Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2019, 04:22 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Die Storage

I got an email this a.m. on this. Looks promising.

The Desk Maid Die File from Totally-Tiffany - YouTube
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, if you split sets up or don’t have tons of sets, really nice, and works with her system of how to catalog everything, for those who do that (I don’t happen to). She had asked for feedback when she was developing it, which was also nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Ooh, that looks neat! Easy to use, too.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Yes, if you split sets up or don’t have tons of sets, really nice, and works with her system of how to catalog everything, for those who do that (I don’t happen to). She had asked for feedback when she was developing it, which was also nice.

I keep my dies that match a stamp set with the stamps, but I have three plastic containers of dies that don't have a matching stamps, so I ordered two of these plus the extra magnetic strips. Probably overkill, but I wanted to get the introductory prices. I also have my eyes on downsizing in the next couple of years and trying to consolidate into one large Kallax with the attached table and an Alex or two, so these will take care of my dies in one cube.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I think it looks great. But since I sort by theme, sometimes I’d have to move a bunch of dies when new ones were purchased to make room on the correct sheet.

I just know even if I left room I’d end up needing more space or wanting to shift them. I also like having the name/#. (Though with her cataloging system, that would be in the catalog.) Then again, I’m actually culling through dies to have fewer.

But I like the small Container Store “Pure” bins my dies are in, two in an Expedit cube, lightweight but tough, not many magnetic sheets, in 5x5” sturdy pockets with cardstock for stability.

I hope you post photos when you switch - it’s such a neat system, and seems taylor made for your future Kallax plans.

Last edited by bjeans; 04-14-2019 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Cool concept, but takes up too much real estate for me to be happy about it. I've finally landed on a way to corral all of my dies that's working, so I'm going to stick with it (at least for now, lol). Thanks for sharing, though - it is pretty cool!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Same, Sue, and I can't imagine how heavy that would get when you fill it up with steel!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Interesting point. The Kallax shelf weight limit is supposedly 29 pounds, and the case weighs about 15? So that leaves 14 pounds of dies. (“Supposedly” because manufacturers are known to lower weight limits some since they know people will push the limit.)

We have a 2x4 Expedit with each cube packed with vinyl record albums and there’s been no sagging after many years. And I had a 5x5 Expedit with almost all cubes packed with fusible glass. So guessing weight won’t be an issue, or moving it since it’s meant to be stationary with just the sheets to pull out.

The size of the storage sheets is more a concern for me. My die cutting station is also the computer desk, so holds a monitor. I push it back, but I may pull out a number of die pockets when deciding which to use or to combine sets. The large sheets would take up much more room, though I guess they could be left in the case. Just not the best fit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 02:17 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I keep my dies in their original (indestructable) packing and store those packages standing up in a bin from the Dollar Tree that is about 6” x 10”. It’s tidy, portable and compact. It cost a whole $1. I have more money for the really good stuff.
I just don’t see the point of spending a ton of money on storage options, when there are fine ones that cost almost nothing.
(Tiny dies that came in celophane get stored in tough plastic cd envelopes that I already had.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendelView Post
I keep my dies in their original (indestructable) packing

.)

What dies come In indestructible packaging?? Sounds intriguing. The only really tough packaging I’ve found is from Ellen Hutson.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Rebecca, most of my dies are from Spellbinders, sizzix and darice. Most all of them come in that super-tough clamshell packaging, and Spellbinders heat-seals theirs, so you have to cut the edges of the packing off. At least Sizzix and Darice just staple theirs closed, so it’s easier to use. Darice even includes a magnetic sheet in their die packaging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I too kept my dies is original packaging... until recently. I found some zip lock bags that are the perfect size for putting the Spellbinder dies cardboard insert and all into. I have been glueing magnetic sheeting where the double sided tape is and then just slipping the whole set into a zip bag.

I thought the plastic packaging it came in was thin enough but WOW what a difference it made in the amount of storage space they needed.

BTW I bought the bags at a local office supply store, no special online ordering needed although it may be cheaper that way. Mine happened to left over from non craftyness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

And if someone really wants to save space and have less weight, the magnetic sheet can often/sometimes be eliminated from the pocket. Some companies’ dies come loose in packaging, and there are videos of Jennifer McGuire, Therese Calvird (Australia), others, who can be seen taking dies out of pockets without mag sheets. It does not hurt the die. The dies don’t have sharp edges like knives do.

I keep some dies on mag sheets - like if there are lots of little fussy ones or they’re nesting/infinity dies. That’s what JM does too. Guess who copied who. ; )

I’m not saying this is how it *should* be done. It’s simply personal preference, vanilla chocolate strawberry. (Vanilla please.)

I just have sensed that some folks, especially newbies, assuming adding magnetic sheets is mandatory, and it’s not. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

SNIP

But I like the small Container Store “Pure” bins my dies are in, two in an Expedit cube, lightweight but tough, not many magnetic sheets, in 5x5” sturdy pockets with cardstock for stability.

SNIP
I also have the Expedit cube (2 2x4 cube units) and I use the Container store "Multi-Purpose Bins" they sell for my die sets.

I placed each die set (except those that come with stamps which are stored with their respective stamp sets) into its own zipper bag. The bags I usually use are the 6"x8" 4mil zipper bags. I bought them in bulk from Amazon.

I chose the zipper bag style because I'm a klutz and with my luck, any itty bitty pieces would fall out & be lost forever--due to my one dog eating everything that falls on the floor.

I use the "large" size of the multi-purpose bins and can fit 2 side by side. I can flip through the sections divided by tall tabbed cardstock pieces that I labeled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JannaramaView Post
I also have the Expedit cube (2 2x4 cube units) and I use the Container store "Multi-Purpose Bins" they sell for my die sets.

I placed each die set (except those that come with stamps which are stored with their respective stamp sets) into its own zipper bag. The bags I usually use are the 6"x8" 4mil zipper bags. I bought them in bulk from Amazon.

I chose the zipper bag style because I'm a klutz and with my luck, any itty bitty pieces would fall out & be lost forever--due to my one dog eating everything that falls on the floor.

I use the "large" size of the multi-purpose bins and can fit 2 side by side. I can flip through the sections divided by tall tabbed cardstock pieces that I labeled.
Oh neat - I have to go to The Container Store to find a container for dried meal worms :shock: so will look at them

Are your Amazon zipper bags like baggie ziplocks? Or actual zippers?

My Expedit is also a 2x4, placed horizontally and on casters, not that I move it. My printer is on top on a lazy Susan since the feed for some types of paper is in the back of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Oh neat - I have to go to The Container Store to find a container for dried meal worms :shock: so will look at them

Are your Amazon zipper bags like baggie ziplocks? Or actual zippers?
These are "generic" type Ziploc baggies.

Plymor 6" x 8", 4 Mil (Pack of 100) Heavy Duty Plastic Reclosable Zipper Bags https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZZY99K..._HCEVCb1WX3TRE

The 4 Mil is sturdier than than regular sandwich baggies. I also bought some in 5" x 8" 4 Mil & 8" x 8" 4 Mil. I ended up not needing the 8" square so I use that size for food storage now opposed to craft storage.

I originally bought the 8" square size to transfer my CTMH stamp sets out of those hard opaque plastic envelopes with the snaps.

I changed my mind after seeing a video of altering those envelopes with snaps into envelopes with slits. I removed the snaps & cut slits & it's amazing the amount of space I saved by doing that. I went from 4 X-Narrow 2 rail Elfa drawers down to 3 drawers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I use similar bags from Dollar Tree. They do not list the ml thickness, but they are thicker than a name-brand sandwich bag. The brand is Surefresh and they are 7" x 8" and have 22 in a box. So, for $5 + tax you can have 110 bags. I use them for dies (magnet on thin chipboard from dsp pack) and for sorting 6x6 dsp, and other such things. There is also a snack size that is 3.5" x5 7/8" and they are useful for odd bits (narrow dies/embossing folders) and also for snack portions! They are the same thickness.

Last edited by brookskaren; 04-29-2019 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: wonky spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2019, 05:34 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=bjeans;

system, and seems taylor made for your future Kallax plans.[/QUOTE]
Do you have a photo of your Pure Box system you can share?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

I don’t have a photo though will try to grab a shot. But it’s the same as Jennifer McGuire’s system, just with lighter weight, shorter bins - 3-5/8” tall - which lets me see into them a little easier because where I”m stubby.

I use the medium Pure Box: 6-1/8" x 9" x 3-5/8" h
https://www.containerstore.com/s/pur...uctId=10035361

Pocket flaps are kept open and upright since dies usually aren’t taken anywhere, just moved about 1-2 feet from Expedit to my computer desk. The pockets are 5” square and stiffer than other pockets, so tall dies rest against the open flap.

A piece of white CS is inserted into pockets with a sample or extra die cuts on one side and dies on the other. When I used a manual die cutting machine, sandwich recipes were in the pocket too. Sometimes the cardboard packaging is used instead of CS, mostly because I’m not caught up with labeling, and the packaging has the die info.

But Frig Bins (used for stamps) and the ones Jannarama uses or others would work well too. If you want a link to JM’s system, just yell.

The Expedit cube I use is divided into four sections like a + sign, using a long-retired Ikea insert, so bins must be narrow. And a double-wide bin would be too heavy to easily move from cubby to desk while seated, mostly using one hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2019, 05:33 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I had a light bulb moment recently;

I have some basic shapes in more than one size when it dawned on me the other day "why do I keep my 2 circle sets for example in separate bags". I always grab both, determine which set works best, use it, then put both back so why not put them in the same zip bag. Both circle sets are still on their original inserts with magnetic sheeting but now I have them facing opposite of each other. Now I can just flip a bag over to determine which set I need.

It was such a "well duh" for me but it took years for it to occur to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I had a light bulb moment recently;

I have some basic shapes in more than one size when it dawned on me the other day "why do I keep my 2 circle sets for example in separate bags". I always grab both, determine which set works best, use it, then put both back so why not put them in the same zip bag. Both circle sets are still on their original inserts with magnetic sheeting but now I have them facing opposite of each other. Now I can just flip a bag over to determine which set I need.

It was such a "well duh" for me but it took years for it to occur to me.

I did a similar thing with my nested circles and nested round scallop dies. Except that I rarely use the scallop dies so I forgot that I had them on the back of my circle die set! Took two days of looking for them before I figured it out..haha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2019, 05:36 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I did a similar thing with my nested circles and nested round scallop dies. Except that I rarely use the scallop dies so I forgot that I had them on the back of my circle die set! Took two days of looking for them before I figured it out..haha!
:lol: I have those kind of moments, yesterday looking for a specific stamp in fact. I especially have them right after reorganizing. I can see where something used to be but where it is after finding "the perfect spot" for it always take some searching.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
:lol: I have those kind of moments, yesterday looking for a specific stamp in fact. I especially have them right after reorganizing. I can see where something used to be but where it is after finding "the perfect spot" for it always take some searching.
Yeah...I have done that A LOT! It's to the point now that my husband's standard reply to "Have you seen ________?" is "You organized it." He's hilarious, that one...

Reply With Quote Likes