Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Organizing my stamps...WHEW!!!

Since I retired, it's been my mission to get organized, hopefully in all areas of my life, and I've been focusing on my craft room lately. I kept putting off organizing my stamps, because I think I had an inkling of how much work it would be. Well, I started yesterday, and spent the entire day finishing taking the stamps that I'd removed from their wood blocks, and converting them to cling stamps. Then, I went through all of my stamps, sorted them into categories, and put them into the DVD cases that I'd bought for storing them. I have 28 cases, and thought that I'd have to end up buying more, but miracle of miracles, they actually fit into the boxes I already have, and a few of them even have a little empty space. But boy, I had no idea it would take that long to do!

Now, I'm in the process of making index sheets, so that I'll be able to find what I'm looking for without having to go through each box. I'm enjoying this part in a way, because I haven't even used all of the stamps I have, and this forces me to pick up each one, and stamp it, so I'm finally seeing exactly what each one looks like. I have a zillion tree stamps. Literally, a zillion. I counted. And I need each and every one. I LOVE them! But I also have a nice assortment of other stamps that should be more than enough to make any card I'd like. My very serious plan is to buy no more stamps. I have this one small plastic tub full of them, and I really need to keep them consolidated to that much space and no more!

So that's what I'm doing today, taking each and every stamp, and stamping it. The part I'm really not looking forward to is the sentiments.OMG!!! I've got three boxes full of those. Maybe I'll save the sentiments for tomorrow. It does feel good to have this much done, and I have newfound respect for those of you with really large collections, who have them organized. Personally, I can't imagine how you could manage otherwise. A lot of stamps are really tiny, and trying to find them without having some kind of system would just be CRAZEEEEEE! OK, back to work for me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this 2 years ago and while it was time consuming, I’m so glad I did. I had no idea what stamps I had. It really reignited my love for stamping. It also made me start organizing other aspects of my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepymom33View Post
I did this 2 years ago and while it was time consuming, I’m so glad I did. I had no idea what stamps I had. It really reignited my love for stamping. It also made me start organizing other aspects of my craft room.
So true! I saw stamps I had totally forgotten I even had. I did about half of the indexing today and hopefully I can finish tomorrow. It's really satisfying to get things in order. And now that each stamp has a specific home, it should be so much easier to keep things organized. Other than my personal paperwork, my crafting supplies have been the biggest challenge to get under control. Oh...and there's the basement...and the garage. LOL I certainly have my work cut out for me! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 04:30 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, Blue! Every step ahead in the organizing game is a win!!

I'm in the process of organizing mine, as well. I tried using Evernote but that system just doesn't work for me, but I sure wish it did.

I have them arranged by brand and I'm making index sheets by brand and subject. Ex: a Tim Holtz halloween set will go on both a Tim Holtz index and a halloween index. I'm doing it in Word and pasting in images from the internet instead of stamping them. My plan is, once its done, to keep them grouped by brand but use the indexes by subject so if I want a halloween stamp, I can looked at that index, pick out the image I want to use and go to the box with that brand in it. Its a lot of work but so far its coming along well. I found duplicates which will go to friends, weeded out stamps I have no idea why I would've bought in the first place, and discovered stamps I didn't remember I had. I'm hoping eventually to be able to 'shop my stash' and stop buying so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
Congrats, Blue! Every step ahead in the organizing game is a win!!

I'm in the process of organizing mine, as well. I tried using Evernote but that system just doesn't work for me, but I sure wish it did.

I have them arranged by brand and I'm making index sheets by brand and subject. Ex: a Tim Holtz halloween set will go on both a Tim Holtz index and a halloween index. I'm doing it in Word and pasting in images from the internet instead of stamping them. My plan is, once its done, to keep them grouped by brand but use the indexes by subject so if I want a halloween stamp, I can looked at that index, pick out the image I want to use and go to the box with that brand in it. Its a lot of work but so far its coming along well. I found duplicates which will go to friends, weeded out stamps I have no idea why I would've bought in the first place, and discovered stamps I didn't remember I had. I'm hoping eventually to be able to 'shop my stash' and stop buying so much!
fifi, that sounds like a great system you've got there much more sophisticated than mine. I don't consider myself a huge stamper by any means. I don't make things to sell, just to send to friends and family. That being said, I was amazed at the amount of stamps I have. So I'm in awe of people that have really big collections, and manage to have them all organized. As I mentioned, it would be practically impossible to find things if you didn't! And I can easily see how you would end up buying duplicates, because you didn't know or couldn't find a particular stamp.

I finished the indexing this morning, except for the sentiments. I'm dreading that, because some of them are just one word, and very tiny, so it will be extra time consuming. There are three boxes of those alone, not counting the Christmas sentiments, which I've already done. But I really want to finish before the weather warms up and I can get outside to work in the yard. It's only 25 degrees today, so I guess I have a little time left. 8-) Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

It is crazy how fast stamps mount up in number!

How the perception changes...when we are buying a set, people think there are "only 15 in the set" (with sentiments) wanting value, but when you are organizing them you are thinking you have to do 15. 10 sets and you are at 150....

Good on you to do this. I bet you get better use of them and it seems to have helped you solidify the buying urge-at least for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

It took me months to get all my stamps organized, stamped and scanned into Evernote, and then stored by category in a system of plastic boxes - but it was completely worth it... especially "at my age" when I can't remember what I have anymore! My OCD loves seeing things in categories, too... and knowing that I have 147 bunny stamps, dies, or stencils...!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Congrats, bluerambler, on your progress! Good luck with the sentiments - those definitely take time!

I admire those who have the patience for Evernote - too much scanning and tagging and all for me! I do definitely see the benefit of it, though...
I am tweaking my system - yet again! I recently did the trading card/coin pages in regular-size binders and decided they were too unwieldy, but the 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" pages I had prior to that were a nuisance to have to pull out a whole page to get to the one stamp I wanted, so I sewed the page protectors in half (for larger stamps) and in quarters (for the rest) and cut the laminated cardstock to fit. Seems to be the right compromise for me, but I've thought I was done multiple times before... I need to pick up a few more of the 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" binders, though - I'm bursting at the seams!

One nice advantage to this size of binder (besides fitting more on the shelves) is that they pack up nicely in file storage boxes for easy relocating. I'm pretty sure ALL of them will fit in two boxes, with space left over...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Confession: my rule was that stamps had to fit into two 6x4x14.5 InterDesign frig bins.

Now I have three.

I feel better now. Thank you.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueramblerView Post
Since I retired, it's been my mission to get organized, hopefully in all areas of my life, and I've been focusing on my craft room lately. I kept putting off organizing my stamps, because I think I had an inkling of how much work it would be. Well, I started yesterday, and spent the entire day finishing taking the stamps that I'd removed from their wood blocks, and converting them to cling stamps. Then, I went through all of my stamps, sorted them into categories, and put them into the DVD cases that I'd bought for storing them. I have 28 cases, and thought that I'd have to end up buying more, but miracle of miracles, they actually fit into the boxes I already have, and a few of them even have a little empty space. But boy, I had no idea it would take that long to do!

Now, I'm in the process of making index sheets, so that I'll be able to find what I'm looking for without having to go through each box. I'm enjoying this part in a way, because I haven't even used all of the stamps I have, and this forces me to pick up each one, and stamp it, so I'm finally seeing exactly what each one looks like. I have a zillion tree stamps. Literally, a zillion. I counted. And I need each and every one. I LOVE them! But I also have a nice assortment of other stamps that should be more than enough to make any card I'd like. My very serious plan is to buy no more stamps. I have this one small plastic tub full of them, and I really need to keep them consolidated to that much space and no more!

So that's what I'm doing today, taking each and every stamp, and stamping it. The part I'm really not looking forward to is the sentiments.OMG!!! I've got three boxes full of those. Maybe I'll save the sentiments for tomorrow. It does feel good to have this much done, and I have newfound respect for those of you with really large collections, who have them organized. Personally, I can't imagine how you could manage otherwise. A lot of stamps are really tiny, and trying to find them without having some kind of system would just be CRAZEEEEEE! OK, back to work for me.
Congratuations! How are you indexing? Stamping every single stamp onto category sheets? For example, if one of your literally zillion tree sets includes a heart or something else non-tree-like, you’d stamp the heart on a shapes or heart sheet and the tree on the tree sheet?

Mine are in pockets in bins, sorted by category, but the time has come, the walrus said, to talk of (and index) many stamps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Congrats, bluerambler, on your progress! Good luck with the sentiments - those definitely take time!

I admire those who have the patience for Evernote - too much scanning and tagging and all for me! I do definitely see the benefit of it, though...
I am tweaking my system - yet again! I recently did the trading card/coin pages in regular-size binders and decided they were too unwieldy, but the 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" pages I had prior to that were a nuisance to have to pull out a whole page to get to the one stamp I wanted, so I sewed the page protectors in half (for larger stamps) and in quarters (for the rest) and cut the laminated cardstock to fit. Seems to be the right compromise for me, but I've thought I was done multiple times before... I need to pick up a few more of the 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" binders, though - I'm bursting at the seams!

One nice advantage to this size of binder (besides fitting more on the shelves) is that they pack up nicely in file storage boxes for easy relocating. I'm pretty sure ALL of them will fit in two boxes, with space left over...

I'm really impressed at how organized so many of you are. I've done a lot of different crafts over the years, but I don't think I've done one with so many little pieces to keep track of. Your idea of sewing the page protectors to divide them into the sizes you needed is genius!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Confession: my rule was that stamps had to fit into two 6x4x14.5 InterDesign frig bins.

Now I have three.

I feel better now. Thank you.

Beth
You're a bad influence! LOL I need someone to tell me that it's really possible to stop buying stamps. I do actually have a little room in a couple of the CD boxes.....uh oh, that's opening the door, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

You're a bad influence! LOL I need someone to tell me that it's really possible to stop buying stamps. I do actually have a little room in a couple of the CD boxes.....uh oh, that's opening the door, isn't it?

Just FYI, NO ONE ON THIS FORUM WILL EVER TELL YOU THAT! (No, I'm not yelling, just being emphatic) Actually, now that I think of it, Joan B might be the only voice that might dare to speak such heresy aloud...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Congratuations! How are you indexing? Stamping every single stamp onto category sheets? For example, if one of your literally zillion tree sets includes a heart or something else non-tree-like, you’d stamp the heart on a shapes or heart sheet and the tree on the tree sheet?

Mine are in pockets in bins, sorted by category, but the time has come, the walrus said, to talk of (and index) many stamps...
Yes, I stamped each and every stamp onto the index sheets. And no, I don't keep sets together, except in a couple of instances when they worked better that way, like with the "Waterfront" stamps. My zillion tree stamps are somewhat sorted into types of trees, and then I have flowers, branches and twigs, birds, butterflies and other insects, Christmas themed items, etc. I'm planning to number the CD boxes according to the pages of the index, but I think I will also add a short description on the spines of the boxes, so that I'd be able to choose that way also, if I wasn't looking for a specific stamp, but just wanted to choose from a general category. I'm just so happy to have this much done. (attempting a cartwheel!) Good luck with yours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Yes, I stamped each and every stamp onto the index sheets. And no, I don't keep sets together, except in a couple of instances when they worked better that way, like with the "Waterfront" stamps. My zillion tree stamps are somewhat sorted into types of trees, and then I have flowers, branches and twigs, birds, butterflies and other insects, Christmas themed items, etc. I'm planning to number the CD boxes according to the pages of the index, but I think I will also add a short description on the spines of the boxes, so that I'd be able to choose that way also, if I wasn't looking for a specific stamp, but just wanted to choose from a general category. I'm just so happy to have this much done. (attempting a cartwheel!) Good luck with yours!

Careful!! (Cartwheel) You can Stamp with a sprained ankle but not hand. Well maybe with your other hand.

I don’t break up sets but think my index sheets will include a copy of each set (mostly copying on my printer), and then stamping every stamp on a category sheet that is coded to the set. (The sets are in clear pockets in categories. Except for the last 25 or so sets. Or 40.) That will just take me until 2023 or so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 02:53 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been telling myself for the past 3 or 4 years that I have to get control of my stamp sets. It's a daunting task - sort of like cleaning out closets after months and months of ignoring them. I, too, find stamps or stamp sets I had forgotten I had or wondered why I bought in the first place. This thread is an inspiration for me to get moving and inventory my stamps. No doubt inventorying my stamps will also involve weeding some of them out! That would be a happy by-product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

I have organized from the beginning 6 years ago simply because I couldn't remember what I had if I didn't. I have over stamps 900 sets, 150 embossing folders, and 65 all purpose dies sets(not bragging, confessing). Most are cling and photopolymer or have been converted from wood to cling. I kept the large SU background stamps on wood.
All cling and clear stamp sets and dies sets are in DVD cases I picked up at thrift stores, Sleeve City or Office Supply online.I have just sentiment stamp sets alphabetically organized in spinning 5' DVD racks and 18" CD racks on shelves which takes up less space. The image sets are also alphabetical in racks. Some of my Christmas sets are in a door mounted Olfa rack unit with the balance in a wall mounted 5' DVD shelf. I have photocopied the sets and put them alphabetically in 7 regular ring binders. I keep all matching dies with the stamp set and color the spine with lime green marker; pink if there is a matching punch. Let's me see at a glance what I may need. My embossing folders are labeled and YES alphabetically in 2 plastic containers from Walmart. I took a large Rolodex and embossed the address cards so I could "audition" the folders. 12x12 cardstock and DSP on 2 shelves, with all 8 1/2 x 11 in 2 filing cabinets (YOU GUESSED IT) alphabetically. 6x6 on a wall mounted DVD shelving unit. I like to make multiples and create card kits to be completed later and bought Iris holders with boxes inside. I put the kits in cheap plastic sandwich bags in the large box and use the inner small boxes for embellishments labeled and stored in a 15 slot shoe shelf, each shelf hold 3 of these boxes. Punches stored on wall mount DVD shelving unit. Ink, markers and refills in Stamp n Storage units..love them. Ribbon in lazy susan slotted spinners from ebay.

My room is not large possibly 8x8 . Wow confession is good for the soul! and YES I am purging at least 1/2 the stamp sets. Let me know if you are looking for anything. And thanks to Splitcoast for listing all the Stampin Up sets really helped me keep track.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 03:56 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I also organized my stamps/dies when I retired 7 yrs. ago. I needed a system, so I could find them and so I would not duplicate purchases (which had happened).
I use 5x7 notebooks, each stamp, die, stencil, embossing folder, embossing powder, ink pad, marker brands/colors are all sampled, scanned, or stamped and divided into categories. Really OCD for sure, but once I got the system started, I have stuck with it. Anything new that comes into the craft room gets cataloged first. Dies go into CD cases by category, usually each with name label on top so I can flip through and find what I want. Stamps go into plastic sleeves with labels, so I can flip and find. My older wooden stamps are stamped and if I sell or donate them, I cross them off in the book. My goal is to reduce the wooden ones, which I have done lately and I have converted a few . I do lots of mixed media so I have a ton of stencils; small ones goes into 8x8 photo album sleeves, with the design sponged onto the page so they go back into the sleeve when cleaned...yes, I clean my stencils. Larger ones go into a 12 x12 scrapbook the same. I teach art journaling classes each fall and need a way to be sure all the supplies are usable by a group of people. This works good for the classes and for me in my craft room. When I want to make a card, I flip through my cataloged 5x7 notebooks and get ideas....then go pull the items from the shelf. I keep them all in baskets with tags tied to them...listing the categories for that basket on the tag. This might sound crazy...it was lots of work, but worth it for me to feel comfortable about finding, using, and creating. I just finished organizing my daughter's dies and stamps in similar way for her. No notebook catalog but in plastic sleeves, labeled and divided by set...all floral together , kids, background, etc. I must admit it took me about a week, working on her's off and on but now she can use them...that was her goal and she works full time so I took on the project. She knows I like to organize as much as I like to create. Confession , it makes me more creative and enjoyable if it is all organized.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Inky Paws (04-26-2022)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I keep a file in Excel; one tab is stamps, one dies, one stencils, etc. The items are listed by the sets title, next column the generic title, next it's vendor item number, and so on: how many stamps are in it, a check mark if there's a dieset to go with it, a check mark if it's rubber or clear, vendor, price, and I continue with columns listing what the individual stamps are .. if a long sentiment I'll put the first 4 or 5 words. This system allows me to search by 'sort' and has worked so far. I keep the actual sets by vendor alphabetically and/or numerical. I don't have too many no-name items. The die sheet works similar but has a picture of each set. It is not as efficient, I'm looking for a better way.

Several years ago I'd copied pictures of all the stamps and the die sets and kept them in a special e-folder. The file had their name and item number, vendor and something to search for. It worked great until I dropped the computer and the backup contraption. It was too much work to start over :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Gee, I feel wimpy by whining about my organization struggles. Most of you have SO MANY more stamps than I do! And die sets. I don't have any of those. Don't you find that it's so much easier to be creative when you can put your hands on exactly what you're looking for? I also confess to re-purchasing items I already had because I couldn't find them. Here's to being more organized and more creative!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

and here I was feeling proud I just organized my clear and cling stamp sets into categories as by manufacturer wasn't working for me. LOL. Now I'm thinking I need to have a system to know what I actually own. I own HUNDREDS of just Unity stamps alone. EEEEEeeeKKKkk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 06:00 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Oh this is a HOT topic!!!

I did organize ALL my stamp a few years ago and it was the BEST thing I ever did! I unmounted all my wood stamps from SU and elsewhere, and put them in the clear envelops, and then put Evernote basic the free on on my PC and went to town... at first I wasn't sure about Evernote because it didn't work like my PC file cabinet... but after I fingered out how to use it I went to town. Now I have ALL my stamps in less than half the space, all together.

I did the index sheets and stamps each stamp for years... but Evernote does all that and then some, and no space and less time...
What ever way you go to keep track of your stamps it's worth the effort.. You have to do what works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

I don't break up sets. All of my SU wooden block stamps are filed alphabetically after I put labels on the ends of the cases. These are on shelves in a cupboard. The newer SU sets are also filed alphabetically on the back of my stamping table. Other individual stamps are in drawers labeled as trees, Easter, flowers, etc. Christmas, Halloween and nautical stamps are in totes I can pull out as needed. Dies are in cases with labels. I still have somewhat of a mess due to lack of room, but it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I need good health to get mine done 🙁

[QUOTE=ejluyk;21795012]I also organized my stamps/dies when I retired 7 yrs. ago. I needed a system, so I could find them and so I would not duplicate purchases (which had .yes, I clean my stencils. Larger ones go into a 12 x12 scrapbook the same. I teach art journaling classes each fall and need a way to be sure all the supplies are usable by a group of people. This works good for the classes and for me in my craft room. When I want to make a card, I flip through my cataloged 5x7 notebooks and get ideas....then go pull the items from the shelf. I keep them all in baskets with tags tied to them </quote>

I clean my stencils too! What do you do with stencils that are larger than 12 x 12 ?

I love your idea of cataloging in 5x7 notebooks. That would be easier to look through than 3x5 index cards which I had thought about using. I've only just begun putting stamps in plastic sleeve,not organized yet, and have found 4 duplicates (what a waste of money....... I could have had different stsmps 🙁).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 465 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm in the process of organizing my unmounted stamps right now - I'm setting all the sentiments to one side and working on images right now. I'm doing it by subject (not by brand) - using the Avery Elle and Simon Says Stamp clear pockets, and making labels for the top corners so that they'll be easy to file - eg. flowers, holly, dogs, etc. So far I'm loving using the ones that are done! Can't wait till the sentiments are done!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

:confused: :shock: :shock:

Is there a husband posting here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Dina, can you post a list of your categories for stamps? that is where I get hung up. Flowers with words....mostly words? I get myself in a tinsel tangle trying to work it out. Stamps for Christmas but good sentiments for other times...etc. etc. etc. Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I break up sets of stamps into categories/themes. Mine are all wood mounted---even those I buy unmounted or carve myself get mounted on wood blocks. The name of the set goes on the end of every block in that set so no matter in what sections they are housed, I know what set it came from. Since all the blocks have an index and all like stamps are stored together in clear boxes, when I want a particular stamp, I go to the drawer(s) that contain that type of stamp and find what I need. I stamp by theme (each card for the month is made with the same theme, or even the same stamp), so this really makes sense for me. I don't keep any paper record, as it is just as easy to go to the place where those stamps are and look through the actual stamps than to look through a binder or a document file first to be directed to where I already know they are. I admit, stamping is my first hobby and organizing is my next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 04:20 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Stamp Organization I've Found For me.

This is how I organize my cataloging of stamp sets. I first stamp the whole set onto a page (typing paper at least 26#and more to eliminate ink bleeding) titled "Stampin' Up", or the page headed "Hero Arts"--one page for each brand. Then I break it down even more with sub-headings.

If there is a tree stamp in the set, I stamp the tree on the page titled "Trees". I have pages marked "Plants", "Animals", "People", "Flowers", "Leaves", "Vehicles" (cars, boats, hot air balloons), "Single Stamp" (like a small wooden I got at Hobby Lobby), "Background", Miscellaneous (keys, buttons, pencils), etc.

With the sentiments, I have pages titled with "Birthday", "Thanks", "Sympathy", "Winter Holidays", "Spring Holidays", etc.

I just use a black marker for titling the pages. (This was hard because of perfectionism was screaming the whole time to go type up every Title Page.) Just write it on.

Beginning organizing was a bit daunting to think to begin, but was actually very simple. When I began, I would sit in front of TV and listen to a show, or put on an audio book. It took about 8 hours for my collection, and I didn't do it all at one time.... it only took a week. I just left all of it out until I finished. Now when I get a stamp set, I just stamp it into my cataloging system. The stamping is NOT alphabetical. That would be impossible with adding future new stamps.

The pages are in sheet protectors and in a three-ring binder that is at least 4"across on the side. I keep all the pages--alphabetically, beginning with Brand, (Ex. "Altenew", "Hero Arts", "Stampin' Up", etc. and then all the sub-headings put into their alphabetical order.

I use both sides of the paper.... that is why I get a heavy weight typing paper so ink doesn't bleed through.

With multi-step stamps... like a flower that has pieces that can add different colored inks to layer on, I stamp the outline first--then for the layers, I use a a different color ink to stamp the layers just to quickly show me that it is a multi-step stamp set.

I have found that the pages that are incompletely stamped (has room for another stamp set or two), it is easier for me to not put them into the sheet protector and not into the ring binder just yet. It's easier to keep all the incompletes together with a bulldog clip and make sure those pages get completely filled... then put into the binder.

I also mark page numbers at the bottom of each section. That way, when I finally fill up a page and put it away, I take a clean typing paper, put Title at top, page number at bottom, put it into the Bulldog Clip and it's waiting to be filled up with future new stamps.

If you want to try this system, reread this page, get a mind's eye of the goal. I'll use Lovely As A Tree as an example. Get out a heavy-weight typing paper, title the page at top "Stampin' Up", mark Page #1 at bottom, then stamp your entire stamp set.

Next, get another piece of heavy-weight typing paper, title this page "Trees", write Page#1 at bottom, then stamp only the trees on this page, and above the trees, write in pen, the Title of the set (Ex. S.U. Lovely As a Tree) Next, get another piece of heavy-weight typing paper, title this page "Leaves", write Page #1 at bottom and then stamp only the leaves on this page. Don't forget to put at the top of those leaves S.U.Lovely As A Tree) Look there! You've done it. ;)

One more thing where my perfectionism wanted to take over--but I gritted my teeth and overcame it and am I a happy camper for doing the following -- For each new stamp set I would put an outline around the set so I can look at the page and quickly discern what stamps goes with the set. Otherwise it gets all jumbled up. Then at the top of each stamp set, like Lovely As A Tree, I would write in pen, Lovely As a Tree above that set. Have to know which set to go to when you're looking at all your trees. So keep on putting the name of the set above the stamps.

This might look like or sound like a long process for each set, but it really isn't. Once you get the hang of it, wow! Quickly being able to find your collection of each stamp piece, never having to hunt for them for hours, and also eliminating buying duplicate sets because now all you have to do is open your binder.

Happy Days to you.

Last edited by Sandy--O; 04-19-2019 at 04:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 04:40 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

I really like your system - just one question. Since you organize by company and then category, if you wanted a tree, wouldn’t you would need to look on quite a few different pages?

I probably would use a ring rather than a binder to take up less room when open and be lighter weight, but your system is similar to how I’ve been thinking of heading.
You must have an amazing collection given the 4” binder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 05:06 AM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the question.

When I first think of making a card, I might want a tree, then I would go to my "Trees" sub-heading. This MIGHT take me to the Brand of the stamp so I can see what else came with that set it belongs to. When I order a new stamp, I always go to Brand Names, so ordering from Stampin' Up, I would go to that Title page which would prevent duplications.
My "Trees" sub-heading is only two pages, back and front after all these 18 years.

Yes, I have a large stamp collection because I never get rid of any. This system is instantaneous in finding one itty bitty stamp out of the whole collection. With writing the stamp set name and brand above that itty bitty stamp, I can get the info of the brand of stamp plus the title of the set..

I do the same with the dies, but I find online pictures of the die set and catalog them that way. I get about 8-10 sets on one side of a single page.

Why do I like this system that works for me? Because as I age, and this many sets, I don't want to HAVE to remember it all (which makes stamping more fun), and at a certain older point, I might not remember everything anymore.

May all your goodnesses be blessed.

Last edited by Sandy--O; 04-19-2019 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Inky Paws (04-26-2022)
Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I really like your system - just one question. Since you organize by company and then category, if you wanted a tree, wouldn’t you would need to look on quite a few different pages?

I probably would use a ring rather than a binder to take up less room when open and be lighter weight, but your system is similar to how I’ve been thinking of heading.
You must have an amazing collection given the 4” binder!
Thanks for the question.

When I first think of making a card, I might want a tree, then I would go to my "Trees" sub-heading. This MIGHT take me to the Brand of the stamp so I can see what else came with that set it belongs to. When I order a new stamp, I always go to Brand Names, so ordering from Stampin' Up, I would go to that Title page which would prevent duplications.
My "Trees" sub-heading is only two pages, back and front after all these 18 years.

Yes, I have a large stamp collection because I never get rid of any. This system is instantaneous in finding one itty bitty stamp out of the whole collection. With writing the stamp set name and brand above that itty bitty stamp, I can get the info of the brand of stamp plus the title of the set.

I do the same with the dies, but I find online pictures of the die set and catalog them that way. I get about 8-10 sets on one side of a single page.

Why do I like this system that works for me? Because as I age, and this many sets, I don't want to HAVE to remember it all (which makes stamping more fun), and at a certain older point, I might not remember everything anymore.

May all your goodnesses be blessed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Ah, I think I get it. You wrote: “Next, get another piece of heavy-weight typing paper, title this page "Trees", write Page#1 at bottom, then stamp only the trees on this page, and above the trees, write in pen, the Title of the set (Ex. S.U. Lovely As a Tree)”

So on *that* page, you wouldn’t just have SU trees. You’d have SU, Hero Arts, any company’s trees. So when you’re ready to stamp a tree, you quickly can see trees from every company.

So your brand-specific pages just help by allowing you to see everything that’s in a set, while the other pages are subject specific. At least I think so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Ah, I think I get it. You wrote: “Next, get another piece of heavy-weight typing paper, title this page "Trees", write Page#1 at bottom, then stamp only the trees on this page, and above the trees, write in pen, the Title of the set (Ex. S.U. Lovely As a Tree)”

So on *that* page, you wouldn’t just have SU trees. You’d have SU, Hero Arts, any company’s trees. So when you’re ready to stamp a tree, you quickly can see trees from every company.

So your brand-specific pages just help by allowing you to see everything that’s in a set, while the other pages are subject specific. At least I think so!

Bjeans.... Yes. You've got it. In my organization of stamps, there would be Brand specific pages for the times I order so as to prevent duplications, or for the times I remember the brand that I'm looking for a specific stamp.

Then out of ALL my stamp sets from various companies would be the pages showing stamps (like all trees, all flowers, all leaves, all people, all animals, etc. from all brands). This way, in the sub-headings, I can see, for example, "Flowers", every flower stamp I own from all brands and quickly pick out the partivcular flowers I would want to use. Same way with any of the sub-headers "People", "Vehicles", "Leaves", "Animals", "Sentiments Birthday", "Sentiments Anniversary", etc.

I'm a 'happy camper' when I can find my stamps in less than 30 seconds.

Last edited by Sandy--O; 04-19-2019 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

It must also be helpful to see the entire set at times. I think I’ll adopt your system with one difference: There would be *set* pages and *category* pages that break apart sets, like you have, but the set pages would be by type of set: trees, birds, shapes, birthday, sentiments, etc., rather than by manufacturer.

Broken apart would also take care of the random stamp mushrooms that pop up - like little stars or hearts or other bits that aren’t completely related to the set.

I guess the one-off stamps - I’ve purchased quite a few from Rubber Moon and a few other companies - would still go on “set” pages and just duplicated on the broken apart category pages. (Who’s on first?)

Thank you for such a clear explanation and all your thoughts/responses.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 04-19-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

It must also be helpful to see the entire set at times. I think I’ll adopt your system with one difference: There would be set pages and categorized pages that break apart sets, like you have, but the set pages would be by type of set: trees, birds, shapes, birthday, sentiments, etc., rather than by manufacturer.

Broken apart would also take care of the random stamp mushrooms that pop up - like little stars or hearts or other bits that aren’t completely related to the set.

I guess the one-off stamps - I’ve purchased quite a few from Rubber Moon and a few other companies - would still go on “set” pages and just duplicated on the broken apart category pages. (Who’s on first?)

Thank you for such a clear explanation and all your thoughts/responses.

Beth

LOL about "Who's on first". I'll upload a few pics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Well the who’s on first was about my clear-as-mud explanation, not yours. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Many questions, and a pic is worth a thousand words.
This is the Ring Binder I use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Dies that are not from SU, I get the pics online and print out. SU dies I cut pic from a catalog sometimes. I also have punched out images from the punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Inky Paws (04-26-2022)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Well the who’s on first was about my clear-as-mud explanation, not yours. ;)

<chuckling>chuckling again....</chuckling>
Reply With Quote Likes