Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Tim Holtz stamp platform

Is anyone else having this problem? After using the MISTI for a couple of years, I see the TH platform with its open sided design, and easy to change from clear to rubber stamping. So I bought on a really good sale.
Have you noticed the base plastic is really slick? Or the magnets are not strong enough! EVERY time I stamp and need to re-stamp, the paper has moved. It just slides out of place ever so slightly. I really have to remember to push it back into the corner every time! I don't have this problem with MISTI due to the foam in the base, and even when it's removed for rubber, it's not so slick.

Does anyone have a solution?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, mine does that. I just make really sure when I stamp the first time that the paper I'm stamping on is abutted up to the corner. It works most of the time. I ordered some additional magnets on Amazon that claimed to work with the platform, but they were a smidge too tall, so I'll have to grab some TH specific ones later.

I guess it kinda sorta defeats the purpose if it moves and you can't really re-stamp but I'm usually just stamping single images to color that I want to get a really dark outline on, so it's a million times better than trying to eyeball it, and I never had a MISTI so my learning curve is going to be entirely on the TH platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2018, 02:39 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Occasionally I've had that happen, like Emily, I just do a quick double check each time. I've seen some people use a bit of temporary snail adhesive rather than magnets. I've also ordered some bar rare earth magnets off Amazon, hopefully they'll be ok. I also got some extras of the round ones a while back, and the extra couple do help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2018, 03:22 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It happens whether I use a Misti or a Tim platform, and some stamps are stickier than others, or have a large surface. I don’t think the base matters, since it’s not that the CS slides - it’s lifted.

If you search on magnets on SCS, there are threads with links to long, rectangular neodymium magnets - just note the thickness since some are a bit too high. (I’d search but have to leave.) I have one and sometimes use it, or use it with a round one.

But sometimes I don’t use magnets, since cards are butted up to the corner, which Tim shows in videos. IOW, it’s faster for me to butt the CS back in the corner than to carefully place magnets and still double check there’s not the tiniest bit of shifting.

If stamping off CS, plastic corners or cardboard/chipboard is used to butt against. I think Shaz actually provided the cardboard/chipboard idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
It happens whether I use a Misti or a Tim platform, and some stamps are stickier than others, or have a large surface. I don’t think the base matters, since it’s not that the CS slides - it’s lifted.

If you search on magnets on SCS, there are threads with links to long, rectangular neodymium magnets - just note the thickness since some are a bit too high. (I’d search but have to leave.) I have one and sometimes use it, or use it with a round one.

But sometimes I don’t use magnets, since cards are butted up to the corner, which Tim shows in videos. IOW, it’s faster for me to butt the CS back in the corner than to carefully place magnets and still double check there’s not the tiniest bit of shifting.

If stamping off CS, plastic corners or cardboard/chipboard is used to butt against. I think Shaz actually provided the cardboard/chipboard idea.

Agree with this. It happens with my Misti and my TH. I’m actually using fewer magnets these days because I always have to either make sure it’s bumped or actually bump it in the corner again anyway. Too many magnets to pull up slows me down even more. As said, it’s about lifting. Newer stamps and stickier inks might make it more extreme. Just happy that I have a second chance with an image instead of having to toss it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Occassionally I will have that issue with the paper slipping when lifting the cover. I could be my stamp is well covered with ink, or on the type of paper I stamping on since some inks grab on to the paper (glossy/ acetate, etc).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2018, 04:36 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Definitely agree that the type of stamp & ink is usually the problem. Clear stamps definitely hold on to the cardstock in a way that rubber don't. Also, the stickier the ink the more it happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2018, 05:23 AM   #8  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

I've had better stamping results with the photopolymer stamps by placing a piece of craft foam under the cardstock against the base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I found the perfect solution to my problems stamping with the TH platform. I thought it needed padding of some sort. I tried fun foam, but I thought even the thinnest was too thick. My cousin had given me a kit to make my own stamps with the Silhouette; the material to use for the stamps is what I put in my platform and it works great! It's very thin and has a tiny bit of give, which is really all you need for photopolymer stamps.

I'm thinking a silicone cutting mat might work for you... or clear plastic that is used as a tablecloth cover... maybe a cheap placemat...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

I use the bar magnets which SU sells as spares for the Stamparatus. They are slightly thicker than the TH round magnets so I don't put them right next to where I want to stamp but they are great for holding the paper more firmly against the base. Being rectangular they clamp the paper so it can't lift and pivot like it does sometimes with the TH magnets.

One handy tip which you may have seen already, wrap a loop of washi tape around each magnet to use like a handle. It makes it so much easier to pick the magnets up and move them around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Grid Sheets

I use the Sizzix Sticky Grid Sheets in my 3 stamping tools. They are awesome and last a really long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m going with the sizzix sticky grid sheets for my TH. I have a Cricut type mat that I cut into sizes that fit my Misti and my TH but I find that although it holds the card the mat still slips around underneath with either positioner so I have to make sure the mat is back in the corner. If the mousepad on the Misti is a perfect fit and can’t slip (I don’t have one) I suppose the sticky sheets would work there too. My foam pad in my Misti is not exact and shifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I just bought the TH travel stamp positioner a couple of weeks ago, and so far the magnets that came with it hold the cardstock in place. However, I did buy the WRMK platform a few years ago, which had NO magnets on it. I followed you tubers and bought tiny magnets and taped them on the bottom, but my cardstock still moved. I recently bought Stampin' Up magnets for their Stamparatus ($12. for two extremely strong long magnets) for the WRMK board, but if needed, I'm sure they will hold the cardstock in place with the TH platform. So far, the magnets that came with the travel platform work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I upgraded my WRMK platform by adhering sticky-backed magnet sheet to it, and then I use a Stampin Up bar magnet to hold the paper in place. That works fine with the slight raising of the stamping surface because of the self-adjusting hinge which holds the lid in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by planbcraftskcView Post
I use the Sizzix Sticky Grid Sheets in my 3 stamping tools. They are awesome and last a really long time.
planbcraftskc: In what manner do you use these? I have some, but can't imagine how to use in stamp platform. TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2019, 05:52 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
planbcraftskc: In what manner do you use these? I have some, but can't imagine how to use in stamp platform. TIA
I'm not planbcraftskc but I can answer this: just stick the grid onto the platform base. It then acts like a cricut/scanNcut mat - no magnets needed to hold your paper.

Last year I used a trimmed down cricut mat attached with a repositionable adhesive sheet and its worked really well. The only problem with that now is the adhesive sheet has become almost permanent and I need to change the mat! These sticky grids will be what I use from now on once I get the cricut mat off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I use them too - and just the small ones.

OT - I also use the small sticky grids for holding CS to my mat that I’m stenciling on. Then some yellow (least sticky) Frog Tape on the top of the stencil as a hinge and everything is secure but you can lift up the stencil to see what’s under it. You can use the grid many times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OT on problems with the Stamp Platform, but does anyone know why the Stamp Platform is being sold in the US again? I know in 2018 MSP and Tonic settled their lawsuit, and the Stamp Platform wasn't supposed to be sold in the US anymore, but in the last couple of months, I'm seeing it everywhere from Amazon to Scrapbook.com. I have a stamp platform and love it, but I'm curious as to what happened here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

I vaguely remember reading that stores could continue selling stock, but no more would be manufactured.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 02:34 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Looking at the Amazon.com listing, it's listed as an International item, so shipping from outside the US. I'm guessing thats how the ruling is being got around-with others stores, I'd guess they have stock to clear, but that does surprise me, as I thought there'd be a rush on them when the original ruling was put out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 02:51 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

When looking at tools sections on online shops (because I’m a tool junkie), I've often noticed them - stocked but no longer marketed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
I upgraded my WRMK platform by adhering sticky-backed magnet sheet to it, and then I use a Stampin Up bar magnet to hold the paper in place. That works fine with the slight raising of the stamping surface because of the self-adjusting hinge which holds the lid in place.
So, the Stampin Up magnets work fine on the TH stamp platform?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 02:27 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy08View Post
The SU magnets work fine on both the TH platform and the WRMK one. I bought a set of two SU magnets and use one on each platform.

A handy hint I read somewhere and use for the SU magnets is to wrap a loop of washi tape round the magnet to make a handle. The magnets are strong and having the 'handle' makes it much easier to pick up the magnet and move it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 03:30 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy08View Post
If you don’t already have the SU magnets, theirs are just rare earth/neodymium magnets, sold by many suppliers, often less expensively. You just don’t want thicker than 1/8”.

These are 3”, free shipping if a Prime member:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or four 2” long for $4.92 and less than $2.93 shipping to my zip code.
Bar Magnet | Neodymium Magnet | CMS Magnetics (Four is the minimum purchase)

Some hardware stores sell them too, though many aren't aren’t going to stores these days unless we have to.

I think Jennifer McGuire popularized the washi tape wrap around the center with a tail. It’s very handy. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 04:45 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

A lot of Home Depot and Lowes stores stock neodymium magnets in multiple sizes, and they are considerably cheaper and there's no shipping. I got mine at Home Depot many moons ago.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 04:52 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
A lot of Home Depot and Lowes stores stock neodymium magnets in multiple sizes, and they are considerably cheaper and there's no shipping. I got mine at Home Depot many moons ago.
I meant to add that I thought you had posted an inexpensive place where you got them. Need more caffeine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 11:29 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I think Jennifer McGuire popularized the washi tape wrap around the center with a tail. It’s very handy. 
Wasn't it Kristina who came up with the trick first? Not trying to start debate more my curiosity. I know those two girls are close so Jennifer probably put one tape on one magnet and Kristina put tape on the other magnet, lol.

I learned the trick from Hedgehog Hollow. She now uses Sticky Grid from Sizzix. I know you all shared a video awhile back for Distress Oxides. The lady was using a Cricut mat in her Misti. I am sorry I forgot her name and company. I am truly sorry.

I know we are talking about magnets, lol. I wanted to throw out the mat options for those who are having trouble with magnets or finding magnets.

I know getting things shipped now, even from Prime, is insane right now. Amazon is prioritizing shipments to cover essential supplies first. I ordered a lot of vitamins the other day and a Cricut Joy Card Mat. My vitamins were there for me in two days. Cricut Joy mat was in stock but waiting till May 20th. I am not complaining at all. I knew that was froufrou item I put in my order so I was prepared to wait. Magnets might be a wait time to.

I have had luck on Ebay for ordering froufrou items. I call them froufrou because I am a wife of an essential worker so I make my lists essential and then froufrou. I am in charge of stocking up his company.

Try Ebay to for your magnets because a lot of the smaller companies are thrilled to get business. I have gotten great shipping times like in a day or two.

Last edited by lylacfey; 05-06-2020 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2020, 11:49 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I found more neodymium magnets for you all. Hobby Lobby has them- https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...nets/p/HC50150

HL is reopening in certain states. Pretty please nobody make a snarky comment about HL. I will cry. I truly will. I have made a comment about HL and got yelled at on a couple of my other forums. I don't care about the politics. I desperately need fabric for masks for my DH & his crew.

It is ok you all yell at me. I am sensitive right now about fabric, safety and this HL thing, lol. I am stressed about trying to find fabric.

My DH & I had a lot of fabric but it got lost when we moved.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I found more neodymium magnets for you all. Hobby Lobby has them- Neodymium Magnets | Hobby Lobby
HL is reopening in certain states. Pretty please nobody make a snarky comment about HL. I will cry. I truly will. I have made a comment about HL and got yelled at on a couple of my other forums. I don't care about the politics. I desperately need fabric for masks for my DH & his crew.

It is ok you all yell at me. I am sensitive right now about fabric, safety and this HL thing, lol. I am stressed about trying to find fabric.

My DH & I had a lot of fabric but it got lost when we moved.
Totally off-topic for this thread (sorry, OP) This article might be helpful, DeeAnn: Using blue shop towels in homemade face masks can filter particles 2x to 3x better than cotton, 3 clothing designers discover after testing dozens of fabrics

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2020, 01:21 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Sue, thank you so much. DH & I both have blue shop towels. This is such a help. Thank you. I am truly grateful.

Clarification from my earlier post. I have fabric. I have doll fabric- silks, tulles, satins & all those fashion fabrics you can not make masks out of. My DH is a quilter and he had guy fabric- Star Wars, Mass Efffect, Star Trek, etc... It is gone. We tore the whole garage up looking for it. My DH is devastated. That was his quilting fabric. He was collecting it to make a quilt. He also had all the quilting solids in masculine colors.

I do have some quilting fabric but it's Wonder Woman and flamingos. I really can't make a bunch of construction guys masks of flamingos.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2020, 06:30 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Here’s a vid for using an old Cricket mat in your MISTI from Betsy Veldman at The Greetery. Not sure if that’s who DeeAnn (lylacfey) was thinking of above: .

I also recently saw a neat tip from Jennifer McGuire about using low-tack tape in the negative of a die cut to hold the cut piece in place while stamping. Worked pretty well for me when I had a bunch to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2020, 02:56 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

hultenlk- THAT IS THE VIDEO! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Sue, thank you so much. DH & I both have blue shop towels. This is such a help. Thank you. I am truly grateful.

Clarification from my earlier post. I have fabric. I have doll fabric- silks, tulles, satins & all those fashion fabrics you can not make masks out of. My DH is a quilter and he had guy fabric- Star Wars, Mass Efffect, Star Trek, etc... It is gone. We tore the whole garage up looking for it. My DH is devastated. That was his quilting fabric. He was collecting it to make a quilt. He also had all the quilting solids in masculine colors.

I do have some quilting fabric but it's Wonder Woman and flamingos. I really can't make a bunch of construction guys masks of flamingos.
Forgot to mention that DH came across an article that said denim was better than other fabrics for masks. I'm sure he has no idea where he found that info, but thought I'd pass it along...

Back to the original topic: I do not have a Cricut or any other electronic machines, so excuse me if I'm asking a dumb question. How sticky are these mats and how long can you use one before it needs to be replaced? Can you wash them to restore the "stick"? Thanks in advance for any/all info on this!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

There have a been a lot of small studies about best fabrics for homemade masks lately, with a good amount of overlap in their findings. Like Sue said, some have mentioned denim, or two layers of tightly woven cotton (like quilters cotton or bed sheets) with a pocket for a layer of paper towel or interface. (Coffee filters for the pocket aren’t recommended as much since they can be hard to breath through.)

Two layers of silk (!) with a layer of cotton has also been mentioned. But not polyester or spandex - (the virus lives longer on those) or most scarves. And fabric that is too heavy can make breathing difficult.

There are so many articles about it now that refer to the small studies, some even showing photos of the set ups, and they’re easy to find by googling “best fabrics face masks” or “worst fabrics face masks” or similar.

Covering the nose completely, not just the tip is key, not fiddling with the mask once it’s on and only touching it by the ear pieces or ties is advised repeatedly.

Last edited by bjeans; 05-11-2020 at 02:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I do not have a Cricut or any other electronic machines, so excuse me if I'm asking a dumb question. How sticky are these mats and how long can you use one before it needs to be replaced? Can you wash them to restore the "stick"? Thanks in advance for any/all info on this!
I have the Scan n Cut. There's been a lot of discussion about mats losing their stick because in use they collect oils from our fingers and fibres and lint from cardstock. The two tips I've found useful are:
1. After use, wipe with a scent free baby wipe, leave to air dry then replace the protective sheet on the sticky surface.
2. When the sticky deteriorates too far, use a glue remover to clean the surface of the sheet, then apply Zig pen or dilute Tombow glue and leave to air dry. It'll dry tacky, then replace the protective sheet ready for next time you want to use it.

There's lots about this on the Scan n Cut thread (ironically, it's a 'sticky' ) and I imagine it's also discussed on threads for other machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2020, 12:14 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Sue- Thank you. I thought about denim. DH & team are about ready to hit that 90 degree weather with 90 degree humidity. I am like "Oh NO!" ROFL! If we don't have a vaccine by Autumn I am definitely leaning towards denim. Ladies- I bet a bunch of us never thought we be making masks or thinking about how to make masks for the seasons. I have been stockpiling Winter fabrics just in case. I am just in case girl. I rather have it and donate later than not have it at all, is my motto.

Die Cutting Mats- Now, this topic I am an expert, ROFL. I own all the machines mats. I have all the machines, lol.

I power use my Cricut mats and they last me for seven years. Yes, you read that right. There are generic mats at Amazon. Even Hobby Lobby has started selling their brand of generic mats. They are comparable to Cricut.

This is for name brand and not generic. Most of us girls who have been die cutting a long time prefer the Cricut mats because they are just better made. They are so well made when you first use the mat your cat sets on it and gets stuck. Ask me how I know this?

Yes, they are sticky for a long time. When the mats lose stickiness a lot of us use Aleene's TIOO to restick the mats. I do this with my ScannCut mats. Those are notoriously not sticky.

The girls also use quilt basting spray. Zigway Glue pen to restick. Scotch Repositionable Glue stick. Lots and lots of ways to restick and a lot of great YouTube videos about resticking mats.

After every cutting session I use a baby wipe to wipe down my mat. That makes it sticky again. If it's a heavy cutting session I wash my mat with warm soapy water to make it sticky again.

ScannCut mats don't buy them. One they are very expensive. Two they are proprietary. If you don't have a SnC they are really of no use.

Silhouette mats are also a bit expensive, and IMO a bit specific for the Silhouette machine. I don't think it's a good first time purchase. I would stick with Cricut or the Generic Cricut mats. I know some of my die cutting gang love Nicapa. I think it's Nicapa. I am going to get flack about that, lol.

The Cricut Joy girls are going to kill me for this. If you need a small mat for a stamping platform that is on the smallish side you can get the new Cricut Joy mats for around $6. The girls are going to kill me because the Joy just came out so we are all buying mats.

Throw any more questions about the mats and I can answer them. The mats are easy to cut down. I cut my mats down all the time and use them for other art applications. I have a lot of Cricut mats in my stash since I power use my die cutting machines.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes