View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #10
Kendel
Inking Addict

This is such an interesting discussion. I hadn’t heard of SU until I had been stamping a long time. Once I heard of SU, i was pretty shocked by their prices and have never bought much from them. Reading your stories, I understand better how people can be so brand loyal. I understand what you mean about being overwhelmed.

I think Elle’s advice about waiting is essential. Other advice I would add to that is:

Shop less.

Figure out and shop your style, rather than looking at EVERYTHING. (For example, I don’t like “cute kids and animal” stamps, so I avoid companies tha sell a lot of them.)

Avoid everything having to do with “New Releases”. You don’t need to tempt yourself with NEW. If you get notifications about them, unsubscribe, etc.

Avoid sales, especially clearance sales. I have had to deal with the feeling of obligation to buy during clearance sales.

Shop your own stamps more. Play around more with what you have.

Decide where there are specific gaps in your collection that you need to fill. I’m still (casually) looking for just the right frame stamp. Shop focused on that gap.

Shop other people’s stamps, by looking at their cards online. If you see a stamp that would fill a gap in your stamper’s wardrobe, find out what it is and put it in your waiting list.

Depending on how you function, go to a stamp convention, and shop. You get a great idea of what is out there. Preshop the vendors on line, so you can decide where to focus. Make a list and mark the exhibit hall map. Set aside your cash for the day (no credit cards or checks) and go. The entrance fee is a bit much! About $10, but that covers your shipping fees and upbuying, if you were to shop online.

Limit your set of techniques, which limits the supplies you “need”. (I have decided I love the look of watercolor with stamps and find it no more work than using markers or pencils, and I believe it’s more economical. I’m focusing on that and feeling stupid about all the water based markers and pencils I HAD to have, even though they weren’t the most expensive. I don’t want to mess with other types of paints and pastes and stuff, and I refuse to feel guilty or like ikm missing out.j

Pulling out the big guns: set yourself a budget. Whoa! Nothing helps you refine what you love quite like a budget.

Most emportantly, play with the stamps you have and wear them out. Enjoy them a lot!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!