Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cricut discontinuing Cuttlebug

Cricut is committed to making amazing products that expand the creative possibilities for all of our members. As we continue to come out with new products, sometimes we have to make hard decisions about existing product lines that we can no longer support. This year we’ve decided to discontinue Cuttlebug and Cuttlebug accessories. You can continue to find Cuttlebug products on Cricut.com, while they last, and at your favorite craft retail stores. We love your passion for our products and we appreciate your commitment to the Cricut brand.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie3View Post
Cricut is committed to making amazing products that expand the creative possibilities for all of our members. As we continue to come out with new products, sometimes we have to make hard decisions about existing product lines that we can no longer support. This year we’ve decided to discontinue Cuttlebug and Cuttlebug accessories. You can continue to find Cuttlebug products on Cricut.com, while they last, and at your favorite craft retail stores. We love your passion for our products and we appreciate your commitment to the Cricut brand.
Wow, thats surprising. Do they have another similar product that doesn't rely on electricity?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2019, 05:25 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

That’s crazy. I have the Cuttlebug and Big Shot and definitely prefer the Bug. I better buy replacement plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2019, 06:09 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

As always, a lot of them are for sale on ebay, and with the announcement, prices may go up. So for anyone thinking about getting a spare, this may be a good time.

With Big Shots and electric machines so prevalent, Cuttlebugs just may no longer be profitable for Cricut, too small a market share.

Mine is no longer used due to hand issues, moving on to a Gemini Junior and occasionally a Sidekick, but it’s a great little machine. My green one was donated because I “had” to have spa blue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm surprised to hear the news as well. I had my CB since they first came out and it was well used. However, when I purchased a BigShot, prior to my last move, I let my CB go.

Prior to purchasing the CB many years ago, I bought a Sizzix side kick which I still possess and very glad I kept.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #6  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I love my Cuttlebug! I bought it 14 years ago and it still works great!

As for the plates, I took my B and C ones to my neighborhood hardware store and they said they are able to make me some. They had three thicknesses of plexiglass and two of them matched my B and C plates fine. They cannot round the corners but my husband said he could sand the sharp edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I am still mad at them for getting rid of Expression 2 ability to use digitial images. This is icing on the cake for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I love my CB an have a spare but neither will do me any good if I can't find plates. I got a Fold Away Big Shot for Christmas an still haven't used it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 04:17 AM   #9  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbysGrammyView Post
I love my CB an have a spare but neither will do me any good if I can't find plates. I got a Fold Away Big Shot for Christmas an still haven't used it.

My CB plates have lasted over 7 years and are still in great shape, so you will probably get many years of use from your CB. I mentioned above that my neighborhood hardware store is able to cut me plates. Maybe yours can, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

JUst buy plates from SU..they basically are the same...I interchange them with cuttlebug plates in my big shot daily.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

I got some online from Joann and Michaels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2019, 01:41 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
JUst buy plates from SU..they basically are the same...I interchange them with cuttlebug plates in my big shot daily.

Check the width first; Sizzix/SU plates are slightly wider than Cuttlebug plates. I too use both in my Big Shot but am not sure that the larger plates will fit through the slightly narrower Cuttlebug (I don't have a CB so can't verify this)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2019, 01:48 AM   #13  
FiP
Kookie Creator

I have a cuttlebug. I don't know how the pricing would work outside Australia, but the Couture Creations die cutting machine, called the Go Cut and Emboss, has replacement plates which fit in the cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

mine was an original CB and I always had a terrible time cranking anything through it. I donated it last year to an assisted living home for their crafts department, but bought the Gemini Jr at the HSN Launch in 2017. LOVE it... I do still use my regular Expression quite a bit, and have the baby bug and the special anniversary edition expression with the 4 preloaded carts that I seldom use: way too many steps to make a single cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow! I’ve had my bug for at least 10 years-same plates and everything. It’s going strong!!

I better get some spare plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I love my Bug but can understand that nothing lasts for ever. However I think it is unfair to customers to stop making the accessories right away. Usually when a product reaches end of life the accessories are available for a good while afterwards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

My sense has been Provo isn’t the most responsive company. Plates are at Michaels, Amazon, ebay, Walmart, JoAnn - may be worth stocking up now since prices will probably go up as they become scarcer. At least they last for eons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2019, 09:44 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

These are available in Australia/New Zealand Crafters Choice Adapter B Cutting Plates - maybe these people or another manufacturer will see a gap in the market and bring out some compatible plates for wider distribution? We can but hope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Cricut discontinuing cuttlebug

i have had my bug for at least 12 years still going strong and have replaced B plates only recently for the third time.
I have taken good care ofit and still use it more often than my BS. I take it with me when I travel and it’s compact which is its biggest asset.

On the day I read here it was being discontinued (I am presently in AZ) I rushed down to Michael’s. I was assisted by the Manager because there was barely any plates there. He simply advised me checking back which I have, but no luck.

I agree it’s strange to suddenly have a product disappear instead of gradually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

When I heard I bought an extra set of plates. I had to order online from Joann & Michaels to get the three!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

My Michaels and Joann's have not carried cuttlebug plates in almost 2 years now. When I read this thread I ordered B and C plates through my local scrapbook store. Their supplier still have them on back order. I cancelled the C plate and told them to keep the B plates on order.

I have since purchased B and C plates online. Using my scrapbook store back order of B plates as a backup if their supplier even receives stock.

Lucky are those that can buy theys plates in a big box store!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Using self-healing cutting mats.

https://youtu.be/5usLpyC3pbY

Last edited by bjeans; 03-03-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

Cool new plates

Quote:

Just read cnsteele post above. She got a local hardware store cut her some B and C plates when she took in her used ones. Good idea. I love my Cuttlebug too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

Cool plates

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
These are available in Australia/New Zealand Crafters Choice Adapter B Cutting Plates - maybe these people or another manufacturer will see a gap in the market and bring out some compatible plates for wider distribution? We can but hope.

Someone suggested getting them made at a hardware store. Just take in your old plates B and C. I'm going to try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Just received my second order of B plates. I figure by the time these plates need to be replaced I will need a new die cutting machine. And by then I might be looking for an electric one instead of hand cranked.

My hands and fingers are getting arthritis and on bad days it's beginning to be difficult to crank the Bug!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Just received my second order of B plates. I figure by the time these plates need to be replaced I will need a new die cutting machine. And by then I might be looking for an electric one instead of hand cranked.

My hands and fingers are getting arthritis and on bad days it's beginning to be difficult to crank the Bug!

I feel your pain - or felt it, literally! I love my Cuttlebug and am keeping it (what if the electricity goes out?!), but my hands have thanked me 100 times for buying them a Gemini Junior. And it takes up about the same amount of space on the corner of my computer desk.

A newish little Sidekick is also used occasionally for little dies. I was worried about it hurting my hand but it’s very easy to crank, like butter.

But I’m still glad i have a couple extra Cuttlebug plates, and also the option of cutting up self-healing cutting mats like in the videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I feel your pain - or felt it, literally! I love my Cuttlebug and am keeping it (what if the electricity goes out?!), but my hands have thanked me 100 times for buying them a Gemini Junior. And it takes up about the same amount of space on the corner of my computer desk.

A newish little Sidekick is also used occasionally for little dies. I was worried about it hurting my hand but it’s very easy to crank, like butter.

But I’m still glad i have a couple extra Cuttlebug plates, and also the option of cutting up self-healing cutting mats like in the videos.
Thank you so much about your info about the Gemini Junior. I don't know where to start at looking for electric die cut machines. It will be something to look into.

My Cuttlebug has been going 10 year strong now. And you are right about what happens if electricity goes out. Will need a manual die cut machine.

You do know that when the Zombie Apocalypse comes there will be no electricity and I still want to be able to craft :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thank you so much about your info about the Gemini Junior. I don't know where to start at looking for electric die cut machines. It will be something to look into.

My Cuttlebug has been going 10 year strong now. And you are right about what happens if electricity goes out. Will need a manual die cut machine.

You do know that when the Zombie Apocalypse comes there will be no electricity and I still want to be able to craft :p

Yes, assuming the Zombies don’t steal our Cuttlebugs... though a pack of furious crafters might well be able to take any Zombies who dare mess with our stuff.

There have been some threads about the Gemini Junior and Gemini so when you’re ready, good stuff to read. The links can be found for you if you don’t quickly see them. And there are plenty of youtube videos. Jennifer McGuire also uses it - among other machines, and has talked about it in videos. My sense is that the size of Gem Junior has a wide appeal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Yes, assuming the Zombies don’t steal our Cuttlebugs... though a pack of furious crafters might well be able to take any Zombies who dare mess with our stuff.

There have been some threads about the Gemini Junior and Gemini so when you’re ready, good stuff to read. The links can be found for you if you don’t quickly see them. And there are plenty of youtube videos. Jennifer McGuire also uses it - among other machines, and has talked about it in videos. My sense is that the size of Gem Junior has a wide appeal.

Thanks again for more info. Maybe a christmas gift this year .

I pretty much want a simple die cutter as I only die cut from metal dies and use embossing folders. I don't need a supper fancy die cut machine that cuts other material. I am a simple card maker. If it takes to much time to complete a card or project it puts me over the edge. Simple and done I am. But I am trying to learn to watercolor better. Can you help me with that?

Don't want to watch videos too much as computer hurts my eyes if I am viewing it to long.

Just come on over, chocolate and coffee is on me, and we use the supplies I have. Sound Good??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks again for more info. Maybe a christmas gift this year .

I pretty much want a simple die cutter as I only die cut from metal dies and use embossing folders. I don't need a supper fancy die cut machine that cuts other material. I am a simple card maker. If it takes to much time to complete a card or project it puts me over the edge. Simple and done I am. But I am trying to learn to watercolor better. Can you help me with that?

Don't want to watch videos too much as computer hurts my eyes if I am viewing it to long.

Just come on over, chocolate and coffee is on me, and we use the supplies I have. Sound Good??
You’re on! Be there in a few hours...

About watercoloring better - are you just beginning, or further along and want to aim for the sky?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

>>

I am a little bit more than a beginner, but feel I can do better. Always want to aim for the sky but with my artistic ability I may end up in a tree top:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Default New to crafting just bought a CB

I literally just purchased a CB and just found it is being discontinued. Is it worth if for me to keep it? I assume dies will go away as well as the plates...should i just return it and put it twords and air 2?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Dies won't go away, there are many machines which work with dies and embossing folders. If you decide to keep the machine, you'll need to find a supplier of compatible plates (don't buy Sizzix Big Shot plates, those are slightly too wide for the CB)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Default Thank you!

Thank you for that information and for replying

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
Dies won't go away, there are many machines which work with dies and embossing folders. If you decide to keep the machine, you'll need to find a supplier of compatible plates (don't buy Sizzix Big Shot plates, those are slightly too wide for the CB)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicMagnet74View Post
I literally just purchased a CB and just found it is being discontinued. Is it worth if for me to keep it? I assume dies will go away as well as the plates...should i just return it and put it twords and air 2?

You can use many different manufacturers dies in the CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Default Thank you, ...the plates

So it really comes down to the plates being the issue with the discontinuation. What would be another good manual die cutting embossing machine? Thinking about the spell binder platinum 6.0 and returning the cb.. thoughts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilenemView Post
You can use many different manufacturers dies in the CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicMagnet74View Post
So it really comes down to the plates being the issue with the discontinuation. What would be another good manual die cutting embossing machine? Thinking about the spell binder platinum 6.0 and returning the cb.. thoughts
If size is an issue, try the Foldaway by Sizzix. It uses all Big Shot plates and accessories. I heard the Platinum was good, but make sure it will cut Bigz dies.
I have the original Cuttlebug and use its plates in my Big Shot 😂. On occasion, I still used the Cuttlebug. But found my other machines were more powerful.
We longtime Cuttlebug users also have an emotional attachment to our Bugs although many also have other machines including the electronic ones. But we curse Provocraft once again for not being smart enough to recognize consumer needs. They should have made a more powerful machine with a wider plate. If they did, we would not be scrambling for plates.
So, yes, return that Bug and buy another machine that fit your needs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

I’ve never purchased a die that couldn’t be used in my Cuttlebug, including full coverage dies from many companies - and I never checked measurements beforehand. Now the dies that are just a scotch too big are out there, I’m told, but they are far and few in between. The difference in size between most machines and the Cuttlebug is minuscule.

And if plates eventually die - and they can be used for ages, years even, and even straightened - plates can be cut from self healing cutting mats or other materials. There are videos and posts about that.

But there are other machines out there for people who might prefer to switch to another machine.

I use the electric Gemini Junior now, but have kept my blue Cuttlebug as back-up or if it would work better than the Gemini for anything, not that that’s happened yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

I have never heard such hogwash. By all means discontinue the Cuttlebug but don't discontinue the plates at the same time! Infuriating. :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

This makes me SO sad. I use my cuttlebug for nearly every card I make. I like the fact that it is manual. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo sad
Reply With Quote Likes