Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2019, 12:00 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you store your 12x12 papers vertically or horizontally?

I've stored my 12x12 papers horizontally for years. Forever actually. I've never gone vertical. But I'm thinking I just might try it.

Right now, I have 3 Iris carts
I have labeled each one with a category (Christmas, Cruise, Stampin Up, Solids, Patterns, etc) Then within each one, I store everything related to that category, whether it be cardstock, paper, stickers, die cuts, etc. That way, when I sit to scrap or make cards, everything is in one neat little box. It worked well for me ever since I've started using it. Well I haven't scrapbooked in YEARS and have just started back up within this past week. I'm not sure I like this storage system anymore. I started watching videos on paper storage and I've noticed a lot of people store them vertically into "magazine holder" type containers. Like Cropper Hoppers and I saw Totally Tiffany has some cardboard ones. I was intriqued and just might try it. I think I'll pick up a pack of the cardboard ones since they're not too expensive just to use for a while too see if I like it. Then I'll slowly start buying the more sturdier plastic ones.

Do you store vertically? Do you like it? I worry about the paper bending. Is that an issue? Does anyone have the cardboard "magazine holder" from Totally Tiffany? How well do they hold up?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I've stored my 12x12 paper in the Cropper Hopper plastic files for years and no problems. For me it's easier to flip through a vertical stack rather than pull out the stack of paper to find what I want. Stickers and die cuts as well as other embellishments have their own storage system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I always stored my vertically. I bought some magazine files from the Container Store which fit 12x12 perfectly. Then I could sort them by collection or type or color or whatever. Easier to flip through that way, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Both!
Pads are horizontal

loose sheet are vertical in Cropper Hopper files
My vertical files are too full to allow any bending
I like a more sturdy file

I think the Cropper Hopper is a bit more sturdy than TT
With TT I can not carry by the handles as the files are too heavy when full
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I love my vertical files! I have punch of OG's from Cropper Hopper (out of business, I think) and recently found some at JoAnn's. It is easy to organize then re-organize as needed and dividers make it easy to keep odd small stacks of things organized.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my 12x12 papers stored vertically as well, in cropper hopper holders.

The only ones that seem to bend are full stacks, like I get at Michael's, and I think that's a function of gravity. Loose sheets and things like SU packs are okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

I store mine vertically in Stamp-N-Storage paper holders. I put them in rainbow order and it looks so colorful and pretty in the vertical orientation! I have not had my papers bend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Vertically - both 12x12 and 6x6 pads. The only exception is four of one pad (!) with a linen look paper. Those are stacked under a desk on a make pretend shelf (an upside down plastic bin) and easily grabbed. Other 12x12 pads (not that many) were donated.

6x6 pads are upright in a frig bin.

12x12 paper is in this rolling cart that lives underneath my trimmer table (which is roughly counter height). First white/neurtrals/vellum/odd, then ROYGBIV, then double sided (DSP) by weird categories.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hanging white 13x14 file folders: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Large scraps and multiples of DSP go in these page protectors:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BC1F6O...ing=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, Totally Tiffany’s free organization challenge had a session on storing paper this week. She’s all about vertical. The video is long - it’s a class - but she makes good points. (I watched the paper session during her Fall session, but main points would be the same. My system was already in place but it helps keep me on track. She does demo her own products, of course, but makes it clear that other supplies work too. Fast forward to about 6:00 to skip class housekeeping items/announcements:

https://www.totally-tiffany.com/clas...zed-challenge/

And enjoy the process if you switch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought- if you're worried about bending/sagging of the DP stored vertically. I use sturdy things to "back" each vertical set of papers. Might be piece of a cardboard box, foam board, etc. Anything I can reuse. That way I don't have to worry about the papers bending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Btw, I first tried Cropper Hoppers in an Expedit cube, but it didn’t work for me. The angle - me to the Expedit - wasn’t the best so I’d pull out a file and have to rest it in front of me, which meant putting it back and pulling out yet another if nothing suited in the first one. It just was a bit awkward.

I realized I wanted to flip through papers quickly - with the entire “face” of the paper facing me fully, not angled or the edge inside a container.
I struggled with a solution and asked for help here like you are. Someone mentioned the cart, and then it was just fine tuning.

But others like cardboard or plastic files and would not like the cart. I do use plastic magazine holders for 8.5x11 CS on a bookcase, turned so the CS isn’t blocked by the plastic at the bottom. Jennifer McGuire demo’s that storage. But that’s for solid colors or packs of specialty paper, like Yupo, not patterned, or it wouldn’t work for me.

Sometimes - not always - it’s helped to imagine using an new organizing system. Literallly sitting where it would be and kind of acting it out. That’s saved me $$ and time.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-31-2019 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 10:32 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I both scrapbook (occasionally) and make cards (more often) and went vertical many years ago and love it. In addition to the vertical paper holders several companies make paper "envelopes" with different sized pockets on the outside. I use to them to store my paper, stickers, diecuts and some embellishments by category, like different holidays, vacation, pets, etc.

As a matter of fact, Cropper Hopper is still around, I think it's owned by Advantus, and they make this value pack that include a vertical storage holder along with a few paper holder envelopes. You can sometime find them in stores and definitely online.

Of course, for some categories, like Christmas, I have a lot of stuff and I use the 12x12 storage boxes for those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2019, 04:14 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris4436View Post
I both scrapbook (occasionally) and make cards (more often) and went vertical many years ago and love it. In addition to the vertical paper holders several companies make paper "envelopes" with different sized pockets on the outside. I use to them to store my paper, stickers, diecuts and some embellishments by category, like different holidays, vacation, pets, etc.

As a matter of fact, Cropper Hopper is still around, I think it's owned by Advantus, and they make this value pack that include a vertical storage holder along with a few paper holder envelopes. You can sometime find them in stores and definitely online.

Of course, for some categories, like Christmas, I have a lot of stuff and I use the 12x12 storage boxes for those.

After all the looking around, I think this is what I'm going to go with. Thanks so much.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I use these to store multiple packets of SU DSP. They are very sturdy and won't rip at all. I've put as many as 4 packs of DSP in one clear pocket.

Then I keep them vertically in a Container Store container, similar to Cropper Hopper ones, but they hold more and are sturdier.
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Ooohhhh, I like this idea. Thanks for the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
I use these to store multiple packets of SU DSP. They are very sturdy and won't rip at all. I've put as many as 4 packs of DSP in one clear pocket.

Then I keep them vertically in a Container Store container, similar to Cropper Hopper ones, but they hold more and are sturdier.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I use this brand of packets for my dies and stamps. Now I'll have to get some for paper too! I have my themed paper in containers, but like to have themes together. These will help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Years ago there was a company called Top Line Creations that sold pockets just like that. A friend gifted me 25 of them and for years I've been looking for something like them.

So thank you for the link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I've always stored horizontally, but I have never had more than 12 inches total paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I too use the Cropper Hopper plastic holders with dividers. Store 12 x 12 Vertical using this system. I have a few 8 1/2 x 11 so store them in heavy cardboard covered boxes horizontal . Plain in one box, patterned paper in another, scraps in third one..stacked on shelf. I also store collage materials/pieces , watercolor paper/pads, printed inspiration pages in document storage boxes, from Dwell Studio purchased at Staples. These are so pretty..look good on the shelf, 10 x 13 " size.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I store my 12 x 12 vertically in - of all things - an empty Pampers large box. It has worked perfectly for me as I can shove it out of the way easily. I've had it for years. The baby they were for is now 8 yo and my great grand daughter!! Didn't cost me a cent either.

Kathy's Knook
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else UK-based as we don't have access to a lot of the US storage (at least not at a reasonable price).
How do you store your 12x12s? Mine are currently upright in a large storage box. I've used old docrafts goody bags to separate larger pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to store my paper vertically but I now prefer it horizontally. It’s harder to get the pads on the bottom but the corners don’t get as dinged.
Reply With Quote Likes