Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What non electric die cutting machine besides...

I know this question have been asked before but the technology seems to be ever evolving so...

What die cutting machine besides Crafters Companion or Sizzix would you recommend these days and why? I am so confused. FYI, I am not interested in a computerized cutter like Brothers.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2019, 06:30 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I don't have the funds for a new machine but I'm hearing good things about the Spellbinders Platinum, with its wider platform and ability to fold up.

Spellbinders - Machines and Accessories
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Well I like my old Sizzix Big Kick (Big Shot), but if you want something different you could check out Jennifer McGuire's blog. She gives recommendations each year on tools, and all kinds of things. I'm not sure if she has tested a die-cutting machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 03:03 AM   #4  
sbd
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the We R Memory Evolution Advantage. I bought the motor for it, but it can be used manually, too. I like it because it isn't too heavy and folds to make a smaller footprint. I don't have a lot of room. Guess it will be my go to manual cutter when I can't get cuttlebug plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Stacy, here’s the latest Jennifer McGuire review. Manual machines are at the bottom. Electric (not electronic/computerized like the Brother) are at the top.

Die Cutting Machine Review - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Not an every day machine, but the tiny Sidekick that she mentions has been surprisingly useful for small dies. The handle motion is very smooth and easy, given that I bought a Gemini Junior electric machine due to hand pain when cranking manual machines. (I bought the white one on sale.)

Last edited by bjeans; 04-17-2019 at 03:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 04:06 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the replies. So far it seems my only options other that the 2 companies I have eliminated are Spellbinder or We Are Memory Keepers.

Anyone else want to chime in with a NON Sizzix or Crafters Companion recommendation?

Bjeans I'll be sure to check out the video, thxs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 04:21 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I don’t think there are many (any?) other companies here. Jennifer McGuire likes the Spellbinders Platinum 6 - she writes about it on her blog at link above and uses it in some videos.

Just my take so take it with a grain of salt - I’d be cautious about any WRMK (aka American Crafts) tool with moving parts, read reviews on impartial sites and wait to see how it’s doing over the long haul, including customer service response to problems. (I’m not ruling out that it could be a really good machine.)

Last edited by bjeans; 04-17-2019 at 04:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2019, 04:43 AM   #8  

Has anyone used or seen this machine? From searching, it seems like it's being marketed more to quilters. The adjustable pressure is an interesting feature.

http://craftersedge.com/shop/die-cut...hine-supplies/
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 05:44 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Have not heard of it but did a quick search and found it is made by Tattered Lace. It was introduced during/on Create and Craft's anniversary celebration and Joanns carries it I think. I'm going to have to do a search on YouTube when I get time, hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #10  

It's actually designed by the company that owns Dies Direct, Cheery Lynn, and Maker's Movement. Looks like I may have the opportunity to review one - would that interest anyone?
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 05-07-2019 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Yes, yes, yes Please.

I thought of another question for those who own multiple machines. Which machines' cutting plates seem to hold up longer or is there not that much difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #12  

The one from Tattered Lace is just "Crossover" - I'm assuming there are some improvements to the "II". Not sure.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
It's actually made by the company that owns Dies Direct, Cheery Lynn, and Maker's Movement. Looks like I may have the opportunity to review one - would that interest anyone?

Another, yes PLEASE!
I really like the adjustable pressure. I guess that's what we do with plates, shims, etc, but it would be nice if this machine is easier to use where that is concerned. I have a Gemini, Jr. and getting the pressure right on different kinds of embossing folders can be tricky.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Yes, yes, yes Please.

I thought of another question for those who own multiple machines. Which machines' cutting plates seem to hold up longer or is there not that much difference.

I know you've ruled out Crafter's Companion; however, I purchased the Gemini Jr when it first came out, and I've really put it to the test, including mass producing Christmas cards, and so far no warping of the plates! I've been real happy with the performance of this machine. I own a Cuttlebug, Vagabond, and a Big Shot Plus, and I pull out my Gemini Jr the most, then the Big Shot. Ive been very happy with them both as far as plate warping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2019, 02:12 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Spellbinders Platinum that I bought last fall. The Cuttlebug was getting too hard on my arthritic hands and arms. The Spellbinders rarely needs more than one pass over a die, even most of the very intricate ones. The plates do warp, however, and I need to use my new ones now. However, I have used these plates a lot. And I do love that the platform is 8 1/2 inches wide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2019, 02:50 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

New stock of the Tonic Tangerine will be available again for sale later this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all the input everyone , it is much appreciated! I'm leaning towards getting the Spellbinder Grand, really excited about the larger opening. Now I just need it to go on sale or something.

Can you buy new plates locally at big box stores or are they an online only purchase usually. Just curious if I should get on an extra set when I purchase the machine or wait until I need them.

again thanks, y'all are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyMartinView Post
New stock of the Tonic Tangerine will be available again for sale later this year.
I've never seen this machine before.

I need a new machine to use just for my steel rule dies and I LOVE orange.

Hmmmmm................
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyMartinView Post
Yep. I called Tonic Studios USA and they said they had a run on them and ran out of stock. They're looking to June/July to get more in.

I love mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I’ve had my Big Kick for over 10 years and it’s still going strong. I only on my third set of plates even though I die cut constantly. I do have and use the magnetic plate - best investment ever!
I broke down a bought a Vagabond 2 late last year. The plates are longer and eventually I will buy a magnetic board for that machine but they are $$$$!
I love both machines and use the big kick when I go on crops, but use the Vagabond (electric) when at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Spellbinders Grand Calibur (teal) and a Big Shot. I seem to reach for the Grand the most, but maybe because where it is on the table. It is nice to not worry about the paper size when using the Grand since it takes a full sheet. The Big Shot you have to make sure that the paper fits in the opening. Both cut about the same for me.

The teal Grand Calibur is supposed to be stronger than the raspberry colored machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

May I ask why you ruled out Sizzix? I like my Big Kick and the larger platform Big Shot plus. Though lately because of my wrist I have been using my Gemini's more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Years ago when I started embossing and die cutting I ended up with a Cuttlebug from Michael's. Right from the start I said they should be adjustable like the old fashioned wringer washers...remember these?

I don't like playing with shims. When my Cuttlebug broke, due to too big a shim, I looked into the Crossover which was fairly new. There were several complaints about a problem it was having and the company was not very accommodating so I backed away and got a Sizzix Big Kick. I'm still frustrated with shimming all the time but it works well otherwise. I would love to see a good quality machine come out that is adjustable. Maybe the new one Dini has a chance to review has the bugs worked out...so yes to a review please! There was a European model as I recall that was adjustable too.

Adjustable tension seems like such a simple and sensible solution and it can't be that difficult to manufacture a quality machine that has it. Yet there are so many of the other style available. I just scratch my head and wonder???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

this would be why... The Fate of Coordinating Dies? - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the Cuttlebug. it was the first one I got. it is a little workhorse and just about worked itself to the bone yard, but it still keeps going. it's about 10 years old.

My next one was spellbinders grand calibur in the dark pink color. it's about 8 years old. I haven't been real impressed with it. it takes a lot of shims to get the delicate ones to cut and even then, the cuts are less that desirable. I just about wear my arms out, so it just collects dust. I really wish I had the money back that I spent on this one, because I never got enough decent cuts from it to feel like it even began to pay for itself. I don't know if they ever do pay for themselves, but when you have fun, that to me is the biggest and best part of the payoff. I never had fun with this one. maybe it was a dud to begin with, I don't know.

The final one I have is one of the sizzix big shot, it's floweredy teal and of course it's a big shot, so it's a workhorse too. it's about 4 years old. this is definitely a pleasure to work with.

I have seen some of the other manual cutters, but haven't checked into them yet. but I definitely will when and if my cuttlebug dies all together. I use it mostly for my steel rule dies from sizzix. it still cuts them perfectly and as long as it does, then I'm happy.

I was a Joann's on tuesday, made a quick run into the store and sashay thru the craft area and paper cutting and out of the corner of my eye, I seen a pinkish machine, appeared to be a cuttlebug, but not the usual color. I was in a hurry, but I have been kicking myself wishing I had stopped for just a second at least. It wasn't on sale, I don't think it was anyway. I don't know if it's a "new" machine on the market, or what. Maybe someone here knows. I may check into it before they go completely extinct. hahaha

It would be nice to have info on all that is available to us now, just to see what the options are and to be able to make well informed choices.

interesting topic and lots of good info. hugs, patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Patty, Cuttlebugs are still available on Amazon and eBay! . (On eBay search on “cuttlebug machine,” not just cuttlebug. And plates are around too, though self healing cutting mats work too.

I now use a Gemini junior due to hand pain when cranking, but have kept one of my two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

rosetreasures my Joanns has the rose cuttlebugs. That may be what you were seeing. Blue can be obtained from their web site.
I love my Cuttlebug and as you said it's a work horse. I use self healing mats in place of the cutting plates. I might just buy another machine to have on hand lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the info bjeans and hobbysue!!! I think the cuttlebug is truly a great machine and I would love to one on standby for when this does finally call it quits. hahaha I will check into these. thanks again!! patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 04:58 AM   #29  

I posted the review for the Crossover II here! I had a lot of fun testing out all the things it can do.

Dina Kowal Creative: Product Review: Crossover II Fabric & Paper Cutting System

Also, from the company rep, since we were wondering:
"Some people may have heard of the Crossover machine - that was an older machine by Tattered Lace. Similar concept, just some gear and other technical improvements based on customer feedback."
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

thanks for the fabulous review Dina!!! it really looks like a nice machine!! patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Great review!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you... including the left info.

Hubby is going to have a fit over the price but a die cutting machine is an essential piece of equipment these days and one that performs well will make me a happier and therefore easier to live with person. That's my story anyway ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Another happy owner of the original Cuttlebug for at least 20 years. A friend broke a C plate, so that is the only plate I've had to replace. I did buy a set of B plates to keep for embossing and the two original B plates get rotated for die cutting. If it dies someday, I will probably buy another Cuttlebug, as my only complaint about mine has been corrected with the newer models--a wider opening. I like that it folds up so the Spellbinders Platinum may be an option, as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2019, 04:52 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Another happy owner of the original Cuttlebug for at least 20 years. A friend broke a C plate, so that is the only plate I've had to replace. I did buy a set of B plates to keep for embossing and the two original B plates get rotated for die cutting. If it dies someday, I will probably buy another Cuttlebug, as my only complaint about mine has been corrected with the newer models--a wider opening. I like that it folds up so the Spellbinders Platinum may be an option, as well.

I too am a big fan of the Cuttlebug. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you did know the Cuttlebug has been discontinued right? Makes me sad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
I too am a big fan of the Cuttlebug. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you did know the Cuttlebug has been discontinued right? Makes me sad

No, I did not know that! Makes me sad, too. SU's Big Shot has also been discontinued. Gee, I'm way older than either of them. Hope I don't get discontinued so easily!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Cranking that cuttlebug and fitting for pressure became a literal pain to me. I purchased the Empress by Anna Griffin and bought the larger plates as well. It is a dream for me! The original magnetic mat was white and became warped because a paper top was applied for measurements. Now there is a black plate that has been great. I run that machine weekly with the dies and embossing folders from many companies. There are even instructions online for using the new 3D embossing folders. I also got a great deal on the Gemini junior and use that for portability with its case. That only takes the smaller plates. My Big Shot plus is reserved for those Bigz dies. The electric machine Empress bundle is on HSN and there are specials from time to time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I love love love my Evolution Advanced die cutter!

I had a Big Shot but the handle kept coming off. Sizzix sent me a repair kit but I encountered the same problem.

I looked & decided on the Evolution Advanced. I like that it 1. folds up,

2. the handle can be removed & stored in the machine,

3. the self healing mats,

4. the motor attachment,

I can adjust the pressure for embossing, which is a great option.

I wish there were shorter mats, & platforms at times when I am cutting little items, but I solved that problem by cranking the handle just past the end of the die or embossing folder then reverse the cranking.

I've had one minor problem with the motor not being level so it appears as if it could snap off the gear the handle used. I solved that problem by adhering a piece of a foam sheet to the bottom of the motor & it's all level now. Easy fix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 05:56 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Thanks again for all the responses. I ended up getting the larger Spellbinder Platinum and am loving it, cuts like a dream. Dies that I could never cut properly in the BS not come out perfect with only ONE pass. Woohoo!! Yes it is larger and heavier but it has a dedicated spot and because of weight and size, it doesn't move and wiggle around as I'm cutting something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Thanks again for all the responses. I ended up getting the larger Spellbinder Platinum and am loving it, cuts like a dream. Dies that I could never cut properly in the BS not come out perfect with only ONE pass. Woohoo!! Yes it is larger and heavier but it has a dedicated spot and because of weight and size, it doesn't move and wiggle around as I'm cutting something!

While it may not move and wiggle around, maybe you move and wiggle a bit in happiness at how perfect this is for you! Congrats!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2019, 05:14 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

While it may not move and wiggle around, maybe you move and wiggle a bit in happiness
Oh yes I do!!
Reply With Quote Likes