Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2018, 06:34 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I need some advice on doing a French Knot.

Hi, I just got the Christmas Sweater and am having issues trying to do a French Knot. I have watched videos on youtube, so I know the "how to" but I don't understand about the end of the thread. I was told a FK is the easiest to do, which I can tell it is. But can anyone please tell me what to do with the tail? None of the videos I have watched, show you! When I do my FK, all the thread comes back through. Again, I know how to do it, but the tail is confusing me.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you. (And I have never sewn in my life. I've only threaded needles, but I know this is easy).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, try having a look at this blog, she gives really clear instructions for you. It says Part One, so I assume she has more posts there on the subject. I did see another item on my Google search, that said to return the needle through the fabric a couple of threads away from where it came up, as otherwise the whole thing will just pull through if you go back down the same hole.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

shazsilverwolf, thank you so much for the link. I will check that out. What you sent is very helpful and I appreciate it. I think, for me, I may end up having to have someone show me this in person. It's hard to understand the mechanics for this. I'm going to save that link and see what I can do. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 495 Likes on 164 Posts

I have never been able to do this knot...I’m left-handed, so a lot of videos and tutorials don’t work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Hi ChrisO. I'm left handed (I write with my left hand), but I cut (use scissors) with my right hand. I don't think; though I may be totally wrong, being left or right handed would matter. Again, I may be wrong. I thread a needle with my left hand, but shoot a gun, using my right hand. I will keep trying. As frustrating as it's getting, I'll just try to remember: Practice makes perfect! Haha! Thank you for your comment! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Lamborghini Gal, you aren't alone. Before I became obsessed with paper-crafting, I was an avid cross-stitcher. I HATED French knots. I even had someone show me how, but mine either completely fell apart, or just didn't look right. Honestly, I tried to find other alternatives - anything, just so I didn't have to make those silly knots, LOL.

Sorry, I have no advice. I just wanted to tell you that it's not you - it's the knots.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

BashfulStamper, you are so kind. Your words made me feel SO MUCH BETTER! They really did. I feel like sometimes, things that are so easy for others to do (and understand) are very difficult for me. I'm glad I'm not alone. Thanks again for your very kind and compassionate comment. <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Shaz is right, you do have to put the needle back down a couple of stitches away from where it came up when sewing. But since paper has less "give" (usually a big pain when sewing on it) I do find it possible with care (and so long as the knot has a couple of twists) to pull it back down in the same hole. Is this a die that has holes for you to stitch through?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Cook22, yes. This particular die does have holes you can stitch through. Here is a link to the video (and the die I got). Thank you for your comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUVG...eL9OP5lY713Ajg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I also *used* to do a lot of embroidery. French knots. Colonial knots. All those beautiful Brazilian stitches. Looks beautiful. There's some tricks to French knots.

The BIGGEST deal is that you have to have your needle point the right direction on the thread. If you don't you won't get a knot.

Watch this video. It will REALLY help you master French knots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Cq24d5-8s
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

fionna51, I bet your embroidery was beautiful. Thank you for the tip on the direction of the thread. The video was a huge help. I put that under my favorites on youtube. Thank you so much! :-) Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

My tail keeps coming out. I've seen videos where they say you do go back through the same hole, as well as other videos where they say you go right near it, but not through it. I guess it's a personal preference. I've only been working on this all day, and still can't get it. But I just started today. I see why I never bothered with sewing and quit home economics in school now!! LOL Not sure if this is my forte'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Are you cutting your thread after you do each knot? Carrying the thread over to the next stitch will help. Also, before you do the first knot, after coming up through the hole, tape the tail of the thread to the back.

You can also use more strands of thread, or use thicker thread.

When I do French knots, I use a foam pad underneath my work. After I wrap the needle and start back through the hole, I park the needle in the foam. This allows me to take my right hand to the back of my work, and gently pull the thread so you won't end up with tangles.

And the milliner's or straw needle recommended in the video Diane linked is key for me.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 12-30-2018 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2018, 05:18 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Hi uncbballfan, yes I am doing all that. I don't cut the thread and I do tape it on the back. I have a foam pad. Since I am left handed (for me), I use my right hand for the needle and pulling it through. I saw that kind of needle, recommended. Thank you for your tips. I'm going to try again today. I have done two, really good FK, yesterday, but then I had issues. I just have to try to remember two things: Practice makes perfect and everyone was a beginner at one time! :-) <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 06:12 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Check out the video on this tutorial - I explain french knots in there, and Chris, I am left handed, so maybe this explanation will work for you! That section starts at 2:28.

No-Line Piercing Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/swPIdAlUgFM?start=148" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

That video is freezing, except for the talking. I'll check back later. I look forward to watching that. Thank you Dini, for sharing your video with us! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, I'm wondering if the freezing issue is a YT thing. I was having the same issue last night when I tried to watch something from my news feed. Try clicking on the YT button so that you actually go to YT to watch it. That worked for me last night.

I have never done a french knot for paper crafting but I am a leftie & have never had issues when sewing. A french knot and tying off the end of a thread are the same thing, for me at least. As long as I keep that in mind, easy peasy - basic sewing skill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did French knots when I was cross stitching and had a problem with them till I learned to hold onto the thread after wrapping the thread around the needle while pushing the needle thru the fabric or paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Stampin Stacy, the video won't play at all now. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm sure it will eventually work fine.

I've never sewn, so this FK stuff is hard, for me. I'm left handed, but I know I just need to keep practicing.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Southgirl, I have tried that and LOL...…….I don't know, it's just hard for me. But I'm going to be the little train that kept trying. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default French knots

one way to get a pretty, dimpled knot - after wrapping the thread and before going back down a thread or two from the original hole, hold the thread against the base fabric with your other thumb as you draw the thread down slowly. This keeps the thread from twisting and you get more consistent shapes. Try to keep your strands of thread flat. If you are using DMC etc., separate the strands and smooth them together before stitching. (Strip it, stroke it, and lay it flat.) lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

leeleeb, thank you for the great tip!! I love that, "Strip it, stroke it and lay it flat" comment! LOL :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

I see you're in Raleigh. I tempted to drive 3 hours just to show you in person.

Have you tried practicing on a piece of cloth? Practice on a pair of jeans. If you get the hang of it, you can cut the knots off easily.

Go to a fabric store; I'll bet you will find someone there who can show you how to do the French knot.

Something just clicked - you keep saying that the tail keeps coming out, or that you don't know what to do with it. If you're finished with the French knot, just tape the tail down to the back of your work and snip the thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

uncbballfan, LOL!!!!!! Thank you for the tip on the tail. As it turns out, I did figure out to have more of a long tail. The problem I'm having is, well, who knows! I know you can't do a French knot the first time and it takes a lot of practice, so hopefully, eventually, I'll get it. I may try on a piece of cloth or fabric, like you mentioned. I will probably end up asking a neighbor to help me. While they do look easy and are, to a point (no pun intended), they are anything but. Loved that comment on being tempted to drive to Raleigh. That made me laugh. Thanks again! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default French Knot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamborghini GalView Post
Hi Cook22, yes. This particular die does have holes you can stitch through. Here is a link to the video (and the die I got). Thank you for your comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUVG...eL9OP5lY713Ajg

I wrap my needle 2 or 3 times when using embroidery thread depending on the size of the needle. Thicker threads usually only twice. I watched the video above and I think she is actually not putting the needle back down through the hole she came up through but slanting the needle a bit and almost tucking the point under the hole in the top piece of cardstock to insert it into the lower piece of cardstock and then pulling the knot tight against the paper. If you absolutely have to go back through the hole you came up through, then your knot needs to be larger than the hole so it won’t slip back through. You can make a larger knot by wrapping the thread 2-3 times around the needle but sometimes the knot ends up sitting up too high.

Last edited by robshop; 01-05-2019 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Auto correct words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you, Robshop. I see what you are talking about, with the girl slanting the needle. Thanks for the suggestions, too! :-)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes