Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board???

Hi y'all I already own a Fiskars paper trimmer and a Martha Stewart Score Board with the additional envelope triangle. I've been toying with the idea of buying a We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board. I'd love suggestions to consider Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

There are several projects other than simply envelopes that you can make with a punch board. Unfortunately it doesn't work to post the link to a search in our Tutorials section and while on my phone it's not easy to link to individual tutorials, but if you use envelope punch board as a search term, you'll find other prohects, which increases its versatility.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

On of my very favorite tools. It makes it easy and fast to make many sizes of envelopes. After cutting your paper to size, you only measure once using the ruler at the top, and after that line up score lines, score and punch. Like Sabrina said, you can make other things too - like boxes and gift card holders.

Sam Hammond aka Pootles in the UK has lots of videos showing projects on her blog and youtube. Googling “pootles envelope punch board” brings up tons.

I’m not a big SU customer, but of course projects translate to any paper.

Here’s one older Pootles project - a box in “flower” box:
Pootles' Way Back Wednesday Envelope Punch Board Box in a Flower

A bag in a box:
Pootles Advent Countdown 2016 #18 Envelope Punch Board Bag in a Box Chocolate Coin Treats

And here’s a video by Frenchie about making any size box:
All Size Card Box with Envelope Punch Board - Frenchie Stamps

If you get it, enjoy!

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 11-27-2018 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

One of the few non-essential craft type tools I own. While not my most used tool - that honour goes to a mini spatula - it's very good at what it does, which is make custom envelopes and boxes. I use this site for calculating the sizes:

http://thecraftyowl.co.uk/boxbuster/
http://thecraftyowl.co.uk/EnvelopeExpert/

Just plug in what size envelope/box you want and it'll spit out the numbers, easy. If you need odd sized envelopes or boxes regularly, it's worth getting one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

One of my favorite tools, can’t recommend it enough. Easy to use and it encourages me to make cards of different sizes which can be a lot of fun! GREAT way to use up your paper stash (if you have one).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 03:43 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I use my SU! envelop punch board all the time to make square envies and tiny ones for gift cards and to make little pouches for scrapbook page journaling hiders. You will not regret having one of these time saving tools!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I used to measure and hand cut my envelopes I make out of calendar pages and 12 x 12 paper I think is too ugly for cards (Print goes on the inside). Now I can make envies MUCH easier with the punch board, not to mention all the other things you can use it to make. Glad I bought it. On sale, of course!
Check Tuesday Morning soon. Mine had Lots of WeR items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Thank you so much Embri for the links. I am the only one that looks forward to see what Embri will post?

I love my punch board. I struggle with math and measurements. I love you can set down and make a wide variety of envelopes quickly. You need to make a set of ATC envies for a swap and then make the envelopes to send them in you can do this in one quick session.

I don't think it's a need. There are so many great templates and other envelope tricks. I do think it's a lovely crafting luxury.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 03:54 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Thank you so much Embri for the links. I am the only one that looks forward to see what Embri will post?

I love my punch board. I struggle with math and measurements. I love you can set down and make a wide variety of envelopes quickly. You need to make a set of ATC envies for a swap and then make the envelopes to send them in you can do this in one quick session.

I don't think it's a need. There are so many great templates and other envelope tricks. I do think it's a lovely crafting luxury.

I’ve run into a couple people who didn’t use their punch boards because they said it was confusing. I kind of get that. The concept of measuring just once in one spot, then turning the paper 3 times to score and punch was a bit odd. I remember the “huh?!” feeling when being shown - by a Michael’s craft instructor!

Since it’s so easy to use, it’s in the “need” column in my craft room. But I’m a bit, shall we say, lazy? :shock:

I didn’t realize WRMK also makes an envelope punch board for small envelopes. I just wish it went down to 3/4” inches. Tuesday Morning had so many punch boards, but not that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 04:06 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

Since it’s so easy to use, it’s in the “need” column in my craft room. But I’m a bit, shall we say, lazy? :shock:

Same here

Last edited by fl_beachbum; 11-30-2018 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: coffee induced silliness removed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 04:27 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
Same here
Last edited by fl_beachbum; Today at 08:08 AM.. Reason: coffee induced silliness removed
In the email of your post I read your delightful coffee-induced silliness (CIS) - and you made some good points, too!

Rule: leave CIS in. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I have no idea why anyone would be interested in what I post, given most of it is horribly dry, pragmatic and not nearly sunshine-and-rainbows enough to fit in with most of y'all. But yay I guess? I try to at least offer something useful. Speaking of useful...

The first time I used the envelope punch board I ended up with 5/6th's of a box. Oh now you're just bragging, you say, well not quite.... I was trying to make an envelope. So that didn't quite work out. Still no idea how I managed that. So I can understand that it can seem unintuitive at first. Once you get down the 'measure on one side, punch, score, flip 180, do the same, then line up the other two sides with the guide/score line' part down, it's much easier.

The one other tip I can offer is to fold under and glue one of the flap tips that makes the envelope pocket, so there's a nice straight seam in the middle. Also Tombow glue or glue sticks for sticking the paper flaps together. Wrinkles less than liquid glue.

Oh, and if you lose hold of your paper before you score, but after you've punched, press the punch down and hold, then line the paper back up using the notch against the closed punch. Much easier than trying to find the right measurement again.

Last edited by Embri; 11-30-2018 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Missing words make for nonsensical sentences fail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Exactly - unintuitive is the word I should have used. I’d probably still be scratching my head if someone hadn’t shown me. The good news? Youtube videos.

It did take me a bit before I got the right pressure to not jump off the track. But if I recall, I did that with my Scor-Pal too initially. And while I have a teflon bone folder that I love, plus an embossing tool, after getting used to it I use the one included with the punch board, likening the storage space for it.
I use Scor-Tape or tape runner for envelopes, and for boxes, Scor-Tape most of the time. If moving too quickly and I leave a space that should have been adhered, I just insert the needle tip of my Ranger Multi Medium Matte in there for a tiny dab. (I replaced the regular tip.)

This talk. {sigh} I want the mini punch board now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

If some of you don't have the punchboard but are looking to buy one, I would recommend getting the 3 in 1 board. Not because it does boxes and bows but because it has an extending arm. Sometimes the envelopes I make take paper that is larger than the platform so you run off the board scoring. I'm saving my pennies for that one and maybe gift the one I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
If some of you don't have the punchboard but are looking to buy one, I would recommend getting the 3 in 1 board. Not because it does boxes and bows but because it has an extending arm. Sometimes the envelopes I make take paper that is larger than the platform so you run off the board scoring. I'm saving my pennies for that one and maybe gift the one I have.

Kathy, are you referring to the 123 Punchboard? If so, you make a great point.

I originally bought the 123 from Michaels and exchanged it it for the regular one, because almost all video instructions I was watching used the original one and it seemed a bit confusing.

That said, that could have been my newbieness speaking, and it could have been 100% fine and easy to use even if ideas showed the regular one. Clear as mud?

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Kathy, are you referring to the 123 Punchboard? If so, you make a great point.

I originally bought the 123 from Michaels and exchanged it it for the regular one, because almost all video instructions I was watching used the original one and it seemed a bit confusing.

That said, that could have been my newbieness speaking, and it could have been 100% fine and easy to use even if ideas showed the regular one. Clear as mud?

Beth

Yes! That's the one. I had no problem figuring out the original and bought the pillow box and regular box boards, but I would love to have the extra extending arm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 482 Likes on 302 Posts

I have the 123 and sold all my other punch boards because I can create as much with just the one. I love the extending arm.....

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 11:38 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
I have no idea why anyone would be interested in what I post, given most of it is horribly dry, pragmatic and not nearly sunshine-and-rainbows enough to fit in with most of y'all. But yay I guess? I try to at least offer something useful. Speaking of useful...
Because I like not all nearly sunshine and rainbows. I like blunt and in your face. I trust that better in life. If you knew me IRL I like blunt. I tell everyone "Baby doll just say it, no judgement from me!" I do think your posts are useful and full of great tips. Love it!

No offense to our beautiful sunshine and rainbow girls. You are beautiful too. I mean that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 11:41 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I’ve run into a couple people who didn’t use their punch boards because they said it was confusing. I kind of get that. The concept of measuring just once in one spot, then turning the paper 3 times to score and punch was a bit odd. I remember the “huh?!” feeling when being shown - by a Michael’s craft instructor!

I didn’t realize WRMK also makes an envelope punch board for small envelopes. I just wish it went down to 3/4” inches. Tuesday Morning had so many punch boards, but not that one.
I agree it is confusing at first. I read the directions like fifteen times and then found a YouTube video. I was like "Ohhhh, that is so easy!" Then I spent thirty minutes rewatching a two minute video because I still couldn't get it right. Then it finally clicked, lol.

Am I the only one that forgets to punch and just keeps turning the paper?

I love that little small envelope punch board. I like miniature things. I want one. I don't need one but I want one, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2018, 05:53 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I agree it is confusing at first. I read the directions like fifteen times and then found a YouTube video. I was like "Ohhhh, that is so easy!" Then I spent thirty minutes rewatching a two minute video because I still couldn't get it right. Then it finally clicked, lol.

Am I the only one that forgets to punch and just keeps turning the paper?

I love that little small envelope punch board. I like miniature things. I want one. I don't need one but I want one, lol.
Even though I had a real live human show me, I’d start an envelope and suddenly stop, wondering what to do next... and I’ve been trying to imagine Embri’s 5/6th box.

It’s easy to make tiny envelopes just using a score board - I did it with a Scor-Pal - but I need, um, want one too.

There’s something about tiny envelopes, right? The only swap I’ve participated in on SCS was for a ton of inchies and twinchies. Some of mine were tiny mounted envelopes with removable inserts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaughteroflightView Post
Hi y'all I already own a Fiskars paper trimmer and a Martha Stewart Score Board with the additional envelope triangle. I've been toying with the idea of buying a We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board. I'd love suggestions to consider Thanks in advance!

$9.70 on Amazon right now, free shipping if Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Envelope-We-M...pe+punch+board
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2018, 04:38 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

Here are a few tutorials:

Gift Card Wallet Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

Punch Board Snowman Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

Envelope Punch Board Tote Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree! If you can use a coupon, and get the 3 in 1 board, because there are so many things you can do with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Default Where can I buy this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post

Can you tell me who makes this one and where I can buy it? Thanks,;)

OK, wait... I just read the rest of the posts and see it's called 123 and I can get it at Michael's. Man, I love this group!!!

Last edited by dmcg; 12-05-2018 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: New info and spelling correction
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

Because I like not all nearly sunshine and rainbows. I like blunt and in your face. I trust that better in life. If you knew me IRL I like blunt. I tell everyone "Baby doll just say it, no judgement from me!" I do think your posts are useful and full of great tips. Love it!

No offense to our beautiful sunshine and rainbow girls. You are beautiful too. I mean that.

OT, but I had to chime in. Your post made me smile. One of the things I love the most about SCS is the wide range of personalities and view points of all the ladies on here. That's what makes it interesting, and educational.

Really random, off topic : Since I read the "sunshine and rainbows" part, I have a song lyric stuck in my head. Being me, I only remember a single line of it. I actually went and googled it. It came from this song. Amazing what sticks in my head. It's been at least 6 years since I've taught Sunday School, or listened to Veggie Tales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

I especially love Silly Songs with Larry! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

So afraid to watch/listen. :shock: (Ear worm avoidance.)

I’ll tell you what’s not rainbows and sunshine in my world, not that I’m a Pollyanna at the best of times. The ubiquitous scam ads for clothing over there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

[quote=bjeans;21750804]So afraid to watch/listen. :shock: (Ear worm avoidance.)

I’ll tell you what’s not rainbows and sunshine in my world, not that I’m a Pollyanna at the best of times. The ubiquitous scam ads for clothing over there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

The best is when two seconds after saying that they show it again. That happens here too. Grrr. So much for rainbows and sunshine!

Plus some of the clothing sites are rip-offs. Very cheap, poorly made lines from China that don’t match the photos at all. Hundreds of thousands of complaints. They shouldn’t be allowed to advertise anywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 06:10 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I am really old school...old for sure. I had a couple of the envelope boards..sold them all in garage sales. Too confusing for my pea brain and I don't make envelopes often enough. My old standby is the Kreate-a-lope envelope maker. Plastic templates you sit on your paper and hand tear to create the envelope. I have several sizes and you can get 10 or more templates for your needs.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Eloise, you're not the only "old school" one here. I could not for the life of me figure out how to use my envelope board. Finally a friend got on Skype and walked me through it. I thought, "Duh. How easy!" Made one perfect envelope. After that, I'll be darned if it wasn't hit or miss as to whether or not I'd get the same sized envelope two times in a row. When I thought I knew how to use the thing I got all excited, and bought 8x8 paper pads thinking I'd make envelopes for ALL my A2 cards. Hahahahahahahaha ... silly, silly me. After reading this thread, maybe I'll go look for those pads and give it another shot. (Don't anyone hold your breath.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

I appreciate all the thoughts so far, checked out all the hot links and really enjoyed Silly Songs with Larry ;) ...now debating between the original and 123 Punch Board...what I hear as the main difference is the extension arm that accommodates larger sheets of paper...other thoughts as I continue this inward debate???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2018, 03:44 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Either should work perfectly. I exhanged the 123 for the regular one because there were tons of videos and tutorials using the regular one (for boxes, bags, etc.) and very few for the 123. Having never used any punchboard, translating from the 123 to the other seemed confusing. And some videos showed large paper on the regular one.

Big BUT - I could have been 100% wrong. Maybe it would have taken 2 minutes to figure out. We used a regular one for the box making session at Michaels, and when I showed the instructor my 123, she suggested we use hers since she hadn’t looked at the 123 yet. (It was a class of one - me.)

Btw, while looking for something else, I stumbled across a video with ten things to make with the punchboard, including notched paper ribbon bows using the rounder. Probably obvious to others but didn’t occur to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

I still want the 123 board. Waiting for a 50% off coupon and then a trip to Michaels is in order. I am sure I will love it just for the extending arm alone. And I had no trouble at all figuring out how to use the regular board so I think I'll be OK. I have made bows with the rgular board. I have also made this snowflake. Its about 12" in diameter.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Woooo, Kathy! It reminds me of a dream catcher. Or mandala? Gorgeous!

And please don’t think I’m trying to talk anyone out of the 123. I just reflected back on my experience.

BTW, they now have a punchboard rack to hold a bunch of them or other things.

Meanwhile, when at my LSS on Thursday, the owner told me one of her helpers got the mini punch board at Tuesday Morning the other day for $6,00. I saw lots of punch boards at Michael’s last week but not that one. They even had the washi chopper I had thought about, but reviews convinced me not to get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Well I had my chance today Beth, but even with 60% off, I couldn't do it. I couldn't spend money on something I already have and works perfectly fine. If I could've sold my regular board, maybe but just to get the extended arm wasn't worth it. Itwas $34.99 at michaels and $44.99 at acmoore! My coupon was for acmoore, but Michaels would have taken the coupon. $14 was a great price. Will probably dream about it! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Kathy! LOL! And here I was wanting to know how it was to switch. Or add. But I get it. I stood for 10 minutes holding something at Tuesday Morning that was $7.00 and put it back, thinking how I wasn’t having any problem without it. Yet I’ve wasted far more money.

I was surprised the price was that high. I just looked and Walmart has it for $16.87! Do they honor coupons? I don’t think I’ve been in a Walmart for 20 years, though we have one not that far away, but if you do...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Walmart doesn't carry them in the store. Maybe online. I shop there at LEAST once a week and my son works for them. They take manufacturers coupons, but wouldn't accept competitors coupons, I don't think. If they have it that cheap, I wonder what my LSS could get it for? She has terrific prices. She doesn't have much of a mark up. I don't know how she stays afloat at her prices.

I usually carry it around the store with me, and talk myself out of it before checkout. At least I got a cute mama elephant stamp and die set for 50% off and another iris scrapbook case. Used the 60% off on ranger alcohol lift ink at acmoore. I needed it to try this weeks tutorial in the resource section.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

You’re right. And like Michaels, you can order on line and have free pick-up at the store - no shipping charge. They show $25.98 crossed out, btw.

I love the magic of Lift-Ink! Have fun with it and report back. Now that’s a great purchase. I could happily play with alcohol inks, Oxides and Lift-Ink, nothing else needed. Oh, except Versamark for heat embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

I probably would have justified it if I used the box or bow part of the board, but I know I wouldn't. I don't like those paper bows and I had the box board and gave it away. I have the pillow box board, which I have used on occasion.

I have yupo paper and alcohol inks. Just needed the lift ink to try the tutorial. I know my LSS has it but at 60% off, she wouldn't be able to beat the price.I paid $2.40 for it.
Reply With Quote Likes