes. I am not big on Tim Holtz's art style (sorry, TH!) so I don't care about drizzling water over them for a watercolor effect. The chalky feel is nice, but...so what, really? What am I missing about their allure? That you can go over mistakes because they are opaque? I have watched several videos on them, but don't know what makes them so amazing for people. I do want to know, though, so I appreciate all help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnsyrView Post
I got on the bandwagon and bought a bunch of the Distress Oxides, but now I wonder why. I like them, but I don't know that they are all that amazing for my purposes. I am not big on Tim Holtz's art style (sorry, TH!) so I don't care about drizzling water over them for a watercolor effect. The chalky feel is nice, but...so what, really? What am I missing about their allure? That you can go over mistakes because they are opaque? I have watched several videos on them, but don't know what makes them so amazing for people. I do want to know, though, so I appreciate all help!

My style is clean and simple, sometime minimal. (Gallery not up to date.) I make lots of backgrounds - for cards and die cutting. I almost never sprinkle water onto Oxides. Thoughts:

- For many people, Oxides are easier to blend than regular Distress.

- Unlike regular Distress, when Oxides are layered on top of each other they won't make brown/mud if each layer dries a bit before applying the next. They don’t have to be bone dry. Oxides are more like opaque paint. Wet layers blend, dry layers layer.

- You can apply multiple layers of Oxides of different colors to cardstock, put down a stencil and then remove some of the ink with a baby wipe. Since you have more than one ink layer, you don’t have to get down to bare cardstock - unless you want to.

Ex: apply yellow then pink on top. Slap the stencil down, lightly remove ink with the baby wipe to reveal the yellow. the unwiped areas under the stencil will still be pink. (This can be done with multiple colors.)

- Smooshing on a craft mat works well - with a bit of separation between colors that make mud. (This is where I’ll use water, either on the CS or the mat.) Put the cardstock down and pick it up. Let it dry somewhat before re-smooshing in order not to make mud. You can always add more, and even cover what you don’t like completely. But patience (or a heat tool) is a virtue.

While this is also a Tim technique, beautiful, clean looks can be achieved with just two colors, with three adjacent colors on the color wheel, etc.

- You can combine regular Distress with Oxides. Regular Distress is translucent so Oxides show through. In class, we put regular Distress Walnut on top of bright Oxide inks for an aged look.

- You can use a shimmer spritz, metallic watercolors, and other water based mediums with Oxides.

- Oxides can be used for regular stamping. And for water coloring.

(I’m not following what you mean by the chalky feel, since they can look chalky depending on what is done with them, but wouldn’t feel different. But I had four hours of sleep so am not following much!)

Last edited by bjeans; 04-27-2019 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

And a few card makers with a clean & simple aesthetic who have made videos using Distress Oxides...

Kristina Werner has lots of videos using Oxides. This is part 1 of a recent series of blend combos:
http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/di...ombinations-1/

Justine Hovey also has many Oxide videos on her blog/YouTube. Here’s just one:
Justine's Cardmaking: Distress Oxide - Fun Techniques!

And here’s a slew of Laura Bassen videos with Oxides:
http://www.laurafadora.com/?s=Oxide

Jennifer McGuire uses them a lot for tons of techniques too - and here are a bunch:
You searched for Oxide - Jennifer McGuire Ink

These and more were found by searching on the designer’s name and distress oxides. But if you/anyone wants others, just yell.

And while these are my desert island inks, there’s no law that they have to be favorites for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

For Christmas cards, I used the PB Snowman profile. I layered oxides all over, being more specific with a color where I wanted to be.
It was simple and the overall affect was amazing. I had requests from friends to buy these cards.
Point being, it was a very simple process with great results. I do this with PB brushstroke stamps too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2019, 10:38 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
For Christmas cards, I used the PB Snowman profile. I layered oxides all over, being more specific with a color where I wanted to be.
It was simple and the overall affect was amazing. I had requests from friends to buy these cards.
Point being, it was a very simple process with great results. I do this with PB brushstroke stamps too.

Would love to see a photo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnsyrView Post

I love blended backgrounds but have never been very successful at the technique until I tried the Distress Oxide. Now I get beautiful results. I have had a couple of drier pads though. Very annoying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 12:14 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

Uh oh! Please say it isn't so! I have 4 (maybe 5?) dozen of the distress oxide inks, still in their shrink wrap. I bought them over the last couple years, planning on eventually getting around to using them. I'll be just sick if they're dry when I get around to opening them. I thought they'd be safe since they were unopened. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 01:25 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Sunset blending with Oxides - now on my list of things to try
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 02:06 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I use them 90% of the time for clean and simple cards - for stamping, backgrounds, die cuts - often without water. Agree with Sue that re-inkers are a good idea.

A class at an LSS was terrific, but some online videos are helpful too. Justine Hovey, Jennifer McGuire, others have good ones, if you ever decide to revisit them.
Reply With Quote Likes