Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elmer's white glue vs. Tombow glue?

Hi all,

I recently tried out a friend's Tombow mono multi glue, and it looks and feels so similar to plain old Elmer's glue. Elmer's is much less expensive, I think they are both "PVA" glues, and they seem to do the same thing. What's the difference between the two?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 04:18 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

The mono multi is repositionable if you let it dry on one surface, I use that feature a lot for masking. I'm not aware that regular PVA will do the same, I think it just dries hard with no residual tackiness. It's also harder to (impossible to) rub off if you get it anywhere you don't want it. But I think the regular PVA is great for larger areas, I buy both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 04:40 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

And not all PVA glues are the same. Their formulas vary and if I'm remembering correctly (?), they fall into several different categories. Acidity varies - bookbinders use a PH neutral PVA - or at least I was told to bring one to a mini-book class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 04:44 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

I love the versatility of the Tombow glue - I used Aleene's Tacky Glue for a long time, which has an amazing bond, but would tend to dry in a slight curve. With the Tombow, there's just enough wiggle room when using it wet, and I haven't had any trouble with warping at all. I learned by reading the MSDS on both products that Tombow glue contains latex, so if that is a concern for anyone because of allergies, it should be avoided.

As far as the glue itself, I find the Tombow glue much stickier than Elmer's, and I hate getting it on my fingers for that reason.

Here are the MSDS sheets for each product for comparison:

Elmer's School Glue: http://www.elmers.com/docs/default-source/sds's-%28safety-data-sheets%29/se301.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue: https://s3.amazonaws.com/doi-product...M52190_SDS.PDF

Tombow is listed as an "Acrylic ester co-polymer natural rubber emulsion" - that doesn't seem to be the same as PVA (poly-vinyl acetate).
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 09-26-2017 at 04:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting info. I'll try it. I have been using Roxannes white basting glue for years as well as Ranger multi. I buy Roxannes on Amazon but it is available in quilt shops. No idea about its formula. A scrapbook store put me onto it. It works well in a needle nosed bottle and is water soluble in case I forget to put a pin in my dispenser. Is the Tombow water soluble? I'm guessing dispersable means will dissolve in water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you, I see I was mistaken in thinking Tombow was a PVA glue. It is definitely different from Elmer's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I stopped using Tombow Multi liquid glue for 2 reasons. 1-I didn't like how it turned yellow after it dried on white card stock. When I used it, it would seep out from under the layer I was gluing and it was impossible to remove! 2-I didn't like the way it would dry on my fingers and again, it was very difficult to remove! I use Aleen's Fast Tack for larger, thicker areas and Ranger's Matt Medium. I love Ranger's MM but I find it difficult to get out of my fine tip dispenser. I keep wondering if I can dilute it. When I have a problem getting it out of the dispenser, I will just give up and use the Aleen's, very carefully. Don't want big gobs of it and don't want it to seep out like the Tombow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe thinking twice on the Tombow then. The yellowing wouldn't work for me. I'm not really unhappy with what I'm using. I have trouble getting the Ranger MM squeezed out of the bottle also. I like how it holds and dries so I bought a small jar of it and use a little false eyelash applicator to apply it onto sequins and small areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Dini's right (as usual!). Tombow responded to my email and replied it is not PVA. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Another Tombow fan chiming in here, although I use my ATG gun for most things, especially layers, and larger die cuts and paper pieces.

For smaller pieces of cardstock, smaller die cuts, sentiment tags, etc. I use tiny dots of Tombow around the edges. I have learned not to use too much, and don't usually have problems with it oozing out around the edges.

I usually buy 10 bottles when I can find it on sale, and since the bottles are sealed, it seems to keep well until I open it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I've been using the Tombow "green glue" for several years now, and I don't have any trouble with it seeping under my layers. I use it sparingly, I guess! And IF I do have it leak out a bit, I just wipe it off with my finger. I've never seen any yellowing, but that's just me. I love the stuff! I'm an SU demo and some of my customers still prefer a tape runner adhesive, but I prefer the Tombow glue for most things.
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Tombow Multi but like others, use it in tiny amounts and not at the very edge of the card stock. I've never had it seep out or yellow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2017, 05:03 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I use Ranger Multi Medium Matte for embellishments, attaching small die cuts, etc. (The discontinued pink Tombow stamp runner is used for attaching CS layers.)

I like the Multi Medium Matte b/c it's momentarily repositionable, practically invisible if a dot rudely lands where it shouldn't, and is easy clean up on fingers, etc. with a wipe.

I use and love Scor-Tape when needing a strong stick for boxes or envelopes, but occasionally grab the Tombow for certain other things - can't think of exactly what - but it's nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I also use Tombow and am surprised that no one here mentioned using an adhesive remover for removing glue!I use it when needed and also works on two way tape. Regards Ranger multi Matt medium, I recently purchased small bottle and have had heck of a time trying to squeeze product out. That is some strong container.lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Squeezing the little bottles of Multi Medium Matte can be tough, I agree. One trick is to open the bottle for a second to let some air in before using. Or squeeze some on your craft mat and apply with an eyelash micro brush like Mary mentioned, another small tool, even a toothpick, or a small silicone glue brush if on a larger area. And you can buy it in jars.

I replaced the bottle tips with the two types Jennifer McGuire recommended, and while they allow for wonderfully precise placement, not having sufficient air in the bottle can make it difficult to squeeze out the medium.

Here are the brushes I've used, although calling them a brush is overly generous. It's just a tiny bit of something at the end. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the tip on the Multi Matt. I have not as yet been able to locate small tip and only the larger one. Will keep eyes open.i forgot about the jars, something else to buy lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

For gluing card layers together I prefer double-sided tape for my adhesive. I have some of the Tombow Green around as that is what SU replaced their Liquid Glue with. I don't like it even for what I use liquid glue for. I carve my own rubber stamps and to glue them to a wood block. For that, I like the Tombow Blue glue---much more like the old Liquid Glue. It doesn't dry so stiffly, but with a bit of give. I hate the oozing out under the layers and the ultra sticky fingers that won't come clean. None of that with double-sided tape. Different strokes, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
For gluing card layers together I prefer double-sided tape for my adhesive. I have some of the Tombow Green around as that is what SU replaced their Liquid Glue with. I don't like it even for what I use liquid glue for. I carve my own rubber stamps and to glue them to a wood block. For that, I like the Tombow Blue glue---much more like the old Liquid Glue. It doesn't dry so stiffly, but with a bit of give. I hate the oozing out under the layers and the ultra sticky fingers that won't come clean. None of that with double-sided tape. Different strokes, I guess.
I use tape to attach layers when I can, but find the liquid glue a lot cheaper. I have used white school glue a lot, but find when the layer/s are thin, it shows a bump and buckles. with the thicker card stock this doesn't happen.tombo green package, love it and have never seen it turn yellow, but I don't put it close enough to the edge to ooze out. Don't like it when it gets on my fingers either... so I avoid it sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps4funGinView Post
I use tape to attach layers when I can, but find the liquid glue a lot cheaper. I have used white school glue a lot, but find when the layer/s are thin, it shows a bump and buckles. with the thicker card stock this doesn't happen.tombo green package, love it and have never seen it turn yellow, but I don't put it close enough to the edge to ooze out. Don't like it when it gets on my fingers either... so I avoid it sometimes.
I always buy my tape at Joann's with a 40% or 50% coupon and always keep a supply on hand. It still may be more expensive than glue, but worth it if it gives a more professional look and saves me frustration and mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

I'm a Tombow fan, and have learned a few tips over the years to be very happy with the application I get. First, I find the hole in the bottle lets a little too large a layer of glue on the cardstock. If you're too close to the edge of the cardstock, outside it goes. I found it takes a little practice to learn how much pressure to squeeze the bottle to get a thinner line. I take that a littler further, and have the tip of the bottle slightly touching the cardstock, actually holding the opening hole lightly on the cs, which dispenses less glue, (and saves $$$). I've never noticed it yellowing. As I live almost an hour from craft stores, and find I have no extra bottle in stock, I use a white glue from Dollar Tree, and have found it to glue down as well as TomBow. No complaints with it. The only drawback on this is there is not hole in the tip. HOWEVER! don't follow the directions on this or even on the Elmers and 'CUT" the tip. This is why too much glue comes out, and leaks outside the cs edge. Instead I use a long needle, like a corsage needle, which has the pearl on top to give leverage on pushing it in the tip. A much smaller hole is what gives you the control of glue application! (I'm sorry if this is not 'a quick reply', but this has certainly given me total control of my glue application) I hope this is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

to O. P. I think Elmer's has water in it and will warp your cardstock. Several 'paper glues' do that, too. I tried Tombow Mono, but I was not impressed; it seemed 'wet' to me, and impossible to remove when it gets out of place, even with a glue eraser.
The best glue I have found is Beacon's Zip Dry. It is clear, and allows slip, but dries fast. It can be rolled up with your finger if it gets out of place. One drawback: it dries shiny. I buy with a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby.
I put Ranger Matte in a needle-tip bottle and just can't squeeze it hard enough. I recently read on SCS that it can be diluted with water. I need to try that on a small amount of the glue. I bought a jar and apply that with a smallish square paintbrush, washing it out very soon after the card is finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I have several friends that love the Beacon's Zip Dry, but I found it way too messy and shiny. Guess I'm just not a glue person except for non-paper things. I use tape for assembling cards almost 100% Warning: don't buy cheap tape! I always buy it with a coupon and get at least 40% off. Scotch is my go to brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

I use Tombow Mono almost exclusively on all of my paper creations. Love it!

What I have learned:

A little goes a LONG way. Dotting the glue works best. I put a dot in each corner, and one or two dots on the edges between each corner. It sticks very well, doesn't buckle, and doesn't seep

The only time I have seepage issues is when i accidentally apply too much too close to the edge

I like the few seconds of wiggle room

I LOVE the permanence once you put something together. If you really don't want something to fall apart then this is the glue for you.

Baby wipes work great to help remove any stickiness that gets on your fingers.

It's NOT meant to hold glitter or stuff like that. Use a glue that doesn't stay tacky when dry.

I like the scent of it (no, I don't spend my days sniffing glue :p )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #24  

Default Tombow Mono glue turning YELLOW

I was a big fan of Tombow Mono glue until recently. I've used it for years to adhere my card layers together and once in a while I would use it for embellishments and such. The other night I used it to adhere flower soft to the top of a stocking that I had created and then went to bed. In the morning instead of seeing this pretty white stocking it was an awful dull yellow. I immediately though something was wrong with the combo of the two and tried another layer and let dry. Even more yellow. I pulled out an old bottle of flowersoft glue and tried it. The piece was pure white. Here is my comparison of the two.

I opened up all of my new unused bottles and did a test. Number 7 was the one that I was using at the time and didn't seem yellow at all.

4 days later I took another photo and could see they were all some shade of yellow

I wrote to Tombow and here is the first reply

Good Afternoon Irene,

I as sorry for the delay, however, I was able to get some information for you. This glue changes colors (turns to yellow) by aging. Once it passes 3 years the level of color change tends to be visible and significant. It is because one of material of adhesive in the glue is getting old. The speed of changing colors depends on the temperature. The hotter the temperature is, the sooner the timing of the color being changed. Even if the colors of glue turned to yellow, the strength of glue will not change. The picture of the testing which you did, the white glue turning to yellow after a couple of hours, if the glue was new, it would have turned transparent once it’s dried. But in this case, once it’s dried, part of materials turned to yellow got visible. Depending on where you bought the product, it could have been in a warehouse for sometime before you purchased it, which could also affect the age of the glue.
I thank you for your patience in getting back to you and the pictures you provided where helpful in finding an answer for you.

Have a great day!

My reply: So if I am understanding this, there are no guarantees how long the glue has sat before I buy it. The last two I believe have been less than a year and the first 4 probably at least two years since I bought it, and Tombow doesn't plan on replacing any of the new bottles of glue that I've purchased up until now. Plus now all the bottles I've opened to do a test before I ruin another project. Are there manufacturing dates on the bottles? Without dates everyone is taking a chance on getting older glue and their project could be turning yellow. I also saw no warning on the bottles. I was hoping that Tombow would at least replace the six new bottles that I had. I'm still in shock that most were already so yellow. It is sad because I've used Tombow mono glue for years and have also recommended it as well. Many of us who make cards and use it for paper, sequins, and embellishments will be disappointed. I now have to buy most of my glue online and feel it would be hard to take a chance on how old the glue will be.

Their final reply from a different rep:

Irene,

Unfortunately, we cannot accept returns for items outside of our 30 day return policy, especially for items that were not purchased directly from us. The reason for this is that there's no way to know how customers store product or if the items were purchased from an authorized Tombow distributor.

There are many factors that could have caused the glue to taint overtime. Humidity and temperature can effect the glue's chemical make-up and cause the glue to age much faster. For this reason, we recommend storing the glue in a cool, dry place.

We are always happy to stand behind our products but we need to be notified of an issue as soon as possible.

I did let them know within days of noticing the issue. I just want everyone who is using the Mono glue to be pre-warned when using it on top of your cards. I was able to peel the top of the Christmas stocking off and replace it with the one where I used the glue from flowersoft. I do feel I try to save some money and may buy extra glue at times, but this was NO bargain. The flowersoft glue I've had for many years and it was half dried up but it still looks good. If I can give any advice, just do a test and then wait a few days.

BTW, I'm looking for a good mono glue replacement. I do use multi matte medium and glossy accents at times already. A friend (Jana) told me about Us Art Quest PPA Perfect Paper Adhesion Matte. I used it a few times and it dries clear but it very thin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I use Art Glitter Glue because I like the pin point top that comes with it. However, I stopped using the Green Mono glue because it just didn't hold. I'm actually glad, because I used it to attach rick rack to vellum and decided a couple days later that the rick rack was too big for the design. I was able to pull it right off. No thought that it wasn't dry yet---I live in AZ! I really like Liquid Stitch (can get it at JoAnn for sure, with a coupon) and only wish it had a smaller applicator. Dries clear, doesn't leave your fingers as sticky as the Mono and although there is wriggle room time, it dries pretty fast, hold well and is somewhat flexible rather than stiff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #26  

I'm going to try the PPA glue in a smaller bottle and finer tip. I used it for a bow the other day and the bow stuck pretty good and I saw no extra glue and it didn't affect my Copic coloring. I thought it would considering it was so thin. I think it will be trial and error. It is amazing that a glue can work great for someone and not for someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

Irene, thanks for the info!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Create With Me

Received 174 Likes on 147 Posts

I just noticed this with my Tombow glue - even coming out of the bottle I noticed it was yellow and I thought - wow - that looks different.... thanks for this info Irene - time to look for a new adhesive I think - it's too bad - as I really like Tombow (accept that it's tacky if some oozes out of the edges of a piece I adhered - wasn't liking that too much either)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Have you seen this?

Here's a review on craft glues

The 9 Best Craft Glues to Buy in 2018 - BestSeekers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

I’ve tried so many glues, and just keep coming back to my tried and true - Ranger’s Multi Medium Matte. I’ve swapped the tips for a needle tip that I’ve found easy to keep clear (a different one than the one Jennifer McGuire most often recommended). No yellowing, repositionable for a bit, really tough hold, basically invisible if a bit comes out from the edge of the paper, and the tip lets me get into tight spaces. Plus it comes in a jar as well larger applications. My #1 white “glue.”

BTW, it’s kept upside down in a little glue stand when being used, so when the bottle isn’t very full it’s not hard to squeeze. My “adhesive hand” isn’t in good shape so that’s a big help.

I occasionally use Gina K’s new glue and like it a lot. It’s more expensive but I’ve been impressed.

Once in a blue moon I use a a PH neutral PVA glue for heavier duty application, like CS on chipboard when I need a larger quantity and am not using Scor-Tape, but for card making, it’s Ranger MMM. Most of the rest I’ve donated, and was shocked at how many brands I had. But I’m glad I tried them.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I mostly use tape when card making. But I’ve started reaching for the Tombow when trying to layer diecuts for sentiments. Especially ovals!!!! For some reason I have the toughest time getting the ovals to line up correctly. I really need the wiggle room time a liquid adhesive gives for those.
I just recently ordered the Connect glue from GinaK Designs. Comes in a tube with a fairly small tip; equivalent to the Tombow Green tube tip. Doesn’t clog and dries clear.
Reply With Quote Likes