Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question after long absence

I nearly forgot about this site but am “catching up” a little now. Here’s another question: I did not post before but I read a lot. I only recognize one name here now. Where did everyone go? I remember some names and I looked in the gallery but even that has been two or three years. I remember SC as being pretty fast paced. Now some places have no posts for weeks! Has Pinterest taken over? Some blogs that I was sent to in another post have lots more traffic. Or maybe I am doing something wrong. I have never really been active here or any other board
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

In comparison to a few years ago, it seems the boards are very quiet. Many of the friends I made no longer visit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome! Yes, sadly our favourite place to come and chat about card making etc has quieted down over the years. It’s a shame but what do you do? For myself, I post my cards to Pinterest rather than my gallery here. I find it easier and more people can enjoy them if they wish. So it stands to reason that if others do as well, there is less traffic here. I do come every day though, to see what burning topics are arising, and possibly add my 2 cents.

I hope you jump in and add to the conversations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

In 2009, I visited here each day as I battled breast cancer. A great place to read crafty tips, laugh and view beautiful, beautiful cards. A place where I did not have to think about or read about breast cancer. This site helped me to heal. I still read all the posts two or three times a week and I miss all the conversations that were once available. I especially want to thank Buggainok for all of her kind comments. Sadly, she passed away this year. Big thanks, SCS and everyone. Welcome, 2019 and to many more posts to read!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So many card makers are now on Facebook and Instagram too. Lots of facebook crafty groups. For a while I hadn't posted cards anymore here either and just my blog and for a while Flickr. I stopped posting to flickr and now try posting my cards here again, and I also visit the forums again, it's my favorite place to read about new products, ask questions etc.
Too much social media is keeping many away :-( I too had noticed many familiar names from way back are not posting anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I have to put my two cents in...I come and go depending on what year it is or how busy my life is (don't we all feel those pressures)? I've made such outstanding cyber friends I'd love to live across the street from in real life!

I've noticed as well the lack of participation. Perhaps it is just a natural cycling of any business. But what I know for myself, that SCS is a treasure. A group of like minded people who do so much good spreading encouragement, love, recognition, hope (as witnessed by jeannemlehrman),
prayer, art, talent, and resources.

I can't speak for Pinterest other to say I have an account and one board titled 'I so don't want a Pinterest board'. I only made this as my SCS cards were getting pinned. I also have a blog, but what I found was I couldn't keep up with all the places one could be present. It was so tiring to ME.

Why I come back to SCS after going off cycling or spending the year in my garden is the community that makes up SCS. There is always some one to welcome me back, someone who has missed me. I so appreciate all the effort from our administrative team as well as the time and talent given by the DD members. It is that putting in that keeps the wheels of SCS oiled.

And to the original poster scrapbookingfool, I am waiting to check out your gallery. To see what talent you bring to our community. We were all newbies once! Please PM me, if there is anything I can do to make you feel home again!

Sorry this is so long...that's me in real life too!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Well said, Susan. I have been here on SCS since 2004. I love rubberstamping and I try to make it by SCS every day to see what has been posted for the day. I don't usually have a lot of time for chatting in the chat rooms, but I do spend time browsing some of the beautiful galleries and I love the challenges as a means of motivation.

I have met many wonderful friends here, most of whom I have not gotten to meet in person, but who touched my life in ways that have added so much, not just to my love for this art form, but that has inspired me spiritually and emotionally.

I have been saddened when I hear of those who have passed away, and I miss those who have gone onto other areas with their art or who simply have different seasons in their lives that require more of their time, like children or aging parents.

Pinterest is a great place to fetch ideas, but it just does not have the personal connection that SCS has always had for me. I gladly pay my membership every year just to have this place to keep a collection of my cards, and to have the chance to view the galleries and talents of so many talented people who do still frequent this place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Sadly it seems that the Gallery is suffering and I know I am one to blame. I am still creating but things tend to get in the way of posting and joining the challenges. I do visit every day and try to comment when I can. My New Years resolution is to post more to my gallery as time permits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I, too, have noticed a slow down in the conversations and galleries. I am among those guilty of not contributing much to the galleries - uploading cards OR commenting. I'll go through a spell where I do better, then back to "crazy" in my personal life and I just don't have time for creating and commenting. I still come here every day to see what's going on, though, and agree that one reason is the sense of community over the more impersonal Pinterest and Instagram and all...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 808 Likes on 529 Posts

Next month marks 10 years for me on SCS :p

I don't FB, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, etc.... I also don't post pictures here on SCS - have never tried to figure out how to do it :eek:

A lot of the names I remember from when I first started coming here don't show up much anymore.

I loved Annette/Buggainok and miss seeing her posts.:( She and I used to PM quite a bit and I think of her often.

I remember when there used to be lots of recipe card swaps and nowadays, they are pretty scarce.

I miss Peggie Sue who used to do the banner swaps. I still use the Easter, Halloween and Christmas banners from her swaps.

I do try to chime in on some of the threads and love signing up for swaps. I'm too chicken to take the lead on being a swap hostess but am always happy to be a "follower" and sign up for the ones I enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

My two cents worth...
I think that many have gone to blogging.

More stamp companies...more design teams...more time commitments for the designer.

Bloggers want followers...so they believe they must post more, be more tech-savvy, have the prettiest pictures...more time commitments for the designer/blogger.

Many of the previous SCS regulars are avid bloggers.

Then again, many have gone on to other things in their lives.

SCS is still on the top of the pile for me, though!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 04:38 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I admit I don’t post as many cards as I used to as Instagram has become more of a showcase. But I love the forums and always receive such valuable advice and news, so I do check back every week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Instagram has the easiest platform for sharing card photos, commenting and so on, but I do usually post here, my blog and instagram. It is Christmas, so everyplace is slow with posts, till people get back in their routines!

Try joining in here at SCS in the challenges. That is the best way to meet people who are active here, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd like to second, Sue's, Liz's and Diane's posts as they've pretty much put my thoughts into words. I've been here, and active, since 2004. I have learned most of what I know about paper crafting/stamping right here. The tutorials are an amazing resource! The people here are by far the best on the web; kind, supportive and willing to share their art and their knowledge. I have "met" so many wonderful people over the years here . I join many of you in missing people who have moved on to other platforms or interests, but I also notice new people joining in on conversations and challenges.

I'd like to thank Angie for starting the Challenge Chat thread a few months ago. There has been a fun, active conversation going there. I encourage people to join in!

Splitcoast will always come first for me when it comes to stamping. Yes, I very occasionally go-to Pinterest when I'm looking for something specific. Yes, I have a very few blogs I regularly follow, but I come to Splitcoast nearly every day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I think social media platforms more glances and "likes" ...easier to scroll through than websites or blogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad the Challenge Chat thread is back, just like we had it set up 10 years ago! so fun...even if I don't hop on too often. But you know, if you lurk, you don't "meet" creative people..so I better stop lurking and start chatting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I'd just like to suggest that the more people don't contribute, the less reason there is for people to come by - a law of diminishing returns if you like. I've been much busier the last few years and have less time than I used to, but I'll try to take the time to post if I have anything useful to add to the discussion. And while we're talking about challenges, my hats (all of them) go off to the hostesses who used to faithfully comment each week when the challenges (as also the site) were so much busier than they are now - and back then they were mostly running the challenges single-handed instead of with a team for back-up as now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnmercedesView Post
...But you know, if you lurk, you don't "meet" creative people...
I need to work on this, too. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm rather quiet by nature, and I really don't like to just post "me, too!". I want any post I make to be truly helpful... which means I spend more time trying to think of something to contribute, and very little time actually doing it.

I tend to do that in the gallery, too. I hate just saying "I love it! It's so pretty!". I want to say something that shows why I like it... which again, means that I spend so much time thinking that I run out of time to actually post... which is stupid, because if I receive a bunch of posts on my gallery items that say "I love it! It's so pretty!", I'm going to be happy as a clam.

Now that I think about it, this probably applies to my card-making as well. I spend so much time thinking about the design, and trying to get each card just right that I end up making a lot less cards than I could be.

I think I've just discovered why I always feel like there's never enough time...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,296 Likes on 2,483 Posts

I too love this site and the platform that allows for talking and sharing and getting wonderful ideas! I echo those above who have said they are not on social media--no Facebook or Instagram for me--but I do blog on a regular basis. I try to "remember" to post my cards in my gallery here, but I know every one is not there. I have crafty goals-not resolutions-for 2019 and one is to post a card a week using some of the themes of the challenges here. That also means I want to participate in challenges here too!

I do remember when I first joined, there would be 2 or 3 or even 4 pages each day in this general stamping forum and a page of swaps. I still host swaps, so Lorraine--smhtwin can participate ;).

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashfulStamperView Post
I need to work on this, too. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm rather quiet by nature, and I really don't like to just post "me, too!". I want any post I make to be truly helpful... which means I spend more time trying to think of something to contribute, and very little time actually doing it.

I tend to do that in the gallery, too. I hate just saying "I love it! It's so pretty!". I want to say something that shows why I like it... which again, means that I spend so much time thinking that I run out of time to actually post... which is stupid, because if I receive a bunch of posts on my gallery items that say "I love it! It's so pretty!", I'm going to be happy as a clam.

Now that I think about it, this probably applies to my card-making as well. I spend so much time thinking about the design, and trying to get each card just right that I end up making a lot less cards than I could be.

I think I've just discovered why I always feel like there's never enough time...
Same here. Or I should say, "Me, too!"

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I joined SCS way back in 2004, and I sometimes miss the busyness of the site, and I sometimes think about the people I used to converse with, and wonder what happened to them. But I'm not here much either, I went to college and now work full time, and not only do I not have time for SCS, I don't even hardly have time to stamp anymore and I've been losing interest in it. I keep hoping I'll want to again some day, because I sure still have a lot of stuff!

I do think that other sites are to blame for the absences. I know I used to come here first, now I only come here maybe once a week, but I'm on Facebook and Pinterest nearly every day.

I do miss the old days, but my life has just changed too much and I just can't put the time into this hobby like I used to, even if I did feel like picking it up again. But I am going to try to make an effort to reach out more when I do get on here.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I don't do Facebook or any other sites. This and YouTube are places I hang out all day,every day! I haven't noticed much dwindling, but maybe that's because I hang out and chat where my SCS friends are. I do challenges when I can, but no longer swap because of postage prices and the fact that I don't like giving cards I didn't make (even though I got lots of beauties when I was swapping!) I have seen a person or two disappear but two or three pop up and tada! New friends! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
I joined SCS way back in 2004, and I sometimes miss the busyness of the site, and I sometimes think about the people I used to converse with, and wonder what happened to them. But I'm not here much either, I went to college and now work full time, and not only do I not have time for SCS, I don't even hardly have time to stamp anymore and I've been losing interest in it. I keep hoping I'll want to again some day, because I sure still have a lot of stuff!

I do think that other sites are to blame for the absences. I know I used to come here first, now I only come here maybe once a week, but I'm on Facebook and Pinterest nearly every day.

I do miss the old days, but my life has just changed too much and I just can't put the time into this hobby like I used to, even if I did feel like picking it up again. But I am going to try to make an effort to reach out more when I do get on here.

Hi Julie! I’m still around although I am on Instagram more often, and Pinterest. It’s nice to read your update. Life has very much changed as the years go by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checking in as I haven't posted here in a long time. No particular reason for not posting in a while other than not having anything useful to share. I do check in from time to time to see what's new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Hi scrapbookingfool, and welcome back!

As others have said, the site is slower, and other social media platforms have contributed. When I first joined SCS, I was not on Facebook and had no intentions of going there, but I caved. It is a great place for me top connect with non-stamping friends, as well as stamping friends (with their REAL names! LOL)

Instagram is a mystery to me. I comment and post their occasionally but haven't felt comfortable with it. Facebook is a big pit of cyber quicksand, because I find myself scrolling mindlessly far too often. My goal is to cut back on FB (which is often cranky, too) and return to my first love...SCS!

I have never left this site; I love the challenges, and I have learned SO much from the tutorials! But I truly believe spending MORE time here interacting, sharing, and encouraging one another is time well spent. My 2018 ended on a sad note with my Godfather's funeral, but my 2019 will begin with "therapy" in the form of stamps, ink, and pretty paper.

Hope to "see" everyone a lot more!
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes