Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Quality of old rubber and photopolymer stamps

I have decided to unmount all my SU background stamps to cling mount. I have 2 old Cornish Heritage Farm Background also. So I decided to unmount these first.

I didn't even have to put them in the micro. The rubber just peeled right off of the cling.

I found one stamp has a long split going across the back of the rubber defect or old age I don't know.. The other background stamp has some sort of coating that will not come off. Used goo gone and a scrubby pad, coating will not come off and will not stick to the new cling.

Has anyone come across problems with their rubber stamps when unmounting from wood to cling??

I haven't check the SU BG stamps yet.

Also I have a lot of the old Flourishes Stamps that are real sticky and very hard to pull off the plastic cases I bought at the time of purchase from Flourishes. I wanted to sell some, but there is no way I would ever sell these stamps to anyone because of their condition.

Has anyone come across this issues with old photopolymer stamps.

I am a little disappointed as I know some people have stamps that are 20 plus years old and these stamps I have are between 6 to 11 years old.

Thanks for any info.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

May be a silly question but why do you need them on cling? Why not save yourself the trouble and expense and just use the bare rubber? A bit of repostionable adhesive will do the trick of sticking them to a block or stamping platform.

Unless the split is causing issue with the stamped impression, I wouldn’t worry about it. I think bigger stamps are prone to showing up wrinkles and imperfections on the “flat” surface; we don’t see it if they have foam or a wooden block on the back but I’m aware that several of my bare stamps have visible marks on the back that look kind of like creases.

I’m no help on your Flourishes stamps, I’m afraid.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 02:37 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm only taking a stab in the dark here, but regarding the clear stamps, it sounds like there's been a reaction between the material the stamps are made from, and the material of the cases. I know I've seen various threads on here in the past where people have had similar issues, with a variety of storage sheets/cases. Clear stamps can be made with a variety of chemical compositions, as do the sheets/cases for storing,and I've even seen posts from people who had them stored on the original packaging sheets have this issue.

As Joanne says, sometimes rubber stamps do have what appear to be creases or cracks, I have stamps like that, and it makes no difference to their stamping ability.
As for the stamp you can't get to stick, have you considered putting Tack'n'Peel on a block, then the stamp will cling to the block with no problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 04:39 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I'd third that sometimes larger stamps do have what looks like a crack on the back - I've noticed it on several backgrounders and it's never caused a problem with stamping.

I've had some photopolymer stamps go sticky and fall apart - a couple from BoBunny, and some I picked up at a show many moons ago. But all my Flourishes ones are still fine - I left them on the sheets they originally came on. They don't feel tacky, and they come off the sheets cleanly. The only ones I've had stick to the manufacturer's contact sheet are one set only of Penny Black stamps (never a problem with any others from them), and an Inkadinkado one - and a couple of magazine freebies, which I suspect might not be produced to the same high standards as branded stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

>>

Are you talking about Tsukineko Tack N Peel sheets or Aleene's Tacky Glue?
I would be using a Tim Holtz stamping platform. Is this tacky stuff an easy clean up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 06:38 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

>>

Just thought cling would be the way to go, at least on background stamps since they are so large. If I use Tsukineko tack 'n peel sheets can I cut to the size of stamp or do I Have to put the whole sheet down on my stamping platform?

I have read If I use Aleene's tank,n peel glue I put it on the rubber stamp. Do I have to clean the stamping platform after every use.

Just trying to weigh every option, with less work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

>>

I bought the hard plastic storage cases from Flourishes to store their stamps in. Now finding the stamps are very difficult to get off of the cases and very sticky.

I also noticed this with my Penny Black photopolymer sets which I stored in the same Flourishes storage cases. But they are not sticky like the Flourishes stamps are. I put the Penny Black stamps in plastic cases like the SU cases that are used for their clear cling mount stamps. I haven't checked on my PB stamps in awhile, hope all is well with them are this would be a lot of money lost due to incorrect case storage for all of these stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

If you use the TackNPeel sheets it would just remain on the lid of your stamp platform. That might be a bit of a problem with Tim's platform as you use different sides for different types of stamps. With my Misti I mounted the sheet of TackNPeel onto a sheet of vinyl that I then stuck on the inside lid. My intention was to move it off and on as I needed it. I found that in reality I just leave it on all the time. Cling stamps cling to the plastic cover sheet of the TackNPeel just like they would on the lid. Stamps I have put some kind of tacky glue on the back sometimes leave a bit of their tacky behind, but that can usually be cleaned off of the plastic sheet. If I want to use the TackNPeel sheet I just remove the plastic sheet to expose the tacky surface, place my stamp on it and it is ready to use. It is kind of hard to explain, but hopefully I am making sense.

As far as the mounting foam, I agree with the others. I would just skip it and save yourself the expense and hassle of having to mount it to your stamps. I thought it would make a difference to not have any foam but most stamps usually stamp just fine. You can always add fun foam under your stamping if you need a little cushion. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I’ve never used Tack n Peel but my understanding is that you put it on the surface, not the stamp. So unless you’d always out your BG stamp in exactly the same place on the platform then I think yes, you’d need it on the whole “lid”.

Aleene’s Tack It Over and Over stays on the stamp. Very occasionally I get a bit of residue that transfers onto the acrylic block or Misti lid but it wipes off with a baby wipe or damp cloth. I certainly don’t have to clean the block every time I use a stamp with the TIOaO on it.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #10  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

On the foam - I did go for using it with my SU backgrounders when I unmounted them. I don't know why, because I didn't bother with the wheels, I just use them as bare rubber. I think it's purely in my mind, and probably influenced by the fact that I love all my IO backgrounders which came on foam.

I use TIOO on my bare stamps. Occasionally I need to clean a little off the lid of my positioner/blocks, but certainly not every time I use the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Typing at the same time as Annie who is much more useful in the Tack n Peel issue

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

As the Qute does not work I want to say Thank You to:
Angelnorth
Shazsilverwolf
Cook22
annie*

For all your help

I just might go out and get Aleene's Tack it over and over, sound like less of a mess to clean up using a stamping platform.

My goal was to cling mount all my backgrounders and my christmas sentiment stamps. And if I am happy with that I would continue on with my holiday themed stamps.

Well last night besides the to Cornish Heritage farm bg that I unmounted, I unmounted 2 SU backgrounds. What a headache!! I microwaved to release the cling. Came off the block just fine but to get it off the rubber was a pain in the butt!!

Besides ripping the cushion off the rubber piece by piece, and using goo gone and letting it soak for 30 mins, then using a butter knife to scrape off the residue. And then washing the kitchen floor from goo gone that sprayed on the floor I was ready to pull the plug on the whole project!

I'm think how could so many people have had this issue with unmounting their stamps when I have read so many threads about doing this, and how happy people were that they did unmount their wood stamps.

So instead of starting another thread, I went back to read some old threads. Next step is to try the freezer method. Wish me luck because this is turning out to be more of a headache than a stamping convenience to unmount wood stamps!

Vent over......for now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Chiming in...

Rubber stamps are created by pouring rubber into molds, so the "creases" or "cracks" that you see on the back are where the rubber didn't completely self-level. It isn't a defect and doesn't affect the image at all. I never put anything on the back of large background stamps because I use them face-up in my MISTI and lay the cardstock on top of the stamp to get the image on it. If I'm not confident, then I'll use a bit of low-tack tape to tape the cardstock to the lid so that I can re-stamp if needed. All of my other rubber has Aleene's Tack It Over & Over (or similar) on the back.

I've found that it's much easier (and cleaner) to freeze stamps over microwaving them. I pull the foam and rubber off of the wood (it doesn't matter if it comes off cleanly or if it tears) and stick it in the freezer for a few minutes (no more than 3 or 4). Usually the rubber peels off cleanly, but occasionally I'll have to rub off a bit of residue with my thumb.

My older photopolymer stamps are in various conditions, depending on how they were stored and the initial quality. "Back in the day" the technology for these stamps was relatively new, so no one really had a frame of reference for the long-term effects of any cleaners or storage methods or exposure to light or anything else. Now that we have better information, it's easier to protect our investments. I wish I had more comforting words for you, but I've had to toss some stamps.

I don't know if this is a workable solution for you, but I had a few stamps that I couldn't bear to get rid of that were pretty fragile, so I put them on "safe" plastic cut to size, then put the TIO&O on the back, so I didn't risk tearing the stamp taking it on and off a carrier sheet or stamping platform or block. I still have the image/sentiment that I love, but I'm preserving it for at least a bit longer...

I tried the Tack n' Peel method, but it wasn't a good solution for me (mostly because of issues I had trying to figure out storage for bare rubber with no "stick-um" on the back). Others swear by it, though! Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 03-19-2019 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank You gregzgurl for your information. Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Update!

Freezing worked wonderful for the Stampin Up backgrounders. I have unmounted 5 and have 3 or 4 more to go. I also unmounted 2 small SU christmas sentiments I acquired over the years. Worked great on these also.

But the freezing did not work on an Inkadinkado stamp or a Stampabilities stamp. Not even going to fight with them. This unmounting is giving me a headache!

When I go buy stamps at my local stamp convention, if I buy rubber stamps then I will try the tack it over and over stuff. I just don't have the patience or time to hammer away at stubborn foam and glue to convert my stamps. Might change my mind later on......

If anyone has any other ideas for these other stamps that I can't get the foam off of, all ideas welcome.

I am going to go downstairs and walk on the treadmill for a bit and listen to a audio book. I need to relax some.

Just upset this unmounting isn't going as well for me as it has for other people.

Another vent over......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #16  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I'm glad the freezing worked well for you! I haven't needed to try either that or the microwave - I guess a lot has to do with the local climate, just as with our other supplies.

Washing the kitchen floor because of the overspray of GooGone, oh my - that sure would make the task a chore. And it can be sore on fingers too, rubbing the last little bits off! I hope it continues to progress more smoothly for you.

I did what Sue did with my PB set that stuck to the carrier sheet. It's weird that it was just that one set - the Twelve Days of Christmas. Luckily by the time it happened I'd made cards with all twelve days for almost everybody who was going to get one that complicated. It was when I went to make one last fancy one for my brother that I discovered they had fused to the sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

One more thought for you, for what it is worth. When I first started to un-mount my stamps I tried to leave the foam on the stamps. Many of the stamps were Stampin Up stamps. If they were not too old the foam would often times remain on the back of the stamp and would have varying amounts of sticky left on them. I wanted the index sheet for reference so I would stick that on the foam. Basically that left me with a rubber stamp on foam with the index sheet. That was why I went to TackNPeel and it works pretty well. I like others ideas of having some sort of a sticky back on the stamp so I can just slap it on my Misti or block and I am ready to go. The cling and poly stamps have spoiled me in their ease of use. I hope you are able to get the foam off of your stamps, but if they are giving you problems maybe you will be able to leave the foam and still have "unmounted" stamps. The one thing I found is that if the foam did not stay on the stamps in one clean piece when I unmounted then I was forced to remove the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks annie*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Ah yes - Inkadinkado and Stampabilities use the MOST aggressive adhesive EVER on their stamps! I gave up on those, too, and left them on the foam. I've also found that Prima (silicone) don't do all that well with any of the TIO&O-type glues (as in it doesn't stay on the stamp, but sticks to everything else), so I leave those three brands "as is". Sorry I didn't mention that earlier...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 03:44 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too found some stamps would not come away from the foam, so in the end I left them as they were.
For the Tack'n'Peel, I've found you can attach the sticky side to some cling vinyl, then the cling vinyl will stick to the platform, but you can still remove it when you need to. It does go on the surface you want the stamp to cling to, not the stamp itself. One side is really sticky, which is the side to attach to the block or vinyl, and one side is just 'clingy' for want of a better description.
If you have stamps to store that are bare rubber, I've taken to using the Currency storage pockets available on places like Amazon. They come in a lot of permutations, so you can fi9nd some to fit any size stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank You Shazsiverwolf for your information Much appreciated. Right now all my stamps are either cling mount, wood or photopolymer.

I just finished converting my SU background stamps to Cling mount last night.

I don't think I will proceed any further in my adventures of converting wood to cling, let along just to bare rubber, as it is too much of a headache to do. I don't have the patience or time to fight with stamps. If I want to fight I want to win and I think in this fight the stamps will win:rolleyes:

If I can have the option to buy bare rubber in the future I just might do that and leave them be and not put cling mount on them and see how stamping goes that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who participated on this topic. I am a new poster (but longer time reader) and am hoping to move from my house to a small condo and want to keep as many of my stamps as possible, so I've been removing the rubber from the wood mounts. Wasn't sure what I would do once I got to the new place, but now I know how to deal with the bare rubber and cushioned rubber. It's amazing how much less storage space the bare rubber uses compared to all those wood mounts I had. I'm happy that i probably won't have to give up any of my stamps. You all are the greatest!

Ingrid
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Lesliespringer, I have several sets of Flourishes clear stamps. Bought them when they came out and have kept them stored all this time in cd cases. Just checked them and they still look and act new, just a little stained from the ink. This tells me their own cases were defective for their stamps. The worse clear stamp offender over time in my opinion is Technique Tuesday's early stamps. Many of those have turned to sugar as I say. I have some borders stamps and have ripped a few apart just by gently trying to pull them up off my storage case to use.

I used the Aleene's TIO&O until I got sick of picking up the residue boogers left wherever I stuck the stamp to use. Went to Tack n Peel and applied to a set of acrylic blocks I bought. Left the rubber stamps unmounted. I store them by lining a cd case with the tack n peel. I did this because I did not want to cut out the stamps shapes as I have a bunch of stamps. Frankly, I like my current way better and am happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #24  

Lesliespringer, I'm a fan of cling and unmounted all of mine. I found the mindless task relaxing at the end of the day. I'd work about an hour a day. I found some brands come off easier than others. Penny Black and Tim Holtz stamps were the hardest. SU was the easiest. Some companies use some nasty cling on their products that comes off in chunks. I had a rule of thumb- if I wouldn't do it to my car tires I won't do it to my stamps, thus no microwave.

I found a product for deteriorating rubber. It's Simple Green Extreme, not the regular stuff in automotive stores. When Coronado Island went out of business, they lost my order for months and rewarded me with 52 free stamps, most of them dry. This product will not restore them to new but will slow down the deterioration and is the only product I could find for rubber. I noticed the ones that turned white immediately improved. It's made for cleaning aircraft rubber and metals and is perfectly safe for anything in your home, including the beloved MISTI.

I hope you find a system you like. The hot knife is a blessing if you choose to use cling. Don't even bother trying with scissors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #25  

I have a question about polymer stamps and wondered if anyone else had this happen. I had a relatively new to me set by Penny Black, polymer. I maybe owned it one year tops. I had it in my MISTI and when I pulled it off it literally ripped in half. I'm getting gun shy about polymer stamps. Anyone else had that happen?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2019, 01:55 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiz2003View Post
I have a question about polymer stamps and wondered if anyone else had this happen. I had a relatively new to me set by Penny Black, polymer. I maybe owned it one year tops. I had it in my MISTI and when I pulled it off it literally ripped in half. I'm getting gun shy about polymer stamps. Anyone else had that happen?

I haven’t had it happen with a larger stamp but I have a Hero Arts sentiment set that shed the bottom of the letter y on one stamp as I peeled it off the carrier sheet. If I want to use it now, I stick the main part of the stamp to the block or the Misti and then snug the tiny broken bit into place against it. Not sure it would work with a whole big stamp without producing a noticeable line but it works fine for this.

I did have a Stampendous set that degraded very quickly to give “missing spots” on stamped impressions. They replaced that when I contacted them and said they’d had a manufacturing problem with a batch of stamps where the polymer hadn’t cured properly.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrapView Post
Lesliespringer, I have several sets of Flourishes clear stamps. Bought them when they came out and have kept them stored all this time in cd cases. Just checked them and they still look and act new, just a little stained from the ink. This tells me their own cases were defective for their stamps. The worse clear stamp offender over time in my opinion is Technique Tuesday's early stamps. Many of those have turned to sugar as I say. I have some borders stamps and have ripped a few apart just by gently trying to pull them up off my storage case to use.

I used the Aleene's TIO&O until I got sick of picking up the residue boogers left wherever I stuck the stamp to use. Went to Tack n Peel and applied to a set of acrylic blocks I bought. Left the rubber stamps unmounted. I store them by lining a cd case with the tack n peel. I did this because I did not want to cut out the stamps shapes as I have a bunch of stamps. Frankly, I like my current way better and am happy.
I haven't made it back to the basement yet. But my next venture is to pull all of my Flourishes stamps out, check them over and put them in new plastic cases like the ones SU put their cling/clear mount stamps in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Lesliespringer, I'm a fan of cling and unmounted all of mine. I found the mindless task relaxing at the end of the day. I'd work about an hour a day. I found some brands come off easier than others. Penny Black and Tim Holtz stamps were the hardest. SU was the easiest. Some companies use some nasty cling on their products that comes off in chunks. I had a rule of thumb- if I wouldn't do it to my car tires I won't do it to my stamps, thus no microwave.

I found a product for deteriorating rubber. It's Simple Green Extreme, not the regular stuff in automotive stores. When Coronado Island went out of business, they lost my order for months and rewarded me with 52 free stamps, most of them dry. This product will not restore them to new but will slow down the deterioration and is the only product I could find for rubber. I noticed the ones that turned white immediately improved. It's made for cleaning aircraft rubber and metals and is perfectly safe for anything in your home, including the beloved MISTI.

I hope you find a system you like. The hot knife is a blessing if you choose to use cling. Don't even bother trying with scissors.
I use regular simple green 2 to 1 water to simple green for my stamp cleaner for years now. I am very happy with using this. I might venture out to find the extreme simple green, but you know then I will have to share it with my husband and son. The last time I went looking for my stash of simple green it was gone! Hubby and son took it. Boy did they get an ear full! So I went out and bought 2 bottles, one for me already in my stamping area, almost hidden and the other in the laundry room for my boys
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well I find unmounting stamps a big gigantic headache:mad: You want to come over and help me?? PLEASE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

So far my polymer stamps from Penny Black are fine. Had them for years I have 5 sets. I haven't checked on them for a while.

The only stamps I have had a problem with are my Flourishes stamps. Which it has been mentioned my problem could be due to the storage cases I purchased from Flourishes to store their stamps in.

Oh I forgot I have some of my PB clear stamps in the same Flourishes Storage cases. I better check on those stamps soon. See if I have a problem with the PB stamps like the Flourishes stamps. Holy Cannoli another possible problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I haven’t had it happen with a larger stamp but I have a Hero Arts sentiment set that shed the bottom of the letter y on one stamp as I peeled it off the carrier sheet. If I want to use it now, I stick the main part of the stamp to the block or the Misti and then snug the tiny broken bit into place against it. Not sure it would work with a whole big stamp without producing a noticeable line but it works fine for this.

I did have a Stampendous set that degraded very quickly to give “missing spots” on stamped impressions. They replaced that when I contacted them and said they’d had a manufacturing problem with a batch of stamps where the polymer hadn’t cured properly.

Talking about my Flourishes stamp problems, I do remember one set that when I received it one stamp tore as I took it off the plastic sheet, that is why I bought the plastic storage cases Flourishes offered in their shop. I didn't even contact them about the torn stamp, I should have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you everyone who has commented and gave me info on this thread regarding my questions. You all have helped me a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

when "clear" stamps first came out, and I am probably gonna date my stamps here but, back when CK magazine had "scrapbooking conventions" I did buy some Technique Tuesday stamps at that time.
( they all deteriorated and I tossed them before we bought this house which was 15 years ago now)

It took me a very long time to buy the new modern clear stamps because of it.
(so far so good)

I have come across some old stamps that the rubber ( stamps I bought used) is harder and looks like it is crackling? but, they still have some give to them. they are not really cracked its like a surface impression ( almost looks like glassware from the 1950's that was pressed in a mold type impressions on the rubber) it's not hard as a rock unusable rubber stamps. but, for the most part my rubber stamps coming off the blocks are in very good shape. The ones I find the hardest to remove from the blocks are the little dollar bin sentiments. ( what ever that foam is, I have broke every fingernail on my hands scraping it off the back of the rubber) to the point of how bad do I want to keep this stamp and I pitched two of them. :mrgreen:

I read that you are nuking yours in your microwave but, I really have not done that with any of mine. for the most part I just pop a finger nail under a corner and lift them.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #34  

lesliespringer, sure I'd love to help you mount stamps if someone else peels them off. Now that's the part I didn't like. About Simple Green, if you write them they answer and answer honestly. If you are using the regular Simple Green like I was on rubber they suggest you rinse them off. I had written them to see how safe it was. They were great about answering back. I do that anyway but did switch to Simple Green Extreme which is not as harsh so maybe the family won't heist it from you It's not as effective on grease but great for stamp cleaning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2019, 06:33 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

and Nancy, the clear ones I had that ripped were from Close to my Heart.
( they replaced the set the first time it happened, the replacement also ripped coming off the carrier sheet) and I stopped buying from them. I have not read anywhere that their stamps have been changed to something better and I stopped seeing their products for sale where I live a long time ago.

I have been unmounting my rubber stamps for some time now but, recently I made some laminated sheets for my clear two lips stamps because, they are sold as singles and it allowed me to put multiple stamps in the plastic envelope like the others so, I just may do that with my PTI stamps as most of those I bought when they came in the CD cases and so, they do not have anything sturdy to cling to either.
but, its mental some day thing not a priority as I am still working on re organizing the rubber.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Last Friday I pulled out my Penny Black Critter stamps. Out of 5 sets I already put 4 of them in the soft cases like what SU uses for their clear/cling mount stamps. Those stamps are fine. I found one set of PB stamps still in the old Flourishes hard plastic case. Boy oh boy are those stamps really stuck. Going to be hard removing them.

I also pulled all my Flourishes stamps out. I found the stamps that have been inked and used are not stuck to the plastic case, but the stamps that have not been inked and used are stuck also. Going to be hard removing theses stamps also.

I haven't been in the basement since because I haven't been feeling well.

When I get back downstairs I will work on removing and transferring these stamps into the soft storage cases. I will stamp images also just to make sure stamps are still usable. I will be heartbroken if these stamps don't work. Besides spending lots of money on these stamps I love them and don't want to part with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

lesliespringer, sure I'd love to help you mount stamps if someone else peels them off. Now that's the part I didn't like. About Simple Green, if you write them they answer and answer honestly. If you are using the regular Simple Green like I was on rubber they suggest you rinse them off. I had written them to see how safe it was. They were great about answering back. I do that anyway but did switch to Simple Green Extreme which is not as harsh so maybe the family won't heist it from you It's not as effective on grease but great for stamp cleaning.

I didn't even think about rinsing the stamps after cleaning with my 1:2 simple green to water mixture. Thanks for the heads up.

I think I will stick with only unmounting SU stamps as they seem to be the easiest to remove the sticky foam-using the freezing method. I can't afford to use my nails to much as I have very fragle nails that split very easily. And no way will I be using any kind of knives, to me that is way too easy to be getting stitches. I only stiches I have received was after childbirth and I don't plan on ever having stitches again! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
when "clear" stamps first came out, and I am probably gonna date my stamps here but, back when CK magazine had "scrapbooking conventions" I did buy some Technique Tuesday stamps at that time.
( they all deteriorated and I tossed them before we bought this house which was 15 years ago now)

It took me a very long time to buy the new modern clear stamps because of it.
(so far so good)

I have come across some old stamps that the rubber ( stamps I bought used) is harder and looks like it is crackling? but, they still have some give to them. they are not really cracked its like a surface impression ( almost looks like glassware from the 1950's that was pressed in a mold type impressions on the rubber) it's not hard as a rock unusable rubber stamps. but, for the most part my rubber stamps coming off the blocks are in very good shape. The ones I find the hardest to remove from the blocks are the little dollar bin sentiments. ( what ever that foam is, I have broke every fingernail on my hands scraping it off the back of the rubber) to the point of how bad do I want to keep this stamp and I pitched two of them. :mrgreen:

I read that you are nuking yours in your microwave but, I really have not done that with any of mine. for the most part I just pop a finger nail under a corner and lift them.

While unmounting some of the stamps I did find that the crease looked like they were from the molding process. But the background tree stamp that I purchased from cornish heritage farms was definitely a crack all the way across the back of the rubber, not a molding situation.

I had a very old Close to my Hearts christmas sentiment set that I used the heck out of. When I was going through my stamps at the begin of the year I found that they no longer stuck to clear blocks. I soaked them over night in dawn and water and let them air dry, still would not stick to the clear blocks. I just called it even steven as I used them so much that I got my money worth out of the set and just tossed them.

I can't use my fingernails to aid in getting the sticky foam of some stamps. I will just leave them on the wood for now. When I get my stamping space organized I will rethink the unmounting process for my sentiment stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2019, 06:41 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

before I ever bought cling foam, I used to put a piece of double sticky scotch tape on a clear block and stick the rubber to that to use it,

if you come across some more like the ctmh ones that got pitched, maybe that is an option ( or were they clear stamps?)

I have never been successful in making clear stamps re sticky either if that's the case Leslie.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
before I ever bought cling foam, I used to put a piece of double sticky scotch tape on a clear block and stick the rubber to that to use it,

if you come across some more like the ctmh ones that got pitched, maybe that is an option ( or were they clear stamps?)

I have never been successful in making clear stamps re sticky either if that's the case Leslie.

They were clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes