Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2018, 01:51 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making your own emvelopes

I'm going to start making a few different sized cards this year. I always have done the typical A2 size. I'd like to try a few 6x6...5x7...and maybe the long skinny ones (not sure what size tgise are).

I plan on getting one of the envelope punch boards. My question is.....is carstock too thick to make envelopes? Do you just stick with scrapbook paper? What else do you use? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 02:09 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Not made any yet, but I'd definitely say cardstock is too thick for envelopes. Card would also add extra weight & thickness for postage.That would be better for boxes, to hand deliver cards in.

I'd definitely say scrapbook paper/ designer paper for the job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 05:56 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I make quite a few of my own envelopes using the SU envelope maker board, which is made by WRMK and is the same product as that one (different color). I use scrapbook paper. I've gone through my paper packs and pulled out the ones I won't use for cards or scrapbooks - great way to use it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 05:56 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I make mostly all my envelopes. Cardstock is definitely too thick for just an ordinary card and would probably cost more to mail because of the extra weight. I use any kind of paper..scrapbook, typing (in colours) designer etc. and even pages from an old calendar you just have to make a mailing label for the address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, thanks. I just went through all of my papers and put aside the ones I don't really like for my scrapbook pages and will use those for my envelopes. Can't wait to try!!!

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

While I agree with the others about the extra weight being a factor in mailing costs, I did just want to mention that if one of your concerns was whether or not the punch board could handle cardstock okay, I even punch cardboard with it with no issues/effort at all...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I use cardstock to make envelopes for gift cards that I am giving in a gift bag, or just giving to someone in person. Can do some fun stamping and embellishing on them. And if you make a special card to put the gift card in you can tie everything together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I've made envelopes out of SU! card stock and have not had any issues mailing them. Nothing sent back, nothing delivered with requests for additional postage.
If you want to play it safe though, you can put the .21 extra postage for non-machinable items. This way, if they consider it non-machineable since they don't bend as easily, you're covered.:confused:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I love making envelopes with the punch board, I've had mine since WRMK came out, a great tool. Also fun for making other things. 6 x 6 envelopes are great to make with it since it's not a normal size. I like making 5 x 7 cards but since it's easy to buy those envelopes I typically don't not unless I have a theme going for a gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 02:44 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I love to make envelopes, too! There are so many fun options, including punch boards, templates from Paper Source, other templates I don’t have, as well as some I’ve made off of regular envelopes. Sometimes you just have to fold a piece of paper around a card to get the right size and shape out of the paper you have. Then do some neat trimming and go.
Like Sue, I am willing to make most any paper I like work, but some that are especially good are the 180 sheet pads of scrapbook paper (not cardstock) or the typical open stock scrapbook paper you can buy. Sometimes I have used lighter weight cardstock from Michael’s to make self mailer notes, which is also a lot of fun.
One resource I find extremely handy to have is the “Notice 3-A, Letter Size Mail Dimentional Standards Template” from the post office. You can order them online here: https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet...l/updt_009.htm. But I went to my district post office with a business mailing center, and I asked at the desk. Someone talked to someone, and a few minutes later a woman came out of a door I hadn’t noticed, and she just handed me one. I asked her how much I owed, and she said, “Nothing.” I keep my template right with my card making stuff.
Find out where your local Business Mail Entry Unit is, using this locator: https://ribbs.usps.gov/locators/find-bme.cfm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 03:17 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I use the Envelope Punch Board for all my cards as I like to make different sizes and shapes. I use Elmer's Xtreme glue stick to glue and seal the envelopes. Works great. One of the best tips I read on making envelopes came from this Forum and it's mentioned often in this thread and that is to use scrapbook paper that you aren't likely to use for a card. When you buy packs of DSP you get a mix and some of it you'll never use. Scrapbook paper is stronger than standard copy paper and a lot cheaper than buying envelopes if you are unlikely to ever use it otherwise! If you use one-sided patterned paper and fold the envelope so that the pattern is on the inside, it gives you an instant envelope liner inside and a clean white surface outside for the address! DSP is usually stronger than ordinary white printer paper. Another tip I got from a card group I participate in was to use 28 lb. white copy paper. It's heavier than standard copy paper (which is 20 lb. weight) and has a slight sheen. It makes a nice envelope too. Hammermill makes a 28 lb. paper in 8 1/2" x 11" size and larger sizes. I'm sure there are other companies that make it as well. I've also found this weight paper better than standard copy paper to use for printing digital patterned papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 03:32 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendelView Post
I love to make envelopes, too! There are so many fun options, including punch boards, templates from Paper Source, other templates I don’t have, as well as some I’ve made off of regular envelopes. Sometimes you just have to fold a piece of paper around a card to get the right size and shape out of the paper you have. Then do some neat trimming and go.
Like Sue, I am willing to make most any paper I like work, but some that are especially good are the 180 sheet pads of scrapbook paper (not cardstock) or the typical open stock scrapbook paper you can buy. Sometimes I have used lighter weight cardstock from Michael’s to make self mailer notes, which is also a lot of fun.
One resource I find extremely handy to have is the “Notice 3-A, Letter Size Mail Dimentional Standards Template” from the post office. You can order them online here: https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet...l/updt_009.htm. But I went to my district post office with a business mailing center, and I asked at the desk. Someone talked to someone, and a few minutes later a woman came out of a door I hadn’t noticed, and she just handed me one. I asked her how much I owed, and she said, “Nothing.” I keep my template right with my card making stuff.
Find out where your local Business Mail Entry Unit is, using this locator: https://ribbs.usps.gov/locators/find-bme.cfm.

I have had this template for years. My husband brought it home for me and I use it most every time I mail a card. It is doesn't fit through the slot on its own, I need more postage.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 04:31 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone suggested making envelopes out of pages of our catalogs or mini/seasonal catalogs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 04:51 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

By CS, are we talking the 110? Because it seems to me one could use 65# or maybe 80 for envelopes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 05:31 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I use those 180 paper stacks for envelopes with the pattern on the inside so you can write on the white outside and it looks lined. A tip is to measure your card corner to corner and add 1" to the measurement. They cut a square of paper that size. Lay your card on the patterned side of the paper so that the points of the patterned paper are lined up with the strait edges of the card (looks like a rectangle on a diamond) and fold the flaps in over the card for a perfect envelope every time with no template. Works for any size! and it is quicker than a punch board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 06:41 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I usually use the WRMK Envelope Board, (Before the board, I hand made them according to Carol Duval's Book- Paper Crafting with Carol Duval) If I were to need to make envelopes of an odd size (not on the board), I would use Carol's Book, page 44- 47.

Here are her directions for a Custom Fit Envelope: Create a cardboard Template- 1/4" wider & longer than your card. Wrapping the template in waxed paper will help keep the glue from spreading where it doesn't belong.

Basically, she has a sheet of paper she lays the cardboard template on at an angle, so the corners of the paper are at the sides of the template. (Hope that makes sense.) & folds the paper around it, creating the envelope. Then taking the template out, she snips away the little corners (This is where the Envelope Board punches...) Then put your envelope back around the template & glue the envelope together.

You can keep that template & use it over & over again too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 07:05 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to go to the library book sales and buy old Atlases. I'm talking about the big book Atlas, not the thin page road Atlas. These map pages make wonderful envelopes. I even use the index pages because all the paper in these books is sturdy and strong and make great envelopes. Barbara-----Petaluma CA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes I use cardstock for envelopes - like Neenah Classic Crest 80 lb. I gently score and crease, possibly scoring twice more gently rather than one mega-score.

Weight hasn’t been a problem for a typical A2 card, which for me is often base 110# Neenah Classic Crest or other heavier CS, a card front layer or two, and one or more die cuts. Other stuff is negligible.

Once I made an envelope really heavy CS and very lightly misted the CS with water first so the fibers would stretch instead of break. It worked, just. But that was pushing the envelope. :shock: It was the only CS that harmonized with a gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default What I have found

I have noticed that card stock is a bit to heavy if you are planning on mailing the card. In that case I recommend using standard scrapbook paper. Hope that helps!

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

When I make my envelopes, I usually use 25 lb. copy paper. I'm actually looking for Cream 25 lb. Copy Paper now. The Office Supply store usually has colored Copy Paper in a variety of colors & it's on sale every so often too! ;) You can further personalize your envelopes with stamping, etc.! Carol Duval did mention using Scrapbook Paper for making matching envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
When I make my envelopes, I usually use 25 lb. copy paper. I'm actually looking for Cream 25 lb. Copy Paper now. The Office Supply store usually has colored Copy Paper in a variety of colors & it's on sale every so often too! ;) You can further personalize your envelopes with stamping, etc.! Carol Duval did mention using Scrapbook Paper for making matching envelopes.
Me too! I use good quality printer paper for envelopes. It’s the perfect weight and so easily colored or embellished with ink blending, stamps, stencils, and other mediums. I love using my pan pastels and perfect pearls for coloring. I’ve even slipped a piece of watercolor paper into the envelope and used watercolor, followed with a pressing with my Easy Press that’s always ready for taming warped watercolor paper. I water protect mediums that may be damaged during mailing with Judikins or Tim Holtz microglaze.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Cricut a while ago, and started making cards shortly afterward. I found it easy to find cardstock and decorative papers that I liked, but when I tried to find info on what kind of paper most cardmakers used for their envelopes, the answer that I came across most often was copy paper, unless they were using patterned scrapbooking paper, but I actually like plain envelopes, so I went the copy paper route. But I just wasn't happy with them. After all the time and effort I put into my cards, the envelopes seemed flimsy, and like an afterthought. I wanted something just a little more substantial, something that looked like it belonged with the card inside. Something between a lightweight cardstock and copy paper. This is what I found..."International Paper/Accent Opaque Digital/70lb./White" I got it on Amazon, and it's just what I was looking for.

I was so happy with it, that I made a stack of A2 envelopes yesterday. Well, the Cricut made them. I had been using the We Are Memory Keepers envelope punch board, but it's so much easier to let the Cricut cut and score for me, and then just glue the flaps down. So if you're looking for something just a bit heavier than copy paper for your envelopes, you may want to take a look at this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
I'm going to start making a few different sized cards this year. I always have done the typical A2 size. I'd like to try a few 6x6...5x7...and maybe the long skinny ones (not sure what size tgise are).

I plan on getting one of the envelope punch boards. My question is.....is carstock too thick to make envelopes? Do you just stick with scrapbook paper? What else do you use? Thanks!
I love making envelopes with glassine, pages from an old street guide (showing their neighborhood), dictionary pages, french text from books, plain CS for mail art. If the card I am mailing is dimensional or with several layers I will make a card box envelope with the WeRM punch board. My lastest obsession lately is using sealing wax to close the envelope. I've been having too much fun with that. You can even close a favor box with it! I don't mind paying a little extra postage for very special cards once in a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I have used lightweight (about 65 lb.) cardstock for envelopes with no problem mailing them. I have never tried heavy copy paper, as mentioned here, but I'm sure that would be a good option, too. I have a stack (not too high, though! ;)) of lightweight 12x12" white cardstock that I use, if my envelopes are larger than I can make from letter-size cardstock. I do use the 1-2-3 Punch Board, too--love it even more than the Envelope Punch Board, mostly because it has an arm that extends when I'm scoring paper for larger envelopes! The "old" Envelope Punch Board was always lacking in that department, imho. I always had a problem with sealing my envelopes, though. I have used Scor Tape, but didn't like that the recipient might mangle the card inside just trying to open the envelope. I finally found a recipe for envelope glue, and tried it. It works great! I like that I can make a small jar, keep it in the refrigerator (to keep it from moldering), and just heat it for a few seconds in the microwave when I need to use it. You just paint it on the envelope flap, let it dry, and then can moisten it to activate it when you're ready to seal the envelope. I do have the jar lid labeled, so my mom doesn't try to use it for something else or, worse, throw it out! :shock: You can find the recipe at Joybilee Farm's website. It's even kosher & animal-friendly! Hope this helps!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

To give your envelopes more UMPH, you can always line them with designer paper! ;) I usually seal mine up with my Scotch ATG; Yes, even for mailing. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
Me too! I use good quality printer paper for envelopes. It’s the perfect weight and so easily colored or embellished with ink blending, stamps, stencils, and other mediums. I love using my pan pastels and perfect pearls for coloring. I’ve even slipped a piece of watercolor paper into the envelope and used watercolor, followed with a pressing with my Easy Press that’s always ready for taming warped watercolor paper. I water protect mediums that may be damaged during mailing with Judikins or Tim Holtz microglaze.
I have even gotten wallpaper books from the store . They will give them to you free. I usually put the pattern on the outside and die cut a label to address. Most people love getting them this way even with instructions on the inside. They say it is very creative
Reply With Quote Likes