Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing ink from clothing

Hi everyone, is there a trick to removing dye ink from clothes?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #2  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hair spray (the cheaper ones were more effective) works for ballpoint ink so It's something to consider.

It causes the ink to run so try to do it under running water so the run-off doesn't get on another part of the clothing.

HTH and ...

Good luck

Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It's going to depend very much what the fabric is. Most dye removers are chemical based, so lots of fabrics won't do to well with it. On a Google search, a whole host of pages came up, link HERE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have used a trick my hair stylist shared with me. She said to use hand wipes, like Wet Ones, immediately on the spot from dye and to keep working it until it is gone.
True Story: I was returning a red Distress Ink pad to Craft Warehouse because it was defective. I opened the pad to show the clerk what the problem with the pad was and the lid flew out of my hand. Instinctively I pushed my body against the countertop to catch the lid before it hit the floor (IDIOT ALERT!). Yes indeedy, I had a perfect print of red distress ink on my pretty Cool Caribbean colored top! :rolleyes:
I had Wet Ones in my purse and immediately started to work on the ink. Lordy, did I have a mess! I went out to car and used more Wet Ones until all traces of red dye ink were gone. I washed the top when I got home and there was no sign of ink after that.
Lessons learned: wear play clothes when handling ink of any kind and lay in a good supply of Wet Ones for when you forget lesson #1 about the play clothes! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
hoptownracer1 (08-28-2022)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many years ago I joined a Stamping group. I always wore my “stamping clothes” to the meetings. Old tops and jeans. After a few years a few of us decided to go to Dinner.
I wore a nice outfit ( something I would Nevet stamp in). One of the women ( who dresses really nicely at the meetings ( J jill, Chico’s, Coldwater creek. Etc)
Blurted our “ I can’t believe how nice you look, I always thought you were poor”
She then told me I needed get rid of the sweater I always wore because I have a nice figure and it didn’t do me justice! It was a real eye opener!! But I’m too big a slob when I stamp to ever wear anything I can’t go home and throw away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2018, 04:47 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I have used a trick my hair stylist shared with me. She said to use hand wipes, like Wet Ones, immediately on the spot from dye and to keep working it until it is gone.
:-D
Wet Ones or will any brand do? I ask because I've seen this suggestion for cleaning stamps, but have discovered most house brand wipes aren't very effective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm clumsy so I carry Amodex Ink and Stain Remover in my craft bag. Have bought it from Amazon and Blitsy. It allows me to go apronless with "confidence".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mullanphy LaneView Post
Wet Ones or will any brand do? I ask because I've seen this suggestion for cleaning stamps, but have discovered most house brand wipes aren't very effective.

Wet Ones, sensitive skin are the ones I use for my stamps because they are alcohol free, don’t leave lint on the stamps and cleans them very well and also, they don’t stink! These are also the kind I have in my car & purse and are the kind I used on my red-ink debacle.

I don’t know if other brands will work because once I discovered these worked well for my stamp cleaning, I stuck with them. Easier to buy one kind for everything and know that they will be stamp-room ready!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #9  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Another general tip for stain removal is to NOT rub the stain into the fabric but to treat it from the other side to push it out of the fabric.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
Another general tip for stain removal is to NOT rub the stain into the fabric but to treat it from the other side to push it out of the fabric.

I’ve been told by the cleaners it’s best to put a clean white absorbent cotton towel on the back side of the fabric that the stain is on and to gently daub, not wipe. The reason for the cloth on the backside is to catch any residue that pushes through the fabric while daubing.
(To daub, press down on the stain with cloth firmly wrapped around a finger and be sure to move to a clean section of the cloth on your finger EVERY time you daub. This way you avoid reinstating the icky substance back onto the fabric you are lifting the stain out of.)
It is a laborious process, but if done soon after the stain occurs it works amazingly well.
Can you tell I’ve done this a few times? :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2018, 05:23 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Just try to catch anything that has ink on it BEFORE you wash it. Unfortunately I had a Memento Dew Drop impression of black on my light blue table cloth when the pad overturned. I didn't see it when I washed and dried the tablecloth and have tried everything to get the stain out but once it's washed and dried that heat set the stain. Learned my lesson never to stamp on tablecloths! What a waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2018, 05:59 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by akonicekView Post
Just try to catch anything that has ink on it BEFORE you wash it. Unfortunately I had a Memento Dew Drop impression of black on my light blue table cloth when the pad overturned. I didn't see it when I washed and dried the tablecloth and have tried everything to get the stain out but once it's washed and dried that heat set the stain. Learned my lesson never to stamp on tablecloths! What a waste.

I have found it's more the drying, than the washing, that seems to set the stain. I wash everything in cold water, so maybe it's the heat, and hot water would also set the stain as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2018, 06:04 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
True Story: I was returning a red Distress Ink pad to Craft Warehouse because it was defective. I opened the pad to show the clerk what the problem with the pad was and the lid flew out of my hand. Instinctively I pushed my body against the countertop to catch the lid before it hit the floor (IDIOT ALERT!). Yes indeedy, I had a perfect print of red distress ink on my pretty Cool Caribbean colored top! :rolleyes:
I had Wet Ones in my purse and immediately started to work on the ink. Lordy, did I have a mess! I went out to car and used more Wet Ones until all traces of red dye ink were gone. I washed the top when I got home and there was no sign of ink after that.
Lessons learned: wear play clothes when handling ink of any kind and lay in a good supply of Wet Ones for when you forget lesson #1 about the play clothes! :-D
This is really good to know, especially since it seems red is the hardest color to get out. I don't have designated sponges for each color or color family---I just wash them out after each use. They all have red stains on them---no other color, just red!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I was visiting my family in Michigan and went to bingo with my sister, had a new peach colored top on. My sis went to the bathroom and asked me to watch her cards. leaned over to dab her numbers, dropped the dauber and had a nice outline of purple on my peach shirt! I tried cold water in the ladies room, some came out but to this day Istill have a crescent of purple o my boob!
Shout didn't get it all out but it is a fun memory now!
Reply With Quote Likes