Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Less is more/More is better...?

So...as I may have mentioned a time or six (or twelve or a bizillion), I'm on a constant mission to consolidate and/or downsize so that my craft is portable if/when DH and I hit the road. Here are some random thoughts (in no particular order) that I've been mulling:
  • Too many color choices! Do I really need 160 different colors of pencils or 166 alcohol markers or 60 ink pads of one line and 48 of another and 24 of another? I'm thinking that I may take a cue from companies that put together "blending sets" or "layering sets" where you have a light/medium/dark of that color that play well together, and have them for each main color group plus a few spares and call it a day.
  • Too much paper! I don't use most of it, and most likely never will. I have become very aware of the color ranges I tend to play with most, and the styles of dp that I am likely to reach for, so I should just limit myself to those. I seldom have the color of cardstock that I need (aside from neutrals), so I end up coloring edges with a marker or something. Why not purge the rest?
  • Too many shape cutting options! My Martha Stewart punch-around-the-page sets were the best thing ever once upon a time, but I reach for dies way more often now, and punches require real estate (no matter how you store them). Sentimental isn't a great reason to keep them...
  • Too many embellishments! A passing glance at my gallery will show anyone that I do NOT embellish! Every now and then you'll see an enamel dot or a piece of ribbon, but that's pretty much it. Why, then, do I have three drawers full of eyelets and brads and bling and wood bits and hinges and clips and ribbon slides and photo turns and spiral clips and fancy staples and...you get the idea...
  • TOO MANY STAMPS!!! This is the most telling category of excess, for sure. I am VERY aware that a HUGE portion of my current stash is hanging around for sentimental reasons. I've been eyeing it with the mindset of "if you didn't already own it, would you buy it?" and trying to do test-runs to see if I even like stamping with that particular image, but it's very difficult to be that objective. What I have done is put the "maybes" in a separate storage area to see how often - or even IF - I look for them.
I know that this subject has been rehashed multiple times, and none of this is new information, but as we move towards a new year (scary that this one went by so fast!), I'm feeling kind of encumbered and may get really crazy and do a "desert island" collection and get rid of the rest. Thoughts?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Now, I don't plan on living on the road. So my thoughts may not fit you, but I can definitely relate to some of what you say.

Ink Colors. I slashed my SU ink collection to a good selection of coordinating colors that I know I'll use. I have distress inks, although none of the oxides. They don't tempt me at all. I have the black/gray/brown collection for stamping for coloring images. And versamark. I would consider those all keepers.

Artist mediums. I am in a different place with things like pencils, watercolors, markers, etc. I do use ALL of my mediums...and the ones that I was considering getting rid of may be going back into circulation. I'm missing them a lot.

Paper. Of course, I have Neenah white, desert storm, antique gray...the neutrals I always use. I keep one pack of each SU paper that matches my inks. I do have some patterned paper I absolutely love and want more of (Cue up Julie Ebersole paper!). But I could stand to get rid of a whole large pile of patterned paper. I don't think I even know what is in the drawers in my closet. There's not a lot there but it is an area for purging for sure. It IS organized however! Ha!

Dies and punches. I have always loved punches. I have some that I use A LOT...and not only for cards. Punches might have to be one of the first to go since they take up SO much space! The special ones will stay, however. I think about 2/3 of them could go without too many tears. Dies take up so much less space. And I think my Bigz dies could be weeded out too. I only have less than 10 of those, but they hide in a corner of a shelf and don't get used.

Embellishments. I took all mine out (except sequins and pearls) and put in a box. I haven't missed them so out they'll go. I use more Nuvo drops than anything else.

Stamps. Now, you're getting a little personal with too many stamps! :rolleyes: I have already pulled a whole lot of what I don't, or won't, use, but I love everything that is left. That would be my very last area to cut back more.

I think that I would opt for one of those RV's with the extra room in back to put the ATV's in...only I would convert that to a stamp room!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 12-12-2018 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Sounds like the embellishments would be a good place to start!

I say “go for it” but then again I’m all for passing stuff on to someone who will enjoy it. Other crafters, schools, church thrift shops - whoever can use it and get it out of my way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I totally understand and agree with everything that all of you say. However I am too emotionally attached to all my "stuff". I'm 78 so I'm thinking that if I hold on long enough someday my three daughters will do the honors of downsizing for me. In the meantime I'll sit in my craft room and love and enjoy my too many ink pads, stamps that I'll never use again and all my many colors off papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 03:14 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I down sized big a few years ago for a move and it was liberating. Stamps went to Goodwill, paper and stuff went to a friend who teaches preschool and loves to craft with the kids. Embellishments and punches went to Goodwill or the trash. I threw away an organizer full of eyelets which I used to love and use all the time but I have only reached for them once since they've been gone. When something is gone, it's gone so train yourself not to look back, just enjoy the feeling of being less encumbered by stuff and get ready to hit the road! Good luck!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 03:47 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's never easy to pare down a hobby, especially one that follows trends. As an avid collector of stuff, I've developed some personal rules for limiting what I cram into any given space:
  1. Buy one, get rid of one. Get rid of two is often better. One must plan purchases to do this, but it is extremely effective.
  2. No subscriptions for stuff, even if I can afford it.
  3. Create a data base and keep precise count of what is in the drawers, on the walls, or dropped behind the table/work bench. (Also helps for insurance purposes should a catastrophe take them)
  4. Never buy more than can be used in 30 days. Unless there is someone with whom the great deal can be shared. Seriously - 30 consecutive days.
  5. If it hasn't been used in six months/a year/two years get rid of it. Find a time frame that fits your style and stick to it.
  6. Keep it out where it can be seen. This will help with all the other "rules".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 04:27 AM   #7  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

Reading everyone's strategies, stories, and tips is so interesting.

Sharing a 1200 square feet one-story home with a husband and three teenage daughters means I can't own stuff lol! But neither my husband nor I enjoy having stuff. In the first two years of our marriage before our oldest arrived, two of our three bedrooms were completely empty. No boxes, nothing needing stored, just totally empty.

I once read about being an underbuyer or overbuyer. We're firmly in the underbuying camp, to a flaw sometimes.

That all being said, I do have more than enough paper crafting supplies, but I have a method.
  • I have two sources from which I purchase.
  • Since one of those sources is SU! and I am a demonstrator, I limit myself to my required minimums.
  • I freely use and share my supplies. My daughters are welcome to use anything at any time for any reason. I gift and donate my excess makes to anyone who wants them (there is a nursing home here to whom I regularly supply cards plus I have a group of women that come over to make cards monthly just for fun). This one is my biggest tip! Don't hoard!
  • If it doesn't fit into my designated corner of our family room, then I don't buy it.
  • I don't browse stores or sites. I do browse stampers' blogs, read magazines, and gallery gaze here. I recreate using what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just jumping back in to say: I am constantly purging and passing things on, so my thoughts weren't so much about "How do I get rid of this stuff?" but more along the lines of "Is anyone in the same (or similar) boat as me?" I guess I am mystified by why I hang onto some of this stuff when I'm so excellent at getting rid of things that I don't use in all other areas of my life. I'm guessing that "emotional attachment" comes into play. I also have intentions (you know what those pave the way to) to USE some of the hoarded stuff (embellishments, especially - just not in papercrafts, most likely). I suppose I should map out some kind of definite plan for that and see exactly which items will fit into the plan and purge the rest.

I'm also waaaaaaay more selective about what I add into the mix at this point. If I have anything even remotely similar to what is currently tempting me, then I don't succumb to that temptation. Having said that, I will also say that, over the two decades I've been acquiring and using stuff, my style/interests/needs have changed quite a bit, so I've "outgrown" some of the stamps and such, and have moved in different directions that require different images, sentiments, etc., so I do still buy new stamps, just not as many as before, and I don't subscribe to blogs or emails or anything else. I know who has what I might want and only go there when I want/need something.

Anyway, thanks everyone for chiming in and adding to the conversation - it makes for interesting reading, for sure, and there are helpful bits in there, as well!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitely in the same boat. After living in the same house for 25 years, we downsized big time and moved to a smaller place. We are about to move again. I've culled my huge stash twice, getting rid of embellishments, patterned paper and ancient tools. I kept my punches but I'm about to get rid of most of them. I have lots of dies and the punches take up lots of space and are heavy. I have a large tub of old ink pads and plan to look at those also.

It's hard to let go but it's also liberating once it's done. It can be overwhelming to have so much. It's weird but I'm more creative with less stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think it's weird at all to be more creative with less stuff. I think when we're on "overload" with too many options, it stifles creativity. I know that's true for me, anyway. Now that you've brought that up, I'm wondering if that's one of the reasons that I don't make as many cards (or anything else) as I used to. Hard to know where to start when there's JUST SO MUCH!

I started this thread just sort of mulling things over, but I may have come to the conclusion that I will be much happier with much less. That's been true in general since we moved across the country four years ago and only brought what fit in the car. We sold, gave away or threw away pretty much everything we owned, including a huge portion of my stamping stuff. I shipped a box of punches and dies and tucked the Big Shot and a box of stamps (all unmounted rubber or photopolymer - everything fit in one file box) and a box of "everything else" (ink pads and embellishments, mostly) into the car with our clothes and my husband's tools. The only other things we kept were some sentimental items and photos. We haven't replaced much, either. We had to buy some dishes and some furniture, but we've been pretty Spartan about it. I still feel like there's more than I want/need, and that's more true in the craft room than anywhere else.

Thanks everyone for allowing me to "talk it out" to the point where I feel like this step is imminent and important. Follow-up question: Most of my stamp sets are incomplete as the result of numerous purges. Would there be a market for individual images/sentiments, do you think? I may get all ambitious and do a massive listing or something, if so...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I notice a lot of single stamps from sets (especially SU) on eBay, but I can't tell you how well they sell. When international shipping isn't a factor people might be more likely to buy than I am. Whether the time taking in listing and taking photos would be worth it for the financial return, I'm not sure either. I tend to feel not for me, and usually just offer stuff on FreeCycle when I purge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

After reading this thread today I am prompted to purge my ribbon stash... I will keep the "good" lace and string then get rid of the rest.

I don't make cards often and force myself to use ribbon on a scrap page just to justify keeping it!!

Why, I would be much happier and have more uncluttered space in my room by purging!
Next will be the bulky flowers!

I have been eyeing my punches and may purge a little but for the most part I use them, just not recently. I don't have many to take up that much space!

My Copics are making the purge list too, I do just as well with colored pencils or watercolor pens.

My DIL will be one happy crafter next year!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I, too, find myself overwhelmed by too many choices in my craft room. I am going through stuff slowly and trying to purge, but as my husband says I live in "a world of endless possibilities." That makes it hard to let go sometimes when I remember all the beautiful creations I've seen made with a product and imagine making them myself. Then I do nothing and the cycle continues. These discussions do help motivate me, though, and I have a box ready for Goodwill on the next trip. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been having similar thoughts as well with some of my stamps, paper and large Bigz dies and punches.

We moved our office/craft space from one room in our house to another (so Sue, moving across the country-YOU GO GIRL!) and I did a massive purge then. Got rid of 70+ SU ink pads and some others, half my patterned paper, all my watercolor pencils, some punches and 90% of my wood-mount stamps. Here I went through each one (did it "Spark Joy"?) stamped it and decided if I would keep it or get rid of it. I had broken up all (except Lovely as a Tree) my SU sets by this time anyway. I sold most of it at a used Stamp sale my lss hosted and the rest (which were my wood mount stamps and some odds and ends) I put in a box and posted on Facebook. One price for one large box. I had a lady purchase it that was going to use it in her church group, so I felt really good about giving her a deal and being rid of the stuff.

So Sue back to your first post, I was having the same thoughts about my SU markers. I had almost every color since 2003. I used them at first, but over the years less and less. Once I got Copics, I never touched them again. I finally listed them on Facebook and sold off the entire collection. I actually forgot all about them until today.

When we moved rooms, I put all my large punches in a storage box on my shelf with a nice label, I don't think I have reached for one of them since and that was 1 and half years ago now? I guess those can go too. And my colored card stock? I use about 4 colors from my stash of almost ever color every made. P.Ss- most of the colors don't match the ink pad I have for it, which is annoying to me.

I love my Distress inks and color most of my backgrounds, so I hardly ever need colored cardstock. But that is my Achilles heel, how can I part with it? I have parted with some of it, most of my purples for one and don't miss those colors. The rest of my pattered paper? I spent so much time going through the stack and keeping what I really loved, but I never seem to use any of it.

I have the same embellishment issue as well, 4 drawers full. I went to use one of my washi tapes for Christmas cards, and the tape was stuck. Like I couldn't pull it off the roll without ripping it into long, thin pieces. I don't know if it was always like that, or because it had been sitting in a drawer for years because I didn't want to use it because I might run out and never find it again. Same with the patterned paper. I love it, so I buy it, so I don't use it because I may not be able to find anymore and 3 years later my tastes have changed and now I don't even like it anymore.

It's a cycle I think most of us go through (except Nicole-I am trying to be more like her started reading "Zero Waste" if only I realized all this 15 years ago!!)

So lots of tangents and words, but Sue to answer your question, YES! go crazy on your desert island and breathe easier when you are less encumbered with "sentimental guilt" as I call it. For the most part, you can re-buy most of what you get rid of if you decide you can no longer live without it.

What helps me-when I see a card or idea I really like, I dig through my stash and find something similar to re-create it with, and I usually have it. It's like a game for me. That is a big reason I don't buy card kits, I have so many similar items, I could make my own kit!!

Last edited by staceylovespaper; 12-16-2018 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree with you all.
I have been working in a new space. Its been a year since I moved in my home and I just set things wherever there was an empty space in my craftroom. I've lived with it, worked with it, and now I definetly need to reorganize it. I've finished my Winter/Holiday projects. I packed up all the materials, emphemra, etc and stowed it away. It's time to clean, purge, condense, and organize.
No more stamps, I have new sets I haven't used. No more ink pads, I have enough and some to pass on. No more acrylics or spray inks, what I have will do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm afraid to hit the "like" button, lol, but thanks for adding to the conversation, everyone! I'm having cataract surgery on Thursday, then company through New Year's (sisters/daughters/grands), so The Purge (sounds like that movie) will have to wait until I can afford to make a massive mess. I'm itching to go through everything now, but my craft room is also my guest room and it will be hard for anyone to sleep under a pile of stamps or ink pads or embellishments. Once the holidays are over, though...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh, good wishes on the surgery, Sue! You don’t “sound” nervous. ? I’m weird about eye stuff but will need that surgery down the road and look forward to hearing it was not bad! Lie if you have to, please. ;)

BTW, I haven’t weighed in because your question stumped me. Why can we comfortably purge ABC but not D? I think sometimes it’s complicated. I recently was purging non-crafty items to donate to our go-to non-profit thrift store, Life4Animals, and two similar items stopped me in my tracks.

We’ve donated a huge amount to them over the years, and while sometimes it’s a little tough to let go, after reminding myself of my keep-or-donate guideline questions, I can usually forge ahead comfortably. But once in a while for no apparent reason, I get stuck. And I’m not talking about items that have a strong emotional pull. I know how to talk myself through those.

Those “D’s” force me to go back to the root, to the reason they were purchased, or what about them is different than the other 50 times that were boxed up. Sometimes it has to do with me. Sometimes it’s just my brain is full and I need a break. This last time it was the items themselves.

There are scads of lists of questions on line to help move people forward when purging, and the one I used to use - part of a live on-line class - was the one that helped get me off the dime. I hadn’t needed it for a while and need to find it again.

To good eyesight and good company -
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the well-wishes, Beth! I had the same surgery last month on my right eye, so I already know what to expect. Plus my sister (two years younger then me) had the surgery last year with no trouble.

I usually expect the best in every situation, and I'm seldom disappointed, so I'm a firm believer in the "fake it till you make it" and "maintain an attitude of gratitude" and all of the other platitudes that they throw out for positive thinking - that stuff really works!

I hear you on the stumpers - I still can't pinpoint reasons a good portion of the time, but I'm choosing to not pay too much attention. I'm going to give the "definites" away right off, then put the "maybes" in a box in the garage and wait for a while to see if I miss any of them enough to go looking for them. I'm guessing that they'll be moving along, as well, but I'm trying not to be too rash...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Since I'm home sick today I'm binge watching some fav Youtube videos.
Here's a good refresher for getting and staying motivated.
https://youtu.be/A2JClS3gAhA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

More motivation for you
https://youtu.be/K_HAabc9i2k
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the video links! I'll watch them after my sisters leave tomorrow...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, ladies and gents, we celebrated our family Christmas dinner early this year. It was a bit stressful since I had to work the 3 days before, but we made it through. I had to clean my craft desks off so I could make room for people to eat there. I have decided I really like a blank desk. So, for the less is more/more is less debate I am going to finally buy a ceiling light (going for a pendant/chandelier type) and have it installed along with a ceiling mount for my video camera; thereby having less on my desk, but spending more money. I have put this off for about 2 years, but after having discussed the pros/cons I have decided to make the investment. We have pot lights, but they are in the 4 corners and not over my craft table, so unless it is noon in the summer, I never have enough light.

Since I had a clean desk, I also went through some items and am making another box to de-clutter. I am not doing it true KonMari style, which is probably why I have to do it again instead of being done with it all at once. I got rid of about 1/3 of my 12x12 paper and this was the stuff I already went through once. It is back to the "I spent so much money on it and I loved it at the time and I was going to use it for a project" debate on why I kept it in the first place.
I also went through some of my pens. I find that if they are not stored in my craft desk I don't use them for crafting. I will keep you posted on the progress.

I was able to keep up with one of my decluttering tricks- I no longer keep old craft catalogs or magazines (mostly Stampin UP). I only have the current catalog, the rest I rip out ideas or colors I really love and recycle the rest. Even some of the pages I marked I found that since the 3 months it came out I either changed my mind about how much I like the idea, or can't figure out why I marked it to begin with. So true of so much of my stuff
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, or happy holidays to you and yours!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

De-cluttering and re-organizing is an on-going issue for me/us.
It really helps me to take inventory and stock of what I have, what I need to use and what I need to replace. Overall, I get a good feeling when I let things go that no longer spark joy or inspire me and that goes for storage containers as well.
And it reminds me not to waste my money on items that I may have had before, or buy the "newly designed/improved" items of something I already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacey and Bohodiva: Both of you make very valid and timely points. The "ongoing" nature of this declutter/organize project is certainly true in my corner! On the light issue: I have my desk under a window so there's a lot of light, but I've found that there's TOO MUCH at certain times of the day, so I'm turning the desk against the adjoining side wall so the light comes in from the left (I'm right-handed, so fewer shadows) instead of straight on.

I know that this sounds counter-intuitive to the purging concept, but I've recently purchased a few stamps (or sets) that will replace others that I currently own that are sort of similar. My style and the ways that I use stamps have morphed over the years, and the new stamps will fit the "new me" better, so the older ones will go. Included in the mix is a background stamp that has multiple vehicles that I can mask or fussy-cut or whatever, so the miscellaneous random others I have hanging around have effectively been consolidated on one stamp and the randoms can go. That's my latest approach to my room - which could change at any moment, lol...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
De-cluttering and re-organizing is an on-going issue for me/us.
It really helps me to take inventory and stock of what I have, what I need to use and what I need to replace. Overall, I get a good feeling when I let things go that no longer spark joy or inspire me and that goes for storage containers as well.
And it reminds me not to waste my money on items that I may have had before, or buy the "newly designed/improved" items of something I already have.
This is a big problem of mine!! I have to really try hard not to buy "that perfect storage item". I have so many storage containers and I am very often changing them out seeing what works and what doesn't, to the point where I may never stop if I keep them around. At least when I do buy a new one that doesn't work, I take it back to the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I find (empty) storage containers (which I may need that later) take up a good amount of space and sorta drive the need for me to buy something (I have a place to put it) if I keep them around, No, no, no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Stacey and Bohodiva: Both of you make very valid and timely points. The "ongoing" nature of this declutter/organize project is certainly true in my corner! On the light issue: I have my desk under a window so there's a lot of light, but I've found that there's TOO MUCH at certain times of the day, so I'm turning the desk against the adjoining side wall so the light comes in from the left (I'm right-handed, so fewer shadows) instead of straight on.

I know that this sounds counter-intuitive to the purging concept, but I've recently purchased a few stamps (or sets) that will replace others that I currently own that are sort of similar. My style and the ways that I use stamps have morphed over the years, and the new stamps will fit the "new me" better, so the older ones will go. Included in the mix is a background stamp that has multiple vehicles that I can mask or fussy-cut or whatever, so the miscellaneous random others I have hanging around have effectively been consolidated on one stamp and the randoms can go. That's my latest approach to my room - which could change at any moment, lol...
I don't think it's counter-intuitive at all. Out with old, in with the new. I mean in our hobby, how many times can you use the same "you're one year older stamp" before people will remember what the inside of their birthday card says? And the snarky ones are good one or two times a person, then you need a fresh one. And styles change every season, so it only makes sense your style would change as well. And we are purging and de-cluttering which to me means get rid of stuff that you don't want, use or no longer "sparks joy"; not becoming minimalists at least I am not.

And you sound like you are on the right track, having many uses for one stamp and knowing how you want to use it right from the start. That is a huge issue for me sometimes, I see something pretty, but hardly useful, so I really have to stop myself from buying it. I have gotten better but still not perfect.

Also, thanks for the tip about moving the desks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My weaknesses are ink pads. I have hundreds, they make me happy. I have small baskets of to hold basic die shapes and one to hold other dies. These baskets are small and fit on a shelf. They make me happy. These things are keepers and I use them. Moving 2 times in one year pushed me to clean out, sell and donate a lot of crafty stuff. The cute stuff(stamps, dies, embellishments ) seen on internet, videos ect made my money fly out of my wallet fast. Companies loved me, I was the shopper that bought almost everything shown to make the 1 card, or project. Then overwhelming feeling of "too much stuff" was pushing me away from my passion making cards for Military deployed overseas. Helped me a lot to listen to the frugal crafter again. Neighbor asked if I wanted to go to stamp/scrap show and I said no thanks. I have plenty of stuff I keep telling myself :] and I'm okay with what I have. :]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Happy New Year y'all!
I'm very pleased with myself ending 2018 with less stuff. I made a hefty donation to a local thirft store of storage containers, 12x12 scrapbook paper pads, packages of card sets and stickers/embellishments. It was old inventory that was not being used and taking up space. If I haven't used it 5-10 years why am I hanging on to it?LET IT GO!

In addition, I switched to ArtBin satchels: 2- semi satchels, one to hold folded card bases and envelopes and another to hold 4x6" paper pads; and 1- full size satchel to corral 6x6" paper pads and larger cards. Neither of them are full so I have room for growth, but I will not exceed the alotted storage space.

https://www.amazon.com/ArtBin-Storag...96434441&psc=1

https://www.dickblick.com/products/a...ALw_wcB#photos

Winter season embeilishments, paper/cardstock, stamp sets are being stored in a big decorative Christmas box (6x14x14") with magnetic flap which I found at Joann's at 70% off. Pre-made seasonal cards are in a snowflake photo box. Both are tucked away on the closet shelf out of my way until needed.
https://www.joann.com/organizing-ess...sz=28&start=29

I feel more organized entering 2019, but I still have work to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Awesome progress, Bohodiva! I just finished packing up Christmas (the tree, ornaments, all other decorations) and putting away the extra bed so I can re-assemble my craft space and get to work! DH is getting on a plane in the morning and won't be home until Friday night, so I'll have no distractions and expect to really make some serious headway. Further bulletins as events warrant... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I'm new to papercrafting, I've already amassed a good sized stash of stamps, paper and inks, along with all the other "necessities" like embossing powders, stickles, a heat gun, glues, tape, dimensional foam, etc., etc., etc. Not sure how much I've spent on all this, but it's a lot. So I'm already at the point where I've made a New Year's resolution about not buying more.

I need to stop looking at Pinterest and You Tube, and wanting to make every card I see. I need to realize that I have enough supplies already to make cards for a very long time. Exactly how many slightly different shades of any color ink do I really need? I need to stretch my imagination and use what I already have.

I'm also trying to DIY as many supplies as possible. I've made my own shimmer mist. I learned from You Tube that acrylic paints (which I already have a ton of), mixed with a little glycerine, can but used like distress inks for blending. I found dimensional foam at the dollar store, along with the eyeshadow that I used to make the shimmer mist. I also got baby wipes at the dollar store for cleaning my stamps. Cheap makeup brushes from Amazon, that look like the Clarity brushes, work great for blending inks.

Being organized is key to be productive. If you can't find it, you can't use it. I used the Cricut today, to make nice, easy to read labels for all my hanging file folders. Being organized is still a work in progress.

So the goal for the new year is definitely less is more. Less spending on more stuff, and learning to DIY what I do need, so spending less. Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome to Splitcoast bluerambler! You're smart to be paying attention early on in the organization of "stuff" - many of us waited until the need was dire before figuring it out. You may want to follow others' method of cataloging everything in Evernote. There's a thread about it HERE. I started once upon a time but it was too daunting for me at that juncture. After I do my purging/downsizing I may decide to jump in again...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I started the de clutter process without making much of a dent. I had a goodly sized box that I sent to my DIL.

I kept only the grey shades of Copic and got rid of the rest along with the refills.

I packed up the trim and ribbon I knew I would never use and was able to "open up" one drawer for something else. Only 3 more drawers and 10 jars to go! I did not want to overwhelm Peggy right off the bat.

I did not get rid of any punches.
I have not missed any of what I have given her in fact I almost forgot I purged them as they had not crossed my mind.

If I do not use my 6x6 papers this year I will give Peggy another drawer full, then need to work on finding a new home for more ribbon.

I will be cleaning out my scrap bins in 2019, they are all organized by color and easy to find I just have too many and don't need to keep the small pieces!!

It's a good thing to re organize during the year as like has been mentioned you "find" things you had not thought of in a long time and it feels like "new" again!
Reply With Quote Likes