Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sizzix Foldaway?

Anyone have the foldaway? Review needed sorely. Particularly concerned if all the products and accessories used for the Big Shot can be used with this foldaway. TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2018, 05:37 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Per the Sizzix website:

"Included with the Big Shot Foldaway are a pair of Standard Cutting Pads, as well as the Platform, which makes all Sizzix components thinner than a Bigz Die compatible with the Big Shot Foldaway Machine. Add Wafer-Thin Die Adapter, and the Big Shot Foldaway Machine can even work with Framelits as well as other brands' dies and embossing tools! The diagrams on the Platform and Adapter offer easy guidelines about how to make the perfect Sizzix sandwich"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

New Foldaway user here. I am an old Cuttlebug fan from way back, but the handle was falling apart and the pressure was becoming uneven. I needed something that took up less space than the regular Big Shot. This Foldaway is wonderful. I cannot comment on using Big Shot plates/platform on the Foldaway, but I can comment that I just love it. I am able to use all sorts of dies (just as on my old Cuttlebug) with the plates included with the Foldaway. It is sturdy, design is well thought out, and works beautifully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2018, 01:48 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd suggest emailing Sizzix and asking. I had a look on the Sizzix website, and when I looked at Cutting plates, it listed compatability as Big Shot, Big Kick and Vagabond. No mention of the Foldaway.
However, when you look at the Foldaway info, it says this about the contents: Contains 1 Big Shot Foldaway Machine, 1 Platform, 1 Thin Die Adapter, 1 Pair of Standard Cutting Pads. So according to that, yes it's all compatible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I getting a fold away for Christmas, so excited
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2019, 01:48 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I'd suggest emailing Sizzix and asking. I had a look on the Sizzix website, and when I looked at Cutting plates, it listed compatability as Big Shot, Big Kick and Vagabond. No mention of the Foldaway.
However, when you look at the Foldaway info, it says this about the contents: Contains 1 Big Shot Foldaway Machine, 1 Platform, 1 Thin Die Adapter, 1 Pair of Standard Cutting Pads. So according to that, yes it's all compatible.
I called Sizzix when I saw the machine had been finally released in the US. They told me yes to all.my questions. But what threw me was exactly what you said about the compatibility of dies. However, I decided to give it a go and got one as a Christmas gift from reluctant grown daughters qhonhave branded me as a hoarder. I told them that it would be a replacement for the Cuttlebug 🙄. They brought that hook, line amd sinker. I will never give up my Cuttlebug and I got many die cutters both manual and electronic. Something about the green piece of goodness😂.
I haven't opened the box yet and want to do an unboxing on YouTube. It will be my first so, my game has to be on.
Thank you for your reply. I stepped out on faith. So now, the testing comes. I plan to test with the big shot plates, and also the platform that came with the Vagabond as well as the magnetic plate. Maybe I will throw in the precision plate for good measure. The only reason I will not use the original platform is that I no longer have room to open it fully. I rarely used it anyway. Used my Cuttlebug plates😂. Hard to give up that green baby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks for all the info! I have a Cuttlebug and it is beginning to show it's age. I had thought about getting the Big Shot and then saw the Fold Away model, but I have decided to stay with my Bug until he takes his last breath because I won't get rid of him as long as there is life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2019, 04:00 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I don't have a Big Shot, I have had the Spellbinders Platinum for two years now - it also is a fold away space saver that takes all dies (steel rule and thin) and embossing folders. I had the Grand Calibur before and am pleased with the improvements that were made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the fold-away the first part of January. It's now my travel Big Shot. I was carrying a regular one, then tried a Texture Boutique and a Sidekick. The fold-away got me back down to 1 machine but takes less room in my bag than the full size. I LOVE it!! (And all the plates that fit the regular BS fit the fold-away.)
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

TU for sharing your experience with the foldaway. I have not opened my box. I'm waiting to do an open box video 🙄🙄🙄. But I am excited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

All the plates, dies and everything which work in the original Big Shot work just fine in the Big Shot foldaway. I have both. I love my foldaway, the only thing it's not so good for are those dies which need medium pressure if they are not to emboss little dots where the cardstock release holes are. Conversely, the foldaway is great for intricate dies because of its greater pressure.
I use both machines, but if I was forced to pick one, it would have to be the foldaway because there are so many cool intricate dies on the market nowadays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my foldaway for over a year now. It was my first die cutting machine as I didn't have the space for a big one. It's been utterly brill. I only started having issues when one of my plates got too warped and the really intricate dies wouldn't cut cleanly due to the lack of even pressure. But one new plate later and everything is back to being amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes