Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your favorite brand of envelopes to use?

Just looking for different brands of envelopes. I'd like to start getting a nice variety of colors for my cards. Side note......I ONLY do Christmas cards, so basically I'd be looking for white, vanilla, kraft, red, green and blue. And I have only made A2 cards in the past but would like to start making a couple different sizes this year (like 6x6 and 5x7) See how that works out.

I assume places like Staples sells envelopes but do they sell in the A2, 5x7 and 6x6 sizes?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I order my envelopes from Amazon; just type in the size you need; A2, A7 [5 x 7]. I make a lot of 5 x 7 cards so I ordered a box of 250 self sealing white envelopes in 2013 and I'm almost out of them and will reorder soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Keep in mind quality of the envelope is the first impression a receiver has of the the card you have lovingly made. A chintzy envelope that has torn at the edges during mailing is not the first impression you want to make - or at least the first impression I want to make.
Though there are quality envelopes available on Amazon, it is best to shop carefully. Read the reviews and look for indications that the envelopes are of a nice weight and quality. I personally have an aversion to self-seal envelopes- the pre-glued strip makes the envelope look like something a commercial business would use. What’s wrong with taking the time to lick an envelope? I’m just sayin....
As for colored envelopes (other than white, Off white and kraft), unless your envelopes are a close match to the color of the cardstock you are using on the cardbases , they can look really odd when paired together. I do lots of colored card bases and have a drawer full of colored envelopes. Rare is the time when I actually use a colored envelope to send the colored card;they just tend to look better in a a white or off white envelope.
I guess what I’m saying is that you don’t need to have oddles of colors for envelopes. If you stick to neutrals and buy the best quality you can find, you will not be sorry. There is something satisfying about tucking a handmade card into an nice heavyweight quality envelope. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use white envelopes from Amazon-Desktop brand, A2 32 bond. They come in packs of 100 and are a nice, not flimsy weight. I often die cut a coordinating lightweight envelope liner. Sometimes I die cut the liner out of silver or gold wrapping paper. I use the Papertrey Ink envelope liner die. This is sold out at the moment and maybe forever. I think Altenew has one also that has some added decorative options. Simon probably does too. I’m thinking all A2 envelopes have a standard sized boxed off flap but I’m not sure of that.

Last edited by maryalena; 12-28-2018 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I use white envelopes from Amazon-Desktop brand, A2 32 bond. They come in packs of 100 and are a nice, not flimsy weight. I often die cut a coordinating lightweight envelope liner. Sometimes I die cut the liner out of silver or gold wrapping paper. I use the Papertrey Ink envelope liner die. This is sold out at the moment and maybe forever. I think Altenew has one also that has some added decorative options. Simon probably does too. I’m thinking all A2 envelopes have a standard sized boxed off flap but I’m not sure of that.
The Desktop brand is what I also order from Amazon both in A2 and A7 sizes. They are a nice weight and look good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 04:49 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the rounded flap on Memory Box envelopes but they can be tough to find. Birch Press has some, and Impress has a few colors. Once when I ordered from them by phone they had more colors than they showed on line. I don't know why white isn't showing up - I have a bunch of white and neutrals, but also love using a color when it suits the card. Apparently the owner of Memory Box has the envelopes manufactured when the mood strikes.

https://birchpressdesign.com/Crafts/...nvelope-Packs/

https://www.impresscardsandcrafts.co...name=envelopes

In case anyone is interested, here are more colors, but they only sell to retail stores. 25 Envelope Pack

Hero Arts has nice envelopes with a fancy flap. They could add a little something to fancier, swirlier cards than mine.
https://heroarts.com/search?type=product&q=envelopes

The Paper Source has nice deep-V flap envelopes, if you like that look, plus some other sizes:
https://www.papersource.com/search/g...om&w=envelopes

And you can visit Staples website to see their envelopes - and Office Depot/Max too.

Last edited by bjeans; 12-29-2018 at 04:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 05:19 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I like Cougar envelopes. I get a pack of 250 from a paper mill store for about $12. they are white (never asked about other colors) and nice quality, but are not thick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2019, 12:59 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I like Cougar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I personally have an aversion to self-seal envelopes- the pre-glued strip makes the envelope look like something a commercial business would use. What’s wrong with taking the time to lick an envelope? I’m just sayin....
Just a little food for thought, in case you hadn't thought of this...
Personally, I have a heavy-duty aversion (read: pretty severe anxiety) to licking envelopes... The texture, the taste that stays in your mouth for a long time afterwards, the chance of a paper cut on your tongue, the way the paper often wrinkles up afterward... I seriously HATE licking envelopes, to the point where I will get a wash cloth and wet it to "lick" an envelope, even if I risk being ridiculed by those around me. For me, the self-sealing envelopes are worth the extra money spent, because they are never cheaper... As a mom of a special needs child with serious tactile aversions (the neuroses don't fall far from the tree, Hahaha), I am very sensitive to others who have ummmmm.... preferences... for certain things, lol.
All this to say, don't be insulted if you get a card from me in a self-sticking envelope. It actually doesn't mean anything about you, the receiver, but rather MY WEIRD.

Last edited by MamaSchwich; 01-03-2019 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Sometimes I pick the wrong words, haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I suspect only people who make cards will realize if a red isn't an exact match. I have noticed lately Hallmark is not matching either. For some odd reason they are doing a lot of kraft envelopes for non kraft cards I saw today.

Gina K and SSS both have colored envelopes. Many companies who have colored stock have envies to match.
Heinrich sells a huge variety of envelopes but in large qty.

I have a Jam paper store in my city so I can go there and root around in their bins-they have great prices on what I would guess to be overruns or whatever....but you can buy online too and not huge qties and various shapes.

This is the A2 page
https://envelopes.jampaper.com/search?w=A2%20envelopes

think about what # weight you want first. That will help you search.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Years ago I needed special envelopes (A2) and found them locally at xpedx, which apparently has been taken over by veritivcorp.com. I just found thepapermillstore.com and their prices are very competitive so I'll check them out and see how much shipping adds. I used to enjoy going into the xpedx store to see the colors and touch all the different finishes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2019, 02:53 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I have always used Stampin up. For years their white envies were fantastic-glossy and heavier weight. They were luxurious!

Then quality went down a bit but they are nice enough I still buy them.

For colored I buy Gina K. Excellent quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I have always used Stampin up. For years their white envies were fantastic-glossy and heavier weight. They were luxurious!

Then quality went down a bit but they are nice enough I still buy them.

For colored I buy Gina K. Excellent quality.

My favorite envelopes are still the SU in both paper and clear. Which reminds me, SAB is a great time to stock up on essentials! I am running low on some of my colored cardstock and envelopes, and finally decided on a green to fill in the gaps...Shaded Spruce! I find I'm leaning more toward cooler colors this year and hope that is one of them!

Last edited by bzzzeee; 01-06-2019 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2019, 02:31 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Easy solution for dealing envelopes, just use a simple glue stick to activate the envelope adhesive, quick and easy peasy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deal

Today at Michaels on the Christmas clearance I got 50 #9 envelopes that are red foil lined for $2! Great deal. I'll use them for BIG Valentines!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

For A-2 I use SU or Staples. For small and large business envelopes I use Staples. I have more trouble finding envelopes for 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 cards. The one place I used to get those, and other hard to find standard sizes, closed. The last place I ordered from sent me a crumpled pack. There was nothing wrong with the packaging it was mailed in, so I know they sent me goods damaged in the warehouse. I had to go through the whole rig-a-marole of taking pictures of the envelopes, the box it came in and a sample envelope before they reluctantly sent me another package---a different style and without a gummed flap and of poorer quality. Not shopping there anymore! So now I'm glad to see so many suggestions where I might find what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I made the mistake of not realizing I ordered self sealing envelopes. They don't stick! Thank Goodness the envelopes sat a bit before I took them out to the mailbox to be picked up. All the flaps were opened. I have to use tape on them to keep them closed. Real tacky but I'm using them until they are gone-almost have a few left.

I have bought from Amazon Columbian white invitation envelopes size A2, 100 count for $7.99. Been very happy with these. Also buy A2 size envelopes from SU.

Must look into other stores listed in this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I got hooked on the Recollections envelopes at Michael’s in the color Ivory.
About $5.00 for 50 envelopes.
They also have a nice Kraft color. Good for man cards.
(Their white ones are just too dull white for me).
And......they stay sealed!
Reply With Quote Likes