Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member struggling

Hi all,
When I first became interested in stamping, I went out and bought ALOT of stamps without having any idea of what to do with them. I've since looked at lots of how-to pages and seen others' ideas and cards that they've made, but I can't seem to get any ideas of what I can do with the stamps I have from looking at others' ideas or creations. I've resigned myself to the fact that I don't seem to have a single creative bone in my body. lol I have to follow something exactly in order to make anything, whether it's anything, like a card, a knitted item or a recipe. Any ideas on how I can connect what I have on hand with what I see out there for inspiration? I don't dare buy any more stamps as I now have 3 totes of them that I can't seem to use. Please help if you can! Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Don't feel like you are alone - when I started stamping I was exactly the same! After some time following what others did exactly I found I was able to come up with some ideas on my own! What brand of stamps did you purchase? A lot of times if the company has a website they will have a gallery or something with ideas using their stamps. You can find ideas in the gallery here by company, and on pinterest as well. You can also take a look at the sketch challenges here on SCS - people will post what they have made following the sketch in the gallery and maybe you will find something there that can be done using stamps that you have. These are some of the things I have done, and I am sure others will have some great ideas for you too! SCS is a great place for inspiration

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Joan gsvc you good advice.

I would just add that you might find inspiration searching for a general term (such as flower or cat) and using something from your supplies that is similar in style and/or size.

Also, if you find a sketch you like that features a flower, remrmber that you could probably substitute something else (perhaps a snowflake).

Welcome to Splitcoaststampers where questions are always welcomed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

GrammaJo, don't be too hard on yourself. I am guessing that most of us started out duplicating someone else's design. It even has a name CASE - copy and share everything! Many "how to" video's and tutorials make things look super easy and look like they came up with an idea on the spur of the moment. I am sure they make the card several times away from the camera, and spent a lot of time getting the design just right. They have also been crafting for years probably.

Stamp companies have Design Teams and their role is to put their personal spin on an image. Ten Design Team members might use the one image and you will end up with 10 very different cards. These creations are for customers to CASE or take one thing from one design and add it to another.

Colour is often a mental block to creativity. These two websites are my favourite online sites to visit (even more that Pinterest).

seeds colours - Google Search

Color Palette Ideas | ColorPalettes.net

The Inspiration Challenge here at SCS on Saturdays always have great sites to visit. Also the actual IC gallery is a terrific way to see how each lady was inspired by a picture. Check out their card and also click on the link to their inspiration.

GrammyJo I hope this helps you get inky real soon. One more thought, instead of making a card, stamp several images on cardstock or copy paper and just start colouring or doodling.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,301 Likes on 936 Posts

Welcome GrammaJo..great advice by the ladies here. Pinterest also has designs you can copy. Also, Just google the name of the stamp set you want to use and it will bring up hundreds of images...usually. Just copy one you like.

I also don’t think I’m creative and was always a scrapbooker. I only started making cards about 3 years ago. I’ve learnt so much by being on this site. Just have fun and don’t worry about the end result. You will probably find that your style changes as you get more confident.

I found by doing one of the weekly challenges it was a start for me as it gave me direction. Maybe the sketch or colour challenge. Just pick up a stamp set that you love and stamp away. You will find your style. Enjoy and happy day
Monthly: MMJ Challenge….
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2019, 06:46 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Please keep the ideas and advice coming!

Thanks to everyone who responded so far. Most of the stamps I have are from stores like Joann's, A.C. Moore, etc. and I've had them a very long time. I tried to look up a couple of the companies online and either they must not be in business anymore or the stamps are so old that they don't have them featured on their web sites. I've been struggling so long with this that I've yet to even make an actual card. lol When I see cards on Pinterest or blogs, I don't even have the slightest idea of how they're made to try them myself. I think what I'm going to have to do to begin is just stamp some images and color them in, as Susie has suggested because I'm also having difficulty with coloring in some of the larger areas of some stamps, but I'll save that for another thread. lol
I've also tried to look at the galleries here for inspiration, but I haven't got any ideas from what I've seen so far. So, please if you have any other ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I am trying out a lot of what you ladies have been suggesting, but so far I still haven't gotten any ideas on my own from what I have seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #7  
Linking Queen

Hi again GrammaJo!

Are you able to share photos? If you post photos of a few stamps you would like to use, we might be able to offer more specific suggestions/inspiration.

But the best thing is to just begin, so I'm happy to teach you plan to stamp and color some images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Hi!
If searching for the specific set isn't helping you, you can also try searching the 'description of it' ; so, for example, card with small flowers, bird with balloon… You may also want to include the words "easy" or "quick" along with "handmade greeting card" to spark ideas.
One of the sites I use for layout is THIS ONE. They no longer hold challenges, but the previous layouts and samples are still accessible. Hope this helps

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2019, 04:41 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi GrammaJo. Everyone has given great advice. Just a thought - one way to learn is to CASE a card exactly, and then make it again but change just one element - a different color cardstock base. Or change the sentiment. Or move the main stamp, the focal point, from the middle to the top or side. And so on.

You’re at a disadvantage because you aren’t finding your stamps on line, and you possibly haven’t learned some “foundation” card making techniques? (That’s based on your saying you had no idea how some cards you look at are made, though keep in mind some cards would be tough for many to figure out.)

If you’re in a location near a local stamp shop (LSS), taking a basic class can help, and there are classes on line. Or maybe you’re near someone on this board and you can get together. If you’d like, let us know the area where you live.

TeeGeeDee’s advice in post #3 ccould also work well - searching for an image like one you have - say a flower - and CASEing that card while substituting your stamp.

I have a feeling you just need to get used to a basic process and you’d be fine. And by the way, you might love detailed coloring but some cardmakers aren’t into it at all (me!), so that’s not a requirement either. There’s something for everyone.

We have to walk before we can fly, and honestly, some card makers only CASE cards. Recently there was a thread here about just that. Don’t get too hung up on originality. It’s 100% fine to follow a recipe exactly, whether it’s for food or a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hi and welcome to SCS!

Agree with all this ^^^^^

I hear you. It is a LOT of information to take in. I often was overwhelmed.
If you start feeling like that, back up, and break it down. Keep it simple.

First rule: Deep breath. Don't panic.
Nothing bad is going to happen here. This is fun. Take off the pressure! There are MANY techniques out there. Many toys to play with. Over time you will learn the ones you like. Most people don't like every single one there is. We find out by trying them.

Rule 2: NO ONE can do everything. Seriously. It may look like that because people work with their strengths/what they like. Over time you will see some people never color. Some people never paint. Never use image stamps-they like die layers and so on. Right now I know it looks like we all know how to do everything. No we don't. Many of us are trying new things to us all the time!
So never be intimidated. Everyone here is REALLY REALLY NICE. They have helped me SO SO much. Everyone has to learn every technique from jump. We get it. Never be afraid to ask questions.

If you go on youtube...and ask How to xxxxx it will give you many many free short lessons. You can just save the ones you like best to review again and again. Here I went with cardmaking 101 and you get lots of choices.

You can ask for stamping, types of ink 101, paper 101, tools 101, get into specific opinions of some tools....we have that here (not to brag but there is everything here) in the tool thread, the technique thread, etc.

I can hear the same information from 5 people and ONE of them will really resonate with me. So dont give up bc one person did not make sense to you. I may have been watching bloggers like Kristina Werner much earlier than I actually could do what she was doing. I find it all builds in my mind.

Personally I took my first classes live locally. I work better that way. So if you can, try that. If not, we will walk you through it. ;)

When I started out, we worked on what were called "postcards". This is cardstock cut to A2 size. (4 1/4 x 5 1/2). You practiced on those because it helped you get used to working in that size, and if you like it, you can just stick it to a card front and have a card! Or you practice techniques and write your own notes on the back and keep it like a mini lesson page you will understand later on. Somehow messing up a postcard doesn't feel as bad as a card.

The garbage can is not your enemy. I cant tell you how many years it took me to accept that. Not because I hate defeat but b/c I hate waste. But there is a DIFFERENCE between waste and PRACTICE.

I am liking the idea a lot of finding a way to show us some of your stamps or even give us brands/stamp names. We have some good sleuths here. If you don't know how-do you have a teen in the house? They always know how. I swear one day they will rule the world from their cell phones.

Things can look a lot harder to do than they are. If you can link/point us to cards you like we can tell you what was done. (watch you pick an actual hard card and prove me a liar LOL)

When it feels like it will take forever...it wont. We promise. As you learn the basics you start picking up speed. Be patient with yourself. There are supplies and tools and techniques and concepts to learn. I would suggest you get yourself a color wheel to help you match colors for awhile till you get a feel for it. Should be cheap. Also a plastic T ruler will be good. Also cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Instead of trying to recreate cards exactly, try using card sketches. Pick out 3 or 4 that you particularly like and rotate between them to use as your starting point. Card sketches give you a basic layout or framework to get you started and they are easily adaptable for different stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions everyone! Sorry I wasn't able to answer sooner, we just found out my MIL has cancer and since then, we've been spending a lot of time going to her tests with her, as well as doctor and family meetings. She's 88 years old and in a nursing home, so we try to be there for her and with her as much as we can.
I do have a local Hobby Lobby and a Joann's, but neither one offers local classes so I've been trying to find information on line as much as I can, but it is all a bit overwhelming too. lol And yes, I've been buying my stamps and supplies at local stores like Hobby Lobby and Joann's, but I'm going to be able to start looking online as well. I see that there's so much more to choose from that way!
Does anyone have any links to good youtube channels or websites for me to look at? Whenever I try to do a search myself, so much stuff comes up that isn't what I'm looking for and I think that's part of the reason I get so overwhelmed.
I just tried to upload an image of one of the stamps I have and I couldn't because I guess I haven't made enough posts here yet. The stamp is called "Butterbean with Carrots" by Stamps Happen and I did find an image of it online if anyone would care to look it up to be able to help me. I'm trying to get some ideas for Easter cards, as well as 2 birthdays that are coming up.
As far as sketches are concerned, I did try to look at some, but they don't give the dimensions of each part, so I'm not quite sure how to make each part and then put it together.
And, no I don't have a teen in the house, my kids are all grown and gone, wish I did because they do know everything. lol
Thanks again for all your help everyone! If I'm not able to answer quickly because of what's going on, I am reading when I can and trying to learn as much as I can from you all. I'm going to go read up on CASE now, so I can learn more about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

where do you live? there are companies who do home parties, such as stampin’ up. these stamps might cost a little more, but the support you can get from having someone local to help you can be very much worth the extra expense. you can find local demonstrators on stampinup.com. i really recommend participating in a class of some sort if you can. good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

there are some great youtube videos on card making basics. Here is one that walks through how to cut the card stock for layers on cards:
Cardmaking Basics - Card Measurements and Sizes - YouTube

I also did a search in the gallery here on butterbeans with Carrots and came up with a few samples:
butterbean with carrots - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am so sorry about your MIL (hugs). Sending strength and hope.

Are there any LSS by you? (Local private stamp store) They often have classes. Try googling your town or those close to you for them...
I am sure there are basic lessons here but I am having trouble accessing them in the tutorial section-maybe someone else can?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I just got done talking with a Stampin' Up demonstrator from the next town over and she's bringing over a catalog on Saturday and told me that she'd sit down with me and show me a few things, so that's a start. I'm kind of housebound most of the time so I won't be able to get to a lot of the classes, but she's going to help me here at my house and I'll go from there.
I'm having trouble looking at card layouts and cards in the gallery because I don't know enough yet to know what size to cut the cardstock and paper, what embellishments might be used and I have no clue about most of the techniques used in making the card. None of that information is given in the gallery description of the card as far as I can see.
On a brighter note, I had no idea that you could search in the gallery for a particular card, but now I do! Now, if I could only figure out how the cards are made...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 06:05 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are loads of great videos on Youtube, many are like taking a class, they take you through all the steps from start to finish. Try searching for basic, beginning, newbie or 101 stamping to start off with some simple ideas.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 03:04 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

GrammaJo: So what if you make cards that look exactly or almost exactly like someone else's? Does it matter if what you make aren't originals? It might if you are selling them, but if not ... so what? I am in the same boat as you and I've been making cards for several years. First of all, what I've found is that even if I make a card that I've copied from someone else's card it's different because I so seldom have the same color DSP or the same shade of card stock, ink pads or ribbon or precisely the exact same floral or animal stamp or whatever. So, in that sense that alone makes my card original. Secondly, how do you know that the card you are copying is an original? People copy cards all the time. Even the Renaissance Masters copied other artists. Just have fun making cards or stamping in general. I gave up a long time ago trying to be the world's original card making genius. If I see a card I like, I make it as close as possible. It takes the guess work out of picking colors, sketches, etc. Eventually, shock of shocks, you'll find you actually will turn out an original card. Every once in a while that happens to me and I surprise the heck out of myself! Just don't force it. Go with the flow. If you add stress and pressure you won't have any fun. Just remember that there are many others of us just like you out here (or there).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pinterest and Youtube and my go-to sources for ideas. Look up Jennifer McGuire on Youtube. She had excellent, excellent videos. She also sends out a weekly newsletter with a how-to video in it. I don't have nearly the amount of stamping stuff Jennifer has, but every week, I watch her video and then go do what she's done using the stamps and dies that I do have.

Many Stampinup demonstrators have newsletters too. I can't even count how many weekly newsletters I've signed up for with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 04:43 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

That sounds great that a demo is coming over. She will get you going. My one suggestion is write everything down. You think you will remember and then you dont...even the simplest stuff. She may say you will remember...I am just saying it was what saved me. Like card sizes...I STILL have that post it note on my desk lamp for when I make cards of sizes I don't usually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 04:44 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 338 Likes on 212 Posts

You can print the sketch layout and then measure the sizes of the different layout parts. I write them on the printout and save it. I have sketches that I go back to over and over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Check out this demonstrator's video on how to cut cardstock pieces to come up with a layout for your card. The measurements are on the cardstock. Once you cut your paper and label it, you can use it to make cards.
I've also punched out paper with the punches I have so I can play around with different sentiments. I'm attaching a picture of what my templates and punches look like. I keep them in a plastic bag and take them out when I'm going to make a card. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
New member struggling-card-templates-punches.jpg  
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 06:32 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Default starting poiNt

I am far from an expert card maker, but I do enjoy it. I have found the most simple cards to make were in. I found this was a good starting place for me. the videos on You Tube for “one sheet wonder”
You don’t need to cut the complete page, just copy the measurements for one.
They seem to always be easy, and frequently use only one image and a greeting. 7
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Default Starting point. — AGAIN

That made no sense! Sure you noticed it was my first post!
I was trying to suggest going on You Tube and finding posts for One Sheet Wonder cards

You don’t need to cut the entire page, just use the measurements for one card
That appeals to you.

They are easy and usually only use one image and a greeting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I have been stamping and making cards for over 20 years and I still CASE. I may not know what technique was used to get that result, but I know enough techniques that I can achieve something similar. It sounds like you might benefit from learning some basic stamping techniques---sponging, masking, tone on tone, generation stamping, color spritzing, stamping with markers and many others. Once you get those down and use them with many different stamps, you will be able to get the "look" you want, even if it wasn't done in the way the original artist did. I've become a technique junkie and keep detailed directions in 5 different notebooks (backgrounds, texture, embellishments, fancy folds, stamping methods, etc.) Now I teach a technique each month to a class of fellow stampers. Even though I have samples for all the tables, everyone uses stamps they have brought and colors they have chosen, and most often create something far superior to what I have done! As far as what sizes to use, I think it can be important, especially if you are trying to substitute a different stamp. What I have started to do is first decide what size the card is, if it is not listed. Many cards are 4.25 x 5.50. Sometimes I enlarge/decrease the sample card on my computer, but if that isn't possible I will use a piece of paper the right size and then sketch the parts to be about that size by "eyeballing" and then measuring those pieces to use on my card. If you use a sketch from here, you can enlarge the sketch on your computer and measure it on your screen, or print it out the right size, if you have a printer. I'm very spacial, so these things are important to me, and it sounds like you might be too. As others have asked, where are you located. We may be able to put you in touch with fellow stampers. Getting an SU Demonstrator was a really good idea. She will get you started on your way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL and I know everyone here will understand if you're unable to post replies.

Don't worry that you can't create cards with the stamps you originally bought. I could have written your first sentence myself: I had a couple of the first stamps I ever bought for years and used them only once, so finally sold them. The problem isn't that you can't create or re-create cards, the problem is that you feel you must use the stamps you bought - I know, I was there myself! Just try out things that you see and like and suddenly you'll see something where you can use one of the stamps you bought. Or not - it doesn't matter, we're all guilty of stocking up with stuff we have no idea whether we'll ever use!

Good luck with your card-making.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Default On line card making site

GrammaJo
I hope I am not stepping on any toes here, but we all have been where you are at some point. I learned an awful lot by joining an on line card making site. Trough be known, I am still learning--all the time it seems.I would like to give you the name of it but I think it would be against the rules of this site and would get myself in trouble. The site I visit gives you an awful lot of information and shows you how to create the card that is displayed that day with videos. There is no cost to join so if you could find something like that you'd be making lots of varied cards in no time at all. Maybe someone else could lead you in that direction or you could find such a site through U-tube.
Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Default Card Making Site

GrammaJo,
I just read that I could send you a link, but I do not know how to do that so I am just going to give you the name of the site to go to or to do a google search for.. Search for Ginak designs.com.
Now I hope i did not misunderstand what I wrote and get myself in trouble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Dear GrammaJo,
It looks like you’ve got LOTS of great advice. I hope I don’t overwhelm you with a bit more. I started stamping, when I was a kid, and I can’t say I really have improved all that much, but I’ve learned a few things that help keep it fun. Mostly, don’t make your stamping matter overly much.

1) You can stamp on just about anything. So, take the pressure off. WHo cares, if you make a finished card yet. Get acquainted with your stamps by decorating the edges and backs of your bills and correspondance. Who cares, what it looks like. You mail it off and don’t have to look at it any more. Your power company’s mechanical envelope opener doesn’t care, either.

2) Stamp things that just don’t matter. I love to make flip books with my stamps, a $1 pack of index cards and a binder clip. You actually can do two books, because you stamp on the back sides, too. When you’re done enjoying your home made animation, you can use the index cards as grocery list and note paper.

3) Stamp other things that just don’t matter. Decorate the edges or magins of pages of phone books or catalogs. If you do the margins, you can have another flip book. Identify your personal library by doing fore edge stamping (stamping on the edges of the pages of a closed book.

4) Stamp wrapping paper or tissue. This is a great way to get to know your stamps and really gussy up a gift in fun and surprising ways. Keep it simple. You can stamp around the edge of tissue, or do a simple repeating pattern all over a sheet of plain gift wrap, or even xerox paper, if the gift is small enough. Hide smudges with ribbon.

5) Stamp yourself some matching gift tags to go with the wrapping paper, and then stamp a zillion more. I kind of get on a roll, and can’t stop sometimes.

5) Stamp the edges of your paper napkins.

6) Make a temporary lampshade sleeve that you stamp all over. Or do a bunch. Then you can try stamping the edges. Stamping in columns. Stamping in rows. Stamping in swirls. Etc.

7) Buy a pack of light-colored or white placemats at Gordon’s Foods and stamp on them. Use them, and then recycle them, when they’re dirty.

If you have a planner, figure out some stamps you can use in it. I have lots of stamps that are small enough that I use to help make my planner more useful. (I do NOT buy into the planner stamp thing. I need to get more use out of my stmps than that.)

9) Stamp your correspondence, while keeping the stakes low. You might have a stamp that could go right smack dab in the middle of the front of a horizontal-fold note card. Bam! Now write a ncie note inside.

10) Stamp more correspondence, while continuing to keep the stakes low. Stamp a row of the same stamp at the bottom of the sheet. If you want to get extra fancy, stamp flowers across the bottom and bires in flight across the top.

11) Of course, stamp the outsides of your envelopes.

Well, I hope there’s something here you can use. I think it’s more fun, though, when the stakes are low and the reward is great.

Enoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

So much great advice here. I've been EXACTLY where you are!! One thing I do for inspiration is go to this website everyday to see what challenges are going on. These help me think outside the box so to speak or just give me sketch ideas and I enter challenges and put them on my blog. http://paperplayful.blogspot.com/ Check it out and see if this helps you.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

Your Stampin Up lady should be a great help! Mine is the best at how to and ideas!!!! You will get it and be amazed at how pretty your cards will become! Really! Just do it! Accidents make great cards too! You go girl! (Prayers for you and your family, too)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

GrammaJo, I found a lady on YouTube by the name of Maymay Made It Crafts. She has a "Card Making for Beginners" video that is the most basic beginner video yet. It is from 2016. Some of the tools she mentions are OK but out of date and have been improved on greatly. So don't jump up and buy stuff just because she mentions them. There are better inks, glues and especially black inks that will work for everything. But the great thing about her video is she shows you how to use a paper cutter (tons of brands out there) to measure and make A-2 cards which are the most used size. She shows you different things you can do for a card and I think she has other basic type videos to add other helpful. If you take the card she makes in the video I suggest you stamp and cut some of your images such as animals and flowers, etc. after watching it the first time. Once you have seen the video you can use these images to replace her bird and learn to create your own card with your own idea.
Watch this video and any others you can find that are basic and use them over and over until you are comfortable with them. Good Luck and don't panic. Many good cards are made from mistakes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You can learn by "casing" others! But, another way to do it, is to JUST HAVE FUN & stamp away!!! I would say, Pick a style you like, & go for it! "Casing" a person's work that you like is so helpful. I tend to like it ALLL! LOL But, you CAN DO THIS!
One thing I remember asking when I was well into learning, I wanted someone to explain the "Card Making Theory," or the theory of arrangement on the front of a card..... It is the same as Photography. But, that might help too if you can google that. It gives you a starting point of learning, or makes you feel you're beginning in the right place. Or so I felt. IF you can find it, Paper Crafts Magazine- had an issue on Card Design--173 Tips to Design Like a Pro---The Rule of Thirds, Quiet Space, Focal Point, Color, Balance, & Movement. It is helpful to know what to look for. I would try to look for that. I like to have hard copies of whatever I have... LOL I'm old fashioned that way! ;) HOPE THIS HELPS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

At one time or another, I have used all the ideas that others have shared here, plus I have checked out cardmaking books at our local library (many times...lol!). I am glad you are in contact with a Stampin' Up demonstrator, though, because they have many wonderful card ideas that can be assembled quickly and look great! Good luck to you and prayers for your family's situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

So sorry about your M-I-L, GrammaJo. I have two thoughts about your post.

1) you mention you are a card-making newbie yet what I hear you saying is that you expect the first cards you make to be ready-to-give. That may be an unreasonable expectation and puts a lot of pressure on yourself that may be freezing you up. You should expect to PRACTICE instead until your gut tells you, I can do this, let's do one to give. And don't trash the practice cards, keep. You may find you can use something you initially created on a card you make later on down the road. You may also want to photograph or scan these practice cards, just to be able to look back and see how far you've come.

2). The suggestion of following a sketch is good but please look for sketches that include the measurements! Julee Tilman's Mojo Monday biweekly sketch is an excellent resource.

Dive in and just do one. Good Luck and Enjoy the Process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm VERY late to the party, but you've been given some excellent advice! I've been making cards for quite a while, and I will tell you exactly two things:

1) I am pretty much a one-trick pony. No fancy folds, no special techniques, no layers upon layers, very few (if any) embellishments... I tend to avoid anything that makes me "twitchy" or takes too long or causes me stress on any level, so basic it is!

2) While you're getting the hang of the whole thing, just make card "fronts", as someone else has already suggested. If they turn out great and you want to put them on a card base, then you can. If not, you only have to toss the front instead of the base and (possibly) multiple layers. Lydia (UnderstandBlue) coined the term "creating for the trash", and I do it a lot...

We all started somewhere and moved on from there. I know some people have gone back and deleted the first cards they posted here because they thought that they were ugly. I have a few from the early days that make me wonder what I was thinking, but I leave them where they are because it's part of my story.

On a personal note, I very much empathize with your MIL situation - been there, done that. Remember to take care of yourself, and good luck with all of that...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Okay, minor lie, as I'm adding a third thing: The "Butterbeans and Carrots" stamp looks rather large. Large images tend to be harder to work with - for me, at least. You might want something smaller scale while you "get your feet wet", so to speak. Okay, I'm done now...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

GrammaJo, here is another blog where she gives you measurements of sketch cards plus she makes several cards from one paper collection. Wish I'd learned that way from the get-go. Use up more paper/card stock, less scraps.

Kristie Marcotte's The Best Things in Life are Pink blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

I think my problem may be more that none of the stamps I bought can go together. lol Quite a few of them are like the bunny stamp and cover just about the whole piece of cardstock and yes, they're hard for me to hold and stamp with. I don't have very many sentiment stamps so I can't even put any wording on any of my cards. About the only sentiment stamp I have looks rather scrolly and formal and says "Happy Birthday" so it really doesn't go with most of my stamps.I did meet with the Stampin' Up demonstrator on Saturday and got some great stamps and supplies, I'm just waiting for them to come in so I can play with them.
I've been stamping the images and cutting card bases and layers for quite some time now so I've got LOTS of practice with that already. lol I know that they SU stamps will go together and not cover the entire card base like the ones I already have so I guess I'm just trying to patiently wait for them to come. I may just donate all my old stamps to a community center where someone else may get more use from them than I did.
I'm also not quite sure about alot of techniques and when things quiet down here a bit, I'm going to take an entire day and watch youtube videos for cardmaking.
Thanks again everyone for all the help. I've bookmarked all the sites you've given me and wrote down all the suggestions that will help me as I learn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #40  
Linking Queen

I'm happy to read that you've been stamping and are looking forward to stamps that work together.

As for sentiments, you could print them on your computer. Most printers can accommodate 65-80# cardstock. For cards, I would even consider heavier copier paper (24-32#) in a bright white. You could lightly color/sponge it for a coordinated look.
Reply With Quote Likes