Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2019, 12:11 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of jumping on the whole Distress Oxide Ink wagon.

I love the look that cards have when people use the blended inks on the background for the wintery sky. I only do Christmas cards (I make them all year 'round) I've only used one of the Distress Oxide inks (Vintage Photo) that came with a card kit I bought a while back. And I've only used that to ink around the edges of dies cuts or cardstock mats that I have on my cards.

I've never done the "ink blending" but really love the look and have been thinking of starting a collection of different colors. Do you think I should only start of with like 3-4 colors to get a feel for it? Or place my order which has 19 of them in it LOL I like the different blues, pinks, purples, etc.

And what are your favorite wintery sky color combos that you like? I've definitely looked on Pinterest and that's where I got my 19 color choices, but just curious what your faves are?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!

Last edited by maslex; 01-11-2019 at 12:17 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2019, 12:40 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

I 'jumped on the wagon' last year and bought all 5 collections over time. My excuse was that I didn't get many of the original Distress inks, and I really like the versatility of the Oxides. They are nice and bright for stamping, stamp well on dark cardstock and the separation of colours which you get when you spritz the ink with water is lovely.

If you're wondering about colours, here is avery 'dangerous' video, in which Tim Holtz explains which colours go together.....I say it's dangerous because when the 5th and final selection came out, I had decided I already had enough of each colour group to manage. Then I watched the video and changed my mind.

Ready? Here it is:

And here is a sample of the cards I made with them for Christmas cards last year. I took a selection of 2 or 3 shades of blue and in some cases swished in some yellows and reds for sunsets. I used mostly lighter shades as the dark ones can be over-powering.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of jumping on the whole Distress Oxide Ink wagon.-bethlehem-2018.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my, I'm heading off to work but will definitely watch later on today. What about the cheapest places to buy them?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2019, 03:21 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Place the order for all the ones you like . They are the only ink I have the full collection of, I didn't bother with the regular distress and just picked and chose. I like that they're good for stamping with and make beautiful backgrounds in all sorts of different ways. I don't think they replace the regular distress, but if I could only have one or the other I'd pick the oxides.

Winter skies - hmmm. Weathered Wood is surprisingly useful for skies, and (for Irish skies definitely) Hickory Smoke and Pumice Stone. I'd also add Tumbled Glass, and maybe Peacock Feathers. If you do sunrises/sunsets, then wilted violet, wild honey and one of the deeper blues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I did it. I just placed an order for a bunch of scrapbook paper and 20 Distress Oxide Ink Pads. I plan on getting all of them (or at least most). Here are the ones I got so far.

festive berries
faded jeans
milled lavender
stormy sky
shaded lilac
tattered rose
chipped sapphire
blueprint sketch
cracked pistachio
wilted violet
picked raspberry
black soot
dusty concord
spun sugar
tumbled glass
broken china
worn lipstick
seedless preserves
salty ocean
mowed lawn

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

You'll love them and they're so pretty on colored cardstock.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of jumping on the whole Distress Oxide Ink wagon.-img_9064.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Now that you’ve made the leap into the world of Distress Oxides, might I suggest you pop over to the thread discussing Picket Fence Life Changing Brushes? Lots of good info there about the blending brushes.
You will need sponges or brushes to use the DO Inks in the way you are planning to use them, and you may not have these in your stash yet.

I opted to take the less expensive route and get the makeup blending brushes from Amazon. The set of 10 was slightly under $14, which worked out to $1 per brush. They are nice looking/feeling brushes with nice dense bristles and have worked really well so far. The brushes do an impressive job with ink distribution, much more satisfying than my efforts with Clarity Brushes, TH round sponge applicators, round finger daubers and sponge wedges....yes, these cheepies laid ink better than any of those products for me and they cleaned up easily and didn’t shed hairs.

Enjoy your DO collection! You have a lot of fun ahead of you. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice color selection. I think there are a lot of good blends using those colors. I don’t have the brushes yet but they are on my must have soon list. Given the recommendations and samples here and on blogs I think the brushes would be a great add on to using these for skies, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When I make a sky, I like to use a little pink here and there. It would work for a Winter sky, I'm sure. I'm not sure of the exact names of the DO's, my "studio" is not where my laptop is, so yes, I'm too lazy to go and look!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I have quite a large collection of Distress Ink; original and Oxides. The Oxides are fun to blend and create backgrounds with because it’s just amazing to put some pink over top some brown or green and still see pink! As long as you have heat set the brown or green layer first!

The thing to remember about Oxides is that after you wet them they turn cloudy and hazy and “dull”...they “oxidize” when you get them wet. So for me, while the creation process is fun; when it’s all done I don’t find the oxidized dull look extremely appealing. You can use both original Distress and oxides together...but the original will always reactivate when they get wet again so you have to be careful what colors you put together.

You can also use a glossy paper with the Oxides and when you’re all done rub on a coat of Distress Micro Glaze to bring back a little “glow” to the colors. However when I did that I could not stamp over top of it anymore. Not with Archival or Stazon Inks.

So creating a sunset type sky and trying to stamp some silhouette trees in black did not work as I hoped.

The bottom line for me is that when it comes to creating a sky, either sunrise, sunset, or full on nighttime; I prefer the richness and the “glow” I get from original Distress Inks.

Editing to add that after years of playing with Distress Inks and using the Tim Holtz blending tools, sponges, cheap makeup brushes, fingertip and large round daubers; I just received my order of the Picket Fence Life Changing Brushes and LOVE them!! They truly are life changing! I have never been able to get the smoothest blends I see others get on videos no matter the tools or paper I switched to. But these brushes make it so easy! All other ink blending tools have been gathered up and put aside in my box of potential stamp sets and other craft items to donate away.

Last edited by cobby; 01-12-2019 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Default Need some help with this

I actually have not used either type of inks, I started stamping years ago when you had to go to a little stamp shop to get individual stamps on blocks and a black stamp pad. I have come back in the last few years to enjoy all the new ideas and tools. However, I want to slowly jump into the distress inks and wonder if those who are using them are buying the 3x3 pads or the 1x1 pads. I know the 1x1 are advertised as for "smaller projects" but I do want to start slow on the budget and don't want to get the wrong size. Any suggestions? Great thread, thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
You can also use a glossy paper with the Oxides and when you’re all done rub on a coat of Distress Micro Glaze to bring back a little “glow” to the colors. However when I did that I could not stamp over top of it anymore. Not with Archival or Stazon Inks.

This is a real coincidence- just seen posted on Facebook. This lady uses a baby wipe to wipe off the oxidisation from photo paper, and can still stamp on it after.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #13  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Yes, baby-wipes are what I've been using and I've been able to stamp.

My Own MIX by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers

TLC673 Sunshine Giraffe by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers

DTGD18Simplybeautiful The Greatest is Love by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

one of my favorite inks. I only have about 15 colors but I love them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Well, I just jumped in with both feet and ordered 24 colors. I love the Distress colors, so this should be fun. Now to find a place to store that many more inkpads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2019, 02:16 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I want to take the plunge on the Oxides, but I am hoping they will bring them out in mini. I don't have a lot of space, so the mini would allow me to get more :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2019, 05:57 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NessaLynnView Post
I want to take the plunge on the Oxides, but I am hoping they will bring them out in mini. I don't have a lot of space, so the mini would allow me to get more :-)

Unfortunately, your wait will be futile. Tim Holtz addressed this issue shortly after they were released. Something about the formula for the ink makes it unsuitable for use on mini ink pads. I know Tim talked about it in one of his videos, and explained why it wouldn’t be happening.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm another one that jumped in and got the entire collection - and the refills for them! This past year has been challenging as far as creative time, but I'm making it a priority for the new year, so I'm gong to spend significant time discovering all the joys of all of the different things you can do with them! I was initially drawn to them because of the gorgeous, soft blended backgrounds, but I've played with them for just plain stamping, too, and love them! I got these brushes: Yoseng Makeup Brushes 10 pc and this rack: Makeup Brush Holder 10 Hole to use with mine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

And.....when I can’t get an ink to cover well on polymer stamps, DO gives great coverage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #20  

Received 636 Likes on 362 Posts

Tim Holtz Distress inks or oxides.....since you asked about skies, I love using Stormy Sky, Shaded Lilac, and Dusty Concord. Or, you could just use Stormy Sky for a good color. And, I use a little Chipped Sapphire, at times.
F4A455, Staying Warm by Benzi - at Splitcoaststampers
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I also bought the cheaper, generic makeup brushes on Amazon...they work beautifully! I think these craft companies are playing a hoax on us to see who would really spend $50+ for the same brushes that can be had for $10-14! Makes.no.sense....especially since I'm betting they all come from the same 1 or 2 factories (sort of like our make up does)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #22  

Received 636 Likes on 362 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm another one that jumped in and got the entire collection - and the refills for them! This past year has been challenging as far as creative time, but I'm making it a priority for the new year, so I'm gong to spend significant time discovering all the joys of all of the different things you can do with them! I was initially drawn to them because of the gorgeous, soft blended backgrounds, but I've played with them for just plain stamping, too, and love them! I got these brushes: Yoseng Makeup Brushes 10 pc and this rack: Makeup Brush Holder 10 Hole to use with mine.
Sue, I got those makeup brushes and holder when you mentioned it sometime ago and LOVE them. Never enjoyed sponging as much as
when they came into my life. I have used the smaller ones more than
I thought I would to get into really small spaces.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Heart

Adding my adoration for Distress Oxides! Love the look on light & dark c/s, {{{heart}}} blending, such fun to create backgrounds .. yum!
Reply With Quote Likes