Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping Up Trimmer & Big Shot

SU is retiring the paper trimmer, accessories and Big Shot. The blog post I saw said SU is working on a new die machine but won't be available in the 2019-2020 catalog. SU is researching and designing a new trimmer and that will take some time.

I think the trimmer came out in the fall of 2012. That's not that long ago ((IMO) to be discontinuing it already. How many trimmers do they think we need?

Guess I better be ordering more blades before you can't get them anymore. I don't intend to buy another trimmer. This one works fine for me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My demo said the trimmer is going because too many people are having trouble with the blades, that it wasn't worth the trouble. She told me the Big Shot is going because SU has been having so much trouble with Sizzix, that they are going to change their die manufacturer. She mentioned something about the new dies will need shims to work in a Big Shot. She didn't mention anything about the Ellison lawsuits so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with that decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had two of the trimmers. The first one was great for a year, then it was awful. I replaced everything, and it just tore paper. So I bought another one. It was bad within months. I went back to my trusty orange Fiskars.

As far as the Big Shot, I love it and will keep using mine, but I am mostly a hobby demo and did not want to get my few customers excited for something that would discontinue. Sale-a-Bratiom was particularly ridiculous, and I've been upset myself by all the delays and cancelled items. I think it's time to look at another manufacturer of dies, and I would really like to see them made in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

We are long overdue for a trimmer update. The current one is a great size but it does have its issues with blades and lining up straight. I am looking forward to seeing what is coming later.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 06:26 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Does anyone know who the new die manufacturer will be?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I’ve been contemplating why SU would drop Sizzix as a manufacturer of their dies and the obvious conclusion is that they are trying to stop to theft of their stamps/dies in the China market.
I’ve noticed on EBay that most all of the Sizzix dies get copied by scammers - not just SU dies, but other Sizzix dies as well. It is totally unstoppable if the dies are manufactured in China - too many chances for ideas to be stolen.

My guess is that they are going to go with an American manufacturer, where they can have closer control over their designs. It would also allow them to do get product made/delivered faster - this would cut down on the unavailable products that they have been flooded with recently. My guess is only a guess, but Captain Obvious thinks it makes sense! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 972 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
My demo said the trimmer is going because too many people are having trouble with the blades, that it wasn't worth the trouble. She told me the Big Shot is going because SU has been having so much trouble with Sizzix, that they are going to change their die manufacturer. She mentioned something about the new dies will need shims to work in a Big Shot. She didn't mention anything about the Ellison lawsuits so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with that decision.

I'm not sure where she is getting her info, but they didn't express any of those reasons for discontinuing the products. They sound like good and possibly valid reasons, don't get me wrong, but just wanted to point out that SU didn't express them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 972 Likes on 472 Posts

For the dies, they told us was that they were cutting out the middle man and going straight to the manufacturer. They didn't say it specifically, but it's likely they will still be produced in China.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been wanting the trimmer for a few months and this announcement made me order it today. It will join my Tonic guillotine trimmer and orange Fiskars trimmer. I have a Big Shot (non S.U.) and a Cuttlebug....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #10  

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
For the dies, they told us was that they were cutting out the middle man and going straight to the manufacturer. They didn't say it specifically, but it's likely they will still be produced in China.
Not necessarily. There is at least one American manufacturer of thin dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Has anyone tried to place an order today for the SU replacement mats, those skinny channels that the blade slides thru? Item # 131375, listed in current catalog for $4, but when I input that number it says not valid??? So I've got replacement blades coming, but no mat/channel...TIA..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Same here, could not get the strips which I really need because I am using the rotary blade they discontinued awhile ago. Still can't find the rotary blade anywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
Not necessarily. There is at least one American manufacturer of thin dies.

They didn't specifically say China, but they did say the dies would continue to be manufactured overseas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Could this be the new big shot possibly? It folds up like the cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobysmom4380View Post
Could this be the new big shot possibly? It folds up like the cuttlebug.

That's their newest machine as far as I know, but it was introduced in 2017.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Ok that makes sense, I didn't know it had already been out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I’ve been contemplating why SU would drop Sizzix as a manufacturer of their dies and the obvious conclusion is that they are trying to stop to theft of their stamps/dies in the China market.
I’ve noticed on EBay that most all of the Sizzix dies get copied by scammers - not just SU dies, but other Sizzix dies as well. It is totally unstoppable if the dies are manufactured in China - too many chances for ideas to be stolen.

My guess is that they are going to go with an American manufacturer, where they can have closer control over their designs. It would also allow them to do get product made/delivered faster - this would cut down on the unavailable products that they have been flooded with recently. My guess is only a guess, but Captain Obvious thinks it makes sense! ;)
I wish that were the case. :(

China copies dies (and stamps) as soon as photos are on line, and can crank them out very quickly. Where the dies are manufactured doesn’t matter, unfortunately. Dina has seen her art copied, and Birch Press manufactures their dies in the U.S. but has two employees who track their stolen designs on eBay and Amazon in attempts to have them unlisted.

Amazon will ban the company, but the parent company will have so many dummy companies, they just use another name/address. It’s like mushrooms popping up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, I'm so glad I'm not a demo. So the Big Shot, cutter and eventually all their current dies will be discontinued and demos won't be able to use them at workshops? They will have to invest in a whole new system? That sucks. I'm still mad they discontinued the cutting shears years ago with no replacement since.

Learned years ago to get tools, glues, etc. elsewhere, although I did buy their Big Shot in 2009. Skipped the newer trimmer since my Fiskars with the wire guide has worked fine for 10 years and I can buy the blades locally with a coupon. Thought the SU blades were odd shaped and inconvenient to purchase.

Seems like SU is counting on demo purchases more and more. Who else would replace perfectly usable tools with some new SU version?

Last edited by Cartermrc; 04-11-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #19  

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
Wow, I'm so glad I'm not a demo. So the Big Shot, cutter and eventually all their current dies will be discontinued and demos won't be able to use them at workshops? They will have to invest in a whole new system? That sucks. I'm still mad they discontinued the cutting shears years ago with no replacement since.

Learned years ago to get tools, glues, etc. elsewhere, although I did buy their Big Shot in 2009. Skipped the newer trimmer since my Fiskars with the wire guide has worked fine for 10 years and I can buy the blades locally with a coupon. Thought the SU blades were odd shaped and inconvenient to purchase.

Seems like SU is counting on demo purchases more and more. Who else would replace perfectly usable tools with some new SU version?

We will still be able to use any dies/embossing folders where the designs are not retired. Due to the change in suppliers though, the placement of the cutting edge will be slightly different. New supplier style will only be sent to customers as the current style stock is depleted. So not all of the dies and EF's are going to be retired just because SU has changed suppliers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #20  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I wonder if the lawsuits Sizzix has been recently filing played any part in SU!'s decision to end the relationship. SU!'s dies were made by Sizzix so I can't think of a reason why the lawsuits would play a part, but both things occuring simultaneously have me wondering.

As for the trimmer, does anyone know if blades for it are available elsewhere? I have been using a guillotine trimmer for years now and it is so nice not to have to buy blades, or have them be discontinued. That is one factor I always consider before purchasing things that require refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Stampin up trimmer with rotary blade. I love it!

I also purchased extra rotary blades, channel insert, and cutting arm. Before they sold all of them out a couple of yeArs ago.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2019, 03:53 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post

This is the MLM way. The demonstrators, reps, advisors or whatever they are called are always the target customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I scored at Michael’s in Canada. I popped in with my 45% off coupon and took a chance I might find a little something ......can’t leave without using it right?
Went down the aisle where Sizzex was and EUREKA what do I spy but a row of BS cutting plates.
I picked up two as I already had two new ones for back up I picked up last year.
Started to chat with stranger over card making who had not heard the news so she promptly got hers.
I never had expected to find these, as while in Az went out next day after cuttlebug made their announcement of retirement and their plates were nowhere to be found.

I would not be surprised at all if new machine looks like the bug in appearance like folding up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm a hobby demo and I think most folks nowadays have a couple different trimmers on hand. I know I do. Not only do I have the SU Trimmer, (that I've had since it came out) but I also have the Tim Holtz 8.5" Comfort Trimmer (like the Guillotine, just smaller). I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the TH one and how it can cut through thicker items that just don't stand a chance with the SU one.

As for the Big Shot, I was lucky enough to be given a nearly new one about 6 years ago from a neighbor. Honestly, I got tired of the plates warping so quickly and sometimes having to pass them through 2-3 times to get a cut that it put me off dies for awhile. It's just sitting in the back corner of my craft room, unused.

Last year, I happened onto a bargain online for the Tonic Studios Tangerine and let me tell you, I use it daily and the plates haven't warped yet. I'm still on the set it came with. It is heavy duty, sturdy and cuts like a dream. Their dies are wonderful and if there's any paper chips left in small holes, I just 'drop' them on the plate and they pop right out. I've said it before and its true...Tonic dies and the Tangerine are quality through and through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I went looking for the Tangerine, and it's sold out everywhere in the US that I could see. You can get plates and such for it, but not the machine itself. Looks pretty great, though!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I went looking for the Tangerine, and it's sold out everywhere in the US that I could see. You can get plates and such for it, but not the machine itself. Looks pretty great, though!

Could it be on line in the UK? I’ve purchased items from a couple shops - not recently - and shipping sometimes wasn’t any more than in the U.S., though being more bulky than dies/stamps/small items, maybe that wouldn’t be the case for the Tangerine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 04:23 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelleyView Post
This is the MLM way. The demonstrators, reps, advisors or whatever they are called are always the target customers.

Agree in general, though if there’s a quality issue, as some well known demonstrators have said in videos, this could be different this go round.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

anyone know if Friskars blades will work in SU trimmer?
So sick of companies that won’t continue to provide a source for
Disposable items such as trimmer blades!! I spent $30 plus SH and tax 6 months ago
For a trimmer that’s obsolete as soon as I run out of blades?!?
Terrible customer service!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
anyone know if Friskars blades will work in SU trimmer?
So sick of companies that won’t continue to provide a source for
Disposable items such as trimmer blades!! I spent $30 plus SH and tax 6 months ago
For a trimmer that’s obsolete as soon as I run out of blades?!?
Terrible customer service!!!
You can order 3 packets of blades on each SU order. SU will be providing blades for the next 6 months as I recall my demo said to our group yesterday. Check with you demo and she can give you all the info on how many packages or blades can be placed on an order. I think the number will go up at some point. Also she can tell you how long SU will supply replacement blades.
I too am upset. This is my second SU trimmer I have bought. Had problems with the first trimmer and then when this new version came out I was excited because the extendable arm was all one piece where you can read the measurements better. But I have had problems with this trimmer. Two packages of replacement blades I received where the blade was not put in the plastic holder properly and would not cut paper. Also the blades are not long enough to cut thick paper, I always have to cut the paper twice. And the dreaded paper fuzz after cutting thin pattern paper. My demo told me to put a piece of computer paper down first then the paper you want to cut put on top, and that stops the fuzzies. Haven't tried it yet.

I still have an old fiskars trimmer with the rotary blade. It's at least 8 years old and going strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 67 Likes on 29 Posts

Beginning tomorrow customers are supposed to be able to order 6 packages of blades in an order. The blade issues described in the previous message are one of the key reasons that Stampin' Up! is discontinuing the trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Does this mean that SU will likely be retiring all the stamp sets that have matching dies in this next catalog? That's quite a lot of sets. Curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=maryrose;21808181]Does this mean that SU will likely be retiring all the stamp sets that have matching dies in this next catalog? That's quite a lot of sets. Curious.[/QUOTE

No. The new manufacturer will produce the dies for the sets that are carrying over into the new catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #33  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstacy2010View Post
Beginning tomorrow customers are supposed to be able to order 6 packages of blades in an order. The blade issues described in the previous message are one of the key reasons that Stampin' Up! is discontinuing the trimmer.

And a main reason I'm not ordering replacements. I truly love the design of this trimmer and will probably "save" it and the replacement parts in my stash for whenever I travel (not often). I own several trimmers that will be just as easy to use at home. And a few thst can travel well (if needed).

Last edited by TeeGeeDee; 04-14-2019 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2019, 06:27 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

I love my SU trimmer! But I am so aggravated that I cannot get replacement blades. SU has been sold out for a month now. And they are going for $45 on Ebay.

Does anyone have an ETA of when the replacement blades will be back in stock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
I love my SU trimmer! But I am so aggravated that I cannot get replacement blades. SU has been sold out for a month now. And they are going for $45 on Ebay.

Does anyone have an ETA of when the replacement blades will be back in stock?
Stay in close touch with your Demo; the blades are supposed to be back in stock July 1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstacy2010View Post
Stay in close touch with your Demo; the blades are supposed to be back in stock July 1.
Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Does anyone know who the manufacturer is or if there is a comparable blade replacement?
Reply With Quote Likes